PDA

View Full Version : Help me get started

Lee Indy
02-22-16, 12:52
I have an idea in my head on building my first .308 distance rifle.
Ive been hunting long range for ages growing up in Montana Ive taken some really long shots but never got into taking more than that first cold bore shot to drop dinner.

I want to get a rem 700 and add magpuls stock to it.

Im seeing the SPS line with threaded barrels for about 630 in hand.
magpul stock for 250

Will this get me started along the right line or should I go another route?

I would get a higher end setup but by the time i learn what im doing ill probably be needing a better barrel so i figured burn up the cheap one first.

Eurodriver
02-22-16, 12:56
Do you have a suppressor?

Lee Indy
02-22-16, 12:57
yes. well its in NFA jail

Eurodriver
02-22-16, 13:06
Short answer: A Timney 510, a Magpul stock, and a 20" TB Rem700 assuming it shoots well will suit you nicely. Your biggest investment at this point needs to be in glass.

Longer answer: I had very bad luck with the factory threaded Rem700s, but the 20" model seems to have decent luck. If you want to shoot far (more than 800 yards) I would get a 24" tube if going .308. I went 20" and I really struggle to get to 1000 yards. On the other hand, like you, I am shooting suppressed and I did not want to be in the field with a 24" tube and an 8" suppressor hanging off the end.
However, if you really want to get into this and you've got the distance to shoot far I would build something custom from the get go. You can have a custom 308 gun built on a surgeon action for ~$2,000 and it will embarrass factory Remingtons.

Lee Indy
02-22-16, 13:22
we have a 500 yard gong at our range but its very difficult to get past that near me in georgia. My buddy has a mcmillian and its a sweet shooting rifle just ways 15lbs

my buddy who is the main driving factor here suggest getting a fixed 10 to start from sfwa as a good entry glass.

I saw the Remington 84159 which is a medium taper bull barrel 20in threaded. its a bit cheaper than the hogue stocked guns as the one on its junk. worth a shit or should i spring for the heavy bull barrel?

Lee Indy
02-22-16, 13:23
I had very bad luck with the factory threaded Rem700s

all my hunting rifles are win70 actions. Love them but there is crap aftermarket support for them.

masan
02-22-16, 15:32
Current Rem 700's, unless you spend the $ for something like the Sendero, are nowhere near what the older Rem 700s are, in terms of quality. Euro has a pretty straight forward thread about his experience in this regard. They are not bad, I want to make that clear, but the quality control at Remington is not what it once was.

The Magpul stock is a fantastic piece of equipment at its price.

Your plan sounds like a good starting point for building a precision rifle. The 700 takes the cake in terms of aftermarket parts. Euro is right, get the trigger and good glass of your choice.

Then shoot the shit out of it. You may find that it is all you need.

Or like most of us you will re-barrel it, or get a custom action barreled, or some other money burning monstrosity that puts a shit eating grin on your face every time you pull the trigger.

Either way, have fun and get someone with some LR experience to help you get started, what you save in ammo will likely pay for your first re-barrel.

Primus Pilum
02-22-16, 18:26
all my hunting rifles are win70 actions. Love them but there is crap aftermarket support for them.

Not really. No need to gucci **** a M70 as most of the shit people throw on there is useless anyway.

M70 is in every way shame or form a better base to build a rifle with.

Can use any barrel blank, so remington is no advantage.

Has a fantastic stock trigger, does not need an upgrade like remington. Although there are options.

Stock wise, you can get Manners & McMillian stocks made. Remington has the edge with chassis, but the XLR works with the M70 and you can pick up CHEAP short action FN/Win McMillian stocks. My last A3 cost $150.

What else do you need? Is going to be truer from the factory, has 3 pos saftey, has real internal recoil lug and can use FN TBM without modification.

So if cheap garbage stocks and accessories are your thing, then the 700 wins. If you want to use good parts and have something to hand down one day, the M70 is a great base action.

My next build is a M70 in 6.5CM in a Mcmillian A3 with loggerhead, Proof Research Barrel, FN TBM systems, OPS titanium rail fully trued & cerekoted and the total cost will be under $2500. You couldn't touch a custom remington like this for much under $4K. And the Winchester is STILL a much better action and will hold its value.

PM me if you want details on how to do similar.

Lee Indy
02-22-16, 18:30
2500 is alot higher than my skill or budget. 1k max

Primus Pilum
02-22-16, 19:21
2500 is alot higher than my skill or budget. 1k max

Used FN SPR or look for a winchester Stealth in .308

Both use pre-64 "classic: CRF actions and will shoot sub moa with factory match ammo. Buying a Remington is like playing keno, only worse odds.

