PDA

View Full Version : You are about to go back to 1859. You can bring 85 lbs of supplies into the time

AnthonyCumia
02-25-16, 04:42
You're about to get sent back to 1860. You can bring 85lbs of supplies into the time machine, what do you bring? Why do you bring it? What do you hope to do?

Update!

I would find and kill Karl Marx.

uffdaphil
02-25-16, 05:29
15 pounds of Bic pen refils to get rich quick. Down time tech can make the bodies.

20 pounds of large rifle primers. Down time can make the cases, powder and bullets. Might take a while to ramp up primer production. Shorten the Civil War.

40 pounds of computer tech (with solar chargers) with virtually all current science and technology loaded. Save a lot of lives and relieve a lot of misery.

10 pounds of medicine and condoms to keep me alive and out of court.

Ryno12
02-25-16, 05:39
The clothes on my back.

An SBR w/ 1000 rounds.

$100,000 in gold to buy as much land as that will get me.

A service manual with a complete set of prints and schematics for the time machine.

The remaining weight allotment will be used for whatever fuel the damn thing takes.

Outlander Systems
02-25-16, 06:03
https://paragraphfilms.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/wanted-someone-to-go-back-in-time-with-me-this-is-not-a-joke-youll-get-paid-after-we-get-back-must-bring-your-own-weapons-i-have-only-done-this-once-before-safety-not-guaranteed-a1.png

Ryno12
02-25-16, 06:57
That's our JSantoro's ad.

:sarcastic:

Eurodriver
02-25-16, 07:03
Glock 19 w/ suppressor, RMR, and 2000 rounds
PVS14 Helmet Mounted
A modern day map, compass, and a copy of the Union Army's battle plans.
Shitload of gold

Because **** you, Sherman.

Crow Hunter
02-25-16, 08:01
Something to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am from the future. Maybe a tablet or a smartphone or something and a method of charging them. A compiled history of the world post 1859.

The addresses and locations of Abraham Lincoln and Sam Davis (and other important political leaders).

Set up a meeting. Show them what is going to happen in the future based on their actions in the present.

Hope and pray that they really are as intelligent as they have been historically portrayed. Who knows, maybe it would be worse....

The rest of it would be scientific data on DNA, atomic theory, antibiotics, rocket propulsion, what causes disease, transistor tech, IC engine etc.

Then sit back and watch as the cold virus that I didn't know I had, that would have just gotten me sick for a couple days, would decimate someone from the past trying to fight off a much more evolved virus, creates the American Flu pandemic that wipes out huge swaths of people that never should have died.

Similar to what happened when time travelers came back in time to prevent Hitler/Germany from winning WWII and accidently caused the Spanish Flu epidemic.

Ya'll knew that was where that came from, right?

(There is an awesome Sci-fi novel pretense in there somewhere...:))

Crow Hunter
02-25-16, 08:03
https://paragraphfilms.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/wanted-someone-to-go-back-in-time-with-me-this-is-not-a-joke-youll-get-paid-after-we-get-back-must-bring-your-own-weapons-i-have-only-done-this-once-before-safety-not-guaranteed-a1.png

They made a movie about that. It was an independent film that was actually a pretty good movie.

Not JSantoro though.

Ryno12
02-25-16, 08:22
They made a movie about that. It was an independent film that was actually a pretty good movie.

Not JSantoro though.

They probably couldn't afford him.

mack7.62
02-25-16, 09:01
For a start:
Period correct gold coins

2 level IIIA body armor
2 Uberti 1858 Remington Steel Frame Black Powder Revolver 44 Caliber Stainless Steel Barrel
4 extra Uberti 1858 Remington Cylinders
Good quality gun belt.
1 Spencer 1860 Carbine good quality repo
Bullet moulds
Selection of good knives

4 book readers loaded with technical, sports, historical info for 1850-1940
4 flashlights with rechargeable batteries
4 loaded ipods
4 solar panels for charging batteries
4 each Hard copy laminated print outs of sports and other betting events, political elections, investments, historical events etc.
All of the above packaged for burying in 4 different boxes.

