PDA

View Full Version : P225A-Anyone have time behind one?

Got UZI
02-24-16, 07:16
Has anyone here shot the P225A? Looking for some feedback before I get one.

halo2304
03-27-16, 09:35
I only found out about this about a week ago. I've always liked the P225 and wished I had bought one of the last batch that were imported a few years back. I'd prefer the old ones over the new version, but my interest is piqued. And that's hard to do these days.

ndmiller
03-27-16, 10:13
Have an old mid 90's west german P6 version and it's a tack driver and a great carry piece. The price of the new and the fact they changed the magazines keeps me away from the new version. I'm sure the new P225A would be a perfectly fine used pickup down the road.

ShipWreck
03-27-16, 10:35
I like the new 225 they are selling, but it's just an awful lot of cash for a single stack pistol that is so large. If it was cheaper, I might buy one.

TheChunkNorris
03-27-16, 11:24
Have an old mid 90's west german P6 version and it's a tack driver and a great carry piece. The price of the new and the fact they changed the magazines keeps me away from the new version. I'm sure the new P225A would be a perfectly fine used pickup down the road.

I too have a P6 and think you're spot on with your assessment of that model vs the 225A.

halo2304
03-27-16, 13:03

Magazine availability was what kept me from buying a P6. I already have a pair of P7s and P9s and the magazines are expensive and less than common these days.

poor_ph
03-27-16, 19:41
Magazine availability was what kept me from buying a P6. I already have a pair of P7s and P9s and the magazines are expensive and less than common these days.

I agree 100%. Magazines are hard to come by and expensive when found. A great pistol though.

samuse
03-27-16, 22:29
I haven't even seen one but I kinda want... I really like the P239 and I think the P225A1 has a little more grip and I heard they improved the magazines quite a bit.

arbninftry
03-27-16, 23:09
From my understanding, they use the p239 magazine with a different floor plate to accommodate the longer grip. And the slides are the same.

1986s4
03-28-16, 09:41
I sure like my classic P225, slim yet big enough to shoot well. I think it carries light enough, despite being heavier than the newer poly frame SS from Smith and Glock. I would be interested in getting a new 225A if I didn't already have the classic. Since I have the classic already I can wait until I find a used 225A.

I would expect the 225A shares the good qualities of the classic 225 and the one downside I can think of, low capacity.

Got UZI
03-28-16, 11:53
Well I decided to buy one for myself last week (birthday present to myself) To answer some of the questions posted here-

Yes-the magazine is the same body as a P239 with a different floor plate

No-the slide is not the same as the P239

It shoots very well, but I have to get used to the smaller size as I'm used to a full size gun. My primary use for the P225A-1 is to carry while in the office at work. I will still use my MK25 as my EDC for everything else. I have started the design process of making new base plates with the intention of making the mags 10 rd while still being flush fit (more will be posted on this) The DA trigger pull is heavier than my MK25 but the SA trigger is great right out of the box. I am working on making the DA smoother and lighter while keeping it 100% reliable.

Gary1911A1
03-29-16, 18:27
I have not even seen the new 225 let alone felt one in my hand, but I can't believe it's better than a 228 so I'm not really interested in the new 225.

halo2304
03-30-16, 08:38
I have not even seen the new 225 let alone felt one in my hand, but I can't believe it's better than a 228 so I'm not really interested in the new 225.

The P225 single stack vs. the P228 is double stack. If you're looking for a thinner gun, the P225 is where it's at in the SIG lineup.

arbninftry
03-30-16, 16:24
Yep you are right on not using the same slide. I was mistaken, I thought since they use the same barrel, they use the same slide. They don't.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WRBDUdJl6wI

Scroll to the 14:00 mark for a side by side comparison.

Well I decided to buy one for myself last week (birthday present to myself) To answer some of the questions posted here-

Yes-the magazine is the same body as a P239 with a different floor plate

No-the slide is not the same as the P239

It shoots very well, but I have to get used to the smaller size as I'm used to a full size gun. My primary use for the P225A-1 is to carry while in the office at work. I will still use my MK25 as my EDC for everything else. I have started the design process of making new base plates with the intention of making the mags 10 rd while still being flush fit (more will be posted on this) The DA trigger pull is heavier than my MK25 but the SA trigger is great right out of the box. I am working on making the DA smoother and lighter while keeping it 100% reliable.