Build it up as you go along.

hotrodder636
02-23-16, 00:06
I'd be interested in a parts list for a $2000ish gun where the action alone is about $1200....

Short answer: A Timney 510, a Magpul stock, and a 20" TB Rem700 assuming it shoots well will suit you nicely. Your biggest investment at this point needs to be in glass.

Longer answer: I had very bad luck with the factory threaded Rem700s, but the 20" model seems to have decent luck. If you want to shoot far (more than 800 yards) I would get a 24" tube if going .308. I went 20" and I really struggle to get to 1000 yards. On the other hand, like you, I am shooting suppressed and I did not want to be in the field with a 24" tube and an 8" suppressor hanging off the end.
However, if you really want to get into this and you've got the distance to shoot far I would build something custom from the get go. You can have a custom 308 gun built on a surgeon action for ~$2,000 and it will embarrass factory Remingtons.

Lee Indy
02-23-16, 07:33
what do i need to look for in an optic? i dont have grands to spend on a name brand and for my skill level im sure there is a sub 500 dollar optic that will let me get learning holds and mil work. im leaning towards a mil mil scope as it seems to make more sense.

Eurodriver
02-23-16, 08:31
I'd be interested in a parts list for a $2000ish gun where the action alone is about $1200....

I fat fingered that. I meant $3k. :nono:

Eurodriver
02-23-16, 08:39
what do i need to look for in an optic? i dont have grands to spend on a name brand and for my skill level im sure there is a sub 500 dollar optic that will let me get learning holds and mil work. im leaning towards a mil mil scope as it seems to make more sense.

Everything being equal, you want your glass to "outshoot" your rifle. If you're only shooting at a 500 yard gong and have a strict budget, then the fixed 10x SWFA SS or something of that sort will be very good for you.

For what it's worth, I began precision shooting in Hawaii. I had a Rem 700 PSS with a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x. (http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/950843/bushnell-elite-3200-tactical-rifle-scope-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Optics+-+Scopes+-+Under+12X-_-Bushnell-_-950843&gclid=CLS7-qWNjssCFcgjgQodKoYMbg) in $20 Weaver rings and a $40 EGW base. Kokohead range has a small-ish gong at 440 yards and it got pretty boring to hit that thing even in those crazy winds (The 26" barrel helped). So it can certainly be done on a budget, but that rifle would never win any sort of competition and I almost never achieved hits at 440 without a sighter due to the adjustments being slightly off.

The problem is if you begin really cheap and want to upgrade, and you will, you'll basically be throwing money away buying Walmart grade junk and have to start all over. Ask me how I know.

Primus and Masan both know more than I (Masan actually taught me everything I know ;) ) but if I were doing it on a hardcore budget I would get

This scope: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx
This base: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1734562717/badger-ordnance-1-piece-maximized-picatinny-style-20-moa-elevated-scope-base-remington-700-short-action-matte
These rings: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1086981288401/seekins-precision-30mm-picatinny-style-rings-matte
This rifle: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/411537493/REM+700+Police+LTR+.308+700P

That is about as inexpensive as I would go, and I would pray to the Heavenly Father that you didn't get a lemon 700. Given that it's a 700P, you might be in better shape than a rack-grade AAC-SD or something. What that does is give you a platform that you can build up on. If in a few years you find yourself really enjoying precision shooting, you can get the action trued, throw a better scope in the same rings on the same base, have a Krieger installed, drop it in a chassis, get a custom bolt knob and new bottom metal.

Lee Indy
02-23-16, 09:14
This rifle: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/411537493/REM+700+Police+LTR+.308+700P

That is about as inexpensive as I would go, and I would pray to the Heavenly Father that you didn't get a lemon 700. Given that it's a 700P, you might be in better shape than a rack-grade AAC-SD or something. What that does is give you a platform that you can build up on. If in a few years you find yourself really enjoying precision shooting, you can get the action trued, throw a better scope in the same rings on the same base, have a Krieger installed, drop it in a chassis, get a custom bolt knob and new bottom metal.

Loud and clear on the scope stuff and where i was leaning to begin with actually. the rifle is the issue here.

im looking and trying to justify the 1k price tag which is what i have for an entire rifle. is that stock worth a shit? its fluted but non threaded. How much is it to get a barrel threaded? is that something that the whole rifle has to come apart for?

and at 1k I can get a ruger precision rifle. where does that stand by comparison?

