PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Tactical ST-15 M4 Basic AR Review

Mrgunsngear
02-23-16, 04:47
http://i.imgur.com/EOsu06Tl.jpg

Picked up this rifle a little over a year ago. I hadn't seen a lot of reviews of it but I attribute that to it being "just" a basic mil-spec rifle. But, the specs are the best thing about this rifle in my opinion. Spikes lists every single spec about the rifle that you can think of over on their site and they're all pretty solid (see below).

Reliability has been 100% so far FWIW and it comes in at a pretty attractive price point (generally $750-900 depending where you look). It also has a lifetime warranty which will likely be important to a lot of folks looking for a complete factory rifle.

I shot it in the factory configuration as well as with some of Magpul's new SL furniture and really liked it in that configuration.

Upper:
* CNC Machined from a 7075 T6 MIL-H-6088 Forging
* Extended M4 Feed Ramps Machined before Plating
* MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized Finish
* Interior MIL-L-46010 Dryfilm Lube
* Mil-Spec Forward Assist Assembly with Tool Steel Pawl and 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating
* Forged Mil-Spec Charging Handle with MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized Finish

Barrel Group:
* Barrel Steel is Certified MIL-B-11595E Chromoly Vanadium Alloy
* Barrels are Stress Relieved
* Mil-Spec M4 Barrel Extension with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Finish
* 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Chamber
* 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Bore
* 5.56mm Nato chamber
* All Barrels are Individually High Pressure Tested (HPT) and then Individually Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)
* Mil-Spec 303 Stainless Steel Gas Tube enhanced with Melonite Finish

BCG:
* Mil-Spec 8620 Tool Steel M16 Bolt Carrier with Shrouded Firing Pin
* Carrier is 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coated inside and out with 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Bore
* Mil-Spec Tool Steel Carrier Key
* Carrier Key is 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coated inside and out with 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Bore
* Carrier Key is installed with Grade 8 Hardware and Properly Staked
* Bolt is CNC Machined from Carpenter-158 Steel
* Bolt is 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coated inside and out
* All Bolts are Shot Peened per current Mil-Spec Requirements
* All Bolts are Individually High Pressure Tested (HPT) and then Individually Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)
* Tool steel Extractor is Shot Peened, 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coated, Fitted with a Mil-Spec Black Extractor Spring Insert and Mil-Spec Viton O-Ring
* Mil-Spec Firing Pin with 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Finish
* Mil-Spec Cam Pin with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating
* Mil-Spec Firing Pin Retaining Pin with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating

Full review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo1dNgUd0p8

clarkz71
02-23-16, 13:22
Not to worry..............

Nocalsocal
02-23-16, 14:07
Nice review. Matches my experience with them as well. Fyi I've subscribed to your channel since the beginning. Keep up the good work!

zibby43
02-23-16, 16:45
Another excellent review. I appreciate the fact that you try to keep your methodology consistent. Subscribed.

Nice shooting, too!

Fluffy Bunny
02-23-16, 23:05
Great review, thanks for putting it together. PS the weak point of your reviews is always when you forget to breathe and your voice gets extra-throaty.

C-grunt
02-24-16, 00:13
Nice review as usual. One thing that I have had a problem with before, not on this video though, has been the accuracy reviews. On a couple films Ive had a hard time telling which target you are shooting at, and subsequently a hard time seeing where the rounds land. Ive never edited a YouTube video so I have no idea how hard it would be, but maybe put an arrow or something in to show which target you are shooting at.

Keep up the good work. Ive been a subscriber for several years now.

masenomics
02-24-16, 09:51
Great review man I always enjoy watching your vids. I'm not really a fan of spikes but that rifle appears to have all the checks on the list. Thanks for the unbiased reviews.

Gardnaaa
02-24-16, 10:03
Thanks for all your videos and reviews. I always watch them and appreciate the unbiased reviews. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrgunsngear
02-24-16, 11:24
Another excellent review. I appreciate the fact that you try to keep your methodology consistent. Subscribed.

Nice shooting, too!

Thanks. Welcome to the channel

Mrgunsngear
02-24-16, 11:25
Great review, thanks for putting it together. PS the weak point of your reviews is always when you forget to breathe and your voice gets extra-throaty.

Thanks for the feedback.