PDA

View Full Version : PSA Freedom SS Barrels

wrecks30
02-24-16, 11:19
So I have been piecing together a new AR, basically just to see if I could do it myself and end up with a weapon that I built. A "Frankenrifle" if you will.
So I am about halfway through the process and was looking for a free float 13.5 or 15 inch rail. I was interested in the keymod, but also the MLOK versions. Someone pointed me to PSA and I found a 13.5 inch MLOK already installed on a Freedom Upper with Stainless Barrel, for not too much more money than the MLOK alone. I was also looking at barrels anyway (Fluted Wilson), so I thought what the hell, its the rail I want with a barrel thrown in.
So I bought the upper and I really like the look of the Stainless barrel. I have been unable to find out who makes the Freedom barrels, but I'm told that it may be Wilson, If that's the case then HOOAH! But I'm not sure. I will for sure use the rail, I already have an upper, so that doesn't matter, but I was Just wanting to see if anyone has any experience with these barrels? I have searched and searched for the barrel maker, but no luck. It is a 16" Stainless non Chrome lined. but it is Lead lapped. The whole upper looks to be properly put together, Alignments looks good and the feed ramps are spot on. Anybody know anything whatsoever about these PSA Barrels?

Thanks

mack7.62
02-24-16, 13:44
The fact that PSA will not release the maker of the Freedom barrels should be a clue, I don't believe it is Wilson. My best guess is that they source them from a number of the cheaper barrel makers. The only barrels I would buy from them are the ones made by FN. YMMV.

fallenromeo
02-24-16, 15:51
I have no clue who makes their stainless barrels, but I wouldn't worry about it. You already have the barrel, just go shoot it. Their freedom line is their higher quality line of products anyways, so I would be confident it will be a decent barrel, although I doubt it is made by Wilson.

djegators
02-24-16, 17:12
Purely speculative on my part, but it seems unlikely that they are Wilson barrels based on the fact that complete Freedom uppers sell for less than Wilson barrels.

bigwagon
02-24-16, 18:22
I wouldn't assume that because don't name their suppliers for all the private label parts they sell that they are hiding anything. It may be part of an agreement with the supplier. This doesn't just apply to PSA and these barrels. It's common in many industries where vendors supply many (often competing) brands.

wrecks30
02-24-16, 19:18
I have searched many many threads trying to figure out the maker. I have ran across a thread where a PSA rep hinted that they were made locally, but didn't say anything else. They are out of South Carolina, so unless they make them in house I'm at a loss. Just don't know why it's such a big secret. I'm no professional, but The barrel seems well made. I may just abuse the crap out of it and see what happens. I just got it and haven't had a chance to test it. Since I was mainly after the MI Hand guard, the barrel is just a bonus.

Stickman
02-24-16, 22:17
I've posted this before, and I will again. Who makes the barrel isn't important, the specs they are made to is what is important.

mack7.62
02-25-16, 06:41
They might be sourcing these from different companies at different times.

wrecks30
02-25-16, 08:40
I've posted this before, and I will again. Who makes the barrel isn't important, the specs they are made to is what is important.

I do agree with you to an extent.
But if a reputable company made the barrel, you will more than likely know its all good. An unknown maker can tell you "its up to spec don't worry" I cant look at a barrel and tell that it is up to spec.

If I buy a barrel from FN, I pretty much know exactly what I'm getting and that it will be good to go. If I buy a barrel from an unknown source, I can only go by whatever someone tells me and hope they aren't feeding me crap.

But Like I said, I'm not real concerned about my barrel, Just curious.

pinzgauer
02-25-16, 08:52
Purely speculative on my part, but it seems unlikely that they are Wilson barrels based on the fact that complete Freedom uppers sell for less than Wilson barrels.

This is not that unlikely as you'd think as the upper mfgs buy barrels in large lots and much lower than individual retail price.

J&T comes to mind... They will tell you who makes their barrels and it's not that hard to confirm.

henschman
02-25-16, 09:29
Regardless of who makes them, everybody who has them seems to like how they shoot.

wrecks30
02-25-16, 09:32
Regardless of who makes them, everybody who has them seems to like how they shoot.

That's good to hear. Once I get some time off I will test it.
I am stationed at Dover AFB as an Army Liaison for the Port Mortuary and we stay fairly busy. Plus it is illegal to fire rifles in Delaware due to it being so flat. I have a local indoor range but its maxed out at 25 yards. Kinda blows.

wrecks30
02-25-16, 09:36
Here is a pic attached to one of my lowers. I love the stainless look.

ncshooter18
02-25-16, 11:26
I had 2 and they both had issues with peening/gouges on the bbl extension lugs. I got a refund.

HelloLarry
02-25-16, 18:12
Keep in mind that Wilson makes different grades of barrel.

I sincerely doubt that the PSA Freedom barrel is a lapped match grade barrel, even if it is a Wilson.

Jewell
03-10-16, 06:42
My son has the exact same thing. He liked the looks of it, the price was nice, and it's ran fine for him.

Personally, being how you already have it, I wouldn't worry too much about who makes the barrel. Go out and enjoy it.

LR24
03-10-16, 09:49
Also there is a difference between Wilson Combat and Wilson Arms, they both make barrels.

wrecks30
03-10-16, 15:50
I took it to the range on Saturday. I was thoroughly impressed. I attached a bipod and used open sites at 50 meters. Very acurate as is. I have come to the conclusion that I will keep this barrel, at least for now as I have many other expenses. My local shop has complete BCM lowers in stock, also a variety of stripped lowers. I really want a stripped lower. But having a hard time finding decent LPKs in stock anywhere. Decision, decisions.

_Stormin_
03-10-16, 16:15
Plus it is illegal to fire rifles in Delaware due to it being so flat.
Really? I couldn't find any reference to that online.

wrecks30
03-10-16, 21:02
Yup, except at an approve range. No hunting or anything. Thats what was briefed to me when I inprocessed. You can hunt with shotguns or muzzleloaders only. I only know of one outdoor rifle range and it requires an expensive membership.

A copy and paste from
http://gun.laws.com/state-hunting-laws/delaware-hunting-laws

Disturbing animal nesting is also illegal. Hunting seasons are based primarily on the type of animal hunted and the method used to harvest game. Delaware law favor the use of less advanced hunting weapons like Muzzle loaders, bows and crossbows, and shotguns. Use of hunting Rifles is generally not legal.

TheNegativeOne
03-10-16, 21:33
I would trust anything from psa. They provide top tier rifles and parts at mid tier prices.

SmugPePe
03-10-16, 22:53
PSA actually already released their supplier sources.

The barrels are made by one of following
-Fn
-mossberg
-wilson

Thats it. The upper OP is looking at is apparently mossberg.

Their upper and lower is either of following

-L.W. SCHNEIDER
-AERO PRECISION (OLDER LOWER)

Their small parts like pin, lpk , forward assit, castle nut, etc. Are made by L.W. SCHNEIDER

GLAD TO HELP!

Internet credit point 1+!