Eurodriver
02-23-16, 09:24
The RPR is right up your alley, no doubt. If you can swing it, all you'd need are the rings and scope and you'd be good. I have no experience with them, but from what I've read they appear to be a good intro rifle.

The problem comes later when you want to start shooting 8" Gongs at 1000 yards and the Ruger Hammer Forged barrel won't do it. Maybe by then they will have custom barrel makers producing them.

Threading runs around $150.

masan
02-23-16, 09:38
For Optics, you could always look into the fixed power SWFA, though i would gravitate towards a second focal plane Vortex like this:

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-rifle-scope-ebr-1-mrad-pst-416s1-m.aspx

edit* that is just one example of the rough price for a 2nd FP Vortex Viper PST, pick you poison as far as mil, moa as you said

Variable power, well regarded here, top notch customer service if you do have an issue.

There are a lot of non Rem 700 options you can pursue. The Ruger Precision Rifle has been well received, there are lots of threads here in that regard. I would throw the Tikka T3 CTR out there as another possible choice for you in the $1000 price range:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-ctr-rifles.aspx

Here is one of the threads here about it (worth a read for sure):

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?161711-Tikka-T3-CTR-260-Remington

In my opinion it is better out of the box that the Rem 700's in that price range.

I probably should mention that I am in no way associated with Eurooptic, I just reference them because I knew they carried both products I mentioned. Shop around for best prices obviously.

masan
02-23-16, 10:37
Now that I think about it, that is a really good price for that scope... usually around $700 if memory serves. My wallet hates me sometimes.

Still not associated with eurooptics.

Lee Indy
02-23-16, 11:06
CTR is a good looking rifle. Im a fan of the tikka action for sure. question is if the factory stock is worth a damn. i know the hogue is world class crap which is why i was just going to swap it for the magpul on the Rem 700.

Primus Pilum
02-23-16, 11:38
The RPR is right up your alley, no doubt. If you can swing it, all you'd need are the rings and scope and you'd be good. I have no experience with them, but from what I've read they appear to be a good intro rifle.

The problem comes later when you want to start shooting 8" Gongs at 1000 yards and the Ruger Hammer Forged barrel won't do it. Maybe by then they will have custom barrel makers producing them.

Threading runs around $150.

Most of the top dogs are already making drop in RPR barrels.

Trying to chase every dollar is going to result in a gun that never gets shot. People need to be honest how much this spoty/hobby costs so they have clear expectations going in.

Primus Pilum
02-23-16, 11:40
CTR is a good looking rifle. Im a fan of the tikka action for sure. question is if the factory stock is worth a damn. i know the hogue is world class crap which is why i was just going to swap it for the magpul on the Rem 700.

The factory stock is fine. It free floats and is acceptable until you upgrade to something better. Buying the tikka over just about anything else in that price range would be wise. Its guarenteed to shoot sub moa, and every .260 CTR or Sporter I have seen will print 1/2 moa with factory match ammo. I had a 10 shot 300 yard group that was a shy under 1.4" with shitty SWA 123gr scenars that had like a 40 fps stdev with a Tikka Sporter.

Primus Pilum
02-23-16, 11:43
For Optics, you could always look into the fixed power SWFA, though i would gravitate towards a second focal plane Vortex like this:

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-rifle-scope-ebr-1-mrad-pst-416s1-m.aspx

edit* that is just one example of the rough price for a 2nd FP Vortex Viper PST, pick you poison as far as mil, moa as you said

Variable power, well regarded here, top notch customer service if you do have an issue.

There are a lot of non Rem 700 options you can pursue. The Ruger Precision Rifle has been well received, there are lots of threads here in that regard. I would throw the Tikka T3 CTR out there as another possible choice for you in the $1000 price range:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-ctr-rifles.aspx

Here is one of the threads here about it (worth a read for sure):

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?161711-Tikka-T3-CTR-260-Remington

In my opinion it is better out of the box that the Rem 700's in that price range.

I probably should mention that I am in no way associated with Eurooptic, I just reference them because I knew they carried both products I mentioned. Shop around for best prices obviously.

Stay away from Vortex PST, astronomically high failure rate and not worth the money they command.

Look at SWFA SS 10x on the low end, SWFA 3-15 around $500 mark and used bushnell DMR /LRHS closer to the $1K mark. All can be sold for what you paid for them when you decide to upgrade.

masan
02-23-16, 12:36
Stay away from Vortex PST, astronomically high failure rate and not worth the money they command.

