PDA

View Full Version : My grip .. Glock 17

bushwacked
02-25-16, 20:15
I have bigger hands and I feel my fingers are just all over the place. I have been thinking about switching to a different grip to get more power on the gun to slow recoil. I was screwing around the other day and found the grip below to be pretty comfy and still give me lots of control.

Is there much wrong with it? I feel more hand space on the gun the better. Is that not true?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160226/c8fad7d305bf0b74d86b24a47fe75ca4.jpg

My thumbs are there but not much pressure from them. They just kind of sit on each other. The main switch is my finger around the front.

samuse
02-25-16, 20:18
Your support hand hooked over the trigger guard is fighting itself. It wants to pull the hand away from the grip while your trying to pull your hand into the grip.

Uncross your thumbs, lay the strong one along the slide, the other one right under it.

bushwacked
02-25-16, 20:24
ok so I should not put my finger up on the trigger guard? ... or I could if I fix my grip a little with the right hand thumb along the slide and the left hand thumb under it then I could use this?

Kenneth
02-25-16, 20:28
http://youtu.be/tMzQIHN-LiI

I know people with really large hand and they all use this grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bushwacked
02-25-16, 20:33

oh wow ... that is more like it!!

Thanks for the link Kenneth

brickboy240
02-26-16, 07:56
If my hands were that big, I'd skip the mid-sized Glocks and carry a G21.

...seriously

bushwacked
02-26-16, 08:09

...seriously

I looked at it, but I didnt think there was much of a difference

Overall Length
8.03 in.
8.23 in.

they both fit me about the same so I just went with the 17 to save some money on ammo while I mess around with Glocks.

seedubs1
02-26-16, 08:34
This is the grip I use. I hadn't seen this video before, but it's the same I use. Provides a lot of control over the gun. Give it a try.

MegademiC
02-26-16, 12:29
Op, no offense but that grip is poor.

The magpul vid is good, as well as the todd jerret vid.

Dave sevigny has a vid out and Bob Vogel has a great vid as well. Try to emulate these grips and see which works best for you for groups/time.

Your strong hand should be higher, thumb foreward, and above the support hand but against the gun.

Support hand palm should fill the void on the grip, thumb foreward and just below the strong hand thumb. You want to get as high as possible and maximize contact. Both hands should be squeezing the sides of the grip. Support index should be under the trigger guard to support the gun. It does nothing useful being in front of it.

The gun also looks like it's pointed out too far in strong hand. Thith fingers pointed straight, the gun should be in line with forearm and then fingers wrapped around.

kenny256
02-26-16, 13:25
I use the one on the video. It works great, I never have control issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ColdGOOSE1974
02-27-16, 19:18

...seriously

Or get full sized mags with extenders so you still have the concealed option

davidz71
02-27-16, 19:30
One of the things we see on our range with the OP's finger in front of the trigger guard is a tendency to push the pistol to the right. When I see it I try to discourage it.

MegademiC
02-28-16, 20:49
Op, some more thoughts. Once you get the hand placement down, the torque you put on the gun is the next step.

Placement will cause the gun to kick up and rest back on target.

Strength and torque will lessen the amount of muzzle rise and make sight tracking easier.

I feel like I'm pointing with my thumbs. This induces pressure against the backstrap with the Web of my thumb. It also causes my smallest 2 fingers to pull the bottom of the grip straight back into my palm.

Weakhand: squeeze hard side to side like I'm pinching the gun sides between my fingers and palm, and torque foreward (again pointing with thumb). Again this causes the smallest fingers to torque the bottom of the grip into the stronghand palm.

Then I use my chest to squeeze both arms together increasing pressure on both sides of gun equally, which keeps sight centered and recoil in line. Keep the elbow bent and relaxed as much as possible, shoulders slightly foreward. Shoulders and elbows will act like shocks. Combined with the grip, the muzzle will move very little, the gun will recoil back and with practice tracking the sights will become very easy.

It will take a bit of dry fire to get the feel down. I suggest just gripping the gun and think about how it's going to move to try to get a decent grip down, then test it live fire. I switched grips a few times before really getting it solid. Slow motion video helps a LOT, I phones, Galaxy s5 or better and gopro all are capable of 120 fps or more which is enough frame rate to slow down in QuickTime and analyze the recoil.

bushwacked
02-29-16, 09:07
Op, some more thoughts. Once you get the hand placement down, the torque you put on the gun is the next step.

Placement will cause the gun to kick up and rest back on target.

Strength and torque will lessen the amount of muzzle rise and make sight tracking easier.

I feel like I'm pointing with my thumbs. This induces pressure against the backstrap with the Web of my thumb. It also causes my smallest 2 fingers to pull the bottom of the grip straight back into my palm.

Weakhand: squeeze hard side to side like I'm pinching the gun sides between my fingers and palm, and torque foreward (again pointing with thumb). Again this causes the smallest fingers to torque the bottom of the grip into the stronghand palm.

Then I use my chest to squeeze both arms together increasing pressure on both sides of gun equally, which keeps sight centered and recoil in line. Keep the elbow bent and relaxed as much as possible, shoulders slightly foreward. Shoulders and elbows will act like shocks. Combined with the grip, the muzzle will move very little, the gun will recoil back and with practice tracking the sights will become very easy.

It will take a bit of dry fire to get the feel down. I suggest just gripping the gun and think about how it's going to move to try to get a decent grip down, then test it live fire. I switched grips a few times before really getting it solid. Slow motion video helps a LOT, I phones, Galaxy s5 or better and gopro all are capable of 120 fps or more which is enough frame rate to slow down in QuickTime and analyze the recoil.

thanks for the great info, i appreciate it!

I will work on my dry fire testing and range work this week ... will report back on how it goes.

MegademiC
02-29-16, 13:33
Bob vogal explains the stronghand grip vs "monkey with a hammer" better than any ive seen, and really helps to get high on the gun, and get the stronghand thumb where it should be. Just be aware of slide bite with that glock. I shoot an mp and everytime I shoot glocks, I get abrasions, which is fine, but you don't want to over do it and take a chunk out first shot of the range trip, haha.