PDA

View Full Version : Any reputable company make a complete 8" .300 upper?

KITTEN_FRENZY
02-22-16, 23:02
While I was looking for an 8" AR, I realized that nearly ever single complete upper was made by no-name companies that probably have questionable quality (PSA, Radical, etc).
Is there anything out there up to BCM standards that make a complete .300blk upper under around $750 or so?
Ugh, if only BCM made an 8" :(
I've already looked at the .300 sticky and didn't see anything that intrigued me.
I'd consider building one but all my tools are across the state I tend to ding things up.
I'm even considering buying the 9" BCM, selling the barrel, then installing my own. Not entirely sure how easy it'd be to sell though.

Thanks for any input

friendlyfireisnt
02-22-16, 23:47
Aero precision makes one. Out of stock right now, but I bet it will be in stock before long.

KITTEN_FRENZY
02-22-16, 23:58
Aero precision makes one. Out of stock right now, but I bet it will be in stock before long.

I was actually looking at the M4E1 but that rail seem super wide for my medium sized hands.
Another reason I'm kind of hesitant on it is because I bought a COP upper about two years ago and the anodizing seemed suuuuper thin. Simply putting Larue rail covers on ended up removing a bunch of the ano. Although my guns aren't safe queens, I'd like the finish to hold up a bit better than that.

dbain99
02-23-16, 07:02
Please don't take this question at anything other than face value. Why are you set on an 8" vs a 9" or 10.5"?

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

KITTEN_FRENZY
02-23-16, 07:36
Please don't take this question at anything other than face value. Why are you set on an 8" vs a 9" or 10.5"?

I already have an 11.5". A 10.5 or even a 9" wouldn't be significant enough of a difference for me to justify spending nearly a grand on a new toy.

dbain99
02-23-16, 08:18
Very good.

KITTEN_FRENZY
02-23-16, 09:11
Very good.

Not good at all!

It's like having an itch on my back that I can't scratch haha

dbain99
02-23-16, 09:55
Yes but it gives you a project to keep you going. I've found more enjoyment with my last couple of projects in the research and development phases than I have with the finished product.
Sometimes the journey is greater than the destination!

KITTEN_FRENZY
02-23-16, 10:12
Yes but it gives you a project to keep you going. I've found more enjoyment with my last couple of projects in the research and development phases than I have with the finished product.
Sometimes the journey is greater than the destination!

Oh, I totally agree.
Not only is it interesting, but I also gained tooons of knowledge in the process.

I'm a bit lazier this time around though

jackblack73
02-23-16, 14:38
I already have an 11.5". A 10.5 or even a 9" wouldn't be significant enough of a difference for me to justify spending nearly a grand on a new toy.

I have an 11.5 5.56 and 9.0 300BLK. I actually think the 9 is too short. I grip it all the way at the end. I don't currently have a light on it, but if I did I'm not sure where I would put it without getting in my way. But if you have your heart set on 8", go for it.

Rayrevolver
02-23-16, 18:31
I have an 11.5 5.56 and 9.0 300BLK. I actually think the 9 is too short. I grip it all the way at the end. I don't currently have a light on it, but if I did I'm not sure where I would put it without getting in my way. But if you have your heart set on 8", go for it.

I am using the Roschworks Light/sight combo. Check it out!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ROSCH-Works-SL1.jpg

KITTEN_FRENZY
02-23-16, 19:10
I am using the Roschworks Light/sight combo. Check it out!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ROSCH-Works-SL1.jpg

bahahahahhaha
that's actually pretty freaking neat

themonk
02-23-16, 21:07
Answer to your question is no. No one I would consider a reputable company.

There are reputable companies are making 8" and below barrels.

KITTEN_FRENZY
02-23-16, 21:11
Answer to your question is no. No one I would consider a reputable company.

There are reputable companies are making 8" and below barrels.

This really surprises me. I thought an 8" .300blk would be like the 11.5" inch of the 5.56 world.
I guess I'll just wait until I have the lower complete and see...
I'll probably end up going the BCM 9" route and swapping the barrel for something smaller.

themonk
02-23-16, 21:16
9" is the 11.5

Brahmzy
02-24-16, 07:37
Just built a Noveske 8.5 based 300BLK. It freakin rocks. Amazed at the accuracy.

Holy cow she's got some bark though. Thought my 10.5 556 was loud.

thebarracuda
02-24-16, 09:05
I went the BCM 9" route. Im very happy thus far. No offense meant, but maybe youre overthinking this? BCM being a known quantity and all.

themonk
02-24-16, 09:06
I went the BCM 9" route. Im very happy thus far. No offense meant, but maybe youre overthinking this? BCM being a known quantity and all.

I would say they are not a known quantity in 300 blk. Noveske, AAC, KAC are known quantities.

thebarracuda
02-24-16, 10:06
I would say they are not a known quantity in 300 blk. Noveske, AAC, KAC are known quantities.

Yes, I would agree with you. Still early for them in this configuration.

Springfield
02-25-16, 23:34
When I did my 300 blk build last year I used a 8.2'' Noveske barrel ($350ish), Noveske chainsaw upper ($125ish), and a 7'' NSR rail ($250ish). I had a BCM BCG lying around and dropped the upper on a Form 1 LMT lower. That upper build is close to your price range and I would consider Noveske to be a brand of known quality. Buying a part every month or two spread out the cost and made it a bit easier pill to swallow.

KITTEN_FRENZY
02-25-16, 23:41
When I did my 300 blk build last year I used a 8.2'' Noveske barrel ($350ish), Noveske chainsaw upper ($125ish), and a 7'' NSR rail ($250ish). I had a BCM BCG lying around and dropped the upper on a Form 1 LMT lower. That upper build is close to your price range and I would consider Noveske to be a brand of known quality. Buying a part every month or two spread out the cost and made it a bit easier pill to swallow.

Is noveske still regarded as top tier?
I thought I remembered hearing of their quality going down but I haven't had much first hand experience in the past few years.

bzdog
02-25-16, 23:49
Personally I'd consider a Noveske barrel, but would look elsewhere for everything else. Actually I might pick a V7 barrel instead considering the Noveske tie-ins and V7's clear interest in quality and innovation.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springfield
02-25-16, 23:56
I think Noveske still builds a good product but there are a lot of other options out there for the same (or probably less) money. That is the beautiful thing about this platform, anyone can build what they want with lots of parts available.