PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR 556 Takedown (New)

BuzzinSATX
02-25-16, 20:33
I know there isn't much love here for Ruger AR's or most piston AR's, but I thought this was a very interesting concept. And with a second barrel in 300 BO, you can have one gun, capable of shooting either 5.56 or 300BO with a simple, 30 second barrel and mag change.

Some things that I thought were neat were the front sight having windage and elevation, and the improved trigger from the factory.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556TD/models.html

Check out the video at the bottom of the page.

Tzook
02-25-16, 20:35
Hmm, very interesting. If they can have good QC with it they'll certainly sell rifles.

JulyAZ
02-25-16, 20:37
I thought all ARs were already takedowns....

SBR it and no need to remove the barrel.

I also don't understand the A1 rear Aperture on a folding sight. It keeps the sight from sitting flush. See the video in the link to see what I mean.

I wouldn't mind having that case though.

wildcard600
02-25-16, 20:39
Interesting, but i would rather have the rail come off with the barrel for a true "takedown" style that could fit in a backpack a little easier than simply taking an upper off a lower.

I don't really see the need for quick change barrel option on an AR since you can simply swap uppers in a few seconds and a complete upper isn't much more than just a barrel assembly.

Each his own i guess.

JulyAZ
02-25-16, 20:44
Deleted

Tzook
02-25-16, 21:01
Interesting, but i would rather have the rail come off with the barrel for a true "takedown" style that could fit in a backpack a little easier than simply taking an upper off a lower.

I don't really see the need for quick change barrel option on an AR since you can simply swap uppers in a few seconds and a complete upper isn't much more than just a barrel assembly. Each his own i guess.

How much money do you think they poured into this project before they realized that AR's were already pretty much quick change? lol

DreadPirateMoyer
02-25-16, 21:26
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?171038-Ruger-Piston-300BLK

wildcard600
02-25-16, 21:28
How much money do you think they poured into this project before they realized that AR's were already pretty much quick change? lol

I'm not convinced they know even now that AR uppers are quick change... lol

The only AR this design would be useful on is if the lower were beltfed.

Tzook
02-25-16, 21:47
I'm not convinced they know even now that AR uppers are quick change... lol

The only AR this design would be useful on is if the lower were beltfed.

Welllllll when you figure out how to make that happen, I will absolutely buy at least two from you.

wildcard600
02-25-16, 22:02
Welllllll when you figure out how to make that happen, I will absolutely buy at least two from you.

Can't help you there but Valkyrie Armament does belt-fed AR conversions for $3599.00 ;)

PrivateCitizen
02-25-16, 23:42
$2200 MSRP plus $450 MSRP for a replacement (proprietary system) barrel?

That is almost 2 dedicated rifles, even at street prices.

No thanks.

Plumber576
02-26-16, 01:32
Although I don't like the handguard I would think that the Huntertown DOLOS is more of what I'd like to see from a takedown system, where the barrel and handguard together detach from the upper.

https://youtu.be/5cuJXyV29MU