Would you please share some info on this? I have never heard the Vortex PST and "astronomically high failure rate" used in the same sentence before. I have had 6, all but one track and perform well. The one that did not track properly (box test) was fixed at no cost by Vortex (no suprise there, Vortex CS is top notch, check the forums here) and now performs just like the others.

Usually I purchase either Nightforce or Vortex, dependent upon the rifles purpose and how good of a scope I feel it needs.

OP, a quick search about Vortex Viper PST on the website here will yield many results. Same with SWFA, do your own research, eliminate any bias from me or anyone else. That said, anything you buy in the $500 range is just that, a $500 scope, so long as it tracks well and you can see your target, thats all you need. Illuminated reticles, zero stops, not needed for what you seem to want to do (IMO).

Keep us informed of your progress please, always interesting to see how people go about these things!

Kenneth
02-23-16, 12:40
Basically out of ALL the PST's sold you only hear about the bad ones. They are always back ordered at vortex so something about them must be working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Indy
02-23-16, 13:58
So i was doing alot of reading and there seems to be a fair number of people liking the falcon line of scopes for a FFP mil mil variable under 500. I know its not gonna have fantastic glass but for 500 yards it should be fine and be able to run out a bit further on a clear day im sure. Ive been shooting my nikon prostaff at 650+ on my 7mm mag and dropping game for years and its a "cheap scope" If there was a mil dot one id probably buy it for this build.

Lee Indy
02-23-16, 18:09
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160224/4263b1544cee02677807b29237966e18.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160224/e42612c96c58bb3e170d8fb12bfcf989.jpg

This was at the local range on the counter. Not a bad price

Primus Pilum
02-23-16, 19:02
Would you please share some info on this? I have never heard the Vortex PST and "astronomically high failure rate" used in the same sentence before. I have had 6, all but one track and perform well. The one that did not track properly (box test) was fixed at no cost by Vortex (no suprise there, Vortex CS is top notch, check the forums here) and now performs just like the others.

Usually I purchase either Nightforce or Vortex, dependent upon the rifles purpose and how good of a scope I feel it needs.

OP, a quick search about Vortex Viper PST on the website here will yield many results. Same with SWFA, do your own research, eliminate any bias from me or anyone else. That said, anything you buy in the $500 range is just that, a $500 scope, so long as it tracks well and you can see your target, thats all you need. Illuminated reticles, zero stops, not needed for what you seem to want to do (IMO).

Keep us informed of your progress please, always interesting to see how people go about these things!

6 out of tens of thousands is hardly a reliable sample size. Most people who buy the cheap shit never really run the gear hard. Those that actually do, see the failures. Even without hard use, they are a failure prone optic. Go to any Long range centric website and you will see examples for yourself.

They have an amazing warranty and everyone raves about it because it is used so often. When it costs them $100 to make a scope they can afford to replace it 3 or 4 times because it retails for $900. Why would you have to pay to fix it, Tracking is 100% a manufacturing/design/QC fault. Something that should work out of the box without issue. That's like getting shot in the arm and then being grateful the guy who shot you payed the hospital bill. Vortex is really 2 companies. Razor and non Razor. Razor shit is good to go, but the rest of their optics are a poor value and overpriced. People buy them because they are cheap asses and there are not many good options in the sub $1K optics realm. You see Vortex advertisements in every store, website and magazine. How many SWFA optics are in your local gun store or a whole page add in American Guns? You get what you pay for, especially with optics.

And Surprise, Most optics manufactures have fantastic CS. They all will take care of you so vortex really offers no additional value via CS.

People who actually shoot often and don't baby their gear are going to see issues more than someone who goes safe to bench and back to safe after shooting a box of ammo twice a year.

Primus Pilum
02-23-16, 19:05
So i was doing alot of reading and there seems to be a fair number of people liking the falcon line of scopes for a FFP mil mil variable under 500. I know its not gonna have fantastic glass but for 500 yards it should be fine and be able to run out a bit further on a clear day im sure. Ive been shooting my nikon prostaff at 650+ on my 7mm mag and dropping game for years and its a "cheap scope" If there was a mil dot one id probably buy it for this build.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160224/4263b1544cee02677807b29237966e18.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160224/e42612c96c58bb3e170d8fb12bfcf989.jpg

This was at the local range on the counter. Not a bad price

Disposable scope and Disposable rifle so unless you like it as is, then look elsewhere. Howa, Tikka & Winchester are the best bang for your buck and all 3 provide solid upgrade paths down the road. The chance of you getting a poor shooter from those 3 is very very low. Remington, Savage, Ruger, ect...... not so much.

