PDA

View Full Version : PICs Of My Latest 6.8 SPC Build

MadDog
08-17-08, 13:17
This is the final incarnation of my latest 6.8 SPB build. I had a Docter MRD on top of my TA31f ACOG but found I had to go from a cheek weld to a "chin" weld to use it. I just tried out an Aimpoint T-1 Micro and love it. I am left handed so I mounted the T-1 on the left side. Now I just rotate the rifle 5 degrees to use the T-1 and I keep the same cheek weld. This is going to be my 3-Gun Open Class rifle as I am tired of 5.56 not being able to knock down the steel plates first time every time on the longer 400 yard targets. The 6.8 SPC does the trick. The TA31f has a 5.56 BDC so I am reloading my own rounds with 90 gr. Speer TNT's which match up with the 5.56 BDC very closely. Here is what is inside:

DPMS Upper and Lower
Cardinal Armory 16" Light 1:11 bbl. (I got one of the good ones. some didn't)
D&L 12" FF Handguard
Smith Vortex FH
Trijicon TA31f ACOG
JP ACOG Mount
Aimpoint T-1 Micro
Daniel Defense 1:00/11:00 Offset Mount
Timney 4 lb. Drop-In Trigger
MagPul Enhanced Trigger Guard
LaRue FUG Vert Grip
MagPul MIAD Grip
LMT SOPMOD Stock
Vltor Ambi Sling Receiver End Plate

MadDog :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/New68SPC005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/New68SPC002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/New68SPC004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/New68SPC009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/New68SPC010.jpg

Robb Jensen
08-17-08, 13:27
I like that FF tube, is it pretty lightweight?

MadDog
08-17-08, 13:36
Very light weight, in fact it is lighter than my LaRue of the same length. It is thick so it is as strong as any on the market.

MadDog :D

The-Jarhead
08-17-08, 22:48
Looks damn good. I love the 6.8 Inside decal. Where'd you get them?

maximus83
08-18-08, 12:06
That is a great-looking build. Being LH as well, I'm especially interested in your optics setup with the angle-mounted T-1.

Did you find that you can transition quickly from the Acog to the T-1 and keep your shots in a tight pattern, or do you have to do something to compensate for the canted rifle?

MadDog
08-18-08, 12:38
Jarhead:
The 6.8 inside isn't a sticker. I had a local shop laser engrave the lower. I went to Intel's web site and printed their Pentium Logo. I then took it to a local laser engraver (who also mechanical engraves and has lots of gun engraving experience) and told him to substitute the word Pentium for 6.8 and keep the font the same. He scanned the artwork into his computer and laser engraved it on the spot for $15.

maximus:
With the T-1 set up on a DD 11:00/1:00 offset mount you just need to rotate the rifle just a little to get a good sight picture and you keep the same cheek weld. It was very easy to zero the T-1 as you just bench-rest the rifle on some sandbags with the rifle rotated so the T-1 is level. Then you make your adjustments. The T-1 is zeroed at 50 meters and the ACOG is zeroed at 100 meters. You just need to figure out your hold-over for distances in between for the T-1 and the ACOG has BDC out to 800 meters. With the SOPMOD stock it is very comfortable and target acquisition if very quick even when transitioning between the two optics. This is the best setup I have tried and like I said, I sold my MRD/ACOG mount set up for this.

MadDog :cool:

BushmasterFanBoy
08-18-08, 16:20
Yea that looks pretty slick. I don't have any experience running an ACOG but I guess it is significantly slower than a typical red dot, enough to warrant the T-1?

MadDog
08-18-08, 17:52
Bushmaster:
Acquiring a good site picture with the ACOG is a little slower then a red-dot sight, but not that much slower. What really warrants the ACOG is that my tired 53 year old eyes can't see shit past 300 meters and the ACOG brings everything up close and personal. With bullet drop compensation out to 800 meters, the ACOG/T-1 makes a great combination.

bushmasterar15
08-18-08, 23:10
I'm in the process of my 6.8. I like the logo on the mags is that sprayed or engraved? If you have the pic can you email it? Thanks

MadDog
08-19-08, 07:09
Bushmastrar15:
The 6.8 inside on the lower is engraved but the skull on the mags is DuraCoated. I do not have a picture of the skull as it was done by a guy that calls himself Gr8santini and resides on the XCR Forum. He did the entire DuraCoat jobe for me for free. He will coat anything for you for free as long as you want the colors he already has. If you want a different color you will have to provide it. All he asks is that you pay for return over-night shipping.

MadDog ;)

Belloc
09-12-08, 09:10
Edit.

RogerinTPA
09-12-08, 09:15
That's one damn fine weapon you got there! I like the setup and the "6.8 inside" engraving.:cool:

Cold
09-16-08, 17:33
Excuse my ignorance but are those 30 round mags?

If his mags are made by Barrett then they likely are. Barrett makes the only 30 rounds 6.8 mag on the market right now.

CCFP
09-28-08, 08:31
That is absolutely beautiful.

mark5pt56
09-28-08, 08:36
lOOKS GREAT!

You should add the pics to the sticky'ed thread on this page so it doesn't go away in time.

Mark

Dan Goodwin
09-28-08, 09:11
This carbine would do very well for duty purposes, especially for we mature officers. We're authorizing personal optics (from a short list) and that setup has merit...especially for guys on days.

Like the engraving, very much. Please pm your engraver's contact info.

The Duracoat skull is very cool as well, though maybe a bit aggressive for on-duty: don't want anyone to think "deadly force" might actually be ummm deadly.

It is inspiring me to cut some stencils and put my badge no. on mags that way, however. Probably last longer than paint pen.

MaceWindu
09-28-08, 15:08
BUIS?

Mace

MadDog
11-08-08, 15:18
Mace:
I don't have much need for BUIS since it is highly unlikely that an ACOG and T-1 would fail at the same time. Besides I use this for 3-gun matches only. Targets arn't likely to shoot back.

St.Michael
11-19-08, 20:54
dude that paint job and set up is amazing. so I was wondering how to get in contact with that guy who did the skull. I wouldn't mind getting that stencil off him.

MadDog
11-19-08, 21:34
St. Michael,

The guy that did my DuraCoat job as well as the skull on the mags can be found on the XCR Forum. He goes by the name of Gr8Santini and posts in the Gallery section a lot. He will DuraCoat just about anything no matter how big a job for FREE as long as he has the colors you want in stock. All he asks is you pay for return shipping.

marionpd
11-20-08, 00:04
great looking rifle. makes me a lil jealous:)