2 Pair walking/riding boots
Many socks and undies
50 toothbrushes.
Water filter
Water bottles
Waterproof matches
Bic Lighters
Well stocked medical kit
Antibiotic soap, lice shampoo and powder
Camp cookware
Freeze dried food
Sleep system
Coyote brown rucksack

Firefly
02-25-16, 09:02
Glock 19 w/ suppressor, RMR, and 2000 rounds
PVS14 Helmet Mounted
A modern day map, compass, and a copy of the Union Army's battle plans.
Shitload of gold

Because **** you, Sherman.

This.

Koshinn
02-25-16, 09:29
Couple laptops with solar chargers filled with wikipedia and other scientific knowledge and programs.

A color printer/scanner with refills to literally print money. Also so I can distribute some of the knowledge stored in the computer to clever people.

Personal medical supplies, ammo, a suppressed AR, and night vision. I'm going to rely on my range/optic advantage to not get shot, as body armor doesn't stop a cannon.

IMO, a printer with ink and a computer will be worth far more than its weight in gold. You can acquire period-correct paper in the period itself and then turn a few pounds worth of gear into tons of gold. And destroy the economy with inflation but w/e. Gold was $20/oz in 1860, you can easily print out 16 $20 bills in 4-5 pieces of paper. Do that a few times and you've "paid" for your printer/ink weight, and the rest is just more gold. But I have a feeling the knowledge will be worth more. The printer is just to get started.

uffdaphil
02-25-16, 09:29
On second thought, I could do more good with a list of names and addresses of the ancestors of prominent progressive leftists and other assorted under-rock life. Sell modern day goodies to fund a long trek offering a "lead or gold" incentive to great-greats Obama, Pelosi, Stalin, Bloomberg, Kardashian etc. to adopt rather than procreate.

MountainRaven
02-25-16, 09:41
Two world history books, the home addresses of Lee and Lincoln, a laptop with a solar charger and as much medicinal and historical information as I can fit on it. Plus a brace of 1851 Navy repros and a Sharps percussion carbine, two milled AK-47s and a case of ammunition - the AKs and ammo to be delivered to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave c/o Abraham Lincoln the day after his inauguration. And finally a note to Sherman with schematics for a primative flame-thrower and fuel composition, and warning him about Euro's impending assassination attempt, because **** slave-holders and those who would defend them (sorry, Euro).

Koshinn
02-25-16, 10:18
Two world history books, the home addresses of Lee and Lincoln, a laptop with a solar charger and as much medicinal and historical information as I can fit on it. Plus a brace of 1851 Navy repros and a Sharps percussion carbine, two milled AK-47s and a case of ammunition - the AKs and ammo to be delivered to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave c/o Abraham Lincoln the day after his inauguration. And finally a note to Sherman with schematics for a primative flame-thrower and fuel composition, and warning him about Euro's impending assassination attempt, because **** slave-holders and those who would defend them (sorry, Euro).

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/ak47nut/media/AKPHOTOS20/0LEE.jpg.html

But seriously though, everyone here's talking about offing people and here I am trying to jump start the information age by more than a hundred years.

And also, as I mentioned earlier, gold is an extremely inefficient use of weight.

Dist. Expert 26
02-25-16, 10:19
I'd bring my bolt gun, a couple hundred rounds, a good pack with rain gear and navigation equipment, with the rest of the weight dedicated to gold to buy as much land as I possibly can.

I would use my rifle to seriously alter the outcome of the civil war and kill the ancestors of the current ruling class. Once that was finished I would find John Rockefeller and make him my best friend, then come back home and live out my days in the purest form of style.

Firefly
02-25-16, 10:26
....or I mail a copy of Das Kapital to Lincoln and prove everybody wolring the hard way

gunrunner505
02-25-16, 10:28
You can't bring anything. Something about the field generated by a living organism, nothing dead will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koshinn
02-25-16, 10:33
You can't bring anything. Something about the field generated by a living organism, nothing dead will go.

