PDA

View Full Version : Loose BCM stock

ncshooter18
02-24-16, 10:21
I have a BCM Mod 0 stock and it is very loose on both a Colt RE and a Damage Industries milspec RE. Has anyone else noticed their BCM stock being loose?

djegators
02-24-16, 10:38
How loose? I have found them to fit rather snug.

P2000
02-24-16, 13:42
Mine has a bit of play on a bcm receiver extension. Nothing excessive. Doesn't bother me while shooting.

Stickman
02-24-16, 13:54
Nope. However, "very loose" is a highly subjective term.

odugrad
02-24-16, 13:55
I have three GF stocks and they all are very snug.

GH41
02-24-16, 15:47
Nope. However, "very loose" is a highly subjective term.

Highly subjective at best. What difference does it make if a stock is a little loose anyway? Loose leaves room for dirt. The same guys that complain about a loose stock run accuwedges, KNS pins and JP silent springs. The sound a GI magazine rattling would send them over the edge.

TommyG
02-24-16, 16:11
I installed one just today that has a wee bit of wiggle but I would not call it loose. The best way I can describe it is that it is tight on the buffer tube and does not move when I shoulder the rifle. I can make it rattle slightly if a shake the rifle. No worse than any others that I have had and far better than most.

zackmars
02-24-16, 16:19
my stock has a tiny bit of rattle when all the way out on my BCM RE. otherwise it's solid

pointblank4445
02-24-16, 16:22
My BCM was also very loose on Colt, Vltor milspec, and Vltor A5 receiver extensions. I ended up putting a couple coats of Averoe on the re, and it took out some of the play...still not as "snug" as my SOPMOD's...

nate89
02-24-16, 16:59
I have a BCM stock, and a Magpul SL stock. The BCM does have a bit of wobble, but I never notice when actually shooting it. If I was comparing the SL to the BCM stock, I would call the BCM a 'looser' fit, but that is academic at best, no impact on function whatsoever. I have three friends with BCM guns and every stock they have feels pretty much like mine. I would say expect a slight amount of wobble, but not enough to worry about.

djegators
02-24-16, 17:10
I have a BCM stock, and a Magpul SL stock. The BCM does have a bit of wobble, but I never notice when actually shooting it. If I was comparing the SL to the BCM stock, I would call the BCM a 'looser' fit, but that is academic at best, no impact on function whatsoever. I have three friends with BCM guns and every stock they have feels pretty much like mine. I would say expect a slight amount of wobble, but not enough to worry about.

I would agree with that as well....my SL is almost too tight. But IMO all the newer stocks are designed to fit tighter, and they do,...the SL, the BCM, and the DD specifically.

ncshooter18
02-24-16, 17:18
Highly subjective at best. What difference does it make if a stock is a little loose anyway? Loose leaves room for dirt. The same guys that complain about a loose stock run accuwedges, KNS pins and JP silent springs. The sound a GI magazine rattling would send them over the edge.

I don't run any of that stuff, I just don't think a $60 BCM stock should have the same or more play than a Colt M4 stock.

JoshNC
02-24-16, 17:22
Mine also has a fair bit of play vertically on a LMT, Colt, and BCM RE. Doesn't bother me.

GH41
02-24-16, 18:42
I don't run any of that stuff, I just don't think a $60 BCM stock should have the same or more play than a Colt M4 stock.

Why not? Isn't the Colt M4 stock mil spec? Please tell me why a loose stock is bad. What does $60 have to do with anything?

P2000
02-24-16, 19:11
Once you shoulder the rifle, there is no play. The butt pad hangs almost entirely below the RE, creating torque in one direction which eliminates the play.

If it makes you feel better, my SR-15 (SOPMOD on a KAC/LMT RE) has more play than the BCM stock on BCM RE. The fact is that it doesn't matter.

If your goal is zero wobble, take a look at Magpul STR stocks, they have a tension spring mechanism/lever thing. I have one on my SPR. You can also put a 2'' piece of electrical tape on the top inside of the stock, then put the stock on the RE. That will reduce the clearance/wobble.

Kain
02-24-16, 20:36
I have a BCM m4 style stock as well as a BCM Gunfighter stock. The Gunfighter is tighter then my ex's..... well it's tight we will just say that. I mean tighter enough that is can be a bit of a bitch to adjust on some of the tubes that I have. The M4? It has some play, but still is more than tight enough for what I want it for. I also have a Magpul ACS with the tension lever, that has more play on the rifle that it is on then my BCM gunfighter does for what that is worth.

