PDA

View Full Version : Prince William County shooting - Officer Killed

bighawk
02-27-16, 23:26
3 officers shot one killed on her first shift with her FTO. One civilian killed as well. Suspect is in custody.

My prayers go out to the families of the victims.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/28/1-officer-dead-2-officers-injured-after-shooting-outside-washington-dc.html

A Virginia police officer who was on her first shift with a department was shot and killed Saturday and two other officers were wounded in a standoff stemming from a call about a domestic-related incident.

Prince William County Police Department said officers responded to a call about 5:30 p.m. in Woodbridge, about 20 miles south of Washington, D.C. It’s unclear how the altercation between the suspect and police began, but the suspect is in custody and was not injured, Sgt. Jonathan Perok said.

Vandal
02-27-16, 23:58
She was sworn in yesterday. She literally on her first shift. Her name is Ashley Guindon. ****ing tragic.

bighawk
02-28-16, 00:09
We were just talking about this at work.. Its hard to find words to describe it. Reading through a few articles it sounds like he shot his wife or girlfriend then opened fire on the police when they arrived.

Wake27
02-28-16, 00:30
Yeah this is really sad. I didn't know a civilian was killed too. This is only about 20 minutes from where my parents live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bighawk
02-28-16, 00:59
Truly unfortunate.

I read an article earlier that said he used a rifle to ambush the officers. I cant seem to find that article now but I suspect we will have more information in the coming days.

titsonritz
02-28-16, 01:25
Damn!! That is rough. Prayers out to the victims, their families and friends.

platoonDaddy
02-28-16, 04:39
May she RIP

A Virginia police officer who was on her first shift with a department was shot and killed Saturday and two other officers were wounded in a standoff stemming from a call about a domestic-related incident.

Prince William County Police Department said officers responded to a call about 5:30 p.m. in Woodbridge, about 20 miles south of Washington, D.C. It’s unclear how the altercation between the suspect and police began, but the suspect is in custody and was not injured, Sgt. Jonathan Perok said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/28/virginia-officer-killed-on-her-first-day-on-job-2-other-officers-injured-in-shooting.html?intcmp=hpbt3

J-Dub
02-28-16, 06:44
What a completely senseless loss of life. This is why I freaking hate domestic calls, because they all have the possibility to turn into a shit storm.

Thoughts go out to this young officer's family.

Firefly
02-28-16, 07:49
Shit. Her folks might as well have shot her at home. She hadn't even been born yet.

I thought it was cute when they said "suspect in custody, uninjured". Naw, that SOB goes to the hospital minimum.
Because maybe he was so overcome with shock at murdering some kid cop he collapsed.

And people still wanna do this shit. She'll get a nice funeral but will be forgotten like a lot of decent folks.

Airhasz
02-28-16, 08:12
RIP Officer.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-28-16, 08:19
What a completely senseless loss of life. This is why I freaking hate domestic calls, because they all have the possibility to turn into a shit storm.

Thoughts go out to this young officer's family.

Kansas, while not a domestic call out, was triggered by a domestic dispute.
LEO in CO was killed recently in an eviction action.

I know domestics are always hairy, but it seems more likely lately.

You know it's a risk, but first day. My first day, within the first 5 min into my first shift as a lifeguard I had to pull a kid out- hate to see the reverse.

Dienekes
02-28-16, 10:10
As Paul Newman said at the girl's funeral in "Exodus", it just makes you want to howl.

May she rest in peace.

Wake27
02-28-16, 12:22
Reports are saying that the suspect is a SSG stationed at the pentagon. ****ing pathetic.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-28-16, 12:24
RIP to her.

We just undraped for the Mesa County, Colorado Deputy killed. Days later, we are re-draped for the Park County, Colorado Deputy killed. What is going on?!

Firefly
02-28-16, 12:34
Reports are saying that the suspect is a SSG stationed at the pentagon. ****ing pathetic.

Well whatever BS drama he was stirring up that night has certainly not been made worse for his career than murdering a rookie chick cop on her literally first night out.

I seriously do not see how committing murder helped his life situation one bit.

Pure speculation but it was probably some BS mama drama.

My advice, if you live with a bitch, you done goofed. Evict her or move out.

Older whiskey, faster horses, younger women, and more money is always available.

