PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Heroin

Outlander Systems
02-26-16, 18:59
WTF, Over?

So apparently, Atlanta, specifically the northern, affluent suburbs, has a heroin problem.

It's kind of like a triangle," one of the documentary's producers explained. "It starts just north of Atlanta, and it stretches from Marietta, up to Alpharetta and down to Johns Creek and Sandy Springs. It kind of stretches in parts of Fulton and Cobb County. And This is where we are seeing the biggest uptick in suburban heroin drug use."

The triangle doesn't mark the highest numbers of heroin overdoses, those have consistently been in the Bluffs area of Atlanta. Instead, it highlights the alarming rate of growth.

Cobb County Assistant District Attorney Jason Saliba puts it simply: "In 2014 we had 26 homicides and 53 heroin overdoses in Cobb County."

Above from: http://www.11alive.com/longform/news/2016/02/25/inside-triangle/80756752/

One of the local news channels ran a 20 minute documentary on it. They also set up a website called:

www.herointriangle.com

So, anecdotal account, but my in laws live in an affluent suburb of ATL, and a while back informed my wife and I that a girl died from a heroin OD in their subdivision. Knowing where they live, it almost seemed like they were bullshitting. I always associated that with inner city junkies and, quite frankly, residents of "The Bluffs." The Bluffs, for those of you unfamiliar with Atlanta, is essentially the world's largest open-air opium den.

So, is the heroin shit a nationwide thing? I'm an old Tennessee Hillbilly, whose idea of hard drugs is a "fat ass" pinch of Skoal and a cigarette. I grew up in a place where I could get a handful of Chick-O-Sticks and a Souse meat sammich; and where the teachers paddled the kids. The idea that rich suburbanites are rolling outta bed sayin, "Hey Skylar, let's go do us some dragon-chasing today" just blows my dome-piece.

The part of Atlanta where this is becoming a "thing" is the white-breadiest, picket-fenciest, give-little-Kyle-a-BMW M5-at-sixteeniest part of the entire state of Georgia. Sandy Springs is about as close to Beverly Hills as you can get down here.

I mean, I know meth got really bad a while back, but I never would've thought the suburban silver spoon set would be taking up heroin for shits-n-giggles.

Slater
02-26-16, 19:06
Outlander, I'm originally from Pulaski, TN. Ever heard of it?

Outlander Systems
02-26-16, 19:13
I have but I don't remember it very well.

I'm straight Leiper's Fork, representin'. And not that fagotty, kale-munching Leiper's Fork that it's turned into.

http://nashvillepremierehomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Leipers-Fork-Main-Photo.jpg

Heaven.

I'd move back in heartbeat...if I won the Lottery.

Outlander, I'm originally from Pulaski, TN. Ever heard of it?

PatrioticDisorder
02-26-16, 19:15
Heroin use has been on the rise ever since the DEA started cracking down on "pill mills" several years ago. Opioid addiction is complicated and there are several ways through which people develop a use disorder. Heroin use had been on a decline due to the availability of cheap opioid pills (because of pill mills), now that opioid pills are not as abundant the price has gone up, the price of heroin remains cheap so many people who never imagined they'd use heroin are using heroin. Not every user injects, some snort and yes it is a nationwide problem, but a little bigger problem on the east coast vs. west coast.

Airhasz
02-26-16, 19:16
Glad it wasnt in my high school.:)

Outlander Systems
02-26-16, 19:21
Roger that.

I figured there had to be "something" pushing the growth (nothing happens in a vacuum). There were signs all over for "pain clinics" and the like a few years back, but haven't seen them in a pretty good while.

Heroin use has been on the rise ever since the DEA started cracking down on "pill mills" several years ago. Opioid addiction is complicated and there are several ways through which people develop a use disorder. Heroin use had been on a decline due to the availability of cheap opioid pills (because of pill mills), now that opioid pills are not as abundant the price has gone up, the price of heroin remains cheap so many people who never imagined they'd use heroin are using heroin. Not every user injects, some snort and yes it is a nationwide problem, but a little bigger problem on the east coast vs. west coast.

devildogljb
02-26-16, 19:25
Its all over doesn't matter where you live. Its a big time problem where I'm at and its far from a big town. A lot of woods... But family's move here from the city thinking their kids/family wont be involved in the drugs and crime any more. Break in's are thorough the roof here. But ive seen the strongest people fall to this crap. My younger brother being one of them (but far from strong willed high school drop out convicted felon etc) He went to smoking weed to pain killers to heroin. Caught him hitting my mom while high one night. It is truly a very big problem in this country but cretin people are more worried about global warming.

Vandal
02-26-16, 19:30
Heroin is a major problem nationwide. Pills are harder to get and H is flowing in from Mexico, ar least on the West Coast. The number one drug I ran into was heroin. Meth was a close second.

We had a strong batch hit locally and ODs spiked as the users tried to figure out the new dosage.

devildogljb
02-26-16, 19:44
There's been a few meth lab bust here in the last couple of months. But from what i seen and heard from local LEO's they have been from out of town and they are traveling labs or short term rentals. But the majority is all heroin, I look at it this way you get caught selling the stuff automatic life sentence and a life of hard labor odds are your stuff has probably killed someone...... Just one mans opinion.

KalashniKEV
02-26-16, 20:03
I just got back from New Hampshire and it's pretty bad.

Leaving the airport, a large LED Matrix billboard said, "HEY SHITHEADS!" then "(HEROIN DEALERS)" then in smaller letters "STOP SELLING DRUGS TO OUR KIDS" cycling over and over.

I went straight to a Walmart to buy a car charger since I was making a long drive and saw more than one thin, pretty young girl who was basically hanging off the shopping cart and obviously hooked on smack.

It was freezing ass cold out the whole time I was there, but I was told you can spot the track marks on kids arms in the summer time... and it's everyone.

daddyusmaximus
02-26-16, 20:03
I have but I don't remember it very well.

I'm straight Leiper's Fork, representin'. And not that fagotty, kale-munching Leiper's Fork that it's turned into.

http://nashvillepremierehomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Leipers-Fork-Main-Photo.jpg

Heaven.

I'd move back in heartbeat...if I won the Lottery.

Drugs aside, That is some beautiful country right there. I just save that shot and made it my desktop background. I never could figure out the allure of screwing up your head with drugs.

Alex V
02-26-16, 20:34
Kid steals mom's pain pills. Kid becomes addicted to opiates. Pain pills run out. Addiction remains. Kid starts shooting smack.

