PDA

View Full Version : Truck/House Gun/Beater; Flashlight Mount

jeffk14
02-25-16, 15:23
Alright, I'm cheap, O.K.? I have this (it was my first) AR that I bought used about 8 years ago. It came with the carry handle and a cheap Chinese scope and mount atop of that. I removed the scope and mount when I got the rifle and threw them in a drawer. I wanted to mount a light on the CHEAP, so this is what I cobbled up for FREE from stuff I had laying around, including a surprisingly bright Walmart LED flashlight. I searched the innerwebs and could not find anywhere that anybody had taken this approach (maybe there's a reason).

Keeping in mind that this is not my only AR and that I'm not going for the "ultimate setup" for this daily beater, whadda y'all think? https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xxN_3vTkzUsPXK02TtqsIlAn2BGEPUIf87crmClaolPDvDU88SWSP-DIQnz7H681n7cOJ4bddtc7osLVE-mlTPtaZXGhCVJDmJIdqyr-5VaybuKrqfU-YOvEZKjfjVKI1-n6OxjXIw9baEVOh5mj3t6nlhPROUS_-4GvpNWL2P7_K18Tqt5hpQ74Zb5nHT9thug8amfrAreQo5_vsOwF2KwHVdnFrelC6dGyYiHXk6aZ4EXENVTjGuynMVvwrZUe0gQrsMkABdLI77pz9qbBZFRVQ2KaB3BdBd2cEZ3Tu-9DzGv8l-wieaAXCuNt0UECEYTWQvsD4dJX-3am4_rrSw5y3z-LN0LuDKtGpr7Fk9m7W-HJSP8NFNcv4heuQJmOVEVvp1liOURq8401a7vdd2mlfkOo7H5KYBvByk9G-NOsfV-Oehe14qr8phj_LJv9J31BctPLZV8TVM1-gcVazMHW0FEYoqFMfp3qggzjYLxKlqtjYSovMBlVf29fAt4566u-jSyysjIAxpVa84-yDdffPKXJFEDUn41gY8n_JvL0ar9xq0kAC5nzrO5wDFoHzdt9=w545-h969-no

zackmars
02-25-16, 15:27
i think id rather be able to use the sights

jeffk14
02-25-16, 15:28
i think id rather be able to use the sights

Sights are quire usable. The mount is slotted through the middle.

Uprange41
02-25-16, 15:44
Photo isn't showing up.

kest_01
02-25-16, 15:49
No photo for me

jeffk14
02-25-16, 15:56
No photo for me

kest_01
02-25-16, 16:03
Dude, you're gonna get a lot of shadow from the carbine with it mounted that far back. Also how is it activated? That setup seems less than ideal all around. What's the diameter of that light? I get you not wanted to spend a bunch of money, but you can get a VTAC mount for like 25 dollars.

MegademiC
02-25-16, 16:07
I used to have a light in a shotgun tube support hooked to the barrel.

Uprange41
02-25-16, 16:19

What is your intended use for the light?

Inkslinger
02-25-16, 16:25
Looks like a whole lot of stuff to obscure your view.

jeffk14
02-25-16, 17:11
What is your intended use for the light?
Um... lessee; to see stuff in the dark???

jeffk14
02-25-16, 17:15
Looks like a whole lot of stuff to obscure your view.

Yeah, it kinda is but as I said, this is a "cheap" project, made from what I had on hand.

SteveL
02-25-16, 17:21
IMO you'd be better served by buying a proper mount and moving the light out toward the front of the rifle. IWC makes several options designed to interface directly with your Magpul MOE handguards.

jeffk14
02-25-16, 17:25
IMO you'd be better served by buying a proper mount and moving the light out toward the front of the rifle. IWC makes several options designed to interface directly with your Magpul MOE handguards.

Thanks. I will look into those.

Fatorangecat
02-25-16, 19:52
I would rather go without a light than have something cobbled together

Scrubber3
02-25-16, 20:22
Do you have a head mounted light? Just keep it beside your rifle. It would be better than your current setup.

I think. ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JulyAZ
02-25-16, 20:27
Trying to make a light mount with what you already have is worth a try.

I don't think that what he came up with is the right answer though.

Here's a cheap fix for what you want. (I hope I'm correct in assuming you have a FSB based off the rest of your rifle.)

http://www.amazon.com/Elzetta-ZFH1500B-Tactical-Flashlight-Holder/dp/B004LMEBC6

Kain
02-25-16, 20:44
For cheap, beater, light set up I would look at spending a little bit more. I mean, I understand it is a beater, but I would want it to work, and anything in the light department at Walmart I would be leery of unless they have started carrying Surefire or Streamlight or their ilk, I know the ones around me don't seem to do so. I've sooner duck tape an old Surefire G2 to the foreend than try running that set up. And that is just my concern about the light, the mount is more of less useless for the way I would be looking at running a weapon light.

