PDA

View Full Version : Oppinion: Business suit vs Texas western

elephant
02-23-16, 01:44
I know a lot of industries have a dress code. Most professionals in a certain industry wear a business suit or at least slacks and a collared button down shirt with nice business shoes. However, my industry is focused on steel mills, mining and inshore/offshore oil and personally, I think if business suits look too "executive" and might be intimidating to our clients and customers. Our salesman are trained to trouble shoot and are heavily involved in the transaction, they don't just pick up the phone, they drive, pick up, deliver and usually spend a couple of hours inspecting, walking around and meeting with key people at locations.

We are putting together a new sales plan with a new strategy since these markets are sucking right now. Right now, we don't have a official dress code. I wanted to go for a more business causal-Texas look, cowboy boots, western style jeans and a simple solid colored button down collared shirt. I think that this look is more appropriate for our business and our sales staff is dressed similar to the customers and clients they will engage with. However, the bean counters up stairs and the new sales manager seem to think suits are the way to go this day in age.

What is your opinion. The customers we deal with on a daily basis spends anywhere from $500k -$8m a year. The contacts are usually mid level managers, supervisors, asset managers, company man etc. 50% of them where a company supplied uniform, the others wear a mix of jeans and slacks. Only the people we talk to once or twice a year wear business suits and those are the guys who can write big checks.

1. Business Suit (executive)

2. Business casual

3. Western

Chameleox
02-23-16, 08:04
I'd leave it up to the individual rep or the team leaders, depending on the account and locale. I'd certainly strongly suggest that each rep has suitable attire covering all three options. Western would be tough for some; that's a tough look to put together.

I can certainly see the point in allowing or strongly suggesting business casual or western casual on jobs where that attire is expected, more appealing to the clients, or more conducive to the working environments. I'd even go so far (understanding that I don't know your job) of allowing jeans and a company shirt or polo for real down and dirty jobs on site.

Just remember that, if you go high enough up the company ladder, you'll eventually meet a suit. So you should have a suit or at least a blazer on hand.

Averageman
02-23-16, 08:24
I'd leave it up to the individual rep or the team leaders, depending on the account and locale. I'd certainly strongly suggest that each rep has suitable attire covering all three options. Western would be tough for some; that's a tough look to put together.

I can certainly see the point in allowing or strongly suggesting business casual or western casual on jobs where that attire is expected, more appealing to the clients, or more conducive to the working environments. I'd even go so far (understanding that I don't know your job) of allowing jeans and a company shirt or polo for real down and dirty jobs on site.

Just remember that, if you go high enough up the company ladder, you'll eventually meet a suit. So you should have a suit or at least a blazer on hand.

I would agree with all of that with a caveat if "that" doesn't work for you, stay away from it.
Your dress says a lot about your credibility, some folks just aren't going to be able to pull off "Western" and/or a "suit" and trying to go for that look may well put off some people. a simple business casual policy with a sliding scale might be your best policy.
Having said that, you're allowing these guys to make the call and it's always important that they adjust to the needs of the situation.

Eurodriver
02-23-16, 08:31
Averageman said what I came to say.

If your salesmen are from NYC, do not put them in Cowboy boots.

cbx
02-23-16, 09:03
The sales guys need to be like #2, or jeans and a button shirt.

Fort worth dance hall attire isn't for the work place, unless your business is rodeo or your a satellite livestock auction company.

Even though I'm sure half of the blue collar boys and girls in the shop dress western in their free time, button shirt, jeans, or even wrangler blue work shirts are appropriate for shop wear.

If you meeting with the executives, #1 or two. If in New York, default to #1.

Not talking smack, but your sales guys should know all of this. If they aren't sure, then they haven't been around much.

Have your bean counters go on a field trip in suits to one of your customers fab shops while they're welding and shit. See what they think after that. Then tell them to STFU and go back to counting beans.

Wearing a suit to a job site just makes you look like a jackass without the executive present. Not to mention how many suits they'll ruin about the time they get soaked in hydraulic oil and welding smoke.

When in Rome. That's the key.