It's everywhere. All the cops and EMTs in NJ carry Narcan.

I thought we were going to be talking about babies crawling on the ceiling, but I guess we are trying to be serious. :-(

Firefly
02-26-16, 20:40
Heroin is nothing new. Especially "cheese".
It's whack a mole the state over.
Lots of gays and gay black males are big into clubbing and the drugs that go with it. Lots of disease going around.
The "smarter" ones smoke it.

Real talk, there's not a damn thing the DEA nor the state can do about it any more than the Meth trade.

It may seem "Leftist" of me but medicalization of drug abuse is a more pragmatic solution at this point than just filling up crowded prisons.

These people are killing themselves with disease and ODing more than anything else.

Also Alpharetta doesn't surprise me. Lots of richie rich types who like premium dope.

It's not going away.

Eurodriver
02-26-16, 20:42
Outlander your posts never cease to make me ell oh ell.

WillBrink
02-26-16, 20:58
Fentanyl kills far more in NH, yet many still talking about the heroin "problem' in NH. I'd be surprised if NH was the only state where that's the case.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/04/fentanyl-drug-heroin-new-hampshire-mexico-cartels

Firefly
02-26-16, 20:58

Notice me, Senpai....

jet66
02-26-16, 21:05
I don't know if it's truly on the rise or whatever, but you sure seem to hear about it a lot more in central Florida, and a few cases are hitting closer to home. We've got a family friend whose son has fallen back in to the heroin trap a few times, and someone close to me has a coworker that was recently found to be using. They (employer) were ready to put her in rehab, but she chose to resign instead, afraid that it would haunt her records. I'm kinda thinking it's more because she doesn't want to give it up just yet, but that could just be my general cynicism.

ubet
02-26-16, 22:01
My dad had a friend he grew up with that worked for two years for my old man. He'd made a bad decision out two and was trying to straighten up, dad was helping him through it. That is until he found out that he was doing black tar heroine in balloons. I only saw that guy twice more from the time I was 7 till I was 28, once he was at s homeless shelter across the street from a taco truck we were at, the second time was his funeral. Sure sad to see, that man could read a book today and three years later tell you what was on page 242 paragraph 3 with perfect recall.

I'm to the point, legalize the shit. It'll take some of the danger of the cartels away, let the addicts od, and sooner or later it will euro itself out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Don Robison
02-26-16, 22:02
It's pretty big down here in the Florida Panhandle lately. There have been a number of OD deaths the last few months and it is hitting all economic lifestyles.

JoshNC
02-26-16, 22:03
The big issue is prescription narcotic addiction. People get hooked after prolonged use following surgery, then exhaust their ability to obtain a prescription. The street cost of prescription narcotics is much higher than heroin, which can now be smoked instead of injected. Addiction takes over and the addicted turn to smoking heroin.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/talking-about-trauma/201505/the-changing-face-the-heroin-addict

williejc
02-26-16, 22:36
I have been working in a residential treatment center for emotionally disturbed juvenile offenders. 100 per cent have a history of drug use: pills, weed, heroin, whatever. Age range is 12-17. Some are sex offenders. Most have been in drug rehab before we get them. In every case drug use is a major reason for their legal problems and will be the one reason for their down fall when they leave us. I need to say that slimeball adults beat, burned, screwed, and destroyed them at an early age. Can you imagine a world where a mother will screw her kid? Drug abuse among parents and other family occurs in 99% of our kids' home settings.

I have no solution to the drug problem but will say that Americans have created our country's demand, and this demand fuels the industry. Prison, death sentences, fines, or worse in my opinion will not stop it.

SteyrAUG
02-27-16, 02:12
I blame Whitney Houston.

Sensei
02-27-16, 03:32
The big issue is prescription narcotic addiction. People get hooked after prolonged use following surgery, then exhaust their ability to obtain a prescription. The street cost of prescription narcotics is much higher than heroin, which can now be smoked instead of injected. Addiction takes over and the addicted turn to smoking heroin.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/talking-about-trauma/201505/the-changing-face-the-heroin-addict

I know where you are coming from, but I think that most people are prescribed opiates for non-surgical chronic pain. It's relatively uncommon for someone to develop a problem after a 2-3 week course of Percocet or Norco after a cholecystectomy or something similar.

For looking for someone to blame, look no further than Russell Portenoy.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PainManagement/PainManagement/47855

He is the douche who partnered with Purdue Pharma (manufacturer of OxyContin) who brought chronic opiates to mainstream use with some very suspect research in the 1980's. Now he is having second thoughts...go figure.

cobra90gt
02-27-16, 07:28
It's no secret that heroin usage/overdoses have been on the rise. These junkies are the same ones committing petty offenses like shoplifting or doing B&Es so they can pawn off stolen goods in order to generate funds to score their next few bindles down at the local drughouse. :nono:

PatrioticDisorder
02-27-16, 07:45
I know where you are coming from, but I think that most people are prescribed opiates for non-surgical chronic pain. It's relatively uncommon for someone to develop a problem after a 2-3 week course of Percocet or Norco after a cholecystectomy or something similar.

He is the douche who partnered with Purdue Pharma (manufacturer of OxyContin) who brought chronic opiates to mainstream use with some very suspect research in the 1980's. Now he is having second thoughts...go figure.

Hence why Josh said prolonged use and I'll add at higher dosages. His post is spot on except while some of these new heroin users smoke it, in my experience most are snorting it. In this particular population of heroin users (who were initially prescribed opioids for legit reasons) it is very uncommon to see people shooting it IV.

It's no secret that heroin usage/overdoses have been on the rise. These junkies are the same ones committing petty offenses like shoplifting or doing B&Es so they can pawn off stolen goods in order to generate funds to score their next few bindles down at the local drughouse. :nono:

There are heroin users from all different socioeconomic levels, what you're describing is a subpopulation of users, not representative of all heroin users.

williejc
02-27-16, 13:47
My unsubstantiated opinion is that the vast majority of opiate addicts never had medical reasons for taking them. Instead, very high availability of this dope provides easy access. An example is unscrupulous pain clinics operating within state law loop holes. Unless things have changed, Florida is one example. Another avenue is well meaning but careless prescribing habits among some physicians. Of course, pills by the ton flow in from Mexico.

When I got a new family practice doctor and described my recent back surgery and chronic arthritis pain, I stopped mid sentence and said, "Now for the surprise. I use ice and otc meds to manage pain and don't want pain pills." The guy almost kissed me. If I should ask for this dope for a valid medical reason, then he would readily prescribe it.