Dist. Expert 26
02-23-16, 22:55
If I were you I'd jump over to the PX section on Snipershide and wait for a good deal to pop up. You could likely find a rifle with the work already done and stay within your budget if you look hard enough. Same goes for glass. I picked up a brand new scope for $750 under retail cause the dude won it at a match but was sponsored by a different brand. Not knocking M4C by any means, but the Hide is dedicated to this type of shooting so you're much more likely to find what you need there.

In regards to the RPR, its definitely a solid choice. You can buy a drop in barrel from Longrifles Inc and install it in your home shop (provided you have the tools), and they can seriously shoot. Consider getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor if you really want to enjoy shooting at distance. Factory match ammo is actually more readily available and oftentimes cheaper than .308.

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 05:53
If I were you I'd jump over to the PX section on Snipershide and wait for a good deal to pop up.

Now that is a capital Idea! Heck half the reason im here is buying and selling junk in the EE. mostly buying.

Factory match ammo is actually more readily available and oftentimes cheaper than .308.

My intent was to reload my own .308 i already load everything else i own and figured .308 was the easiest caliber to get components and info for.

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 08:23
If I were you I'd jump over to the PX section on Snipershide

Damn their forum sucks. the lay out is all wonky non of the features work. the mark all as read isnt working.

masan
02-24-16, 08:40
Wow, where to begin. Wait, I know. I have been posting with the aim of giving my opinion to the OP, not to argue with anyone. I have attempted to make my posts both polite and informative, though I admit to some frustration with some of the responses of Primus. That said, I freely admit that I may just be misunderstanding what he is trying to say. My responses are, obviously, the ones in red.

6 out of tens of thousands is hardly a reliable sample size. At what point do I claim that my six are a reliable sample size? You could of course make the argument that my failure rate of 1 in 6 may be construed as a small sample.

Most people who buy the cheap shit never really run the gear hard. I would agree, as I said in the post you quoted, my rifles get either Nightforce or Vortex optics depending upon how good of a scope I feel that particular rifle needs. I feel as if you are trying to imply that I or the OP am a cheap person not running his gear hard, not sure how you could know that one way or another but I digress.

Those that actually do, see the failures.Agreed, I have seen failures from just about any firearm or firearm component/accessory that I own/have owned. Isn't that the point? Run the gun, figure out what it needs to run well, fix it. Any time I build a new AR I try to take a class with it, as I feel that it is one of the best ways to bring any flaws in it to light. Hell, I plan to take the the AR I recently built for my wife (link below) to the next Vickers Carbine course in my area.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?180668-New-build-for-my-wife-in-red

Even without hard use, they are a failure prone optic. Go to any Long range centric website and you will see examples for yourself. Prior to the post of mine you quoted, I spent roughly an hour yesterday on the Hide looking for this very thing, no luck, same with Long Range Hunting and Accurate shooter. Which is why I asked if you would share some info in this regard. It was a simple and honest request at the time, now I feel that I should stop holding my breath.

People buy them because they are cheap asses and there are not many good options in the sub $1K optics realm. You see Vortex advertisements in every store, website and magazine. How many SWFA optics are in your local gun store or a whole page add in American Guns? You get what you pay for, especially with optics. Not once have I said anything negative about SWFA, no reason to do so, they have a fine track record. I did encourage the OP to do his own research into the matter, as it is ultimately his money and his choice. And what is American Guns? (mostly sarcasm, I don't waste money on magazines of any sort other that ones to feed my firearms.:D

People who actually shoot often and don't baby their gear are going to see issues more than someone who goes safe to bench and back to safe after shooting a box of ammo twice a year. You seem to have a beef against the casual shooter, thats cool I guess, to each his own.

OP, if you are still reading this, I feel that it is important at this point to tell you that in my experience the Vortext PST line is quite durable. My PRS rig wore a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 for two years until I had saved up the $ to put a Nightforce ATACR on it (Christmas present this year, sooo excited, as I usually just buy the NXS line from nightforce). That rifle is chambered in 6.5-284. Over those two years, between practice, informal matches in my area (PRS has finally started to grow here :D), shooting recreationally with friends, and some LR Hunting, I have re-barreled that particular action 5 times. The 6.5-284 is a barrel burner for sure, I average around 1000 rounds before I need to swap. I have a new Bartlein barrel arriving for it today, and plan to cut the chamber this weekend (actually doing the build on a new custom action, the old one is a trued Rem 700).

Which means that roughly (there are about 400 rounds on the current barrel) the Viper PST 6-24 has seen about 5400 rounds of 6.5-284, used in many different enviroments. It will now be my back up glass for that particular rifle. Hopefully this will give you something of a watermark to compare your own needs to.