BBossman
02-23-16, 09:07
I'd say let the salesman decide based on his knowledge of his customers and his own comfort level. Some guys can put on a $1000 dollar suit and look like a million, others can put on the same suit and look like pocket change.

KalashniKEV
02-23-16, 09:47
I know a lot of industries have a dress code.

The whole world has a dress code- it's called "suit and tie."

This was something that was decided long before you or I were born.

Fighting against this can only work within your sphere of control, and will only last as long as you do.

If you work in Silicon Valley and get to wear sandals every day and make up your own job title on your business card, then that's cool, man... but don't expect any serious consideration from serious folks- and I probably won't have time for you to explain what-it-is-you-do when you hand me a business card that says "Master of..." or "... Guru."

I'll just be like, "Oh, that's cute."

I wanted to go for a more business causal-Texas look, cowboy boots, western style jeans and a simple solid colored button down collared shirt.

What you're trying to solve is the level of formality in dress... but you're addressing it in style-of-dress.

Obviously a suit is not always appropriate for the level of engagement or the environment.

If SFC Highandtight wants to wear clean cargo pants and a rigger's belt, and Farmer Bill wants to wear work pants and a (pressed) work shirt, then cool. Rep your steez.

Promoting "Cowboy style" as corporate uniform is insane and ridiculous.
(Unless, as mentioned above, you're a waiter in a theme restaurant or there's some reason to be dressed like a cowboy.)

mkmckinley
02-23-16, 10:03
Cowboy boots and a hat a cool if you actually rode a horse to work, otherwise they kind of come off as a costume.

Firefly
02-23-16, 10:05
If you run your own business and are like Steve Jobs you can dress up like a clown.

But if you want people to trust you; you gotta look the part.

If you're in public view or handlimg other people's money or widgets then it is best to look smart.

But, Christ help me, I couldn't give a load of money to a guy who looked like Brokeback Mountain. He could herd my sheep I guess.

Look at Obongo. When he does the "too cool for a tie" bit, he looks like a homeless yab from Mechanicsville who found a suit from goodwill.

Now look at Putin. He looks like he has James Bond locked up in a Siberian prison.

Just saying

brickboy240
02-23-16, 10:09
I'd say #2 with a nice pair of boots.

However, Dallas is more "buttoned down" than say Houston or other Texas cities. The 3rd option would not look out of place in the oil biz here in Houston. I should know...I work in the perto-chemical industry. In our industry, jeans, a polo button down shirt and nice boots is very, very common wear for most men in this field.

A jacket with slacks and a nice pair of boots (some sort of exotic skin) gives the right message for our industry. Also, nice boots are often a conversation starter, because many of us have a collection of exotic boots and like to talk about them! LOL

I'd leave a hat or western styled jacket out of the mix. It is too "J R Ewing" and looks phony on some people.

soulezoo
02-23-16, 10:13
This.

If you run your own business and are like Steve Jobs you can dress up like a clown.

If you're in public view or handlimg other people's money or widgets then it is best to look smart.

But, Christ help me, I couldn't give a load of money to a guy who looked like Brokeback Mountain. He could herd my sheep I guess.

Look at Obongo. When he does the "too cool for a tie" bit, he looks like a homeless yab from Mechanicsville who found a suit from goodwill.

Now look at Putin. He looks like he has James Bond locked up in a Siberian prison.

Just saying

wildcard600
02-23-16, 10:40
The sales guys need to be like #2, or jeans and a button shirt.

Fort worth dance hall attire isn't for the work place, unless your business is rodeo or your a satellite livestock auction company.

Even though I'm sure half of the blue collar boys and girls in the shop dress western in their free time, button shirt, jeans, or even wrangler blue work shirts are appropriate for shop wear.

If you meeting with the executives, #1 or two. If in New York, default to #1.

Not talking smack, but your sales guys should know all of this. If they aren't sure, then they haven't been around much.

Have your bean counters go on a field trip in suits to one of your customers fab shops while they're welding and shit. See what they think after that. Then tell them to STFU and go back to counting beans.

Wearing a suit to a job site just makes you look like a jackass without the executive present. Not to mention how many suits they'll ruin about the time they get soaked in hydraulic oil and welding smoke.

When in Rome. That's the key.