My opinion, if you want no wobble a fixed stock is likely the best place to look. After that, understand, that like upper and lower fit, you have to take into account that there are going to be varying tolerances and sometimes you get the tolerances to stack one way to get a super tight fit, and other times it is the other way and you have wobble. The difference it makes is likely less than most people would like to think it might.

wildcard600
02-24-16, 20:38
I would add the Magpul CTR to the list as well. I has a "lock" which reduces alot of the wobble as well. I have a CTR on one of my rifles and it works good.

Uprange41
02-24-16, 20:41
Why not? Isn't the Colt M4 stock mil spec? Please tell me why a loose stock is bad. What does $60 have to do with anything?

Pretty much this.

ballsagna
02-24-16, 20:42
I have the same stock and is pretty wobbly and loose. I honestly didn't think much of it. I just really like the function and sling points.

Honestly, if it had been a cheaper manufacturer I might have questioned it. Just goes to show that the BCM reputation buys them the benefit of the doubt.

Sent while driving 80mph on the freeway

ballsout
02-24-16, 22:01
mine is solid. Zero wobble on LMT tube.

markm
02-24-16, 22:08
Mine has some play. Who cares? It's not rattling or anything.

ballsagna
02-24-16, 22:11
Mine came with a tube and buffer. So maybe the wobbling is specific to the tube? Still, it doesn't really matter.

Iraqgunz
02-24-16, 23:48
Interesting because I have several of them on my guns, and all of my AR's use the Vltor A5. I have virtually no play.

My BCM was also very loose on Colt, Vltor milspec, and Vltor A5 receiver extensions. I ended up putting a couple coats of Averoe on the re, and it took out some of the play...still not as "snug" as my SOPMOD's...

SDSwoll
02-25-16, 02:34
Mine has a little play on a BCM RE. Def not enough that it's ever worried me. If you fall into the ocd crowd of everything needing to be held to super tight tolerances there are fixes for the wobble (some have already been mentioned here) or return it. IMO it is an excellent stock for the money.

JC5188
02-25-16, 07:19
As a general rule, if I buy a stacked leather Ka-Bar, I don't expect the level of finish to equal a Randall model 1.

Both do the job.

The stock is doing what it was intended to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themonk
02-25-16, 07:34

What should have been the first question in this thread - Have you contacted BCM?

Fatorangecat
02-25-16, 08:41
I don't know why people are jumping the OP for not wanting a wobbly stock. If it doesn't bother you.....good for you. Clearly the OP wants a tighter fit, some people do or Magpul wouldn't incorporate tensioning levers into their design. I have no experience with the BCM stock. The MP SL fits very tight and has no detectable movement on a Vltor A5 RE. Can't really speak to other REs as I always use the A5.

pointblank4445
02-25-16, 09:41
Interesting because I have several of them on my guns, and all of my AR's use the Vltor A5. I have virtually no play.

That's the case with mine and the particular a5 it was on. Not all of my a5's have been the same over the years. One wouldn't play nice with a sopmod. Same does for the sopmods...not all the same fit on the same re.

REdruM0351
02-25-16, 14:29
I bought one that had some play. I just changed it out with an extra Bravo I had and put the BCM stock on my kids rifle. He won't know the difference. Lol

lee84101
02-25-16, 15:18
I bought a complete BCM lower that came with a mod0 stock. I think it's a great stock but it had a little too much play for my liking. After I stuck a tab of velcro loop on top of the receiver extension, it fit perfect.

http://i65.tinypic.com/24loaxk.jpg

kest_01
02-25-16, 15:48
The one I have on a Colt RE has virtually no play at all, I'd say it's has less play than a CTR I have on a Colt as well.

Springfield
02-25-16, 20:34
Mine is tight as well on a BCM RC, tighter then the other stocks I have (LMT M4 style and Magpul MOE).

ballsagna
02-25-16, 21:55
I bought a complete BCM lower that came with a mod0 stock. I think it's a great stock but it had a little too much play for my liking. After I stuck a tab of velcro loop on top of the receiver extension, it fit perfect.

http://i65.tinypic.com/24loaxk.jpg
Pretty clever

floridajpr@mail.com
02-26-16, 19:28
I have a BCM m4 style stock as well as a BCM Gunfighter stock. The Gunfighter is tighter then my ex's..... well it's tight we will just say that. I mean tighter enough that is can be a bit of a bitch to adjust on some of the tubes that I have. The M4? It has some play, but still is more than tight enough for what I want it for. I also have a Magpul ACS with the tension lever, that has more play on the rifle that it is on then my BCM gunfighter does for what that is worth.

My opinion, if you want no wobble a fixed stock is likely the best place to look. After that, understand, that like upper and lower fit, you have to take into account that there are going to be varying tolerances and sometimes you get the tolerances to stack one way to get a super tight fit, and other times it is the other way and you have wobble. The difference it makes is likely less than most people would like to think it might.