Simple, I'll cover the time machine in moss. Problem solved.

Ryno12
02-25-16, 10:34

But seriously though, everyone here's talking about offing people and here I am trying to jump start the information age by more than a hundred years.

And also, as I mentioned earlier, gold is an inefficient use of weight. Stop bringing gold!

Not everyone. My one & only mission would be to acquire as much land as I possibly could. I would be in & out of there as fast as I could. My SBR would only be for self defense.
...and maybe subtle encouragement for anyone in my way. ;)

Gold might've only been $20/oz back then but land was only $3/ac too, so that'll net me roughly 33,000 acres. That's plenty.

Koshinn
02-25-16, 10:37
Not everyone. My one & only mission would be to acquire as much land as I possibly could. I would be in & out of there as fast as I could. My SBR would only be for self defense.
...and maybe subtle encouragement for anyone in my way. ;)

Gold might've only been $20/oz back then but land was only $3/ac too, so that'll net me roughly 33,000 acres. That's plenty.

No one said anything about coming back. As far as the OP notes, it's a one way trip.

Also, I think 5 lbs of my 85 lb budget would go to my cat. She's small.

JulyAZ
02-25-16, 10:40
Hmm interesting scenario, but why would anyone bring gold? Or any form of currency? Take a history book. Treasures have been lost, and then found. We have maps showing the exact locations. Think back to the future but instead of a sports almanac you get a treasure map. A history book weight a lot less than gold. More room for supplies.

So my list.

SBR w/ ammo

History book. (Or an IPad loaded with all info, solar charger.)

Water filter.

Multiple pairs of good shoes

Antibiotics.

A few lighters

I would have room for some more items so I don't really know what that would be. So I'll end my list here probably more ammo to fill the void.

Firefly
02-25-16, 10:53
.....you know. Let's say this is a one way trip.
Like we can't just drive 88 mph and get back to see the fruits of an empowered South, a disgraced and defeated Sherman, nor carpetbaggers horribly conquered.

Any real change we wouldn't see. In that case.....

I wouldn't participate(still might troll by sending Lincoln Das Kapital) in the Civil War.

I'd probably take enough of whatever currency to live well, move to the middle of nowhere and have two wives. Or hell....France.

I'd be a total beatnik. I'd still tote a Glock or an SBR and reloading gear in case shit got all Hollywood. But no....I'd just be a beatnik wearing sunglasses indoors, laying with a bunch of French girls or Prairie chicks and just taking it easy.

I'd do whatever I could to duck the police or constables andtry to get breakdancing to start sooner.

But look at Terminator 1. If you showed up to a Confederate camp (or Federal if you're one of.......those people) raving about everything they'll either
A. Think you're a spy and kill your ass or you'll be spending the rest of your days in Andersonville or Point Lookout
B. Think you're drunk or crazy
C. Believe that you are a demon and kill you or an alien and kill you.

Flashing an AR or an iPad won't help.

Imagine some dude showing up today with cyberpunk hair amd a robot arm warning us about the impending invasion of Red China or something.

He'd be called a goddamned nerd, beaten up, and laughed at.

So ...it's pointless. Meanwhile them Prairie chicks were fit totally not lez. And I want to be a steampunk beatnik.

Ryno12
02-25-16, 10:57
No one said anything about coming back. As far as the OP notes, it's a one way trip.

I don't see where the OP says that.

I can assure you that my fantasy land time machine will be bringing me back the very second that I left... with a shit ton of land deeds in my hand.

KalashniKEV
02-25-16, 11:08
For a start:
Period correct gold coins

2 level IIIA body armor
2 Uberti 1858 Remington Steel Frame Black Powder Revolver 44 Caliber Stainless Steel Barrel
4 extra Uberti 1858 Remington Cylinders
Good quality gun belt.
1 Spencer 1860 Carbine good quality repo
Bullet moulds
Selection of good knives

4 book readers loaded with technical, sports, historical info for 1850-1940
4 flashlights with rechargeable batteries
4 loaded ipods
4 solar panels for charging batteries
4 each Hard copy laminated print outs of sports and other betting events, political elections, investments, historical events etc.
All of the above packaged for burying in 4 different boxes.