26 Inf
02-28-16, 13:29
Not terribly important, but she was on her first shift back at the agency after leaving for a period of time.

platoonDaddy
02-28-16, 15:01
POS, from his picture, he looks like he is high.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-police-officer-killed-day-sworn-army-sergeant/story?id=37253791

SeriousStudent
02-28-16, 15:06
My thoughts and prayers are with Officer Guindon's family and friends, and also with those of the two wounded officers.

I am stunned that the murderer is a Marine. I hope that after Virginia is done with the death penalty, the Corps exhumes and hangs the corpse.

What a horrible, horrible tragedy. :(

platoonDaddy
02-28-16, 15:39
My thoughts and prayers are with Officer Guindon's family and friends, and also with those of the two wounded officers.

I am stunned that the murderer is a Marine. I hope that after Virginia is done with the death penalty, the Corps exhumes and hangs the corpse.

What a horrible, horrible tragedy. :(

He is Army and she was a Marine reservist.

SeriousStudent
02-28-16, 16:27
Thanks for the correction, I was just doing some more reading and saw that.

Bless her for her service, what a loss of a fine person. And on her first day of duty. :(

jpmuscle
02-28-16, 17:00
This sh*t just ****ing enrages me...

Voodoochild
02-28-16, 17:15
Audio from the shooting.

http://www.mnpoliceclips.com/audio-dale-city-va-domestic-shooting-leaving-multiple-officers-hit-22716.html

Firefly
02-28-16, 17:49
That radio traffic was very disheartening.
CNN is showing the Oscars and doing some bullshit poll.

It seems like they walked into an ambush and staff sergeant hero was too chickenshit to die and gave up when it started getting more real.

This is pretty infuriating. This loser will have his whole goddamn life to lift weights, eat good, catch up on his BET, and will be welcomed in gen pop for killing a white female cop.
And we get to pay for it.
Wee.

FlyingHunter
02-28-16, 18:24
CNN is showing the Oscars and doing some bullshit poll.

This won't make the mainstream media for more than a cursory moment, as the bad guy doesn't fit their narrative. Just like the nut job, Cedric Ford in Kansas City earlier this week.

Prayers up for the victims.

Eurodriver
02-28-16, 18:40
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10141362319#post1

Pretty rational responses considering...

Liberal's heads must be exploding. Black guy kills female police officer...who is the victim?!?!?

Mauser KAR98K
02-28-16, 18:40
This sh*t just ****ing enrages me...

That blood rushing to your eyes is you and us hanging by our toes as the world has gone upside down.

7.62NATO
02-28-16, 20:10
RIP, Marine. May the two wounded officers recover promptly, fully.

What long gun did the POS use? Perhaps an AR.

KalashniKEV
02-28-16, 20:11
He is Army and she was a Marine reservist.

Sad story about her father too...

http://www.suicide.org/memorials/david-guindon.html

Tech Sgt. David Guindon, 48, a New Hampshire Air Force National Guardsman, returned from the war in Iraq to a cheering crowd.

The next day, he shot himself in the head.

Firefly
02-28-16, 21:04
Yes, this nation's wars come at a high cost.

A nation that is constantly at war, and a populace armed to the teeth, inspired by violence from an early age, is a formula for death. As a society we will reap death, as our seeds will bear no other fruit.

......you seriously need to dope your scope. Like for real.

7.62NATO
02-28-16, 21:16
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd329/agent8698/Ashley%20Guindon%205_zpscwybrlw9.jpg

bighawk
02-28-16, 21:30
I read a report last night that said it was an AK type rifle.. I'll try to find it and post it later.

Wake27
02-28-16, 21:37
I read a report last night that said it was an AK type rifle.. I'll try to find it and post it later.

The ones I saw said AK too.

Moose-Knuckle
02-29-16, 03:00
This is pretty infuriating. This loser will have his whole goddamn life to lift weights, eat good, catch up on his BET, and will be welcomed in gen pop for killing a white female cop.
And we get to pay for it.
Wee.

#WhiteFemaleLivesMatter
#BlueLivesMatter

KalashniKEV
02-29-16, 09:04
...catch up on his BET... white female cop.

#WhiteFemaleLivesMatter

Interesting that you guys are on the race angle.

I've thus far seen no indication that race played a role in this crime, and from what I have read, I'd guess that if a black, hispanic, and asian cop tagged along with those who responded, he would have shot 6 cops instead of 3.