The whole world has a dress code- it's called "suit and tie."

This was something that was decided long before you or I were born.

Fighting against this can only work within your sphere of control, and will only last as long as you do.

If you work in Silicon Valley and get to wear sandals every day and make up your own job title on your business card, then that's cool, man... but don't expect any serious consideration from serious folks- and I probably won't have time for you to explain what-it-is-you-do when you hand me a business card that says "Master of..." or "... Guru."

I'll just be like, "Oh, that's cute."

What you're trying to solve is the level of formality in dress... but you're addressing it in style-of-dress.

Obviously a suit is not always appropriate for the level of engagement or the environment.

If SFC Highandtight wants to wear clean cargo pants and a rigger's belt, and Farmer Bill wants to wear work pants and a (pressed) work shirt, then cool. Rep your steez.

Promoting "Cowboy style" as corporate uniform is insane and ridiculous.
(Unless, as mentioned above, you're a waiter in a theme restaurant or there's some reason to be dressed like a cowboy.)

#3 shouldn't even be considered unless as pointed out by the posters above in bold.

I would suggest business casual with a sensible, solid color tie if you a are looking for a "base" dress code assuming all of your employees are managing accounts.

If your people are meeting with the company board, dress it up to the suit and tie. If your people are going to be out walking the production floor getting hands on with the shop foreman or line workers a simple polo and jeans.

crusader377
02-23-16, 10:42
For daily wear I would say #2. If you are meeting with senior executives go to #1. Cowboy hat is a no go IMO.

JC5188
02-23-16, 10:42

Just saying

Think less "broke back" and more "Texas Ranger"

That being said, OP I'd recommend western wear as an option, rather than mandate. You don't want your guy to come off as a pandering poser in front of the guy wearing the 100X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital_Damage
02-23-16, 10:55
#1 or #2, I would never buy anything from #3 and consider it to be highly unprofessional.

Averageman
02-23-16, 11:54
This is really where you have to trust your employee's common sense or micromanage and default to a dress code.
Only the people on the ground making the sales know their customers (or they should) so a field trip with them just as a litmus test is good for you for a lot of reasons.
I would get out there and see what's happening on the ground before I made an executive decision.

Firefly
02-23-16, 14:22
Texas Rangers aren't doing million dollar deals. Plus they dress like plainclothes police meaning business attire. The hat IIRC is considered a uniform item like the badge and gun. A little leeway is given in footwear because he might have to get 10-8 on someone.

All that removed it's a guy in a suit and tie.

elephant
02-23-16, 14:40
there would be NO cowboy hat! I couldn't find a picture without one. All of our salesmen are given a truck to drive daily and take home. Either a Ford F-350 4 door long bed or a Chevy 3500 4 door long bed and I give these guys a small allowance to pick up things from Ranch Hand like brush guard, steps etc. All of the salesmen listen to country music and wear steel toe cowboy boots or some type of work boot. I just figured if they are going out to a coal mine and looking at a piece of equipment, or going out to a rig to inspect a job, it would look more down to earth and professional. If they were to show up wearing a suit or slacks and wearing a hard hat, our customers might feel like they are worried about getting there hands dirty.

KalashniKEV
02-23-16, 14:47
All of the salesmen listen to country music and wear steel toe cowboy boots or some type of work boot.

Well the boots are probably just OSHA 1910.136 compliance, but they all listen to country?

That's so racist.

elephant
02-23-16, 14:59
they all listen to country?That's so racist.

I couldn't afford the classical types.

Chameleox
02-23-16, 15:30
...I just figured if they are going out to a coal mine and looking at a piece of equipment, or going out to a rig to inspect a job, it would look more down to earth and professional. If they were to show up wearing a suit or slacks and wearing a hard hat, our customers might feel like they are worried about getting there hands dirty.

If this is the case, I'd give them the guidelines that business casual is acceptable attire for most occasions. This would include Western, minus the 10 gallon.

If your salesmen are going to get a little dirty, I stand by my suggestion of an optional company work shirt or polo that can be easily washed. More typical business attire should be the norm for meeting executives, or for more formal meetings. Footwear should be presentable, but suitable for the work environment.