2 Pair walking/riding boots
Many socks and undies
50 toothbrushes.
Water filter
Water bottles
Waterproof matches
Bic Lighters
Well stocked medical kit
Antibiotic soap, lice shampoo and powder
Camp cookware
Freeze dried food
Sleep system
Coyote brown rucksack

That's a lot of stuff.

85 lbs I get?

OK, so I pick .22 LR. .22 Short is already around, plus it gets invented in 12 years.

Ruger 10/22
Whatever the best stock is for mounting accessories. Is it the Zimmerman Arms? I don't even know.
Spectre II suppressor
PEQ-15
Scoutlight M300
50 mags (they're light)
IOTV and ACH
PVS-14

...and the rest in ammo. The shipping weight of 2,000 rounds of .22LR is 9.1 pounds.

I don't need survival crap because I would go full on Iron Borne/ Blood Meridian style.

Do I get to pick the spot too? Because I'm not staying in the US...

Pizzaro 2.0, Cabrones!

Outlander Systems
02-25-16, 11:12
A suppressed pistol, and George Bernard Shaw's home address...

Firefly
02-25-16, 11:18
Actually... I forgot about all them Mayan chicks. Some of them chicks are hot as shit and look like the girl from El Dorado.

I'll still mail, like, Das Kapital to Lincoln and give Euro like moral support. But I like Kevs idea too only I'd be there spreading English and going through as many indigenous South American chicks as I could. I'd have like 5 wives and a 100 girlfriends and I'd get everyone in Brazil to stop speaking Portuguese because Portuguese is annoying as fvck. Like I dig not speaking English but don't be speaking wannabe Spanish that sounds like Spanish but isn't Spanish. That always pissed me off.

But yeah. Still doing the steampunk beatnik deal.

soulezoo
02-25-16, 11:42
The clothes on my back.

An SBR w/ 1000 rounds.

$100,000 in gold to buy as much land as that will get me.

A service manual with a complete set of prints and schematics for the time machine.

The remaining weight allotment will be used for whatever fuel the damn thing takes.

In 1860, that is over 300lbs of gold.

Ryno12
02-25-16, 11:54
In 1860, that is over 300lbs of gold.

I went back in time to change the rules & I was in such a hurry that I forgot to update the OP.

jwfuhrman
02-25-16, 12:18
BCM RECCE-14 topped with Accupoint 1-4 and M4-2000
9 full 30rd mags
1200rds of IMI 5.56x45
My HSP D3 Carrier
G19 and some spare mags and ammo
Laptop loaded with modern day medicine and tech info (including weapons tech) and solar charger
Extra set of jeans and shirts

Find Lincoln and Davis, get them together, how them what America can become if they work together. Rule the world.

KalashniKEV
02-25-16, 13:09
Actually... I forgot about all them Mayan chicks. Some of them chicks are hot as shit and look like the girl from El Dorado.

My throne room would be full of them.

... Like I dig not speaking English but don't be speaking wannabe Spanish that sounds like Spanish but isn't Spanish.

If you get rid of Spanish, you'd lose el sabor.

Actually, I'd probably have everyone speaking spanglish. It would also help to create a cultural seperate-ness between the colonies to the north and the old colonial powers.

But yeah. Still doing the steampunk beatnik deal.

My steez would be Hemingway/Conquistador/Pirate/Indigenous.

Perhaps a heavy emphasis on the Indigenous too, because I think it would help spread my reign, and would seem less tyrannical. We would all practice some Earth Religion too and worship the sun and have fertility rites and solstice festivals. I could probably put my counterinsurgency skills to good use in constructing a benign regime that served the people and would not be strongly opposed.

Also the last slave ship sold it's cargo in 1855, so I'd be too late to stop the slave trade by 4 years, but I would definitely covertly arm American Slaves to rise up and start their own thing in the deep south.