A sad story indeed, but keep your race cards pocketed on this one, gentlemen... it's embarrassing.

7.62NATO
02-29-16, 09:19

I've thus far seen no indication that race played a role in this crime, and from what I have read, I'd guess that if a black, hispanic, and asian cop tagged along with those who responded, he would have shot 6 cops instead of 3.

A sad story indeed, but keep your race cards pocketed on this one, gentlemen... it's embarrassing.

I'm with KEV on this one.

POS is due in court today.

So has the use of an AK been confirmed? 5.45 or 7.62?

Firefly
02-29-16, 09:36
Meh....there's a lot of inconvenient truths at play, Kev.

Seen it, done it, lived it. Everyone else (media, lawyers, et al) make race the issue. I just live with it.

Had the roles been reversed this would be getting more airtime. And if one has spent any amount of time in a correctional Institute (no not locked up) then if it isn't on a news channel in a common area; ot actually is BET.

We COULD play up the "disgruntled soldier" angle but I feel confident that it will come out that they were fighting over some baby mama bullshit.

I am sadly colored by my experience and am very cynical about certain things.
For the record, I have spent way more time helping the black community than the blacks who bitch so, I must respectfully stick to my guns.

ETA I can see the future. He'll plead not guilty. Play up a bizarre PTSD/temporary insanity/afraid of the police spiel. Defense will claim he reverted to his military instinct and warrior honed skillset in defense of his life IF it goes to trial. And even IF it gets to trial it'll be a year or two. Defense will likely cut a plea to get death off the table. And he'll get life. And he'll live 40 years plus on taxpayers backs.

The dead will still be dead. Nobody will care once the plea or deal is in.
I know guys who got killed down here at work. Nobody's gotten a death sentence yet.
Dead are still dead.

And nobody cares. Nobody is outraged .
Chik Fil A might... friends and family. The black band may go around badges a week or two.

But ultimately nobody, as in the people at large, won't care. There won't be a riot on the officers behalf. No hard questions ask. Just big talk and nothing more.

That's reality. Don't pretend it's not. That really is embarrassing. For no other reason than accepting the big lie.

PD Sgt.
02-29-16, 09:37

I am not arguing with you, nor am I attempting to speak for the others, but I imagine it is driven at least in part by the frustration of the main stream media's propensity to focus the narrative the other way in recent times.

My concern goes out to the victims and their families. This can happen to any of us on any given day, but it feels particularly grievous to lose an officer on their very first day. I can only imagine the feelings of the FTO, who even if everything was done as soundly as possible (and I do not know of any reason that is not the case) must endure the loss of an officer they were charged with training. Some days even the most proficient and experienced of us are killed by hoodlums, and nothing can be done to change the outcome. RIP

J-Dub
02-29-16, 09:37

I think the point they are getting at is if was the other way around, with a white cop shooting a black person, the individual's race would be included in the media headlines. Of course the script don't fit in this case, so the media is like "meh"...

KalashniKEV
02-29-16, 11:52
Had the roles been reversed this would be getting more airtime.

I think the point they are getting at is if was the other way around, with a white cop shooting a black person, the individual's race would be included in the media headlines. Of course the script don't fit in this case, so the media is like "meh"...

Yeah, the media is frequently involved in shameless race baiting.

So let's all be race-owned zombies always in search of the spin/angle/race card?

Sorry... it just doesn't compute for me.

It's perfectly analogous to the KKK rally thing last week- The "New Black Panther Party" was out during the last election and everyone just laughed and pointed.

So let's have Klan rallies, and when violence is incited, we can call blacks violent?

Here's an idea- let's not have New Black Panthers, New KKK, or putting a race-spin every single stupid thing that happens. And when people do, we will call them fools (...sounds like a much better idea than behaving like fools).

If for no other reason at all, out of respect for the fallen...

Firefly
02-29-16, 12:39
I think the KKK and BP are both losers.

I'm not hung up on race but the same stuff keeps poppping up.

Don't take a few throwaway lines of frustration think it is my thesis.

All I know is, and here is my thesis, that some shitstick gets zapped by the police. There are press conferences and this huge trail of tears and it gets oversaturated on the news. It doesn't matter which news. Arsenic, Strychnine, and Cyanide. Different names, ultimately same result. Some just affects you slower.

Okay and today some young person who, for better or worse, at least said "Hey, I give a damn and am signing up". Gets ambushed. And gets a short blurb, a little catechism of a speech "made a difference, loved the community, showed promise, blah blah blah".