Obviously, pharm manufacturers have been producing astronomical amounts more than needed of opiates.

Sensei
02-27-16, 14:34
Hence why Josh said prolonged use and I'll add at higher dosages. His post is spot on except while some of these new heroin users smoke it, in my experience most are snorting it. In this particular population of heroin users (who were initially prescribed opioids for legit reasons) it is very uncommon to see people shooting it IV.

My point was similar to what williejc posted. Most people abusing heroin never had surgery or any actual medical problem requiring long-term use of short acting opiates. This is true even for those who graduated from prescription opiates to heroin; they started dabbling with friends or stealing meds in their household. I just did a Google and PubMed search but came up with peanuts on the topic. If someone finds some good research then please share.

SteyrAUG
02-27-16, 17:27
My point was similar to what williejc posted. Most people abusing heroin never had surgery or any actual medical problem requiring long-term use of short acting opiates. This is true even for those who graduated from prescription opiates to heroin; they started dabbling with friends or stealing meds in their household. I just did a Google and PubMed search but came up with peanuts on the topic. If someone finds some good research then please share.

That is exactly what I've seen in most instances.

Bunch of losers who have never been in a hospital in their life, except to have kids, who just started popping shit like "oxy" because it was so easy to get. There was a time when any slip and fall or fender bender was all you needed to score a Rx for Oxy. Down here strip mall pill houses were everywhere for almost an entire decade. Now the oxy is harder to get, but it seems heroin has never been difficult to find.

Reminds me a lot of the mainstream use of Methaqualone by nearly everybody in the late 70s.

cinco
02-27-16, 17:54
Yep to the above, and...

Here's your fuel.

Meh. A piece to the puzzle. Patterns of the past, present and future...

Another source to fund the black budget dont'cha know.

In the past suppliers of drugs from S.E. Asia, Central America, Muj in AFG used to fund "sensitive national interest projects". In regards to today, funds used to support efforts such as Syrian rebels - cough ISIS/AQ- and other activities in Libya, Ukraine, etc. and the other crap they meddle in. Plenty of examples of how the opium crop was/is "off limits" before/during/post O.E.F. Just a quick sample.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gangster_(film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOSOYSLDuQE

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-spoils-of-war-afghanistan-s-multibillion-dollar-heroin-trade/91

The Spoils of War: Afghanistan’s Multibillion Dollar Heroin Trade. Washington's Hidden Agenda: Restore the Drug Trade

Heroin is a multibillion dollar business supported by powerful interests, which requires a steady and secure commodity flow. One of the “hidden” objectives of the war was precisely to restore the CIA sponsored drug trade to its historical levels and exert direct control over the drug routes.

As revealed in the Iran-Contra and Bank of Commerce and Credit International (BCCI) scandals, CIA covert operations in support of the Afghan Mujahideen had been funded through the laundering of drug money. “Dirty money” was recycled –through a number of banking institutions (in the Middle East) as well as through anonymous CIA shell companies–, into “covert money,” used to finance various insurgent groups during the Soviet-Afghan war, and its aftermath:

“Because the US wanted to supply the Mujahideen rebels in Afghanistan with stinger missiles and other military hardware it needed the full cooperation of Pakistan. By the mid-1980s, the CIA operation in Islamabad was one of the largest US intelligence stations in the World. `If BCCI is such an embarrassment to the US that forthright investigations are not being pursued it has a lot to do with the blind eye the US turned to the heroin trafficking in Pakistan’, said a US intelligence officer. (“The Dirtiest Bank of All,” Time, July 29, 1991, p. 22.)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/heroin-use-grows-u-s-poppy-crops-thrive-afghanistan-n388081

As Heroin Use Grows in U.S., Poppy Crops Thrive in Afghanistan

cobra90gt
02-27-16, 19:05
...There are heroin users from all different socioeconomic levels, what you're describing is a subpopulation of users, not representative of all heroin users...

Right, because all of the "well-to-do" heroin users never seem to overdose or drain the resources of your local first responders. The drug doesn't care about your socioeconomic status, rich or poor, they'll wind up making life miserable for regular law abiding folks and when you see daily LE reports indicating multiple larceny from autos/petty thefts/frauds/etc and other associated crimes you'll see the connection.

Sensei
02-27-16, 20:03
Right, because all of the "well-to-do" heroin users never seem to overdose or drain the resources of your local first responders. The drug doesn't care about your socioeconomic status, rich or poor, they'll wind up making life miserable for regular law abiding folks and when you see daily LE reports indicating multiple larceny from autos/petty thefts/frauds/etc and other associated crimes you'll see the connection.

I'm tracking with your sarcasm and agree. Selection bias is powerful with these types of observations. There are very few heroin abusers who maintain enough function to operate above the lower socioeconomic class. Those few who can (i.e. entertainers) die but have the resources to check out in an apartment instead of being found dead in a park bathroom. It's a sad existence that destroys the soul before crushing the body.

MegademiC
02-27-16, 23:01
A news report here was stating that Haroon is easier for a minor to get than alcohol. Seems like a nationwide issue.

tb-av
02-28-16, 00:12
I'm tracking with your sarcasm and agree. Selection bias is powerful with these types of observations. That is very few heroin abusers maintain enough function to operate above the lower socioeconomic class. Those few who can (i.e. entertainers) die but have the resources to check out in an apparent instead of being found dead in a park bathroom.

I had a SIL that checked out by OD. I told the detective that two weeks earlier her friend OD. I told him this girl, my SIL, had done it all, been run over 2 times, lived on the streets, you name it, 40 years of hard living... if you walked into her apartment it was clean as whistle except for a few pills on the floor that she had lost. Sharp as a tack reading people. Scary sharp. There was a -lot- more to her story about how she got there but I know she got some bad heroin. I told the young detective you know she was what she was but you guys are missing something that's going on. He asked me how she got around. I said lately she has a driver. He laughed and said "a driver!?" I laughed and said, you asked.

It's a FU situation. For every addict there is a family, employer, social worker, cop, judge, lawyer, neighbor, whatever... It's like the ultimate pyramid scheme but nobody wins. It's a giant social CF.

I've got no problem with alcohol or pot as bad as they can be..... but heroin is bad bad medicine.

I can remember when I was a child, like 1960 or something LIFE magazine had a cover that as I recall was black and had the word HEROIN on it.