Firefly
02-25-16, 13:50
I have no issues with Spanish or French. It's Portuguese I can't stand. Seriously. It's just the most gross Latin derivative ever. Sorry if anyone here is Brazilian or Portuguese but it's just a gross language. It's like talking to Cooter Jones up in the hills of West Virginia. Yeah you can kinda understand sort of but...ew.

And I'd sooner give the poor slaves tickets to Liberia and arm the Native people. Frankly I feel worse for them than anything slave or indentured servant related.

I'd especially arm all Natives West with the best SPRs possible just to grease as many Buffalo Soldiers as they could.

Needless to say there'd definitely be more indigenous people today.

The official language should be English for both Americas though because I like the F word and English just feels more erudite.

But I am tracking on the Spanglish because I like to hear women curse in Spanish but only if they are hot and don't have a knife.

MountainRaven
02-25-16, 13:54
I ain't trying to start nothing with my list. Trying to avert war, but if it's inevitable, I want it to be over in a hurry. And once it's over, put the US in a position to be ahead of the curve on most every major issue for the next 150 years.

If changing history is out of the picture, I'm grabbing some survival things, my scout rifle and 100 rounds of 308, a robe, a comprehensive history of the West, moving out to Montana and becoming that weird mountain hermit that the aborigines pay for prophecies of the future... That actually come true. Maybe send Custer a letter telling him: A- Take your promise to not make war on the lakota seriously and, B- if you can't do that, don't leave the gatlings behind.

mack7.62
02-25-16, 14:05
You guys wanting to all girl up do realize that personal hygiene was a little different in those days right? And VD was still an issue.

mack7.62
02-25-16, 14:07
I ain't trying to start nothing with my list. Trying to avert war, but if it's inevitable, I want it to be over in a hurry. And once it's over, put the US in a position to be ahead of the curve on most every major issue for the next 150 years.

If changing history is out of the picture, I'm grabbing some survival things, my scout rifle and 100 rounds of 308, a robe, a comprehensive history of the West, moving out to Montana and becoming that weird mountain hermit that the aborigines pay for prophecies of the future... That actually come true. Maybe send Custer a letter telling him: A- Take your promise to not make war on the lakota seriously and, B- if you can't do that, don't leave the gatlings behind.

Changing the past could have major repercussions on the future, and might not be in a good way.

soulezoo
02-25-16, 14:07
I'll bring soap. And Chanel No. 5.

And massengil.

mack7.62
02-25-16, 14:13
I'll bring soap. And Chanel No. 5.

And massengil.

And Penicillin.

Firefly
02-25-16, 14:16
You guys wanting to all girl up do realize that personal hygiene was a little different in those days right?

Some of us don't mind a chick that's half werewolf. Maybe we kinda like it.

At that time though the gene pool wasn't so messed up and most Natives weren't/aren't very hairy.

But otherwise I wouldn't care because back then chicks weren't all stuck up and bougie like now.

Back then if you demanded a woman to fetch water, churn butter, cook, and slop a hog they'd do it with no backsass. Even do it with a smile. Meanwhile you could hunt, fish, hang out, drink, get into pistol duels, form militias, and sleep in a hammock all day and they wouldn't have an attitude because you were doing "guy stuff". As long as they had a Lewis Carroll or Bronchte sisters book they were happy.

I mean look at the BS now....
I can live with a little hirsutism as long as I didn't have to put up with uppityness

Leaveammoforme
02-25-16, 14:18
70 pounds of Dr Pepper and 15 pounds of Copenhagen to make the transition to coffee and tobacco plugs a little easier.

I'd head straight to the patent office and start drawing from memory.

Crow Hunter
02-25-16, 14:18
Actual book with a somewhat similar premise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_the_South

It was a pretty good book. I read it back in college.

Harry Turtledoves alternate history where the South won (not related to this book) and causes WWI and WWII to be fought on American soil is even better but it is a very long series.

Ick
02-25-16, 14:22
Not knowing the situation when arriving means you can't really bring 84 pounds of "period specific" coins. You actually make yourself a target. The best option is to make yourself as incognito as possible.