Then it's back to the clown show for presidential election.

She could've ended up a sorry cop or probably someone really good. We'll never know.

Meanwhile it was senseless because Army Staff Sergeant 32 year old malePentagon worker (we'll leave race out of it) decides to start some shit and shoot people over it.

No reason for it. But she's dead and that's the life of police now. Meaningless and pointless.

Have some given the institution a bad name? Yep. Has there been a lot of piss poor leadership from tge US AG on down to podunk Boss Hogg? You betcha.

Is outrage a fairly poor waste of time? Probably. But I just want someone high profile to say something and for people to care. A lot of guys are just working stiffs. Underpaid, overworked, tired, and the brotherhood isn't there.

I mean I feel a lot less like Archie Bunker right now and more like Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill where she screams "It makes me so fvcking mad, so fvcking pissed off it's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair."
In that song she sings I can't recall. Boy Genius I think.(actually it was Rest in Pissed Offedness)

That's just where I am at whether it makes sense or not.

7.62NATO
02-29-16, 12:47
Well, well, what do we have here...

During the second hearing, Prince William County prosecutor Paul Ebert said Hamilton, who was stationed at the Pentagon, had a previous conviction for assault in either South Carolina or Tennessee in 2007.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/no-bond-for-man-accused-of-fatally-shooting-his-wife-in-prince-william/2016/02/29/b01b81e0-de70-11e5-846c-10191d1fc4ec_story.html

Individuals convicted of violent misdemeanors must lose their privilege to possess firearms. The gun control advocates are right on this.

jpmuscle
02-29-16, 13:27
Simple assault, agg assault?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TAZ
02-29-16, 14:24

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/no-bond-for-man-accused-of-fatally-shooting-his-wife-in-prince-william/2016/02/29/b01b81e0-de70-11e5-846c-10191d1fc4ec_story.html

Individuals convicted of violent misdemeanors must lose their privilege to possess firearms. The gun control advocates are right on this.

I agree 100% that those who have show a lack of self control and get convicted of a violent crime should not be allowed to own guns. However, IMO it's not a lack of laws that is the root cause for this guy having a gun, but rather a lack of nut sack from the legal system to punish him accordingly. Why is a violent criminal not behind bars? Why is a violent criminal allowed to wear a uniform, much less serve at the pentagon?

Wonder what the conviction was for. I'll wager domestic and some asshole prosecutor plead it down to pad their stats.

Moose-Knuckle
02-29-16, 16:17

No, no that just makes too much sense J-Dub. Anyone that asserts such things must be a "Nazi" from "Stormfront".

Endur
02-29-16, 16:32
R.I.P. to the fallen officer.

Scumbag soldier is a disgrace to all who have worn the uniform and all who still do.

SteyrAUG
02-29-16, 16:40
Glad to see the Pentagon is competently vetting their people so they don't end up with a cop killer on the team.

KalashniKEV
02-29-16, 21:22
So if my neighbor to the right blows his leaves in my yard, it's OK because it's covering up where my neighbor to the left lets his dog shit in my yard???

Absolutely not. Unacceptable.

Racebaiting needs to be called out, and the perpetrators shamed.

Every.Single.Time.

...a lack of nut sack from the legal system to punish him accordingly. Why is a violent criminal not behind bars? Why is a violent criminal allowed to wear a uniform, much less serve at the pentagon?

Wonder what the conviction was for. I'll wager domestic and some asshole prosecutor plead it down to pad their stats.

Seems relatively minor:

...aggravated assault after pulling a handgun on a man during a dispute in a parking lot in Tennessee, according to charging documents.

The victim in that case confronted Hamilton because he thought that Hamilton had driven too close to his girlfriend in the parking lot, according to the documents. A shouting match ensued, and Hamilton allegedly retrieved a handgun from his car.

If it were me and I plead down, I'd expect less than brandishing... unless there was pistol whipping involved.

Glad to see the Pentagon is competently vetting their people so they don't end up with a cop killer on the team.

The Pentagon is the headquarters of the world's largest single employer, and it also the world's largest single building.

Their blotter report is impressive.

This kind of stuff happens all the time, you just don't hear about it. Not long ago there was a Marine assigned to Arlington National Cemetery that had three rapes and a murder over a few years catch up to him.