Just give your reps some basic guidelines and a little latitude.

cbx
02-23-16, 15:33
You can issue really nice dickies coveralls when they are doing tech work. Then they can wear #2 or jeans and a button up.

That way them hi dollar superduties stay nice.

This thread lacks aircraft and supermodel pictures for some reason? What about super model work attire? Shouldn't we discuss that instead?

Firefly
02-23-16, 15:47
FWIW I had an instructor tell me once to dress to the level that you respect your students/attendees/liasons.

If they are going to a field type position, why not an actual uniform? Like a Class B type deal with a patch or logo embroidery. Not necessarily at a grunt level nor at a day laborer level.

How do senior foremen dress?

But anything in an office is a must for suits.

Or....have guys change out.

Lessay I was an investor. Frankly, I wouldn't care what your hobbies or predilections are. I don't care about how you see the world.

I care about your function and ability to be taken seriously. Dressing up like a, no disrespect intended, cornpone new money type seems sorta tacky and fly-by-night.

Plus 90% is dress, 10% is bearing.
But that 10% can destroy that 90% very easily. And that 90% can only mask that 10% so much.

And "down to earth" can also be taken as "easily bullshitted".

You want to retain some element of aloofness and "uppityness" because at the end of the day; you have to retain the objectivity to make hard command decisions.

Impersonal? Yes. But necessary IMO.

Not a business man. Hated economics in college.
I'm only speaking from the vantage point of working in an environment where you are sized up every single day.

fallenromeo
02-23-16, 16:05
The single most important thing is this, know your clients. If you know what your clients are like and how casual or uptight they are, you dress to their expectations. Also, don't forget, just because the clients may all wear steel toes and wranglers, doesn't mean your salesmen should look just like them. It is ok for your salesmen to stand out, they don't work for your client, there is no need for them to look like they do. That said, clients may also appreciate you dressing up a bit, even if it is above their standard dress code. That doesn't mean you need to wear a suit to a processing plant, but if they are wearing jeans and boots, and your guys wear slacks and a button up or a polo, that is ok.

This is the bottom line, know your clients and their expectations, then dress to that.

JC5188
02-23-16, 16:06
Texas Rangers aren't doing million dollar deals. Plus they dress like plainclothes police meaning business attire. The hat IIRC is considered a uniform item like the badge and gun. A little leeway is given in footwear because he might have to get 10-8 on someone.

All that removed it's a guy in a suit and tie.

Slacks, white shirt and tie, nice boots, 3pc buckle set on a narrow belt. That's business attire in many places in Texas.

SilverBullet432
02-23-16, 16:28
I didn't even read it. But: Western 100% all the time!

Firefly
02-23-16, 16:57
Slacks, white shirt and tie, nice boots, 3pc buckle set on a narrow belt. That's business attire in many places in Texas.

I haven't been to texas in over a decade but....http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wacotrib.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/15/e1567222-476b-5bb7-b70e-879ceab21785/53fd8bb916ae7.image.jpg?resize=300%2C236

These are, from cursory search, Texas Rangers. Without the Hat and tan belt on that one guy, they could just as easily be office guys. Can't see their boots but they do make Steel toe boots that look fairly subdued.

The only thing "western" is the hat and belt.

Or maybe my idea of "western" is a Jim Bowie looking guy.

I dunno. Just offering thoughts. Not trying to down anyone

Ryno12
02-23-16, 17:07
I would say #2 but no matter how well you dress, you still lose all credibility when you can't spell correctly. ;)

JC5188
02-23-16, 17:27
I haven't been to texas in over a decade but....http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wacotrib.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/15/e1567222-476b-5bb7-b70e-879ceab21785/53fd8bb916ae7.image.jpg?resize=300%2C236

These are, from cursory search, Texas Rangers. Without the Hat and tan belt on that one guy, they could just as easily be office guys. Can't see their boots but they do make Steel toe boots that look fairly subdued.

The only thing "western" is the hat and belt.

Or maybe my idea of "western" is a Jim Bowie looking guy.

