PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 223 Die Creasing 75gr Hornady

Vegas
02-29-16, 04:43
I have been loading 55gr projectiles on my Dillon 550B with no issues. In the last week I switched to loading some 75gr Hornady Match for some extra distance. No matter how I adjust the die, it leaves a crease on the ogive, probably about half way up. I also have a turret press that I use as a single stage so I switched the RCBS die over to the Dillon. Bullet loaded fine, no marking whatsoever. Anyone have any experience of this or is this a known issue?

Thanks for any insight.

markm
02-29-16, 08:44
Sounds like excessive neck tension. Can you feel more resistance when seating these? Feel can be tough on a 550b due to the large size of the press.

T2C
02-29-16, 09:56
The bullet seating stem on the RCBS die may not be compatible with the 75g Hornady bullet. Compare the shapes of the 55g and 75g projectiles with the seating stem and that may point to what is causing the crease.

markm
02-29-16, 10:06
I think the RCBS is working for him... it's the Dillon die that's scoring the ogive. No?

T2C
02-29-16, 10:57
I think the RCBS is working for him... it's the Dillon die that's scoring the ogive. No?

I stand corrected.

The RCBS seating stem appears to be more compatible with the Hornady 75g Match bullet than the Dillon seating die.

I have a RL550B, but I do not have any Dillon Precision rifle dies. I use RCBS rifle dies for reloading.

markm
02-29-16, 11:55
I use one of the micrometer dies since I'm switching bullets all the time. Forster or Redding. I've never had any issues with any bullet shapes.

Vegas
02-29-16, 12:33
I never considered the neck tension because of the RCBS die seating with no ill effect. The Redding die sounds interesting. I'm a tinkerer by nature so might be useful to have.

On a side note, I think I finally found a load the 75gr likes. Best group yesterday was .57" at 100. I had 3 groups of 5 with the creased bullets and they ranged from just over an inch to 1.5".

markm
02-29-16, 14:28
The Redding die sounds interesting. I'm a tinkerer by nature so might be useful to have.

I couldn't do without it. It's so nice to be able to tune seating depth on the fly.

Vegas
02-29-16, 17:05
I couldn't do without it. It's so nice to be able to tune seating depth on the fly.

I'm still playing with different bullets. I have yet to mess with 69 and 77 SMK's and the Nosler Custom 77's. It sucks to waste time and money dealing with a part that doesn't do what you need. I guess we learn the hard way sometimes.

Related to this, last week at 21.2gr H335, I was around 2535fps and around MOA for an average 5 round group. This weeks load at 21.8gr H335 was at 2580fps, average group .75MOA. If my ultimate goal is a 500-600 yard round that is a consistent performer, would you settle for that accuracy and fps? Or would you have a target velocity in mind for the longer distances?

ETA:
Everyone likes pictures, from yesterday.
http://i.imgur.com/nYSePM5.jpg

markm
02-29-16, 17:31
What length of barrel? My gut reaction is why run H335 with good bullets? That stuff is nasty, flashy stuff.

Vegas
02-29-16, 17:48
16" BCM SS410. I started using H335 when I moved to the Dillon for 223. It was one of the only ball powders readily available locally. TAC did OK but could never be found. I have a pound of CFE223 to try as well. What have you been using for your precision loads?

markm
02-29-16, 17:55
H322 and XBR. If you were my neighbor, I'd give you some TAC.

Vegas
02-29-16, 18:21
Tells me what I need to know about TAC. AZ right? We basically are neighbors. I'll check those powders out, thanks for the info.

Kansaswoodguy
02-29-16, 19:45
I have a Redding competition seating die that leaves a ring/crease on that same bullet also. I considered taking it apart and polishing the inside edge of the seating stem. I never noticed it hurting accuracy so I never got around to polishing it. It has gotten less sharp with use and I no longer even notice it any more but that is after a couple thousand rounds loaded. Powders for the 75's my favorite is IMR8208 XBR I also like IMR 4895 but it may not meter the best in your Dillon same with Varget. I've just started playing with CFE 223 and haven't nailed down a low SD load yet but it shows promise maybe a good choice if XBR is unavailable.

Kansaswoodguy
02-29-16, 20:05
I missed your range requirement 2500fps with 75's match will get you to 700yards. With 75 Max bullets at 2500fps I can make it to 900yards but I have to single load those and who wants to single load an AR.

Vegas
02-29-16, 21:55
I missed your range requirement 2500fps with 75's match will get you to 700yards. With 75 Max bullets at 2500fps I can make it to 900yards but I have to single load those and who wants to single load an AR.
Hey Kansas, great info, thanks. I'm not much of a single loader :) I managed to find a local store that stocks XBR so I think that is my next move. I shoot in the dead of summer in all temps here so the temp insensitivity is perfect for me. I'll save the H335 for 55gr and shorter distance steel.

T2C
03-01-16, 10:03
I use one of the micrometer dies since I'm switching bullets all the time. Forster or Redding. I've never had any issues with any bullet shapes.

I started using a RCBS micrometer die for reloading 9mm match ammunition and it made a noticeable difference in consistency of C.O.L. I've never fired a .223 beyond 600 yards with a semi-automatic rifle and I got away with using a RCBS standard seating die.

Vegas
03-03-16, 01:12
If I was to load just the one type of bullet, I would stay with the RCBS that I switched to for sure. I'm going to drop an email to Dillon though to see what their input is on the 75gr.

taliv
03-03-16, 07:49
their pistol dies have a reversible seater stem where you can flip it around for round nose vs JHP. it would be cool if their rifle dies had a similar option for different ogives

mark5pt56
03-03-16, 10:45
Try some H4895 with those 75's. My Tikka loves them and screaming at 2900(24"). Wee bit slower though with the semi at 2700. Work up! RCBS die set, no ring from seating. I had this with a Wilson chamber die and .260 once, Berger 140 Hybrids and the same with .308 and compressed loads. I've heard of people getting a VLD stem.

Ttwwaack
03-05-16, 00:02
Check/clean your Dillon seating stem. While it is out, check to see if it is deep enough and the die is not tip loading the end of the bullet and wobbling around. Alot of older die set before the introduction of .224 heavies (70+) are shallow. I had to chuck up an old RCBS die for that reason. Discovered it when I rolled some cartridges on the bench and I could see the runout was .004+. I just drilled it deeper so and 80 would contact lower on the ojive, polished it and was gtg. Other thing to check is sticky necks and neck tension as Markm mentioned.

Vegas
03-06-16, 21:33
Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: just got a response from Dillon, 3/7/16

75 grain bullets have a different nose profile and angle than all other bullets.* Please send your address (back with this email) we'll modify a seat stem and mail it to you

Thank you!

Dillon Precision Products, Inc.

T2C
03-07-16, 10:39
Get on the Dillon Forum and search for someone with a similar experience. https://www.dillonprecision.com/forum.html

Vegas
03-07-16, 15:33
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Just curious, for the larger projectiles, what is a typically used case trim length? I had some other issues last night with the bullet getting seated off center and slightly deformed at the tip. When I measured the case, it was slightly over 1.76 and the neck was compressed down on one side slightly. Thoughts on if that is the cause or something else going on?

Thanks

T2C
03-07-16, 19:59
It could be that the shoulder of the case is not supported during bullet seating. This is why I use RCBS dies with a separate adjustment for bullet seating depth. First you set the die body, then the seating depth versus dies that only have one adjustment.

Vegas
03-07-16, 23:59
The die in question was an RCBS seating die. I loaded some more tonight and it seems like any case that I had issues with was around 1.758 or longer.