In addition to taking your brain and ensuring you are fit and well fed before leaving....
1. Period specific clothing.
2. a weapon that is concealable and a few mags, perhaps an AK pistol or something like that that is versatile yet allows you to open up a can of whoop-ass if you have to.
3. enough food/water for a day or so in case you are in a bad situation on arrival.
4. Winter period specific clothes in case you accidentally arrive February 1 in the worst weather imaginable.
5. Knowledge. In the form of BOOKS. I can't see where bringing something electronic works in a long-term plan. With breakage, hostile environment, and an environment that doesn't allow replication of parts/power source.... you are better off with something that is going to last your 50 year life expectancy.
6. A weather proof container to hold the books.

It is just like any other mission, you need to be able to do some recon, stay off everyone's radar until YOU are ready to reveal, and stay flexible. You have to arrive, get set up, enter the social fabric... and spend some time in the period. Otherwise you run the risk of destruction and/or catastrophic failure.

Think of just what is in your brain that you can capitalize on. Farming techniques, understanding of ecosystem, understanding of hydro dynamics, advanced machining, etc. Even if your occupation here is an accountant or something like that... you could be the industry revolutionary in many industries. You just need to survive and integrate. You can't afford to wow the crowd with your magical iPod like some kind of traveling circus act.

You have to arrive, survive, and not end up with a knife in your kidney or being burned like a witch. History tends to show us that society doesn't take new information, new ideas, and revolutionary inventions very well. Just ask the guy that tried to convince the medical community that they should wash their hands between patients.

fledge
02-25-16, 14:34
Taking SBRs in a time machine... As if the ATF will allow that on your 5320!

:ducks out of room:

Seriously, I'd at least pack the most helpful medicines that is reproducible for the period. Hope the time machine doesn't land me on a deserted island or the arctic tundra. Wasted 1.21 gigawatts.

Koshinn
02-25-16, 14:37

Harry Turtledoves alternate history where the South won (not related to this book) and causes WWI and WWII to be fought on American soil is even better but it is a very long series.

I posted a picture of the cover earlier :p

Definitely an interesting book.

AnthonyCumia
02-25-16, 15:43

And also, as I mentioned earlier, gold is an extremely inefficient use of weight.

Well you can do both, infact without them stopping us, we would be on worlds beyond the system by now had they not killed the best of the West.

AnthonyCumia
02-25-16, 15:44

Bullshit, how do you explain the TX1000? Liquid metal and went back.

AnthonyCumia
02-25-16, 15:50
A suppressed pistol, and George Bernard Shaw's home address...

Because of his politics or his books?

AnthonyCumia
02-25-16, 15:54

I loved that book, I also love the book where a guy goes back in time with a stern gun and gives the plans to the South.

MountainRaven
02-25-16, 16:42
Only reason for the AK in my list is because of that book. If I were being practical, it would probably be a Suomi. And expect to see 44 Henry Rimfire subguns fed by magazine tubes before 1865 (in the event of war).

soulezoo
02-25-16, 17:01
Thinking I'll go back with a good set of drawings for a Maxim. In another year, I'll have all the $$$ I need/want.

Of course I'll have my own HoneyBadger and suppressed HK45. NVG's and appropriate IIIa armor are good. Aforementioned ipad with relevant info loaded. Supply of antibiotics. a bag of bic razors.

I'm thinking a .300 winmag precision rifle would be good too. Correct footware (wearing hiking boots and carrying trail runners) and good 3 day pack with hydro bladder and water purifier. Ammo load to round out the 85 lbs.

Moose-Knuckle
02-26-16, 00:14
Two each; Ruger 22/45 Lite with companion SF Ryder 22-S, copious amounts of sub-sonic brain pills, period currency, period clothing, and my list with coordinates of key European bankers, their progeny, and their American agents.

