PDA

View Full Version : USP Compact vs CZ P-01 Cajun

FlyPenFly
02-23-16, 03:23
Picking up another 9mm and I've been tossing back and forth between a USP Compact 9mm with stainless slide and match trigger or a Defense pro package P-01 from CGW. Primary purpose is home, range toy, and USPSA.

My brain tells me the CZ would dominate here but my heart tells me HK.

Not interested in a PPQ or any Glock. Already own an XD and a VP9 and a 1911 9mm.

teutonicpolymer
02-23-16, 07:32
Cz p-07

USP is outclassed by current stuff, it is just too blocky, too big, too expensive, and with a bad trigger. The safety/decocker system is also awkward though you might get lucky and find a decocker only model since hk likes making a dozen variations of trigger assemblies instead of just one or two good ones like the CZ omega system. If you really want an HK compact I'd say get a p2000 instead.

My reason for not saying the pcr, p-01, etc versus the p-07 is that the p-07 is pretty much made for a decocker which is what I would use.

Kenneth
02-23-16, 07:33
P01 for sure. This is not from CGW but it has all the upgrades. I just did it myself.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160223/cf0a5e5be510ff6cdd74652a19753bbd.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160223/119331f93d78a0414d36e60fa99c29c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth
02-23-16, 07:37
That is my main CCW as well my IDPA gun. I use a full size SHadow custom CZ for USPSA.

LibertyNeverDies
02-23-16, 07:43
I'd go with the CZ. I have a P 07 on order and will probably order a Shadow once the funds allow. CZ seems to be offering the most options and I'm really surprised they don't have more market share.

Look for a used USP if you want to play Jack Bauer. They show up for around my area for $500-$600 and I've seen them as low as $450 in the last year.

FlyPenFly
02-23-16, 09:17
P07 cannot be purchased in California unfortunately.

Arik
02-23-16, 09:45
Cz p-07

USP is outclassed by current stuff, it is just too blocky, too big, too expensive, and with a bad trigger. The safety/decocker system is also awkward though you might get lucky and find a decocker only model since hk likes making a dozen variations of trigger assemblies instead of just one or two good ones like the CZ omega system. If you really want an HK compact I'd say get a p2000 instead.

My reason for not saying the pcr, p-01, etc versus the p-07 is that the p-07 is pretty much made for a decocker which is what I would use.

He's talking about the USP compact.

Out classed? In competition maybe but I don't see how a CZ will otherwise outlast a USP.

The P2000 is the same as the USPc internally.

A used USP avg around $400 - $500

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

QuickStrike
02-23-16, 10:09
In terms of shootability the CZ wins by a big margin over the USP imo.

Kenneth
02-23-16, 10:40
I used to lust over a USP with a jet funnel set up... Until I got my hands on one. Just go CZ and be a part of the small odd group ;)

Then once you get the P01 you will get a full size SP01 or Shadow and the fun really begins. My shadow instantly made me a better shooter.

teutonicpolymer
02-23-16, 10:41
If the P-07 is unavailable then I'd just get whatever CZ is still on the CA roster

He's talking about the USP compact.

Out classed? In competition maybe but I don't see how a CZ will otherwise outlast a USP.

The P2000 is the same as the USPc internally.

A used USP avg around $400 - $500

Yes I know he is talking about the USP compact.

From putting a fair number of rounds through a USP compact- the trigger is garbage, the ergonomics are horrible, the safety/decocker is awkward, the compact is still pretty big in spite of the bobbed hammer and such, aftermarket is nonexistent, etc etc. I can go on.

The P2000 is much more ergonomic than the USP compact and at least to me, feels smaller, so if I had to get a compact HK that would be it.

I have not seen a used USP/USPc for $400-$500 in a while and the only ones I have seen at that price were the police trade ins that were mostly in .40 Cal, and they were full size models.

Kenneth
02-23-16, 10:47

Have you competed in USPSA/IDPA/3Gun? If you want to see how a gun holds up look up those guys. They run their stuff harder then any group of people on the planet. I know of pistols that get several thousand rounds a month. The same with rifles and shot guns. They don't clean them after every shoot. Guns constantly out in the elements, getting thrown in buckets, and covered in dirt.

If you go CZ get an extra slide stop as IF something fails that will be it. Also after 15k rounds or so I needed to replace my recoil spring. I could cycle it with one hand haha. I went ahead and replaced mag springs at the same time. This was for my shadow. My P01 hasn't been shot near as much.

CDKJudoka
02-23-16, 11:41
Personally, I am a CZ guy. The USP is nice, but the P-01 feels better in hand. The CGW P-01 would be a better buy IMHO. Oh, and mags are MUCH cheaper.

Kenneth
02-23-16, 11:45
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-mecgar-magazines-base-pads-c-130/

For magazines.

FlyPenFly
02-23-16, 11:54
Forgot to mention, I did used to own a P01, loved it. The USPc appeals to me try something new and it looks cool. I heard with the Match trigger , it rivals a 1911 S70 level of clean break and pull weight.

FlyPenFly
02-23-16, 12:19
Also not considering the P2000 because you can't get a great trigger on it.

KalashniKEV
02-23-16, 13:43
Wait for the P01 Omega to hit.

http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/15z_CZP01OmegaSwappable_L_91229_01229.png

Rainbow Six is so 1999...