Nothing new about Heroin. It will F you up just like it always did. I can say, I've done some stupid things in my life but that is one I never wanted to dance with.

... anyway I watched an entire family deal with that one person for decades.

Sensei
02-28-16, 00:31
I had a SIL that checked out by OD. I told the detective that two weeks earlier her friend OD. I told him this girl, my SIL, had done it all, been run over 2 times, lived on the streets, you name it, 40 years of hard living... if you walked into her apartment it was clean as whistle except for a few pills on the floor that she had lost. Sharp as a tack reading people. Scary sharp. There was a -lot- more to her story about how she got there but I know she got some bad heroin. I told the young detective you know she was what she was but you guys are missing something that's going on. He asked me how she got around. I said lately she has a driver. He laughed and said "a driver!?" I laughed and said, you asked.

It's a FU situation. For every addict there is a family, employer, social worker, cop, judge, lawyer, neighbor, whatever... It's like the ultimate pyramid scheme but nobody wins. It's a giant social CF.

I've got no problem with alcohol or pot as bad as they can be..... but heroin is bad bad medicine.

I can remember when I was a child, like 1960 or something LIFE magazine had a cover that as I recall was black and had the word HEROIN on it.

Nothing new about Heroin. It will F you up just like it always did. I can say, I've done some stupid things in my life but that is one I never wanted to dance with.

... anyway I watched an entire family deal with that one person for decades.

There are very few heroin addicts that live more than a few years unless they clean up their act. It may be something other than an OD that kills them, but it's a lifestyle full of risk and the odds catch up.

bighawk
02-28-16, 00:44
Its BAD in western Washington I'm a 911 dispatcher for a county in Western Washington and we take multiple heroin OD calls daily.

I have a buddy who is an ER doc at a local hospital who says there are a lot more heroin OD's that are brought in by friends/family as well as other fire departments.

You can definitely tell when a new strong batch or a bad batch hits the streets because you will get a major increase in OD's. Its pretty sad when you take 911 calls from people you know/grew up with who are OD'ing from this garbage.

It happens in neighborhoods all over the county from the nicest to the worst.

SteyrAUG
02-28-16, 01:28
Seems to me discovery of and failure to avoid heroin is something that every generation has in common since the 1960s.

Everyone can agree on the needless deaths associated with the Vietnam war, but he let's try heroin. Maybe this time it won't kill most of it's users. Might be different this time.

Moose-Knuckle
02-28-16, 02:07
Yep to the above, and...

Here's your fuel.

Meh. A piece to the puzzle. Patterns of the past, present and future...

Another source to fund the black budget dont'cha know.

In the past suppliers of drugs from S.E. Asia, Central America, Muj in AFG used to fund "sensitive national interest projects". In regards to today, funds used to support efforts such as Syrian rebels - cough ISIS/AQ- and other activities in Libya, Ukraine, etc. and the other crap they meddle in. Plenty of examples of how the opium crop was/is "off limits" before/during/post O.E.F. Just a quick sample.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gangster_(film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOSOYSLDuQE

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-spoils-of-war-afghanistan-s-multibillion-dollar-heroin-trade/91

The Spoils of War: Afghanistan’s Multibillion Dollar Heroin Trade. Washington's Hidden Agenda: Restore the Drug Trade

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/heroin-use-grows-u-s-poppy-crops-thrive-afghanistan-n388081

As Heroin Use Grows in U.S., Poppy Crops Thrive in Afghanistan

Afghanistan produces something like $5 billion a year in opium. A lot of fingers in that pie and people wonder why we are still there.

tb-av
02-28-16, 02:09
There are very few heroin addicts that live more than a few years unless they clean up their act. It may be something other than an OD that kills them, but it's a lifestyle full of risk and the odds catch up.

Yeah, she beat the odds by a long shot. I think she was long time crack head but I know last part was heroin. She was one tough bird. Don't want to say too much more but someone cried and said 'why did it take so long'. Not in a selfish way but just the whole family ordeal of .. .we always thought no one can go this long. You can't go through what she she went through and live. I know I would have been dead many times and in prison many times in her life.

It was a good 30 year situation. I know 11 people that were personally impacted and I was late arrival to the understanding so I would say you could -easily- double that number... probably triple. that's one heroin user and it impacted maybe 25 people easily. Oh, hell no, that's 25 people that probably cared... you could probably double that. You could be looking at 50 - 75 that have to deal with one heroin addict.

Irish
02-28-16, 05:54
There is a large problem in Central NY and Ithica's mayor wants to open a supervised injection facility (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/22/mayor-wants-to-open-supervised-injection-facility-for-heroin-in-ny-city.html) for users. An interesting concept.

THCDDM4
02-28-16, 09:10
I've had a few close friends and a family member OD from heroin.

My best friend whom was supposed to be my best man OD'd a month before my wedding.

In each case they were all trying to kick the habit and recover, had a backslide and OD'd.

It seems this is common. They get into the drug, get a high tolerance and then Try to quit; succumb to the withdrawal, and take too much with that first dose back on the stuff and it kills them.

But hey- the war on drugs is a huge money maker for both sides, so things ain't gonna change anytime soon.

One needs to ask themselves why they support such a "war" and what exactly it is accomplishing when illegal drugs are easier to get and more prevalent for children and young adults.

I remember being able to buy whatever drug We wanted on any given day of the week, but having to wait for the right clerk at the ghetto liquor store, for someone's parents to go out of town and forget to lock up the liquor cabinet, the occasional fake ID or older buddy with a legit ID they would let you borrow to score some booze.

You're joking yourself if you think the metric shit ton of money we throw at the problem in the current fashion is doing much of anything other than making a bunch of criminals rich and growing the black market.

Humans are human, they want to escape from time to time. It's human nature. If we stopped trying to legislate human nature away and instead used the same resources to REALLY educate people about addiction and treat the problem- we might actually make a dent in the issue.

But again, the war on drugs in its current fashion is a huge money maker for both sides- so shit ain't gonna change...

J-Dub
02-28-16, 13:27
Man this is crazy. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled, make sure none of these rogue heroin loaded syringes don't poke me, or any of the magical jumping prescription pills jump into my mouth.

Why can't people just call it like it is. There are a lot of stupid people out there, and they do stupid stuff....like heroin. Its not the governments fault, it's not the educational systems fault, it's the individuals fault.

26 Inf
02-28-16, 13:43
Man this is crazy. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled, make sure none of these rogue heroin loaded syringes don't poke me, or any of the magical jumping prescription pills jump into my mouth.