Hell... A few years ago, the 10th Sergeant Major of the Army ran a dude over (like... under the car) when he tried to snap a pic of his plate. I'm sure he was competently vetted.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-29-16, 21:26

Are you effing kidding me?

7.62NATO
02-29-16, 21:41
Are you effing kidding me?

No. Those convicted in a court of law of violent misdemeanors lose their rights, including the 2A RKBA. And while we are at it, let's mandate comprehensive UBCs to ensure we're keeping guns away from the bad guys.

KalashniKEV
02-29-16, 21:49
...let's mandate comprehensive UBCs to ensure we're keeping guns away from the bad guys.

I'm with you on that so long as it's a passive check, i.e. back of the license says:

Organ Donor YES/NO
Sex Offender YES/NO
No Fly List YES/NO
Voting YES/NO
Firearm Possession YES/NO
CCW YES/NO

Make it look standard like "nutrition facts," put it on the back of every state ID card and license.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-29-16, 22:22
No. Those convicted in a court of law of violent misdemeanors lose their rights, including the 2A RKBA. And while we are at it, let's mandate comprehensive UBCs to ensure we're keeping guns away from the bad guys.

We'll see....

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/02/29/clarence_thomas_asked_a_question_from_the_bench_to_defend_gun_rights.html

Eisenstein retorted that individuals who have previously battered spouses have an exponentially higher risk of injuring their spouse with a firearm in the future. But Thomas dug in, asking whether any other law indefinitely suspended an individual’s constitutional rights for recklessly committing a crime. What if “a publisher is reckless about the use of children in what could be indecent displays?” he asked. Could the government “suspend this publisher’s right to ever publish again?” Is suspending First Amendment rights substantively different from suspending Second Amendment rights?

A narrow distinction in this case that splits between reckless versus knowingly or intentionally, but a bigger interesting issue. Get a DUI and the govt can take away your right to ever drive or leave the house if you repeatedly drunk drive. Repeat drunk drivers kill way more people than domestic abusers with guns. Wouldn't that be a good way to save even one life?

7.62NATO, you've been a few grains short of a full load lately. Maybe you are jealous of KEVs attention lately.

SteyrAUG
02-29-16, 23:49
The Pentagon is the headquarters of the world's largest single employer, and it also the world's largest single building.

Their blotter report is impressive.

This kind of stuff happens all the time, you just don't hear about it. Not long ago there was a Marine assigned to Arlington National Cemetery that had three rapes and a murder over a few years catch up to him.

Hell... A few years ago, the 10th Sergeant Major of the Army ran a dude over (like... under the car) when he tried to snap a pic of his plate. I'm sure he was competently vetted.

Those examples are not acceptable either.

Sensei
02-29-16, 23:56
We'll see....

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/02/29/clarence_thomas_asked_a_question_from_the_bench_to_defend_gun_rights.html

A narrow distinction in this case that splits between reckless versus knowingly or intentionally, but a bigger interesting issue. Get a DUI and the govt can take away your right to ever drive or leave the house if you repeatedly drunk drive. Repeat drunk drivers kill way more people than domestic abusers with guns. Wouldn't that be a good way to save even one life?

7.62NATO, you've been a few grains short of a full load lately. Maybe you are jealous of KEVs attention lately.

There is no such thing as a right to drive. Driving is privilege that is controlled by the state.

Endur
03-01-16, 00:03
Those behind the agenda are winning. Just look at particular members here lately. It is becoming discouraging.

MountainRaven
03-01-16, 00:07
There is no such thing as a right to drive. Driving is privilege that is controlled by the state.

Correction: Driving on roads maintained by the government is a privilege controlled by the state. Operating motor vehicles on private property is not regulated by the state (this is how some people can operate tanks, race/track cars, and other vehicles that are not road legal - further, there are some vehicles which are legal to drive on roads maintained by state and local governments - like tractors - that are illegal to operate on interstates, where maintenance may be carried out by local and state organizations, but are paid for by the feds).

Moose-Knuckle
03-01-16, 04:04
Those behind the agenda are winning. Just look at particular members here lately. It is becoming discouraging.

Marxist rhetoric permeates through every facet of our society. Most lemmings who espouse it don't even realize from where the tripe they regurgitate originates.

If your not familiar with terms such as topic dilution, forum sliding, consensus cracking, anger trolling, information collection, etc. you might want to look those up.