I had a BCM Gunfighter stock kit and the stock was so loose right out of the box that I gave the stock to my neighbor for his first AR. Funny thing is, it fit a lot tighter on his buffer tube than it did on the BCM buffer tube that came with the Gunfighter stock kit?
I used the BCM buffer tube kit with a MFT Minimalist and it fit on the BCM buffer tube nice and tight. I still cannot figure that one out.

ace4059
02-27-16, 01:26
I wish my BCM stocks were loose. I purchased them from G&R when they first came out with the BCM lower and they are the tightest stock I've seen. I have to have a hammer to adjust them. They WILL NOT slide on the tube by hand. You have to beat them to make them move. Total of three, and all are the same. Maybe they were too tight when they first came out and they loosened them up for ease of adjustability.

clarkz71
02-27-16, 08:44
I would add the Magpul CTR to the list as well. I has a "lock" which reduces alot of the wobble as well. I have a CTR on one of my rifles and it works good.

Yes, the Magpul CTR fits tight on my Colt. Zero play.

Even with the tensioner off minimum play.

Ratfink
02-27-16, 09:32
I've had two and they were both very tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssc
02-27-16, 18:42
This is interesting. I have been going through a similar issue. It seems to me that all extentions that are mill spec, should have the same specs. I have LMT's sopmod's, various magpuls, other stocks and three B-5's. They all work great, with one exception. They all fit fine and I can move them and adjust them with no drama-except one. Some are a bit tighter than others, but no issue-except one. I wanted to replace my green B-5 enhanced sopmod with a black one. So I bought it a while back and forgot where I bought it. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I installed it on my build that has the green B-5. It was so tight, I had to put the gun in a vice and use all my strength to push it on the receiver. It was impossible to adjust it by hand. The adjustment lever seemed problematic. I tried it on three other lowers with the same issue. I figured it must be out of spec, since my other two B-5's work great. I emailed B-5 and they sent me a new sopmod. Just for the record, let me say that the customer service at B-5 was outstanding. My new B-5 is almost as tight. Hence, I must conclude that they have tightened their stocks or have a different spec. Maybe they have gone to a tighter fit due to customer feedback, I do not know. However, as this thread seems to reflect, one mans loose stock may be another mans perfect stock and one mans tight stock may be too tight to some and perfect for others. Just a few thoughts.

Cheers, Steve

rondooley
02-27-16, 21:34
Mine was very loose. Replaced the buffer tube and....still rattled...sold it

Uprange41
02-27-16, 22:41
Let me ask some of the folks who care about stock wobble... When you're running a drill, and actually using the rifle, do you even notice it?

pointblank4445
02-28-16, 08:54
Let me ask some of the folks who care about stock wobble... When you're running a drill, and actually using the rifle, do you even notice it?

My BCM in question was on an SPR of sorts. When I get into certain positions (prone for example), I sometimes like to run 1 more position extended than I would just runnin' and gunnin'. With the the BCM on the Vltor A5 set at the next to last position (from being fully extended), the play was noticeable when trying to settle in behind the rifle for precision work. Each position the stock was moved in, the better. 2 positions in, it was useable, 3 positions in, what I would consider normal. Fully extended was the worst, obviously but even at my size that's not a place where I ever run my guns.

pinzgauer
02-28-16, 09:52
Yes, the Magpul CTR fits tight on my Colt. Zero play.

Even with the tensioner off minimum play.

My experience as well, and I've stopped even bothering with others.

As to the folks who ask do you notice it?... A loose stock would bug me, may or may not impact shooting though.

I'm not a tight 1911 guy, and even a bit of AR wobble would not scare me off. But if it's avoidable, I prefer not to wobble/rattle.

And with a CTR (and even most MOEs) its avoidable.

But even issue m4s are not as loose as some of the aftermarket.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Brassnbullets
02-29-16, 16:51
My bcm stock fits tight over my receiver extension also tried it on my buddy's rifle it was also tight

OrbitalE
02-29-16, 22:51
My bcm stock fits tight over my receiver extension also tried it on my buddy's rifle it was also tight

Two BCM stocks on my BCM A5 wobble; fit tight within the first two positions, then progressively get worse the further out they get.

Pilgrim
02-29-16, 23:05
I'm getting wobble. Enough that it makes a sound when walking. But only with the BCM supplied extensions?

rapomstage3
03-04-16, 20:04
Haha. Can I save this quote. My gunfighters are tight and I'll admit that when I do adjust them I feel like a pussy because damn are they locked up. I'd say if you shake the rifle and it makes sound (from the stock) then maybe somethings up. If I grab mine it may wiggle very little but it's well within tolerance.