I dunno. Just offering thoughts. Not trying to down anyone

Yeah...no, I get ya brother. I just grew up down that way and it's how we dressed. Different cut to the slacks/shirt...silver belt buckle sets. Roper heel boots, not riding heel like the guidos up north hang silver chains all over.

My dad worked for Bell Telephone in the late 70's. Slacks, boots, white shirt, and a 20x on top of a giant Afro.

Averageman
02-23-16, 17:41
there would be NO cowboy hat! I couldn't find a picture without one. All of our salesmen are given a truck to drive daily and take home. Either a Ford F-350 4 door long bed or a Chevy 3500 4 door long bed and I give these guys a small allowance to pick up things from Ranch Hand like brush guard, steps etc. All of the salesmen listen to country music and wear steel toe cowboy boots or some type of work boot. I just figured if they are going out to a coal mine and looking at a piece of equipment, or going out to a rig to inspect a job, it would look more down to earth and professional. If they were to show up wearing a suit or slacks and wearing a hard hat, our customers might feel like they are worried about getting there hands dirty.

This attire is similar to what I work in every day. I think of it as a sliding scale of formality.
The usual is Jeans and Steel toe boots and a button down shirt, if we have a meeting, we switch to something a little more like choice two, a button down shirt, some khaki's maybe (rarely) a sports coat and have a tie handy.
The rule of thumb is if your talking about equipment status, selling a service or a piece of equipment you scale up.
I have lived in the South the majority of my life and most of that in Texas or Arizona, I don't think I've worn the hat since I was three.

The idea behind this is that we are likely to have to be the guy who demonstraits how a piece of equipment is used or serviced.

KUSA
02-23-16, 18:40
I am in outside sales and spend most of my time with customers on the job site. The nature of my business is industrial. I have to get my hands dirty sometimes.

I have found that I get the best results dressing one step over the customers that I see. This is usually business casual such as khaki pants and a button up shirt. Sometimes I wear a Polo style shirt if the weather is hot.

I used to wear dress shoes but they are so impractical and get ruined so I went to a decent looking boot.

However, if I am giving a presentation to upper management the dress code goes to formal wear. You have to look like you mean business.

SilverBullet432
02-23-16, 20:05
If you go out to rigs, cinch and ariat both make FRC shirts and pants. Nice clothes too not "work clothes". They are pricey though but look great.

MountainRaven
02-23-16, 21:47
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/Jagdraben/suit1_zps8zhrx10k.png
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/Jagdraben/suit2_zpsb82tpcrs.png (http://theoatmeal.com/pl/minor_differences5/suit)

Where I live, "getting dressed up" means wearing a clean pair of jeans and a button-up shirt or polo and leather shoes or boots. And maybe you might clean your boots, wear a tie and a blazer or sport coat, if you're really fancy. That includes court appearances, funerals, weddings, concerts, and Sunday worship. The few people who wear suits (especially with ties) stick out like sore thumbs, everywhere. If you're wearing a button up shirt, slacks, and a tie, you're probably a Mormon missionary.

I'm generally almost always overdressed for anything that I do and I was once mocked by a supervisor at a job that regularly involved sitting in court and taking notes for wearing polos and button-up shirts to work everyday (in fact, my boss's boss once had to remind everyone to make sure that they came to work dressed to show up in court) - and I don't have a single suit in my closet.

So my opinion probably doesn't count, but I would go with, "When in Rome." Which is to say to tell folk to dress appropriate to the level and type of work that they will be doing: You don't wear dress blues while you're digging a latrine and you wouldn't wear utilities while standing as an honor guard for the President or other dignitaries (unless bullets are flying, but that's an exception, not the rule).

AKDoug
02-23-16, 22:28
I associate suits and ties with politicians, and give that attire the same respect as I do politicians. What Fjallhrafn posted above goes doubly true in Alaska. I'm not cutting million dollar deals, but I do plenty of six figure deals a year. I've never worn more than a short sleeve uniform style shirt (untucked over my gun), a company ball cap, black jeans, and steel toe work boots. I carry a well used hardhat and safety vest in my truck.

Moose-Knuckle
02-24-16, 02:06
It's 2016, you guys need to embrace genderfluid attire and no I don't mean kilts or sarongs.

