PDA

View Full Version : Viking Tactics light mount

VA_Dinger
06-13-06, 21:05
Anybody use the Viking Tactics light mount? I like the looks and price. How are they holding up?

subzero
06-13-06, 21:30
I have it on two carbines. It is the only light mount I have used so far that puts the light exactly where it should be, tucked in tight but still offset enough to make light activation easy.

I have my quibbles with it. The method the light is secured in the mount is by three grub screws. I don't care that the screws can mark up the light body (BFD), but I do care that there's no way to check to see if they've backed off until your light falls out. Mine hasn't yet, but the concern remains.

I don't like that I can't get one for an Executive light body. 1" lights only.

I'm 50/50 on the light mounting via a non-QD method. My lights stay on my guns, so QD doesn't really matter to me. At least I can witness mark the allen screws that lock the mount down to check them.

Suffice it to say I have not had any problems with either of mine yet, and one has seen plenty of rounds and range time. The light body is evidence that it's been banged around a bit, and everything is still holding tight.

C4IGrant
06-14-06, 11:31
Anybody use the Viking Tactics light mount? I like the looks and price. How are they holding up?

I have had two customers break them. This is two out of several hundred.

I personally think they are great with the SF G2, but don't like them with any metal bodied light as the screws dig into the metal.

C4

Lancelot
07-03-06, 13:09
I have one, and have banged it around a lot. It seems to be holding up quite well. It does mount the light very close to the rail, and that may interfere with things mounted on other rails, or your rail covers.

easy610
07-03-06, 18:33
Just installed two of them. Very pleased thus far. As stated above, mounted the light very close to the rail, which is how I like it. Since I use ladder style covers they aren't interfered with.

Pleased.

DocGKR
07-19-06, 10:33
Seen a lot of VTAC mounts in use with G2's and 6P's on low recoiling systems like 5.56 mm--they work great!

Sam
08-07-06, 18:12
This is my Viking mount I bought from VA_Dinger :) Thanks man. Combined with the Pentagon 2 cell light, it puts the tail cap push button exactly where I wanted it. I used to run a corded touch pad but I like this better. I've tried the Larue Battlelight, while an excellent performer, it added a chunk of weight to the gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RichardTouch/pentagon.jpg

VA_Dinger
08-07-06, 21:52
Sam, nice set-up.

I might be slow, but I always come through. ;)

I thought the Viking Tactics was a great light mount. It just did not work using my prefered light position/support hand position.

MudBug
08-08-06, 02:44
Sam, nice set-up.

I might be slow, but I always come through. ;)

I thought the Viking Tactics was a great light mount. It just did not work using my prefered light position/support hand position.

I have the opposite problem.

A Viking Tactics with an X2-HA was my first light set-up and I got very used to how close it mounts the light.

Now that I have a bit more money to spend I can't find anything else that put's it there. I was hoping the DD mount would work but nope. The DD mount now holds my old X2-HA on my 870, and I'm still using the old Viking Tactics mounts with an X3-HA.

Sam
08-08-06, 05:15
Mud Bug: More money doesn't always mean "mo betta" :)

VA: You weren't slow, the deliverer was.

meateater
08-08-06, 18:34
i've got one i bought from grant on my 870HD.
so far it is holding up well as expected, i have a 6p mounted on it and no issues so far...

meat

fivepointoh
10-04-06, 09:57
i have my X3-HA mounted in it and i like it but it's hard to place it in very many spots with such a long light and small surface area of the 7.0 rail. secondly it almost rubs my TD VFG no matter where i need it to be. i also don't like how it grinds into the metal but w/ all that said it works.

http://static.flickr.com/88/253785396_1af11128f0.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/102/260667993_527c50093d.jpg

Neeglik
10-05-06, 12:15
Just got my first one a week or two ago and am very happy. The rest of the rifles are going to be getting them too!

Hoplophile
10-06-06, 11:52
i also don't like how it grinds into the metal but w/ all that said it works.
A thin shim can do wonders to protect the finish on the light. Something relatively soft like brass or bare aluminum will press itself into the checkering to provide a secure hold as well as allow the set screws to bite into it for a good hold. If the shim is very thin you'll still get some chewing on the light's body but it isn't as bad. I'm using mine with a surefire light and the Surefires have flat spots for logos that give a large place to insert a thicker shim. Seems to be holding up well so far and no marks on the body of the light.

fivepointoh
11-02-06, 20:32
roger that and thanks for the advice!

J Crew
12-12-06, 08:36
A thin shim can do wonders to protect the finish on the light. Something relatively soft like brass or bare aluminum will press itself into the checkering to provide a secure hold as well as allow the set screws to bite into it for a good hold. If the shim is very thin you'll still get some chewing on the light's body but it isn't as bad. I'm using mine with a surefire light and the Surefires have flat spots for logos that give a large place to insert a thicker shim. Seems to be holding up well so far and no marks on the body of the light.

what specifically are you using for a shim? i'm interested in picking some up myself. thanks.

- Jason

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 09:27
Get out your SAK and cut up an empty case, duh... :p

The hardware stores and Home Depot sell small sheets of brass near the angle iron and threaded rod, etc. Hobby stores might be a better choice- they have brass, aluminum, copper, etc. in small sheets of different thicknesses...

dialM4murder
10-30-08, 19:56
Mine just came in today

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1754/0000012ut8.jpg

CaptainDooley
05-04-09, 10:07
So for those of us not running a VFG, but wanting a light, would it make sense to mount this on top and have it offset to the side the thumb of our support hand is on? Anyone got a pic of a non-VFG set up with this mount?

LOKNLOD
05-04-09, 10:17
So for those of us not running a VFG, but wanting a light, would it make sense to mount this on top and have it offset to the side the thumb of our support hand is on? Anyone got a pic of a non-VFG set up with this mount?

That should work. I run mine on the 9 o'clock rail, pointing up, to put the light at about 11:00, and then hit it with my thumb. I have a VFG but mostly just as a hand stop. Mounting on the 12:00 rail and offsetting to the side would put it in approximately the same spot, give or take a hair (mine's about even with my front sight so the side works better than the top, for me).

thopkins22
05-04-09, 11:31
I have a G2L riding in one on a carbine length Omega. It's seen one carbine class at CSAT, countless hours of dry fire practice, and quite a few range trips with no problems. I very much prefer it at 11:00 with or without a VFG.

It's probably not bomb-proof in the sense that the Vltor one appears to be, but I see no need to baby it.

I don't like that I can't get one for an Executive light body. 1" lights only.

They now come with an insert designed for the E series lights. It even has a cutout to accommodate the pocket clip if you don't want to take it off.

ETA:Holy cow, talk about back from the dead. Just noticed the OP date. On the other hand, props to dude for using the search function.

CaptainDooley
05-04-09, 19:24
I like how the original poster, who was asking for opinions before buying had sold the mount to another member who is happy with it by the mid point of the post...

WickedWillis
10-31-13, 18:48
Not to reopen an old thread, but will this mount securely fit the Surefire G2x tactical?

brianc3
10-31-13, 19:02
Not to reopen an old thread, but will this mount securely fit the Surefire G2x tactical?

The VTAC website says it will fit with a "little Rigging" it's a good cost effective mount. The G2X is slightly slimmer than the G2 so what some people have done is shim the G2X with a piece of 550 cord and it locks up nice and tight.

Javelin
10-31-13, 19:34
I would seriously recommend gear sector.

WickedWillis
10-31-13, 21:14
I already have the mount, I'm just looking for a solid light