PDA

View Full Version : Sig vs FN vs Glock

hbrogers
02-29-16, 11:58
I'll start off by saying that I'm not the most experienced shooter and lack a lot of knowledge about guns, so hopefully I'm in the right place to get some help that will assist me in making an informed decision. I currently own an FNX9 and am considering switching to a new gun because of the lack of aftermarket support for the FNX9 and the cost of what it would take to get the gun to where I want it to be. Three current options I'm considering are listed below. Ultimately, I want a compact, suppressed 9mm that is accurate, reliable, and will be a good choice for home defense. Please let me know the pros and cons of my choices and if I've left anything out.

Option 1: Most expensive route, but I love the way this gun shoots. That could be because the only other handgun I've owned was a S&W Sigma 40VE.

FNX9
threaded barrel - EFK Firedragon
red dot - Deltapoint, RMR, Sig Romeo 1?
milled slide - L&M Precision

Option 2: This option is the most intriguing because of the ability to change configurations (caliber, frame size, etc...).

Sig P320C RX (I know this gun isn't out yet. I'm not in a rush to purchase, so I can wait if it isn't too long of a wait)
- already comes with the Romeo 1 mounted
threaded barrel - Sig or are there any other options?
trigger upgrade - Apex

Option 3 I know people love Glocks, but I hate to get something that everyone else has. On the upside, they're reliable and tons of options on what I can do with it.

Glock 19 MOS
threaded barrel - Alpha Wolf or Lone Wolf (not sure about difference between the two)

Uprange41
02-29-16, 12:20
It really doesn't matter, pick one and shoot the shit out of it.

Between the three, preference is the biggest factor. And aftermarket support, which, if that's critical to you, then the 19 is the obvious pick.

And for Alpha vs. Lone Wolf, the AW barrels are US-made and are Nitrided. The LW barrels are made elsewhere, and are either stainless or stainless with an oxide finish. Or that's the only difference I found when I looked at them recently.

hbrogers
02-29-16, 16:33
You know anything about the differences between the G19 and P320?

OhioFinance
02-29-16, 16:59
You know anything about the differences between the G19 and P320?

Can you be more specific? What would you like to know? Have both. First, there is no fixed date for the RX release, the Apex trigger for the P320 does nothing unless you have a specific issue from the factory trigger (it doesn't change the trigger dynamics, etc). The glock is smaller. As far as I know, or at least a few months ago, Sig is the only game in town for a threaded barrel for the P320. Also, there is a fairly large gap in price of the optics you listed. The Sig is close the half the price of a new Deltapoint Pro or RMR and I believe the Sig is produced by Holosun. The Glock MOS currently has a slim crop of iron sights that will work with it due to the mounting plate. So if you have specific sights you like, just mill a regular G19.

WillBrink
02-29-16, 17:26
I'll start off by saying that I'm not the most experienced shooter and lack a lot of knowledge about guns, so hopefully I'm in the right place to get some help that will assist me in making an informed decision. I currently own an FNX9 and am considering switching to a new gun because of the lack of aftermarket support for the FNX9 and the cost of what it would take to get the gun to where I want it to be. Three current options I'm considering are listed below. Ultimately, I want a compact, suppressed 9mm that is accurate, reliable, and will be a good choice for home defense. Please let me know the pros and cons of my choices and if I've left anything out.

Option 1: Most expensive route, but I love the way this gun shoots. That could be because the only other handgun I've owned was a S&W Sigma 40VE.

FNX9
threaded barrel - EFK Firedragon
milled slide - L&M Precision

Option 2: This option is the most intriguing because of the ability to change configurations (caliber, frame size, etc...).

Sig P320C RX (I know this gun isn't out yet. I'm not in a rush to purchase, so I can wait if it isn't too long of a wait)
- already comes with the Romeo 1 mounted
threaded barrel - Sig or are there any other options?
trigger upgrade - Apex

Option 3 I know people love Glocks, but I hate to get something that everyone else has. On the upside, they're reliable and tons of options on what I can do with it.

