PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with insight into the new FN-15 Competition, and if it stacks up to a JP?

NervousEnergy
02-29-16, 11:49
New poster here... spent most of the weekend reviewing threads here researching an AR for gaming, and I'd love some input/advice on a couple of options.

I'm new to the AR platform, but I've been doing action pistol for several months and am having a blast (IDPA and USPSA). Several of the local clubs here put on 2 gun and 3 gun matches (mostly 2 gun - pistol/rifle, since the same bays can be used), and I went through a few stages with a club members JP SCR-11 and loved it. I've got a decent budget for a rifle and don't want to build one, and I don't want to waste money on a base model just to 'try it out'... I want to play. It'll be many moons before I'm really competitive, but I'm willing to invest in a good tool to start with and grow into it.

Even with a good budget a JP is really pushing it, though. I can get a JP-15 for $2200 which is the outer edge of my budget (and leaving money for glass), but the lead time is also 8-10 weeks. My LGS got one of the new FN-15 Competition rifles in and I got to spend 10 minutes with it... feels great in the hand, though I'm not a fan of the blue anodizing. Fantastic Timney trigger. It's also a good $300 less.

I really enjoyed how little recoil the JP had, and I'm curious if anyone knows how well the FN would compare in this area. Very few 2 gun carbine matches here feature long ranges, so putting a tight group at 500 yards isn't a priority. Speed and follow-up shots are. I was also considering the Stag 3G as a lower-end option, but they're having issues these days. Still may be viable.

FN has a good quality reputation and the gun feels wonderful, but there's virtually no information on it. No online reviews, nothing. Does it feature a low-mass carrier for lower recoil? Comp work well? Any other competition rifles that shoot soft and flat I should be looking at without building, or should I stop wasting time and get the JP build queue?

TomMcC
02-29-16, 16:14
I don't have any first hand info on the FN-15, but I know a few guys with JP's and they are very nice, but too heavy for my taste. I like a light gun, my 18" with an 1-4 MTAC weighs 7.0 lbs. and I'm liking that A LOT! Lots and lots of guys build their own 3gun rifles so it's exactly what they want, I know you've ruled that out, but you might reconsider it.

Back to the FN, it looks like a good rifle from the specs. You would more than likely do just fine with it. I don't think it comes with a lighten BCG.

NervousEnergy
02-29-16, 19:27
Thanks for the response. Had another guy at the club point out that the FN-15 Competition is nearly identical to the Colt Competition CRP-18, and that rifle is typically $300 less, lighter (7.2 lbs) and, well, a Colt. Very well reviewed as well. Unfortunately it's also sold out pretty much everywhere, unlike the FN. That alone kind of says something.

Guess I'll wait.

OrbitalE
02-29-16, 22:55
You should be able to build something with an 18" barrel that weighs ~5-5.5lbs without optics for $1500-2000 depending on how crazy you get. I typically stick with a lighter profile barrel - strings of fire aren't that long that you'd need the mass of a bull/target barrel - which is where a lot of the weight savings comes from. I guess it depends on whether or not you want something out of the box or not.

GH41
03-01-16, 06:39
BCM lower from grant with A5, furniture and SD3G + BCM 410/15" KMR upper with BCG and Ambi CH= $1,600. Maybe add a top shelf brake for $150. You're under budget and the rifle in my opinion will be superior in every way compared to the other two. 99% of the people shooting 3 Gun couldn't outrun this rifle! Best if all it wouldn't be labeled a competition rifle.

TomMcC
03-01-16, 10:39
The problem with most ready built comp rifles is that something usually isn't quite what you want in the end. This isn't a slam on the rifle companies, they have to choose parts they think are relevant. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but comp rifles seem to be even more personal than rifles for more serious purposes (and these are pretty personal).

jstalford
03-01-16, 14:14
BCM lower from grant with A5, furniture and SD3G + BCM 410/15" KMR upper with BCG and Ambi CH= $1,600. Maybe add a top shelf brake for $150. You're under budget and the rifle in my opinion will be superior in every way compared to the other two. 99% of the people shooting 3 Gun couldn't outrun this rifle! Best if all it wouldn't be labeled a competition rifle.

This is what I would do and came to recommend.

Fwiw, Colt competition guns are not made by Colt and do not carry the same reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nick954
03-02-16, 06:51
You should be able to build something with an 18" barrel that weighs ~5-5.5lbs without optics for $1500-2000 depending on how crazy you get. I typically stick with a lighter profile barrel - strings of fire aren't that long that you'd need the mass of a bull/target barrel - which is where a lot of the weight savings comes from. I guess it depends on whether or not you want something out of the box or not.

I agree it's better to build your own. I am building a superlight 16" three gun. Should be around 5 pounds.

Battle arms stripped upper and lower set 13oz.
Falcon pencil barrel 19oz
BCM KMR magnesium alloy 8oz
JP lmos and silent buffer
Pri comp.
Hiperfire trigger

I live in Florida so average range is 100 yards. I'm buying parts and having a gunsmith supervise my build. The build is going to be under $2500.