AnthonyCumia
02-26-16, 00:23
Two each; Ruger 22/45 Lite with companion SF Ryder 22-S, copious amounts of sub-sonic brain pills, period currency, period clothing, and my list with coordinates of key European bankers, their progeny, and their American agents.

I...I like the cut of your jib.

Turnkey11
02-26-16, 01:03
Integrally suppressed 10/22 w/Aimpoint T-1
Integrally suppressed Ruger 22/45 w/Aimpoint T-1
Crye Nightcap and PVS-14
Dozen spare batteries for Aimpoints, lithium rechargeable AA's and small folding solar panel for PVS-14
Lots of 22 ammo

Endur
02-26-16, 03:29
- My rucksack
- Glock 19 or 1911 w/ four mags, light, 250 rnds (suppressed)
- AR w/ 8 mags, 600 rnds, light, sling, Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4x20 (suppressed)
- NVG's w/ FAST helmet
- Medical supplies + pocket book on common illnesses and disease of that era
- Water filter & purification supplies
- My battle belt to carry pistol etc.
- Pair of summer & winter boots
- Clothes including cold weather
- Hunting, trapping, tracking, survival pocket books
- Small supply of calorie/nutrient dense food/snacks
- Water
- Concealable IIIA armor
- Some type of history book, almanac, whatever of that era

And finally for blending..

- Colt SAA subdued black & converted to DA if possible (yes not around in 1859 yet but the technology was there, a little budge wouldn't hurt)
- Custom subdued black & aged bark brown leather holster & belt w/ boots to match
- And just for the hell of it, a Raylan Givens stetson, HA!

Mission? Old west robin hood + set things in place for future family.

MountainRaven
02-26-16, 08:42
Endur,

Double-action revolvers did exist in 1859, but the Colt SAA would be another decade and a half in the making - ditto the centerfire metallic self-contained cartridge. And there is no way to convert a single-action revolver to double-action. And the double-action revolvers that did exist sucked, which is why the single-action dominated defensive and fighting handguns until the 1890s.

Endur
02-26-16, 09:33
Endur,

Double-action revolvers did exist in 1859, but the Colt SAA would be another decade and a half in the making - ditto the centerfire metallic self-contained cartridge. And there is no way to convert a single-action revolver to double-action. And the double-action revolvers that did exist sucked, which is why the single-action dominated defensive and fighting handguns until the 1890s.

I know but I was using my imagination! Haha. Those DA lightnings were ugly as h*ll.

Spiffums
02-26-16, 10:20
15 pounds of Bic pen refils to get rich quick. Down time tech can make the bodies.

20 pounds of large rifle primers. Down time can make the cases, powder and bullets. Might take a while to ramp up primer production. Shorten the Civil War.

40 pounds of computer tech (with solar chargers) with virtually all current science and technology loaded. Save a lot of lives and relieve a lot of misery.

10 pounds of medicine and condoms to keep me alive and out of court.

Or just speed up the clock to Nuclear war. The World Wars would probably have happened but everyone would have had nukes at the same time.

AnthonyCumia
02-26-16, 16:30
Or just speed up the clock to Nuclear war. The World Wars would probably have happened but everyone would have had nukes at the same time.

Or you do not put Wilson in office or history is changed as the civil war never happened.

SteyrAUG
02-27-16, 02:07
I would bring some authentic Mormon Gold Plates and expose Joseph Smith as the pathetic false prophet he is. Wait till these guys here the true story about Xenu and their trapped thetans. I would take six fit young brides to tend to me daily needs.

AnthonyCumia
02-27-16, 19:25
I would bring some authentic Mormon Gold Plates and expose Joseph Smith as the pathetic false prophet he is. Wait till these guys here the true story about Xenu and their trapped thetans. I would take six fit young brides to tend to me daily needs.

LOL....Xenu.

So how would you change the past?

SteyrAUG
02-27-16, 20:08
LOL....Xenu.

So how would you change the past?

I wouldn't change too much beyond becoming an important founding figure in the "new" Mormon Church. Obviously L. Ron Hubbard would get completely hijacked before he was even born so he'd need a new bullshit story to sell.