As for the Falcon line, I haven't read much about them since they got popular in my area a few years ago (like 2010 or 2011 I think). They sounded like a favorable choice for an inexpensive FFP optic, would be useful for you if you want to learn to mil targets. If I remember right SWFA is the US importer for them, so that is also a good thing.

As for the Marlin, I would encourage you to look elswhere. Marlin is now part of the Remington/Freedom Arms abortion (my opinion, sorry :rolleyes: ) and the quality of their firearms has gone downhill much like current Remingtons. Which sucks.

If I were in your shoes I would look and wait for decent sales (think holidays) and try to find that Tikka T3 CTR I mentioned for a good price.

masan
02-24-16, 09:11
If I were you I'd jump over to the PX section on Snipershide and wait for a good deal to pop up. You could likely find a rifle with the work already done and stay within your budget if you look hard enough. Same goes for glass. I picked up a brand new scope for $750 under retail cause the dude won it at a match but was sponsored by a different brand. Not knocking M4C by any means, but the Hide is dedicated to this type of shooting so you're much more likely to find what you need there.

In regards to the RPR, its definitely a solid choice. You can buy a drop in barrel from Longrifles Inc and install it in your home shop (provided you have the tools), and they can seriously shoot. Consider getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor if you really want to enjoy shooting at distance. Factory match ammo is actually more readily available and oftentimes cheaper than .308.

^This, got a Mcrees Chassis in much the same way.

Also, here is Frank G ringing steel at 1125 (i think) with the setup Dist. Expert 26 is talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AlwsoMYOVg

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 09:15
Wow, where to begin. Wait, I know. I have been posting with the aim of giving my opinion to the OP, not to argue with anyone. I have attempted to make my posts both polite and informative, though I admit to some frustration with some of the responses of Primus. That said, I freely admit that I may just be misunderstanding what he is trying to say. My responses are, obviously, the ones in red.

OP, if you are still reading this, I feel that it is important at this point to tell you that in my experience the Vortext PST line is quite durable. My PRS rig wore a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 for two years until I had saved up the $ to put a Nightforce ATACR on it (Christmas present this year, sooo excited, as I usually just buy the NXS line from nightforce). That rifle is chambered in 6.5-284. Over those two years, between practice, informal matches in my area (PRS has finally started to grow here :D), shooting recreationally with friends, and some LR Hunting, I have re-barreled that particular action 5 times. The 6.5-284 is a barrel burner for sure, I average around 1000 rounds before I need to swap. I have a new Bartlein barrel arriving for it today, and plan to cut the chamber this weekend (actually doing the build on a new custom action, the old one is a trued Rem 700).

Which means that roughly (there are about 400 rounds on the current barrel) the Viper PST 6-24 has seen about 5400 rounds of 6.5-284, used in many different enviroments. It will now be my back up glass for that particular rifle. Hopefully this will give you something of a watermark to compare your own needs to.

As for the Falcon line, I haven't read much about them since they got popular in my area a few years ago (like 2010 or 2011 I think). They sounded like a favorable choice for an inexpensive FFP optic, would be useful for you if you want to learn to mil targets. If I remember right SWFA is the US importer for them, so that is also a good thing.

As for the Marlin, I would encourage you to look elswhere. Marlin is now part of the Remington/Freedom Arms abortion (my opinion, sorry :rolleyes: ) and the quality of their firearms has gone downhill much like current Remingtons. Which sucks.

If I were in your shoes I would look and wait for decent sales (think holidays) and try to find that Tikka T3 CTR I mentioned for a good price.

Yeah i started ignoring him after the first post.

another optic brand i saw mentioned on SH was the athlon optics. Seem nice but they are really new.

I like the Tikka and have shot a few lites before and they were great guns. My head is still wrapped around the magpul stock on a rem700 tho. Cant seem to kick it. I can get the rifle in hand for 600 and the stock for 224 and can find a used 700p for 750 and run that before swapping the HS precision stock out for the magpul if i wan to. at what serial number did they start going to crap. maybe i can lay my hands on an older one. Cheapest I can get the ctr for is 878 in hand

masan
02-24-16, 09:51
Most of my 700's are from the late 80's, and they all have/had factory barrels that would shoot under 1 MOA. I still have one Rem 700 that is post Freedom Group (I think I got it in 2013, Freedom Group got rolling in 07 I think). It will not shoot under 2 MOA with the factory barrel, regardless of my handloads or factory ammo. I have the action slated for a future project and the barrel for a tomato stake).