Why can't people just call it like it is. There are a lot of stupid people out there, and they do stupid stuff....like heroin. Its not the governments fault, it's not the educational systems fault, it's the individuals fault.

Your sentiments are spot on, however you don't take into consideration that is difficult for someone to just 'x' a child, a sibling, or a friend out of their life and walk away.

Averageman
02-28-16, 14:05
Your sentiments are spot on, however you don't take into consideration that is difficult for someone to just 'x' a child, a sibling, or a friend out of their life and walk away.

At some point that friend, child or sibling will either get clean and sober or they will make it very necessary for you to "x" them out of your life.
Nothing can test you more than loving an addict. They will trade everything and anything at certain points in their addiction, you're just another way at some point for them to get high again.

Linebacker
02-28-16, 14:18

Very true! And your frustration is why, only another addict or alcoholic, can shepard a very sick person into recovery. Thankfully, the stigma of recovery is lessing every day. There are hordes of celerities coming out of anonimity every week in order to influence others. Rob Lowe, Bradley Cooper, Mel Gibson, the list goes forever. Becoming an acoholic was the best thing to ever happen to me, my father, my older sister....

26 Inf
02-28-16, 15:18
At some point that friend, child or sibling will either get clean and sober or they will make it very necessary for you to "x" them out of your life.
Nothing can test you more than loving an addict. They will trade everything and anything at certain points in their addiction, you're just another way at some point for them to get high again.

Not drugs, but alcohol. It ruled his life and mine by association until I booted him out. You still worry. When he hit bottom and decided he wanted to change I went to AA with him. Today, almost 20 years later, he is still sober, his two oldest graduate this year as straight 'A' students. Don't know that I could have ever 'x'ed' him out completely.

AnthonyCumia
02-28-16, 21:16
Any real ideas on how to fight this?

Do poppies grow south of the border or only in the Middle East/South Asia?

Firefly
02-28-16, 21:40
Any real ideas on how to fight this?

Do poppies grow south of the border or only in the Middle East/South Asia?

Decriminalization.
Attack actual actions.
Anything else is a medical issue.
If you eliminate and delegitimize the black market then the "stock" on dope will plummet.

It's hard to command price on a flooded market.

I'm of the mind that if a person really wants help, they'll get it. If they just wanna OD and sail away.....bye. It's a waste of jail space.

Just my take. The longer it is perpetuated, the longer it will exist. Like alcohol prohibition.

Big A
02-28-16, 21:56
Decriminalization.
Attack actual actions.
Anything else is a medical issue.
If you eliminate and delegitimize the black market then the "stock" on dope will plummet.

It's hard to command price on a flooded market.

I'm of the mind that if a person really wants help, they'll get it. If they just wanna OD and sail away.....bye. It's a waste of jail space.

Just my take. The longer it is perpetuated, the longer it will exist. Like alcohol prohibition.
My thoughts exactly. We are wasting a ton of money trying to save people from their bad decisions. People should be free to make their own choices, however they shouldn't be free from the consequences of their choices.

Dienekes
02-28-16, 23:38
I guess this is what the future brought to you by "Whatever" looks like. Somebody ought to write an owners manual...

As if anyone would read it.

Outlander Systems
02-29-16, 06:40
:jester:

The one time I was prescribed a painkiller (after I had my wisdom teeth removed), I took the perca/perco(sp?)-something-or-other pain pills for exactly one day, and said, "**** this shit". I can't see how anyone finds pleasure in those things. I'd rather hurt.

This is similar to what my wife was telling me about one of her brother's friends from High School. Kid went to college, then right into grad school, and got an MBA. Then dude gets hooked on smack, loses his job, and resorts to petty theft to fuel his habit. Surreal.

Wow. I guess that pretty much confirms this ain't a localized problem.

I just got back from New Hampshire and it's pretty bad.

Leaving the airport, a large LED Matrix billboard said, "HEY SHITHEADS!" then "(HEROIN DEALERS)" then in smaller letters "STOP SELLING DRUGS TO OUR KIDS" cycling over and over.

I went straight to a Walmart to buy a car charger since I was making a long drive and saw more than one thin, pretty young girl who was basically hanging off the shopping cart and obviously hooked on smack.

It was freezing ass cold out the whole time I was there, but I was told you can spot the track marks on kids arms in the summer time... and it's everyone.

Averageman
02-29-16, 08:23

And then you have Heroin Addicts that seem to live forever doing the stuff.
Ray Charles and Keith Richards being two prime examples.
HIV more than the Dope killed off many of them where I grew up. I would guess a dozen or so people that I had no idea were Heroin users suddenly came down with AIDS.
It was a cross section of that little society, Men, Women, Rich and Poor, people who you had no idea were IV drug users suddenly just begin wasting away and then dying a pretty hideous death. A lot of these people had decent jobs and managed to keep their jobs and be somewhat productive citizens, then it all came apart.
I became aware of drugs in the 70's, by the time I was 15 I understood Heroin was a death sentence, I don't know why others seem to think they can do it and not get burned.

thepatriot2705
02-29-16, 19:26
Im from the cincinnati, ohio area. Heroin is a major problem up here. I recently stopped at a gas station and saw two people od'ing. As i pulled in a saw a LEO at the gas station next store. I flagged him down and he gave the people narcan. Its so bad in this area that Kroger is selling narcan over the counter without a prescription.

williejc
02-29-16, 20:42
I know that it's cruel to say, but OD'ing removes non productive citizens who have become a social liability.

tb-av
02-29-16, 21:16
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/health/2016/02/25/del-walgreens-sell-narcan-without-prescription/80823966/

I knew things were getting bad but I actually didn't realize they had gotten this bad.

Obama needs to fix this and buy that nice old lady a sink too.

drsal
02-29-16, 21:31
I know that it's cruel to say, but OD'ing removes non productive citizens who have become a social liability.
I'd have to agree, no sympathy for moronic druggies be they ghetto scum or pathetic soccer moms and their useless offspring.

SteyrAUG
03-01-16, 01:42

You don't want to know this but there is a kind of welfare system built around certain drug users. If you have health insurance, and pretty much everyone does now, many plans include substance recovery.

We have so many people here from places like Camden, NJ it isn't funny. And every one of them is living in an insurance subsidized halfway house with a bunch of other folks in the program. They pay for almost nothing, they even get free gym memberships as part of their recovery. And as the substance recovery epicenter we have built several impressive gyms locally. They get a cost of living allowance that allows them to hang out at Starbucks all day drinking coffee and surfing free wifi.