But with six, young and fit brides these things aren't my problem.

misanthropist
02-27-16, 20:21
Simple solar rig, couple of tablets with a whole lot of patent and historical info, a 9mm 1911 and a couple of boxes of ammo just in case, and maybe a bunch of porn. Might as well shape the development of the western world into something I'd actually enjoy. Also I could totally convince people that the porn was just regular life in my time period, which would be hilarious.

I guess also penicillin might be good to have. Or maybe sulfa drugs, they last pretty well.

Possibly also the Trudeau family tree.

Firefly
02-27-16, 20:59
Possibly also the Trudeau family tree.

I hate Doonesbury too!
:)

misanthropist
02-27-16, 21:40
See, the entire clan is just a plague.

elephant
02-28-16, 03:18
I would fabricate the biggest lie:

I would show up at some town dressed in my Museum quality Apollo era replica space suit and tell all the town folk that I am a space cadet from the Planet Mars. I would pull out my IPad and show them the opening scene of Transformers, Dark side of the moon and tell them that what they are seeing really happened and I came to earth to seek refuge after our planet was destroyed. I would wear Oakley's and I would carry with me a laser barcode scanner with my FLIR thermal imager and tell people it is a Martian life form identification device. I would have bags and bags of Skittles and Nerds and tell people: that is what "our" crops produce on Mars. I would pull out a small drone and send it flying and tell the towns people that it is surveying there Planet and will keep them safe. I would give out a few hand crank flash lights, glow sticks and some basic medicine, machine tool information, prints and engineering documents on internal combustion engine, light bulb, telephone, self loading rifle etc.. I would sit in the saloon with all the local women and tell about the war and them tell them my stories of heroism, valor, death defying acts of selfless courage to rescue and save the Princess. I would probably spend the rest of my time in 1859 getting laid and going around the country to telling my story.

Moose-Knuckle
02-28-16, 03:25

I would show up at some town dressed in my Museum quality Apollo era replica space suit and tell all the town folk that I am a space cadet from the Planet Mars. I would pull out my IPad and show them the opening scene of Transformers, Dark side of the moon and tell them that what they are seeing really happened and I came to earth to seek refuge after our planet was destroyed. I would wear Oakley's and I would carry with me a laser barcode scanner with my FLIR thermal imager and tell people it is a Martian life form identification device. I would have bags and bags of Skittles and Nerds and tell people: that is what "our" crops produce on Mars. I would pull out a small drone and send it flying and tell the towns people that it is surveying there Planet and will keep them safe. I would give out a few hand crank flash lights, glow sticks and some basic medicine, machine tool information, prints and engineering documents on internal combustion engine, light bulb, telephone, self loading rifle etc.. I would sit in the saloon with all the local women and tell about the war and them tell them my stories of heroism, valor, death defying acts of selfless courage to rescue and save the Princess. I would probably spend the rest of my time in 1859 getting laid and going around the country to telling my story.

After they dragged you out into the street and hanged you someone would take a tintype photograph of your corspe that would be aired on Ancient Aliens sometime in the 21st Century by the History Channel.

elephant
02-28-16, 03:38
After they dragged you out into the street and hanged you someone would take a tintype photograph of your corspe that would be aired on Ancient Aliens sometime in the 21st Century by the History Channel.

Hopefully not! I would introduce my self as a peaceful Martian that spent months learning there local language and customs in hopes of befriending them and swear to protect them. I would study before about what happened in 1859 and I would give advice that was days or weeks ahead so they would assume that I had a vast knowledge of the future. People from all across the land would come to me bringing forth offerings of gold, silver, peyote and an astonishing amount of virgins.

AnthonyCumia
02-28-16, 03:44

LOL. I wonder what would happen if I went to the 50s and showed them Transformers and told them "based on a true story".

JoshNC
02-28-16, 13:20
Don't forget detailed instructions for producing antibiotics such as penicillin G, clindamycin, bactrim, and a few others. Lots and lots of suture, surgical instruments, full Med/Surg/trauma kit.