PDA

View Full Version : PPS

Abraxas
08-17-08, 20:26
What does anyone know about the Walther PPS?

Parabellum9x19mm
08-17-08, 20:40
i love mine.

brminpin
08-17-08, 21:59
Got to handle a .40 the other day and it felt pretty good. I compared it next to a Kel-Tec PF-9 and was pretty comparable in size when the short magazine was in place. It's just a bit longer since the slide extends a bit further back from the top of the grip. I'm currently waiting on mine to come in (9mm). I plan to use it as my primary summer carry. It hides nicely even under just a t-shirt.

trio
08-17-08, 22:59
i have one...it is my wife's primary carry gun...we have about 600 rounds through ours with only 2 failures, and that was with the old "flying ashtray" hollowpoints I keep for at the end of a range session to "torture" a gun when it is dirty to try and make it fail...

it is a fantastic little gun...I initially had 2, thinking I would carry one as well...but I carry my maxpedition bag pretty much everywhere I go, which means I just carry my G17...and even if I chose to go IWB, i am big enough (6'6, 300 lbs) I can conceal my P7 or a G17 if I want to

YVK
08-17-08, 23:31
I am thinking of replacing my HK P7M8 with it, so I've been researching it, and handled a couple of samples, but not fired one yet.

It is very slim and will be easy to carry. Most people who own one like it a lot. The trigger is decent on dry-fire. The mag release is located at the base of trigger guard, a'la HK. I actually like this setup, but one on PPS is quite small and stiff. It is supposed to be released with trigger finger, and I couldn't do it, partly due to stiffness, and partly due to grip ergos. Mag release is reported to get smoother with use, and some users say that they release it with their middle finger instead.

The early samples had issues with slide locking back in such a way that guns had to be sent to factory. Recent guns are supposedly "cured" from it.

That's all I know.

Nimslow
08-18-08, 09:43
I recently had the chance to shoot my friends PPS side by side with my Kahr PM9.

The PPS is slightly thinner, but it feels better in my hands. I also thought the trigger on the PPS was better.

The PM9 was slightly more accurate, but this may be because I've shot the Kahr more, and the PPS was brand new.

We put about 150 rounds thru each gun, no malfunctions with either.

I'll second the comments about the magazine release. It's small and really stiff. I shoot HK's alot, and I prefer that style of magazine release, but the one on the PPS didn't really work well for me.

My friends was a first run, and he tells me the "marble" finish is now starting to come off in places.

All that being said, I'm seriously considering replacing my PM9 with a PPS for summer carry.

Benthic
08-18-08, 10:39
We've got one and, like an earlier poster, it is my wife's primary carry weapon. It's the 9mm version and she loves it. It's nice and slim and disappears easily on her 5'2" frame. The recoil is very mild and so far she's had great luck with it. We'll be taking LFI 1 in November. That will be a true test of how she likes it.

Brian

TroyTK
08-18-08, 11:58
Mine has been very reliable and a pleasure to shoot. I love it.

There are two downsides for now with it though: extra magazines are hard to find and very expensive, and there are not many holsters that are available for it. Hopefully Raven will be offering one soon!

Littlelebowski
08-18-08, 12:04
I have one and like it a lot. Just disappears when carrying yet it's comfortable to shoot. Needs night sights though. The mag release works very well for me. Spare mags are $60 a piece :(

YVK
08-18-08, 12:29
. The mag release works very well for me

Which finger do you use to release the mag, if you don't mind me asking?

Spade
08-18-08, 12:35
Abraxas, it's the biggest hunk of crap you'll buy......Nah I have no idea about them. Just thought I would get your heart rate up.

Littlelebowski
08-18-08, 13:19
Which finger do you use to release the mag, if you don't mind me asking?

Middle finger, sweeping downwards.

trio
08-18-08, 16:00
i also use my middle finger, strong side, to drop the trigger....i have big meat hands and find this is pretty easy....

i have 6, 7 and 8 round mags for it...they can be found on the internet relatively easily, but do cost ~ $50

also, just FYI, i had a Milt Sparks VM2 for a G26 that I carried the PPS in, and it fit like a glove...you would think the holster was made for the gun...

when i sold our "second" PPS to a friend of mine, i sold him the VM2 with it, and that is how he carries it now

Parabellum9x19mm
08-18-08, 19:39
mags are expensive, i didn't see them at $60, but my spare 7 and 8 rounders were like $47. at www.buywaltherpps.com of course that place is out of stock on everything but .40 now :(

$60 for 50 round P90 mags is bad enough, but $60 for a little 7 or 8 round singe stack mag? i think i'll wait for prices to come back to a reasonable level before i buy more mags again.

sucks buying european guns when the us dollar is so weak against the euro.

i'm also curious about trying the .40 PPS, but not curious enough to drop the money on it yet.

Abraxas
08-19-08, 19:49
Thanks for all of the replys. Though I am curious about the complaints on the mag release. The comments seem to be that it is too small, but on the one that I got to mess with the mag release ran around a full 2/3 of the bottom of the triggerguard. That too me is not small. Is this not common or does the reference to the size mean the thickness? ( ya that is what she said:D)

Parabellum9x19mm
08-19-08, 20:20
the mag release itself is big, but the areas that you actually have to manipulate with your finger is quite small.

i'm not a huge fan of the new style euro mag release. i use my middle finger to drop the mag. yeah, it does make the controls cleaner, but it is slower and forces me to adjust my firing grip. its not ideal, but it works. at least you know your mag wont release unexpectedly in a holster.

another thing about the PPS. it takes a while for the slide stop to break in....you have to sling-shot it at first. after a few hundred rounds the slide release is much less stiff and works perfectly.