These are mostly young adults from regular homes, you almost never find a street addict in the "recovery program." I've talked to them and while they are encouraged to get a job, most say it's only necessary if you need lots of spending money because the basics are covered.

There are even users who admit to planning a FL vacation by deliberately flagging themselves and going into an insurance funded recovery program.

williejc
03-01-16, 09:38
It's likely that the people who run these places only care about income produced. Good ethics would suggest screening so that those most likely to recover would be selected for treatment.

Where I work we have a set of 14 year old twins who have done heroin in addition to any other drug available. Both have been kicked out of two different rehabs before we got them. In a controlled setting they are working the program successfully. One reason is that they are smart enough to want to avoid their next stop if they fail: the Texas juvenile prison system. If they are sent there and fail, then the next stop is the Texas adult system, a bad place. So where will they be in 10 years? My guess is dead. If somebody doesn't kill them, I predict that they will OD. These boys know the score and understand where they might end up and why. They don't have the drive or motivation to function outside of controlled settings, and they just don not care.

A spooky thing is that they look at you with the eyes of a goat. I firmly believe that they have no soul.

AnthonyCumia
03-01-16, 10:00
And then you have Heroin Addicts that seem to live forever doing the stuff.
Ray Charles and Keith Richards being two prime examples.
HIV more than the Dope killed off many of them where I grew up. I would guess a dozen or so people that I had no idea were Heroin users suddenly came down with AIDS.
It was a cross section of that little society, Men, Women, Rich and Poor, people who you had no idea were IV drug users suddenly just begin wasting away and then dying a pretty hideous death. A lot of these people had decent jobs and managed to keep their jobs and be somewhat productive citizens, then it all came apart.
I became aware of drugs in the 70's, by the time I was 15 I understood Heroin was a death sentence, I don't know why others seem to think they can do it and not get burned.

Young, Dumb, or they think some how they are are immune to biology.

AnthonyCumia
03-01-16, 10:04
It's likely that the people who run these places only care about income produced. Good ethics would suggest screening so that those most likely to recover would be selected for treatment.

Where I work we have a set of 14 year old twins who have done heroin in addition to any other drug available. Both have been kicked out of two different rehabs before we got them. In a controlled setting they are working the program successfully. One reason is that they are smart enough to want to avoid their next stop if they fail: the Texas juvenile prison system. If they are sent there and fail, then the next stop is the Texas adult system, a bad place. So where will they be in 10 years? My guess is dead. If somebody doesn't kill them, I predict that they will OD. These boys know the score and understand where they might end up and why. They don't have the drive or motivation to function outside of controlled settings, and they just don not care.

A spooky thing is that they look at you with the eyes of a goat. I firmly believe that they have no soul.

I have seen that look....I worry what they would do in need of a fix in the middle of a massive riot or the day the EBT system goes down.

nova3930
03-01-16, 12:11

There's a big problem with older doctors over prescribing just to keep patients happy and coming back.

My wife took over a practice from a guy who had been going since the early 70s. In general her patient base is completely stoned out of their minds. She said when she started, that there was a solid week where every legacy patient who came in for the first time was on Xanax and another week where every legacy patient was on some form of opiate. She's pissed a lot of them off because she does not prescribe controlled substances on an ongoing basis. She'll do limited duration for acute injuries but if you have chronic pain, it's a referral to pain management and if you have psych issues it's a referral to psych.

nova3930
03-01-16, 12:17
The one time I was prescribed a painkiller (after I had my wisdom teeth removed), I took the perca/perco(sp?)-something-or-other pain pills for exactly one day, and said, "**** this shit". I can't see how anyone finds pleasure in those things. I'd rather hurt.

Same here. After I had the PRK laser surgery on my eyes, they gave me a lortab prescription. I took one the first day and all it did was make me itch like crazy. Tossed the stuff in the cabinet and started taking ibuprofen instead which to me worked better....

Sensei
03-01-16, 13:40
There's a big problem with older doctors over prescribing just to keep patients happy and coming back.

My wife took over a practice from a guy who had been going since the early 70s. In general her patient base is completely stoned out of their minds. She said when she started, that there was a solid week where every legacy patient who came in for the first time was on Xanax and another week where every legacy patient was on some form of opiate. She's pissed a lot of them off because she does not prescribe controlled substances on an ongoing basis. She'll do limited duration for acute injuries but if you have chronic pain, it's a referral to pain management and if you have psych issues it's a referral to psych.

I'm a faculty ED physician at one of the larger hospitals in NC. At any given time, 1/3 of my patients are in the ED for a problem that can be traced back to drugs or alcohol. Either they OD'd, or wrecked their car, or they feel depressed, or they want more, yada, yada - it all goes back to substance abuse. After a while, I start to wonder if I'm the only person who is not high. Then, I log onto M4C and realize that I am...

JoshNC
03-01-16, 17:04
I'm a faculty ED physician at one of the larger hospitals in NC. At any given time, 1/3 of my patients are in the ED for a problem that can be traced back to drugs or alcohol. Either they OD'd, or wrecked their car, or they feel depressed, or they want more, yada, yada - it all goes back to substance abuse. After a while, I start to wonder if I'm the only person who is not high. Then, I log onto M4C and realize that I am...

Sent you an email through the board.

26 Inf
03-01-16, 18:25
After a while, I start to wonder if I'm the only person who is not high. Then, I log onto M4C and realize that I am...

Good one. :lol:

7.62NATO
03-01-16, 18:34
Those that want to legalize schedule 1 substances are ignorant, dumb, high, or a combination of thereof.

7.62NATO
03-01-16, 18:35

I find that M4C is all too well representative of the general population, albeit likely heavily armed and a danger to themselves and others.

Irish
03-01-16, 18:55
Those that want to legalize schedule 1 substances are ignorant, dumb, high, or a combination of thereof.

I find that M4C is all too well representative of the general population, albeit likely heavily armed and a danger to themselves and others.

You're painting with a really broad brush.

Outlander Systems
03-01-16, 18:55
It was not a pleasant experience. I'm convinced Jack Daniels, Aspirin, and Icy Hot are the most powerful painkillers known to man.

Same here. After I had the PRK laser surgery on my eyes, they gave me a lortab prescription. I took one the first day and all it did was make me itch like crazy. Tossed the stuff in the cabinet and started taking ibuprofen instead which to me worked better....