Frailer
02-23-16, 18:21
I've never been a big USP fan.

But I should have my SP-01 from CGW in a few weeks.

Gumier6
02-24-16, 00:36
If the P01 Omega is anything like the other Omega guns (P07, P09, 75 Omega) then you will be able to convert between DA/SA and Cocked and Locked.

Hopefully CGW has some P01s in stock because I haven't been able to find one for months now.

domestique
02-24-16, 02:36
Since you already own A VP9...... why not a P30L? They use the same magazines.

A USP with JET funnel would be my second choice.... but only if you NEED that USP match trigger.

Add a Taylor Freelance mag extender and funnel you have a 18 +1 race gun.

Here's an example: (taken from another forum)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18541-H-amp-K-P30L-Ultimate-Beta

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mfzqlt.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/sxod3c.jpg

SkiDevil
02-24-16, 04:26
Forgot to mention, I did used to own a P01, loved it. The USPc appeals to me try something new and it looks cool. I heard with the Match trigger , it rivals a 1911 S70 level of clean break and pull weight.

I can't comment on the CZ pistol line other than many experienced shooters say it is a great pistol. I do own several of their rifles and have been impressed with the quality and value.

Regarding the HKs, over the last few years, I have purchased several including the 9mm USP compact. I have never owned a more reliable firearm.

These pistols simply don't malfunction and fire almost anything you can chamber in the barrel.

With regards to the trigger, my pistols shoot just fine, including the compact. I would recommend firing a few thousand rounds before modifying the gun. I laugh whenever I hear comments about how crappy the HK pistol triggers are on the internet. I say try it out for yourself and you be the judge.

After about 3,000 rounds the trigger on my 9mm compact smoothed-out real nice. The gun is dead-bang reliable and practicaly shoots into on hole at 7 yards with CCI 9mm 115 Blazer rounds. For a carry gun it would be a fantastic choice.

I have owned and shot many handguns over the last two decades, the only pistols which even came close to the current HKs for accuracy and reliability were original the SIG german P-series.

MegademiC
02-24-16, 07:14
The recoil impulse of the cz and HK are very different. The cz feels much faster, which I prefer, the HK feels like a long, soft push.

The if you go with a traditional 75 setup, you can go to sao easily, which you can't with the p01, if you care about that.

CZ mags are all over the place and pretty cheap.

AKIA_AZ
02-24-16, 07:22
CZ is actually coming out with a P01 Omega so now you can carry cocked and locked if you want. I have been wanting a P01 for years but decocker only had turned me off. So hopefully once the Omega versions are available I will get one and send it to Cajun.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Kenneth
02-24-16, 07:56
Keep on waiting for that Omega. Pretty sure that has been about 5 years in the making. I thought they were already out though. When I was active with my CZ's I was reading all about them. So if it hasn't dropped by now it's not going to magically just show up one day.

teutonicpolymer
02-24-16, 09:03
The P-01 Omega would almost certainly not be CA legal so there is no reason to wait for it

CDKJudoka
02-24-16, 10:07
Keep on waiting for that Omega. Pretty sure that has been about 5 years in the making. I thought they were already out though. When I was active with my CZ's I was reading all about them. So if it hasn't dropped by now it's not going to magically just show up one day.

The P-01 Omega has been around in one form or another for years. It will pretty much be a "rebadged" P-02. The good thing is that they will be cheaper than most P-02s, since the P-02 is a pretty rare piece. And it will come with the updated Omega Hammer and Trigger that the P-09 first came out with. It is one of the CZ unicorns that I was glad to get my hands on.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/DarkPhoenixTSi/TEOTWAWKI/Firearms%20-%20New%20and%20Old/IMG_20150806_1150052_zps2vwok4ga.jpg (http://s109.photobucket.com/user/DarkPhoenixTSi/media/TEOTWAWKI/Firearms%20-%20New%20and%20Old/IMG_20150806_1150052_zps2vwok4ga.jpg.html)

Kenneth
02-24-16, 10:08
I thought they were released already. I got out of the CZ loop when I got the CZ's I wanted.

Nice gun and thanks for posting.

montrala
02-25-16, 05:36
If you want "classic" all-metal "wonder-9" you will not go wrong with CZ. It is also very pleasant to shoot and for all-metal pistol have great value for the money. But if reliability and durability are most important, HK USP Compact is hard to beat. Drop in LEM trigger and HK45C magazine release and you will not look back. Actually USP Compact is more "shootable" (especially if we think about fast shooting) than USP full size. This is thanks to simpler recoil assembly (almost all new HK pistol models use USP Compact recoil rather than overly complicated, while brilliant in design, USP full size assembly).

Gatorshark
02-25-16, 06:04
I'd have to go CZ. Easy questionhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160225/0d75e6400bb4ca895273116108c3c493.jpg

AutoFiend
02-26-16, 13:25
P-01 is a soft shooting pistol even compared to the USP. I've got a p01 and 75 compact all steel frame. The compact is another pistol to consider can be had for less money out of the box and could use the difference toward cleaning up the trigger.

If you decide to go with CGW I've only heard amazing reviews of their work.

AutoFiend
02-26-16, 14:08
Of course you could always save up and go for the ultimate HK. The wonder of wonder 9's. The P7 - the greatest damn carry gun ever created