What I am getting at here is that the actions are still pretty darn good (triggers are hot garbage, not counting the 40x or a well worked Walker) but the barrels are basically tomato stakes and you already know about Hogue overmoulded underwhelming stocks.

The Magpul stock is nice, I have a 700 in one, great feel, definitely an upgrade over the factory stock and IMO best stock in that price range. That said, I do not think that it offers anything over the factory stock on the Tikka CTR, other thank that Magpul look (which I dig, totally feel you there).

So, for 600 plus 224 for the Rem/Magpul Combo you are at 824. I can pretty much guarantee you will change the trigger (seriously, Rem triggers today are like Glock factory sights, place holders until you put something worth while in it) so add on the cost of whatever trigger you want (Timney make a nice trigger for a good price, likely your best choice, though I personally prefer the Jewell or the Anshutz style Mod 22 from Xtreme, though they are way more $)

Or 878 for the CTR which, as is, will be IMO as good as but likely better than the Rem I describe above (factory stock, trigger and barrel are quite good).

As for an older 700, if you want a threaded barrel for your can, you will likely need to have a gunsmith thread it as it will be even harder finding an old 700 with threads.

The Ruger Precision Rifle is a great choice for entry level. It sounds like you hunt, so IMO the CTR may be the better choice as it could double as a hunting rifle, while the RPR is gonna be heavier than I would want to hump around.

Cannot speak to Athlon optics, sorry. Your initial idea of SWFA was a good one, solid scope.

Hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters too much.

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 12:11
It sounds like you hunt, so IMO the CTR may be the better choice as it could double as a hunting rifle,

Yeah weight is an issue. i dont want a bench only gun. if i can keep the entire rifle under 10lbs id be happy as hell

masan
02-24-16, 12:52
Yeah weight is an issue. i dont want a bench only gun. if i can keep the entire rifle under 10lbs id be happy as hell

I have done the "ten pound walkin' gun". Proud to say it is now an 8(ish)lb walkin gun.

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 12:58
Yeah my favorite carry gun is my TC venture 270. that thing is LIGHT!!!

Never gonna get there with a bull barrel tho. how much does your magpul 700 weight?

masan
02-24-16, 13:18
I believe the stock comes in right at 3lbs, I added one spacer for LoP. That entire rifle is in the 7lb range.

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 13:42
Got a pic?

masan
02-24-16, 14:12

Bonus pic of one of the barrel blanks that got delivered today, #3 profile Bartlein that will go on that particular rifle later this year.

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 14:33
What does that weight total if you have a scale? I saw a review that listed the weight of the 20in spa at 8.2 lbs.

masan
02-24-16, 14:45
my super precise kitchen scale says 7lb 9oz, no mag inserted, no sling attached

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 14:47
That's pretty nice. Wonder how much a 20in barreled action weights in at

masan
02-24-16, 14:50
I should mention that particular rifle was originally a 24" barrel, now down to 20" after chasing the lands (re chamber) and cutting off a worn muzzle end (.243, I love me my barrel burner cartridges), the barrel is a stellar performer and I am milking it for everything it has got. Sadly, its time is nearly up.

masan
02-24-16, 14:51
That's pretty nice. Wonder how much a 20in barreled action weights in at

Will depend heavily upon barrel contour.

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 14:54
Heavy or medium like the two sps options listed on rems website now

masan
02-24-16, 15:07
Check out this list of contours that Krieger does. Most barrel manufacturers are in the same ballpark for these numbers. You can figure out what the Rem contours weigh in at for the barrel blank length, just subtract the difference in your desired barrel length. There is a formula out there that I cannot remember in regards to getting a more exact number but for the life of me I cannot remember it.

https://kriegerbarrels.com/contours#bolt

For reference, the barrel in my pic is a heavy sporter profile, as is the barrel on the rifle, so 3.5lb for the blanks, minus what is lost after being chambered, cut to length, crowned, etc.

masan
02-24-16, 15:13
If you are trying to figure out how much the Rem 700 will weight in a Magpul stock, try looking up the weight of the Remington stock, subtract it from the weight of the rifle you are interested in, then you have the weight of the barreled action, add 3lb for the magpul stock

edited because i cannot spell

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 15:14
The hogue is 2.8 or something along those lines. Problem is I can't find a true weight on the rem

masan
02-24-16, 15:22
Looks like 7.5lb for the 20"

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 15:37
Review I found by looking up the upc stated it was 8.3 that the spec was wrong. I'm wondering who is right

masan
02-24-16, 15:42
Seems like you are leaning towards the 700 in a Magpul stock then?