Outlander Systems
03-01-16, 18:56
Either his account got hacked, or he is Rickrolling the shit out of us.

You're painting with a really broad brush.

Irish
03-01-16, 19:00

I checked out his posts and agree.

26 Inf
03-01-16, 19:56
It was not a pleasant experience. I'm convinced Jack Daniels, Aspirin, and Icy Hot are the most powerful painkillers known to man.

Hmm, I got fast growing 'Cadillacs' from a course of steroids for another condition had both eyes done within 10 days of one another, they basically sliced the eye open, removed the offending lens and re inserted the new one. Didn't hurt much at all, wonder why RK is painful - you guys aren't the first I've heard that from.

The cataract surgery was so quick and easy - bam 20/800 to 20/25 in one eye and 20/400 to 20/20 in the other, I don't really understand why they don't do it to correct other problems.

26 Inf
03-01-16, 19:58

Head injury or dementia. Seriously, I was concerned at first.

7.62NATO
03-01-16, 20:10
Head injury or dementia. Seriously, I was concerned at first.

I can't seem to find my Lithium. Probably ran out. Crap. Do have plenty of Seroquel and Symbyax though.

7.62NATO
03-01-16, 20:15
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/chasing-heroin/

nova3930
03-01-16, 20:17
Hmm, I got fast growing 'Cadillacs' from a course of steroids for another condition had both eyes done within 10 days of one another, they basically sliced the eye open, removed the offending lens and re inserted the new one. Didn't hurt much at all, wonder why RK is painful - you guys aren't the first I've heard that from.

The cataract surgery was so quick and easy - bam 20/800 to 20/25 in one eye and 20/400 to 20/20 in the other, I don't really understand why they don't do it to correct other problems.

In prk they either scrape off or grind off the outer protective layer of cells on your eye prior to reshaping the lense with a laser. Even with the bandage contacts they put on post-op it feels like sand and razors in your eye. Takes a week+ for the cells to grow back to minimal thickness and months for full healing.

Comparatively when they did your cataracts they sliced through the layer in a thin spot such that it probably healed in 24 hours

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sensei
03-01-16, 21:27

About 5 years ago I had a mid-life crisis and left my practice for a federal LE job that had vision requirements. Not wanting a corneal flap that might dehisce, I chose PRK over LASIK. The day before surgery my surgeon gave me a bunch of scripts to get filled. One of them was for Lortab 10. I told him that I would be fine with just Motrin and handed back the Lortab script. He held it, paused for a few seconds, and said, "Don't be a hero," as he put it back in my shirt pocket with the other antibiotics and steroids. I took it home but didn't fill it.

The next day, I was feeling pretty good for an hour or two after surgery until the Tetracain started to wear off. Then, I gradually started to get the sensation that I had glass in my eyes. I took 600 mg of Motrin but the sensation progressed to a stabbing pain and severe photophobia. At six hours, I sent my wife to get the Lortab. By the time she got back an hour later I was jonesing like Gollum looking for The Precious. I literally popped 3 of those basterds immediately. That as the first and only time that I've ever taken the opiates that I prescribe daily. Six months later, I had to take my poly for the security clearance. Naturally, the first thing that popped in my mind when the examiner asked me if I ever abused drugs was that mental picture of me chewing Lortab like it was candy. Somehow, I still passed with flying colors.

jpmuscle
03-01-16, 21:41
About 5 years ago I had a mid-life crisis and left my practice for a federal LE job that had vision requirements. Not wanting a corneal flap that might dehisce, I chose PRK over LASIK. The day before surgery my surgeon gave me a bunch of scripts to get filled. One of them was for Lortab 10. I told him that I would be fine with just Motrin and handed back the Lortab script. He held it, paused for a few seconds, and said, "Don't be a hero," as he put it back in my shirt pocket with the other antibiotics and steroids. I took it home but didn't fill it.

The next day, I was feeling pretty good for an hour or two after surgery until the Tetracain started to wear off. Then, I gradually started to get the sensation that I had glass in my eyes. I took 600 mg of Motrin but the sensation progressed to a stabbing pain and severe photophobia. At six hours, I sent my wife to get the Lortab. By the time she got back an hour later I was jonesing like Gollum looking for The Precious. I literally popped 3 of those basterds immediately. That as the first and only time that I've ever taken the opiates that I prescribe daily. Six months later, I had to take my poly for the security clearance. Naturally, the first thing that popped in my mind when the examiner asked me if I ever abused drugs was that mental picture of me chewing Lortab like it was candy. Somehow, I still passed with flying colors.
Well, it really only assesses your perception of guilt lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

26 Inf
03-01-16, 21:43
That sounds like my experience with testing the theory that contact lenses would protect the eyes from OC spray and make decon easier - took 3 seconds to the face with a streamer. Found out they don't. Those damn little particles get underneath the lenses and after you've completely screwed up the ph balance in your eyes by running tap water into them, the contacts feel like they are glued to your eyes. About halfway through that evolution I would have liked some lortab or an icepick. Last time I believe a manufacturer's rep about anything.

That was Friday, I wore eye patches over the weekend, was good to go Monday, the eyes heal fast - as if you didn't know. :)

Firefly
03-01-16, 23:00
First off, Sensei. I rost and I raffed. Hard. I'm sure it sucked but that was just something for readers digest.
If I had a medical practice, screw LE work. Thanks for whatever time you put in, but no. It sucks at all levels after a while. Bleh.

26, ol buddy, I too rost and raffed. Contact lenses and OC spray never ever mix, you silly goose. I knew a black chick going for OC cert for her corrections job. She wore those vanity lenses with swirls and so forth. This portly black chick with blonde hair rolled around trying to claw her own eyeballs out was hilarious and pathetic. The water just made it worse. She sounded like a scalded naked cat dipped in hot molasses and chucked onto a hot tin roof on a sunny June day.

I remember jackassing my way through some Freeze +p and over the years some back spray.

Good times. Great times.

ubet
03-01-16, 23:34
Took and half a vicadin one night, I thought I was floating. It scared the hell out of me, I can live with pain as opposed to that crap. Pain is just weakness leaving tyne body, in a yellow stream down your leg sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Vandal
03-02-16, 00:01
I've never been able to wrap my head around heroin users. I had my wisdom teeth pulled in college and took half a RX'd hydro of the week's worth I was prescribed. I hated the way it made me feel, like I wasn't really in control. I was there but not really, just super foggy and floating through life. I switched over to ibuprofen and water.