AKDoug
02-24-16, 12:30
It's 2016, you guys need to embrace genderfluid attire and no I don't mean kilts or sarongs.

The only thing that would lose me more sales than wearing a suit would be dressing all hipster/metrosexual...

Plasman
02-24-16, 12:50
This (http://www.styleforum.net/t/504995/edited-helping-a-rural-midwestern-find-his-classic-style) thread on a clothing forum might help. Seems like a similar situation.

Suits don't sound like a good option for your staff and I'd be pissed if I went from jeans to having to upkeep wool pants every week with no real benefit. Seems like a low-value proposition. Suits also require tailoring, and if you're just going to get a suit OTR and not have it tailored, you're better off not getting one at all.

The second and third options are fairly close and I think you can do a combination of both depending on where/who the sales guys will be visiting that day. Really the only difference is the pants (slacks/chinos/jeans) and footwear. The OCBD paired with a sport coat or blazer is a good idea and is versatile, but you will need to consider tailoring with the sport coat/blazer. The sport coat in your third photo (really looks more like a suit separate) is poorly fitted. It's way too long in the body and looks a bit large in the shoulders (exacerbated by it not being buttoned). Do you plan on issuing the salespeople coats/blazers, or just giving them an allowance to purchase their own? You might need to establish some coat requirements such as certain colors and patterns (I don't think you want somebody coming in with a tartan patterned coat). For footwear I'm not a fan of cowboy boots in a business setting, but something from Wolverine or Alden would work.

brickboy240
02-24-16, 13:52
Suits, ties and wool jackets will be extra fun in Dallas, come July.

...whew!

Plasman
02-24-16, 15:15
Suits, ties and wool jackets will be extra fun in Dallas, come July.

...whew!

That's why linen and seersucker exist ;). Although, quality (construction and material) wool garments with appropriate weight wool can breathe quite well.

brickboy240
02-24-16, 15:22
A suit..of searsucker or whatever, is absolutely miserable to wear down here, past mid May.

95 degree and 95% humidity.

Most businesses, even larger ones, have ditched suit/tie requirements because of our weather.

MountainRaven
02-24-16, 21:02
I believe that shorts are considered appropriate business wear in Bermuda, for reasons of heat and humidity.

Moose-Knuckle
02-25-16, 00:32
The only thing that would lose me more sales than wearing a suit would be dressing all hipster/metrosexual...

Behold the . . .

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1706/25130497332_4fc48cd9dc_b.jpg

pinzgauer
02-25-16, 09:42
Having had a sales related job that took me into many manufacturers in the SE, it would be a mistake to dress to satisfy the factory worker as they pretty much never make decisions.

They can provide input though, so you don't want to alienate or condescend to them.

You want to dress as peer plus a level to the decision-makers you will see. Being underdressed implies you did not take the visit seriously and there are perception biases that will play in.

This does not mean expensive suits and shoes if doing a plant tour in a clay plant! That's part of your job to know your audience and dress accordingly.

If if need to specify standards I'd probably keep to pressed natural fiber chinos in khaki or grey, leather shoes to match, pressed button down and a navy sport coat. Need to casual up? Ditch the jacket, roll up the sleeves. Find out last minute you are stopping by the ceo? Slap on a tie.

Avoid synthetics for many reasons, OSHA being one of them. Avoid logos unless it's a discrete company logo on a shirt.

Keep a pair of neutral pull on boots in the trunk if there is a chance you'll hit muddy worksites. (Leather Wellington/roper style, perhaps with steel toes)

Distinct regional styles (Western, NYC, SFO) offend some. It's still hard to beat the old dress for success guidelines, stick to timeless classics!

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

brickboy240
02-25-16, 10:43
Lumbersexual!

LOL

Yeah, I really cannot wit for the whole lumberjack beard fad to go away - it really looks terrible.

williejc
02-25-16, 20:55
As an old redneck I never understood metrosexuals. I heard that some shave their balls; some shave their legs; and some shave their balls and their legs, and despite all the shaving, they might not be gay but just a little fruity. Can somebody clarify the situation? You see, it's the lumbersexual that got me thinking, and now I'm really confused.