Lee Indy
02-24-16, 15:49
590 for the rem. And I can dump more money into an optic. If it's junk I'll sell it and save more. I'll get the stock later. Rem let's me start shooting now

Lee Indy
02-26-16, 13:37
Cz550 varmint kevlar. Thoughts

jbjh
02-26-16, 17:26
Cz550 varmint kevlar. Thoughts

The CZ is a nice gun, but remember you will not be able to load singles. Everything must be mag fed.

If you are thinking about that direction, take a look at the Tikkas. For the money, the Varmint and Tactical models are hard to beat.

And don't be afraid of buying a used gun. A .308 with a low round count, say under 1000 rounds, has a lot of life left in it. The mil-dot matheletes on Snipershide can be a good source of used starter guns.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

Lee Indy
02-26-16, 17:34
I've been eyeing their sale threads.

On the tikka is it a disadvantage that the rail is built in

masan
02-26-16, 18:08

This creates a stiffer action, a good thing.

One of the complaints about Rem 700 actions is that they are bananna shaped, once you remove metal from the receiver for both the ejection port and magazine the remaining metal is all that is left to support the weight of the barrel.

*edited with Rem comments, and because my spelling is garbage.

Lee Indy
02-26-16, 18:17
Is there another way to get the extra 20moa from the base like with the rails available for the rem

jbjh
02-26-16, 21:04
I've been eyeing their sale threads.

It has integrated dovetail slots for their scope rings, but the picatinny rail is removable

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

Lee Indy
02-27-16, 13:31
Took my 7mag out today. Love hitting steel at 500. Need better Glass I was easily on target with the nikon pro staff but my buddies McMillin with the nightforce on it with 3.5 to 15 was much nicer to look thru.

Lee Indy
02-29-16, 16:55
Bought a rifle today. Older rem700. Makes nice groups

Springfield
02-29-16, 17:57
Glad to hear you got a shooter, there are a lot of options for the 700 out there. I was kind of in the same boat as you and wanted to put together a budget .308 that was accurate but didn't have $3k to spend on the whole package.

6 years ago I bought a 700 SPS tactical (20'' non-threaded), ditched the crappy x-mark trigger and Hogue stock for a Timney 510 and a Bell & Carlson M40-A1 stock. Slapped a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x mil dot on a 20 moa base and feed it 168 gr A-max handloads over Varget. It can't compete with the high dollar builds but at only $1100ish it bangs steel at 500 yards+ with no problems.

Lee Indy
03-01-16, 06:42
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu217/no0ne1080/Targets_zpsrvaspdes.jpg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/no0ne1080/media/Targets_zpsrvaspdes.jpg.html)
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu217/no0ne1080/Rem700left_zpsy5s5aw23.jpg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/no0ne1080/media/Rem700left_zpsy5s5aw23.jpg.html)

comes with a bedded 20moa rail already and I ordered the scope I wanted. Now I just need a set of rings. How do I know what height Ill need?

Eurodriver
03-01-16, 10:29
What size is the objective bell on the scope you got?

Lee Indy
03-01-16, 11:02
50mm I think

Lee Indy
03-03-16, 14:16
Rifle should be here early next week. WOOO HOO

and my shooting buddy was just having a conversation with the owner of the range we use turns out he has another range close by that is just over 1500 yards. My buddies been a member of the range so long he said we could have access to that range too. so happy days

Maccel
03-06-16, 01:35
Here is a good article (http://gunivore.com/accessories/three-gun-competition-scopes/) on scopes if you're interested.

Lee Indy
03-28-16, 07:18
Finally have the whole gun together.
Picked up a Slightly Used AAC-SD Rem 700
Added a Magpul Stock and Magwell
Found out the trigger was under the recall. replaced with a timiney instead.
Finally recieved my Athlon scope (amazing optic)
Mounted into a set of seekins rings.

She shoots well. Very happy with my budget precision rifle
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1672/25485806424_1c84d8afa2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EQ6qkA)2016-03-26 10.32.05 (https://flic.kr/p/EQ6qkA) by Oscar Indy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470833@N04/), on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1446/25998047832_66404d7aec_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FBmMS1)2016-03-25 18.04.28 (https://flic.kr/p/FBmMS1) by Oscar Indy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470833@N04/), on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1575/25998035602_2968c9a494_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FBmJe9)Group1 (https://flic.kr/p/FBmJe9) by Oscar Indy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470833@N04/), on Flickr

masan
03-28-16, 18:08
Looks good.

Is that Wiebad bag standard fill or Ultralight?