I was given a huge bottle of hydros after back surgery (thanks USAF) and I never opened it. I told my doc I wasn't going to touch it and he thought I was nuts. Turned in a full bottle when I left the hospital. I'd rather deal with the pain and use ibuprofen to keep the edge off.

AnthonyCumia
03-02-16, 00:05
I've never been able to wrap my head around heroin users. I had my wisdom teeth pulled in college and took half a RX'd hydro of the week's worth I was prescribed. I hated the way it made me feel, like I wasn't really in control. I was there but not really, just super foggy and floating through life. I switched over to ibuprofen and water.

I was given a huge bottle of hydros after back surgery (thanks USAF) and I never opened it. I told my doc I wasn't going to touch it and he thought I was nuts. Turned in a full bottle when I left the hospital. I'd rather deal with the pain and use ibuprofen to keep the edge off.

Some people do not have the wisdom,strength,will power, balls and insanity you do. Some people have a pain so strong that it numbs their will to live.

Averageman
03-02-16, 06:52
I got a nice shot of Morphine in the Hospital and then a Morphine drip through my IV for the next week.
I have to admit, from where I was before with the pain until about two minutes after that needle came out of my arm, that was as nice as I had ever felt.

Outlander Systems
03-02-16, 07:19
She didn't happen to work at The Clermont, did she?

First off, Sensei. I rost and I raffed. Hard. I'm sure it sucked but that was just something for readers digest.
If I had a medical practice, screw LE work. Thanks for whatever time you put in, but no. It sucks at all levels after a while. Bleh.

26, ol buddy, I too rost and raffed. Contact lenses and OC spray never ever mix, you silly goose. I knew a black chick going for OC cert for her corrections job. She wore those vanity lenses with swirls and so forth. This portly black chick with blonde hair rolled around trying to claw her own eyeballs out was hilarious and pathetic. The water just made it worse. She sounded like a scalded naked cat dipped in hot molasses and chucked onto a hot tin roof on a sunny June day.

I remember jackassing my way through some Freeze +p and over the years some back spray.

Good times. Great times.

Eurodriver
03-02-16, 07:31
I generally don't take medicine as a rule. Cold medicine merely masks symptoms and does nothing to help anything. Motrin and other pain relievers never seem to have any effect on me whatsoever. The same can be said of energy drinks, coffee, soda, anything with caffeine, etc. I can literally down a monster, immediately get into bed and go to sleep. So I don't drink any of the stuff.

With that said, when I had my calcaneus sawed off and screwed back on I was right there with Sensei. I was taking Vic once a day and I think 2 Percs every 12 hours and by the third day I called my doctor demanding he give me morphine or something heavier.

The worst part about that stuff is that I was always sweating. Always. My electric bill was almost $450 because I kept the house in the 60's during the Florida summer and I still spent the entire month on the couch with a towel wiping my forehead down. Swollen foot, inability to sleep, crankiness, constant sweating, noise and smell sensitivity...I was basically pregnant...

...why the hell would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to such torture?!?!?

Firefly
03-02-16, 07:43
She didn't happen to work at The Clermont, did she?

She was fat like the black chick from Reno 911 yet it wouldn't surprise me. She had quite an attitude. If she isn't locked up running contraband by now I honestly would be shocked

Averageman
03-02-16, 07:52
I have had some issues with my knee this week.
It was a bit sore from some extra time on the treadmill and then the following evening as I was getting out of bed, the dog happened to be under my foot as I touched the carpet. A little change of direction and a "Pop" and I've had a hell of a week so far.
Now here is the odd thing. I manage to get an appointment to see a Doctor and I get the steroid/Cortisone shot under my knee cap, Afterwards he explains that he can't give me any pain meds except some low grade stuff just a hair better than Tylenol. He explained that if I need something more I needed to come back tomorrow and have an MD prescribe it as he cannot because he is a P.A.
Are there that many people gaming the system?

TAZ
03-02-16, 09:58
Yes, there are bunches of people gaming it to feed their habits. Had a family member have an issue for a short time till they got their head on straight and kicked the habit. Would go to the small corner ER's till they found one willing to give an RX. As with all drugs and contraband, where they is a will there is a way.

Outlander Systems
03-02-16, 10:03
Aw c'mon, dude.

Blondie. Clermont. You nomsayin!

She was fat like the black chick from Reno 911 yet it wouldn't surprise me. She had quite an attitude. If she isn't locked up running contraband by now I honestly would be shocked

Firefly
03-02-16, 10:15
Aw c'mon, dude.

Blondie. Clermont. You nomsayin!

Yes I do. Mmhmm

Vandal
03-02-16, 10:53
Are there that many people gaming the system?

Yes. The father of one of my best friends is a PA in Southern ID and he sees it all the time, along with the nurses I know. People come in with an injury, point to the "10" or "crank it up to 11" on the pain chart and expect to just be handed over a RX for the heavy stuff. The patients use some new or recurring injury as a way to feed their addiction. It is a huge problem but routinely gets swept under the run because it's not actually heroin, it's from a doctor. They will even doctor shop if they know one is on to them to go find another source for the meds.

Prescribed and non-prescribed opiate abuse is a huge issue in this country that leads to other crime. Some can kick it, many don't and others just keep living on it. My girlfriend's ex-MIL is a prime example. She lives completely doped up on opiate pain killers and her Dr. husband is a facilitator in a way. He doesn't actually write the scripts but others in his office do.

Between opiates and anti-depressants we are a seriously drugged up nation.

Averageman
03-02-16, 11:04
I knew something was up when we started down that road.
The pain was bad before, but during the shot it was off the chart, he had to know I was in some serious pain, but I guess his hands were tied.
I've had the Dentist prescribe Oxycondone (sp?) without blinking an eye for a rough extraction.

nova3930
03-02-16, 11:17
Yes. The father of one of my best friends is a PA in Southern ID and he sees it all the time, along with the nurses I know. People come in with an injury, point to the "10" or "crank it up to 11" on the pain chart and expect to just be handed over a RX for the heavy stuff. The patients use some new or recurring injury as a way to feed their addiction. It is a huge problem but routinely gets swept under the run because it's not actually heroin, it's from a doctor. They will even doctor shop if they know one is on to them to go find another source for the meds.

When my wife first started her practice she got all sorts of "new" patients who were drug seeking. They were testing to see if she was a pushover. Had more than a few storm out when she said "ibuprofen and a referral to pain management." Once word got around she was a hard ass they stopped coming in...