Same for the Twenty-Five Rules of Disinformation, the Eight Traits of the Disinformationalist, and the Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression.

platoonDaddy
03-01-16, 04:43

We went through that here in MD, when the governor was in the process of banning certain firearms, magazine limit etc, we were unable to get the majority of hunters to assist. How friggin sad.

7.62NATO
03-01-16, 06:24
Simple assault, agg assault?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agg. assault.

In 2006, Hamilton was charged with aggravated assault after pulling a handgun on a man during a dispute in a parking lot in Tennessee, according to charging documents.

The victim in that case confronted Hamilton because he thought that Hamilton had driven too close to his girlfriend in the parking lot, according to the documents. A shouting match ensued, and Hamilton allegedly retrieved a handgun from his car.

KalashniKEV
03-01-16, 10:15
Those examples are not acceptable either.

No unlawful behavior is "acceptable" to any organization.

The point is folks saying, "OMGosh... a hard working, high achieving person from the hallowed halls of the Pentagon!" because they don't know anyone who works in the Pentagon.

The truth is that not a whole lot of the folks in there are particularly sharp, and quite a few are straight-up dim witted. The smartest ones in there spend 80% of their energy playing Game of Thrones/ High School Gossip/ Cool Kids Club and never get anything accomplished.

In fact, the most glorious thing is to watch their well-laid plans be destroyed by some nobody from one of the COCOMs or some random corner of the Army.

One tip... don't just mute the mic, but get off camera when this happens- you can get in serious trouble for rolling on the floor, pants pissing, can't breathe laughing at some Colonel getting his booty hole destroyed on a secure VTC in front of the entire United States Army, worldwide.

Wrong.

“The right of a citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon in the ordinary course of life and business is a common right which he has under his right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property, and to pursue happiness and safety. It includes the right in so doing to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day; and under the existing modes of travel includes the right to drive a horse-drawn carriage or wagon thereon, or to operate an automobile thereon, for the usual and ordinary purposes of life and business. It is not a mere privilege, like the privilege of moving a house in the street, operating a business stand in the street, or transporting persons or property for hire along the street, which a city may permit or prohibit at will.”

Firefly
03-01-16, 10:51
Driving is a "Qualified Right". Not a privilege.
However, any roads maintained by the government are subject to taxation and licensing which has reciprocity. I'm sure someone else can articulate it better but while you have a right to drive, the act is ultimately trumped by the location.

FWIW anytime I ever heard some young guy in a campaign hat screeching "DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT! " at a checkpoint because some guy coming home from a long day at work decided to turn around and find a detour I turbofacepalmed.

Anyway....none of that brings that girl cop back from the dead.

We all want to think everyone in military le whatever is someone of decent wortj but....no. That's naive.

I admit, I try to be optimistic and see the good in people, but I practice my quick draw everyday nonetheless

SteyrAUG
03-01-16, 14:25
No unlawful behavior is "acceptable" to any organization.

The point is folks saying, "OMGosh... a hard working, high achieving person from the hallowed halls of the Pentagon!" because they don't know anyone who works in the Pentagon.

The truth is that not a whole lot of the folks in there are particularly sharp, and quite a few are straight-up dim witted. The smartest ones in there spend 80% of their energy playing Game of Thrones/ High School Gossip/ Cool Kids Club and never get anything accomplished.

In fact, the most glorious thing is to watch their well-laid plans be destroyed by some nobody from one of the COCOMs or some random corner of the Army.

One tip... don't just mute the mic, but get off camera when this happens- you can get in serious trouble for rolling on the floor, pants pissing, can't breathe laughing at some Colonel getting his booty hole destroyed on a secure VTC in front of the entire United States Army, worldwide.

I didn't make my point very well. I think some things should be reserved for the best of the best, and if they are doing stupid shit when they get there, well they weren't really the best and need to move on to something else.

It's a lot like being surprised by all the bullshit, waste and deception in Congress. Except most of us are acclimated to all the bullshit in Congress. But because we don't read similar accounts of those in the Pentagon, some of us (me) are still caught off guard when it turns out to be just another government bureaucracy where politics remains the name of the game.

When it comes to the Pentagon, Arlington, Walther Reed and places like that, I still have a higher expectation even if it is not practical to do so. I know I'm naive, but I still think there are places that should be above, or immune, to this kind of nonsense.