PDA

View Full Version : American Grit!

WillBrink
02-24-16, 14:50
American Grit is a new Fox reality show coming out soon. I bring your attention to it, as a good buddy of mine - Sgt. Vaglica - is on this show. I like the concept - ex mil leading four teams through various tests with general misery had by all - and it looks like it could be fun. Host is John Cena. If you have seen my vids of functional range stuff and SWAT related comps I have posted over the years, Jim eas from that crew and a stand up individual.

It's a mix of various competitive driven people (my buddy the only LEO on the show) and made up of men and women with a few people I'd be surprised if they lasted long....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7tigjUTLNc

Page from Fox.

Jim is about middle of the page. He's not a Boston cop (Waltham cop) FYI.

http://www.fox.com/american-grit/competitors

Eurodriver
02-24-16, 14:54
Being in the U.S. Military, especially on a deployment, is about so much more than physical strength and endurance...

I'm sure it will make great viewing for people who haven't laced up a set of boots.

Firefly
02-24-16, 15:06
So.....Survivor with Army guys?

I'd sooner see like an Oregon Trail type show where you and three dudes are given so much money to buy a budget vehicle and go on an epic road trip. With like challenges of marksmanship, karaoke, and nailing the ugliest woman in a club then trying to find a 10 to nail. It unlocks the "Fives" achievement.

Or something. But yeah....happy for your friend that he got on TV but this looks lame and John Cena isn't helping matters much.

Tldr what Euro said

WillBrink
02-24-16, 15:16
Being in the U.S. Military, especially on a deployment, is about so much more than physical strength and endurance...

I'm sure it will make great viewing for people who haven't laced up a set of boots.

I don't expect any reality TV show would give anyone an idea of legit mil experience, especially with cute yoga instructors and such as contestants. I only hope it does not suck and is better than others of the ilk.

I'd sooner see like an Oregon Trail type show where you and three dudes are given so much money to buy a budget vehicle and go on an epic road trip. With like challenges of marksmanship, karaoke, and nailing the ugliest woman in a club then trying to find a 10 to nail. It unlocks the "Fives" achievement.

Or something. But yeah....happy for your friend that he got on TV but this looks lame and John Cena isn't helping matters much.

Tldr what Euro said

Best we can hope for, is it's an improvement over prior attempts at the concept.

WickedWillis
02-24-16, 15:25
Nicholas Irving is in this, he should do really well.

Benito
02-24-16, 19:34
Like any reality show, there are a couple of totally smashable chicks in the mix. I mean all-weekend-long-never-leave-the-house smashable.

I like that no excuses mommy and the spanish chick.

WillBrink
02-24-16, 19:43
Like any reality show, there are a couple of totally smashable chicks in the mix. I mean all-weekend-long-never-leave-the-house smashable.

I like that no excuses mommy and the spanish chick.

I'm glad you found the potential upsides of the show. The yoga teacher is pretty cute too. See sec 16 of vid:

http://www.fox.com/watch/628618307512/7809362688

Works for me....

Moose-Knuckle
02-25-16, 01:02
Best we can hope for, is it's an improvement over prior attempts at the concept.

First thing that came to mind when I read your OP.

Combat Missions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Missions

Special Ops Mission
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Ops_Mission

SteyrAUG
02-25-16, 01:06
Special Ops Mission
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Ops_Mission

I actually kinda dug that one.

Moose-Knuckle
02-25-16, 01:10

Oh I watched them both, they each only lasted one season. These were the only reality competition shows I ever watched.

cbx
02-25-16, 09:04
Will, did your buddy say if all the machine wanted to talk about was how he's a nattty?.........

I kid, I kid....... That was a little below the belt.

Congrats to you friend!

WillBrink
02-25-16, 09:51
Will, did your buddy say if all the machine wanted to talk about was how he's a nattty?.........

I kid, I kid....... That was a little below the belt.

Congrats to you friend!

I don't get that joke. Is that a Cena joke? Was Cena called "the machine" while in WWE? I don't know much about the guy myself, but he is a big dude that's for sure.

I will say that I think anyone over 12 watching pro wrestling is a few slices short of a sandwich in my view, but, people do not appreciate at all the athleticism some of those guys possess to put on that show. You're a big athletic dude with a gift for a show and someone wants to pay you 7 figures to entertain people, what you gonna do? Money, fame, women, etc. Sounds awful...

To repeat, pro wrestling at that level is a very tough gig, make no mistake about that. Ken Shamrock told me he was far more beat up and injured when he did the pro wrestling thing vs UFC.

Me, I think it's goofy chit but that does not take away what those guys put into the job. I think he's a good fit for a host of such a show, but I'll have to watch it and see. he may come off as a DB and ruin it too. ;)

JC5188
02-25-16, 09:58

Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
02-25-16, 10:00
Oh I watched them both, they each only lasted one season. These were the only reality competition shows I ever watched.

I watched them too. But they appeal to a tiny segment of people, hence why they didn't last. Shows that attempt something close to realism (vs TV nonsense and hype) and is all dudes, is doomed to fail. This show has seemingly legit team leaders (Ranger, SEAL, etc) leading teams of athletic people of various backgrounds - to include cute fit chicks - that aims to target the current craze for obstacle course races etc (Spartan, etc) with a pro mil focus. If done well, might be a balance that makes a large % of people watch it.

cbx
02-25-16, 15:38
I don't get that joke. Is that a Cena joke? Was Cena called "the machine" while in WWE? I don't know much about the guy myself, but he is a big dude that's for sure.

I will say that I think anyone over 12 watching pro wrestling is a few slices short of a sandwich in my view, but, people do not appreciate at all the athleticism some of those guys possess to put on that show. You're a big athletic dude with a gift for a show and someone wants to pay you 7 figures to entertain people, what you gonna do? Money, fame, women, etc. Sounds awful...

To repeat, pro wrestling at that level is a very tough gig, make no mistake about that. Ken Shamrock told me he was far more beat up and injured when he did the pro wrestling thing vs UFC.

Me, I think it's goofy chit but that does not take away what those guys put into the job. I think he's a good fit for a host of such a show, but I'll have to watch it and see. he may come off as a DB and ruin it too. ;)
Marc Lobliner joke. Half of the time he's going around talking about how natty he is.

Then this week he throws out a video saying he's on test.......

WillBrink
05-02-16, 09:30
Anyone been checking it out? My buddy Jim is still there. One of the "cadre" on this show is Nick Irving, a regular contributor of SOFREP I came to learn:

Learn why Ranger sniper Nick Irving earned the name ‘The Reaper’

"If you haven’t seen the new TV show “American Grit” on Fox yet, the action-packed show stars Nick Irving—longtime Loadout Room and SOFREP contributor, and former Army Ranger sniper—as one of the military veteran “cadre.” Each cadre member is tasked to lead and mentor a team of four civilians through military-inspired obstacles and challenges. Nick, along with the rest of the cadre, are faced with a difficult decision every week, as they have to handpick one of their team members to run through the circus (the endurance portion that will result in the elimination of the person who rings the brass bell first)."

Cont:

https://sofrep.com/52644/learn-why-former-army-sniper-nick-irving-earned-the-name-the-reaper/

MountainRaven
05-02-16, 11:38

Tldr what Euro said

So Top Gear with sex?