My advice would be to look at picking up a Surefire G2X, maybe a Streamlight handheld(A Poly tac is about $35), and I am sure there are others that others here could help recommend, that could work better for a weapon light mounted on an AR. My main concern would be durability, even with as light as the recoil is from a 5.56, if it is a beater in a truck I expect it to take it's knocks and for that I don't trust a random walmart light to survive. I too would check out IWC, have used their mounts and they are solid, magpul might have options that would interface easily as well, and if it is an older MOE before their went MLOK you could perhaps find a deal. Check the EE as well, you might find a mount that will interface cheap there too.

t15
02-25-16, 21:52
Hockey tape to the handguard

Tzook
02-25-16, 22:49
This isn't the dumbest thing I've seen on a gun forum, but goddamn it's up there. Just tape the shit to the hand guard or something, or use a scope ring connected to your handguard.

RAM Engineer
02-25-16, 23:56
Duct tape would be both smarter and more battle proven than this.

JC5188
02-26-16, 06:07
Get the scope top rings that have pic rails, add an eotech and it would be tits...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uprange41
02-26-16, 06:25
This isn't the dumbest thing I've seen on a gun forum, but goddamn it's up there. Just tape the shit to the hand guard or something, or use a scope ring connected to your handguard.

Yup.

wetidlerjr
02-26-16, 06:41

I have to agree but I like this thread as it makes me appear to be so much more intelligent. :laugh:

jeffk14
02-26-16, 06:44

Aw now, I don't know about all that. It may not be cool looking or anything but it DOES work and I can still use my iron sights just fine.

FWIW, this was only intended to be a little experiment, just using stuff that I had laying around the house.

JC5188
02-26-16, 07:01
Aw now, I don't know about all that. It may not be cool looking or anything but it DOES work and I can still use my iron sights just fine.

FWIW, this was only intended to be a little experiment, just using stuff that I had laying around the house.

Lol...you're "good natured" about it anyway, as my grandmother would've said.

jeffk14
02-26-16, 07:29
Lol...you're "good natured" about it anyway, as my grandmother would've said.

Well, I may be new on this site, but I've been knocking around on internet gunboards since the 1990's and at 55 years old, I usually don't get too stirred up any more. Even when folks who obviously know nothing about me, my background or my level of intelligence make less than flattering comments. Hell, I was around before the most infamous troll of gunboard history came onto the scene many years ago. Anybody remember "gunkid". I think he got locked up or something several years ago, but I digress.

Averageman
02-26-16, 07:51

I've used a scope ring more than once. For some reason I have a few orphans in a box and WTF else can you do with them?

JC5188
02-26-16, 08:16
Well, I may be new on this site, but I've been knocking around on internet gunboards since the 1990's and at 55 years old, I usually don't get too stirred up any more. Even when folks who obviously know nothing about me, my background or my level of intelligence make less than flattering comments. Hell, I was around before the most infamous troll of gunboard history came onto the scene many years ago. Anybody remember "gunkid". I think he got locked up or something several years ago, but I digress.

I'm more of a Gecko45 man, myself. :)

ace4059
02-26-16, 10:02
This isn't the dumbest thing I've seen on a gun forum, but goddamn it's up there...

Perfect sig line material right there.

jeffk14
02-26-16, 10:06
I'm more of a Gecko45 man, myself. :)

Ah, I remember him too, although IIRC, Gecko45 was more than likely a deliberate, humorous troll of the mall ninja variety, whereas gunkid was a certifiable, bona fide idiot.

jackblack73
02-26-16, 11:35

I wouldn't really say that works. It does provide light, but you can't easily manipulate the light (I wouldn't want to just leave it on), it casts a huge shadow, and it obstructs your field of view. As others have said you can buy a mount for about $20. I also agree that duct taping the light to your handguard is better than what you're doing.

wetidlerjr
02-26-16, 14:08

And this thread ups your "creds" in what way?

jeffk14
02-26-16, 14:20
And this thread ups your "creds" in what way?

It doesn't. I'm waaay too far along in my life to care about "creds". I'm just a guy, who during a spell of boredom, tried something different from some spare stuff I had laying around and I decided to share a picture of it on here.

The post of mine that you quoted, if you'll put it into context, was in answer to another poster's comment that I seemed to be good natured towards some of the less than positive comments. I was only attempting to demonstrate that I've been poking around on the internet for a long time, have seen how these online forums work and that I'm not insulted or "offended" easily.

jeffk14
02-26-16, 14:23

Even though it was aimed at me, I STILL thought it was pretty funny...

Mechan1c
02-26-16, 19:19
Well played Jeff...

Scrubber3
02-26-16, 19:22
Seriously, Jeff. .. you're a cool dude. Kudos for working with what you've got.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TaterTot
02-26-16, 20:23
I'd run it for a beater backyard gun, maybe coyote hunting at night, not for anything serious though.

Sent from my old crappy phone

strambo
02-28-16, 11:26
What do you mean by "it works"? For me, "it works" would mean I can run the light strong or weak hand shooting on the move and from cover in high stress dynamic shooting drills. Ymmv based on what you are trying to accomplish and why.

Tbat
03-01-16, 11:24
Duct tape or zip tie to the forearm, if you want cheap and practical as others have pointed out. Otherwise you have what looks to be a magpul forearm, so skip a few happy meals, cigarettes, beers or other vice of your choice and save up to get some cheap magpul furniture to work with your forearm.

Tzook
03-01-16, 21:36

Please, use it. It makes me look witty