PDA

View Full Version : .223 40 gr SBST

BrettD
08-17-08, 17:50
G'day,

I'm trying to confirm whether Winchester have ever produced a .223 Rem 40gr Supreme Ballistic Silver Tip round. It's not in their web catalogue, so I'm guessing it's no longer manufactured (if indeed it ever existed).

I've found details on a .222 Rem 40gr BST round, but as the round in question is supposedly used in the M4A1, I've discounted the .222.

This site seems to field a substantial knowledge base, and I'd appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Brett

BYUP
08-18-08, 20:38
Nosler makes that bullet.If that bullet w/o moly is acceptable,get 40 gr ballistic tips.

10MMGary
08-18-08, 21:41
Winchester does/did indeed sell a factory loaded 223 40gr Supreme Balistic SliverTip round, and it is a Nosler projectile. They also loaded it in .222 .22-250 and .220 swift. In my Rem model 700-BDL chambered in .223 Rem with a 1-12 twist<(IIRC) they were amazingly accurate. They came in a black box with red and gold trim and even a neat little graph on the end flap to explain to you what that particular box of ammo was best at blasting critter wise. I would have never thought to try them in a M4. I do know that that particular projectile would not be my choice for two legged critters, but it really wreaked havoc on black grass rats and crows:) BTW Winchester calls that coating "Lubalox"

BrettD
08-18-08, 23:25
Thanks for the replies gents.

As I understood it, Winchester's Ballistic Silver Tip is distinct from the Nosler projectile. BST is pretty much your run-of-the-mill Jacketed Soft Point: exposed core at the front, deforms on impact and the increased surface area + high impact energy causes the rest of the projectile to deform and 'mushroom'.

Nosler projectiles don't have an exposed core, they have a plastic (?) ballistic tip that is driven into the core on impact, splaying the jacket and edges of the core and causing the round to expand that way.

The effect at target may be very similar, but the way it's achieved differs in both rounds.

I'm more than happy to be contradicted and I'm not trying to be anal - as with all .223 rem applications against 2-legged pests, precision is everything!

Thanks guys, hope your son has a quiet one Gary.

10MMGary
08-19-08, 01:08
Below is the text taken from a Winchester ad and a link to a Sportsmansguide webpage ad that states it is the Nosler Balistic Tip projectile loaded by Winchester. I am also familiar with the SilverTip projectile you mention, however I have not seen that particular one in .22 cal(doesn't mean there isn't one). I used it often in 30-30 loads for my model 94. I also load a Winchester SilverTip jacketed hollowpoint in 10MM Auto/40S&W and 38-40WCF

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=380177

Faced with varmints or thin-skinned game at long ranges, Ballistic Silvertip Centerfire Rifle Ammunition is the choice of dedicated hunters. This "pinpoint" accurate ammunition combines the proven Nosler® Ballistic Tip® with a patented, Winchester Lubalox® coating for the ultimate in extreme range performance.
The exclusive silver polycarbonate tip is integrated into the bullet during the forming process for uniform shape and roundness. In varmint calibers, the jacket contains a pure lead core to promote instantaneous fragmentation. Larger calibers are constructed with long range accuracy and flat trajectory foremost in mind. They feature different jacket contours and harder lead cores for controlled bullet expansion. Winchester Ballistic Silvertip™ Centerfire Rifle Ammunition is the round to shoot when you demand unparalleled accuracy and "game specific" bullet performance.

P.S. Thanks for the thoughts for our Son Brett, he in fact is now here at our home visiting from socal before he deploys again(mid Sept)to Iraq. He is not happy as he found out he is returning to a previous AO and supposedly it is very quiet there now, he was hoping for Afghanistan this time. For his Mother and I quiet and little to none in the action dept is a very good thing.

BrettD
08-19-08, 04:49
That's very useful info Gary, cheers.