PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on Thumblers Tumblers (R-18 vibratory )

ralph
02-22-16, 18:59
Well, my Dillion CV2001 case tumbler is on it's way out...It still runs but, it's on it way out as the motor is getting burnt out. This is the second one I've burn out in about 8-10yrs..I could get it rebuilt, but that, according to the guy at Dillion I talked to, will cost $110.00 and I have to ship it out to them. Dillions guy on the phone even told me I'd probably be better off buying a new one.. Anyway, I'd like something that'll last a little longer than the Dillion units, and has spare parts availability. (parts for the Dillion tumbler are only available through Dillon, and NO, they won't sell you a just motor, THEY want to rebuild it.) At least Thumblers will sell a motor if you need one.(and from what I've seen on youtube, it looks fairly simple to remove and install) I'm not interested in the wet/stainless steel pin method, just a good vibratory tumbler. So, anybody with any experience with a vibratory Thumblers tumbler? I looked at a few places on the 'net and read a lot of reviews on them, and was shocked at how many people were still using them after 15-20yrs, with no problems, and still using the original motor. As I said, Thumblers also sells parts, something it seems, nobody else does, as they all seem to make a disposable tumbler. And frankly, at $188 a pop, I can't afford to dispose of any more Dillion tumblers. I'm looking for something that will last 10-15 yrs.. Is a Thumblers up to the job? I don't mind spending the money if it'll last...

markm
02-22-16, 20:06
Wow. Hadn't heard the dillons were so spotty. I have a cheapo vibratory that's 20 plus years old and gets run hard. one of the cooling fan blades it broken off, but it won't quit. I don't even know what kind it is.

sinister
02-22-16, 20:20
My Thumblers 18 is 26 years old. It's tumbled tens of thousands of cases and is still going boringly strong.

markm
02-22-16, 20:36
Yeah. It's odd to hear Dillon motors crap out so quickly.

ralph
02-23-16, 08:16
Yeah. It's odd to hear Dillon motors crap out so quickly.

Well, this is a great example of not everything Dillon makes is wonderful.. I'll admit I've had few problem with my 550b,the few times I needed parts they were sent to me like right now, at no cost to me. I've come to the opinion that their tumblers are overpriced, aren't any better than any of the lower priced units that places like Midway sells. I guess this is why I was attracted to the Thumblers tumblers, One place I went to, had over 60 reviews, with maybe 4-5 negative, there were at least 20 or so reviews where the owner had them over 15yrs and were still running.. I'm going to do some more research, but, it's looking like I'm going to buy a Thumblers....

bullitt
02-23-16, 16:27
I have a Tumblers Tumbler UV-18 I bought used a year ago to replace the el-cheapo one I had been using for 5 years. I love it. Quieter, cleans faster, and much higher capacity then my old one. Only complaint is that it has no switch, just plug or unplug it to turn it on and off. That's easy to add though if you really want one.