AKDoug
02-25-16, 21:11
Behold the . . .

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1706/25130497332_4fc48cd9dc_b.jpg That P.O.S. doesn't even have the proper handle on that double bit..

themonk
02-25-16, 22:33
IMO you should give your sales guys the leeway they need for the given occasion and the given client. Some clients would dig the western look, some want the suit. Some want a cashmere sweater and jeans and tickets to a Mavericks game. If they know how to play the casual look, if often looks like they know the lay of the land and and look extremely confident.

In the mid 2000s I was a guest of Microsoft's at their campus in Redmond for a preview they were doing for all the state and fed CIOs in the country. We were sitting around watching a CIO at another table with 3 Microsoft sales guys that wasn't having any of it. About 25 min in, a guy shows up dressed down with a dress shirt and a blazer that you could tell even though he was business casual the ensemble probably cost 5k. Within 15 min he signed a 20 mil deal. It was very clear he was the guy in the room that knew his shit and knew the lay of the land. In that case It would not matter what he was wearing as long as the CIO was not offended and he knew his place.

To this day it was the most impressive show of confidence and force I have ever seen in a business setting. My point being, I dont think anyone at MS told him what to wear.

brickboy240
02-26-16, 07:26
Shaving balls, legs and chest but leaving scruffy scrub all over one's face.

What is wrong with this picture?

LOL

Averageman
02-26-16, 08:04

LOL

Perhaps the shaving keeps the musky man sack smell out of each others Lumberjack beards?

MountainRaven
02-26-16, 09:00

LOL

Must be fond of ancient Greek standards of grooming.

:jester:

chuckman
02-26-16, 15:03
And for all y'all Yankees wanting to be all Matlock when doing business down south, two things about seersucker: 1) it's only acceptable Memorial Day through Labor Day, and 2) y'all can't pull it off anyway.

In all seriousness, when I graduated from high school I received a copy of Dress for Success. Without it any job I had in which I did not wear a uniform would have been doomed.

MegademiC
02-26-16, 23:58
I know a lot of industries have a dress code. Most professionals in a certain industry wear a business suit or at least slacks and a collared button down shirt with nice business shoes. However, my industry is focused on steel mills, mining and inshore/offshore oil and personally, I think if business suits look too "executive" and might be intimidating to our clients and customers. Our salesman are trained to trouble shoot and are heavily involved in the transaction, they don't just pick up the phone, they drive, pick up, deliver and usually spend a couple of hours inspecting, walking around and meeting with key people at locations.

We are putting together a new sales plan with a new strategy since these markets are sucking right now. Right now, we don't have a official dress code. I wanted to go for a more business causal-Texas look, cowboy boots, western style jeans and a simple solid colored button down collared shirt. I think that this look is more appropriate for our business and our sales staff is dressed similar to the customers and clients they will engage with. However, the bean counters up stairs and the new sales manager seem to think suits are the way to go this day in age.

What is your opinion. The customers we deal with on a daily basis spends anywhere from $500k -$8m a year. The contacts are usually mid level managers, supervisors, asset managers, company man etc. 50% of them where a company supplied uniform, the others wear a mix of jeans and slacks. Only the people we talk to once or twice a year wear business suits and those are the guys who can write big checks.

They should match their contacts. I'd suggest business cassual. Dress pants and a button up are dressy enough to meet high level managers, and cassual enough to do work. Just my opinion. Suppliers/contractors here don't wear suits. The only ones who wear jeans are working on the plant floor, and many wear kakis.

If your staff are professionals, I'd let them make the call based on what/who. If they can't handle that, I'd question other decisions. Just my opinion on my experience.

Moose-Knuckle
02-27-16, 02:14
A lot of money and research has gone into attire. Watch and notice how many times POTUS, POTUS candidates, Prime Ministers, Senators, Congressmen, etc., where black suits with white shirts and solid red ties at speaking engagements. These guys don't write their own speeches or dress themselves.

Even President Assad in Syria hired a high end image consultant for himself and his family.

Hell, Eric Haney, in his book Inside Delta Force went into how they would get coached on how to dress by fashion industry consultants in various settings for PSD and surveillance ops.