Glock 19 MOS
threaded barrel - Alpha Wolf or Lone Wolf (not sure about difference between the two)

Without more info, if aftermarket support is the key issue, than the Glock seems a no brainer. Sig, I don't care who makes the gun, I don't beta test/buy first gen guns that will be used for SD/HD, so that's out if it were my list. I'm happy to let someone else who has to have latest and greatest toy to ring out any design or QC issues with a new design.

If you already have the FN and like it, than I'd day stick with that, and drive on. People generally speak well of the FNX line, and my limited experience with them didn't leave wanting to change pistols personally, but don't hear anything negative about them either. FN does not seem to put much marketing effort into their pistols as others do, so not as well known and accepted as some others, but they seem GTG.

I'd highly recommend shooting the 19 before dumping the FN for the added after market support as Glocks seem to be a "love em or hate em" kinda pistol in terms of factors such as ergos, trigger, etc.

hbrogers
02-29-16, 17:47
Can you be more specific? What would you like to know? Have both. First, there is no fixed date for the RX release, the Apex trigger for the P320 does nothing unless you have a specific issue from the factory trigger (it doesn't change the trigger dynamics, etc). The glock is smaller. As far as I know, or at least a few months ago, Sig is the only game in town for a threaded barrel for the P320. Also, there is a fairly large gap in price of the optics you listed. The Sig is close the half the price of a new Deltapoint Pro or RMR and I believe the Sig is produced by Holosun. The Glock MOS currently has a slim crop of iron sights that will work with it due to the mounting plate. So if you have specific sights you like, just mill a regular G19.

As for differences, how about ease maintenance, trigger, materials of gun. I thought I read that the Apex trigger allowed for more leverage and was more comfortable than the stock trigger.

In regard to optics, any idea if the Sig sight will be close to the quality and features as the more expensive and well known optics? I'm not familiar with Holosun; care to fill me in?

Since you have both, which do you prefer and why?

jstalford
02-29-16, 17:53
If you like what you have, I would stick with that. I have bounced around guns and am not any happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tequila45
02-29-16, 18:21
With those three options your dumping money into each gun no matter what. I'm on the same boat as everyone else, if it feels good shoot it. Let me ask you this though, you ever shot an rmr'd gun? How do you know you would like it? If you mill the fnx and don't like it, I bet it will be hard to find a buyer without losing a lot of money. If your really itching for a rmr or other optic either the 19 mos or a milled 19.

Keep the fnx for your sd house gun and the glock to mod

hbrogers
02-29-16, 19:20
Without more info, if aftermarket support is the key issue, than the Glock seems a no brainer. Sig, I don't care who makes the gun, I don't beta test/buy first gen guns that will be used for SD/HD, so that's out if it were my list. I'm happy to let someone else who has to have latest and greatest toy to ring out any design or QC issues with a new design.

If you already have the FN and like it, than I'd day stick with that, and drive on. People generally speak well of the FNX line, and my limited experience with them didn't leave wanting to change pistols personally, but don't hear anything negative about them either. FN does not seem to put much marketing effort into their pistols as others do, so not as well known and accepted as some others, but they seem GTG.

I'd highly recommend shooting the 19 before dumping the FN for the added after market support as Glocks seem to be a "love em or hate em" kinda pistol in terms of factors such as ergos, trigger, etc.

I guess the only thing aftermarket I'd want is a threaded barrel; poor choice of words on my part. The extended magazines for Glocks would be fun, but that's definitely not a deciding factor but rather an added bonus.

Good point about the maybe letting the kinks get worked out of the P320 before putting my money into it. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for your input.

hbrogers
02-29-16, 19:26
With those three options your dumping money into each gun no matter what. I'm on the same boat as everyone else, if it feels good shoot it. Let me ask you this though, you ever shot an rmr'd gun? How do you know you would like it? If you mill the fnx and don't like it, I bet it will be hard to find a buyer without losing a lot of money. If your really itching for a rmr or other optic either the 19 mos or a milled 19.

Keep the fnx for your sd house gun and the glock to mod

Great point about the having the FNX slide milled and then having difficulty getting rid of it if I don't like it. I have not shot an rmr'd gun before and don't really have a way to test one out before making a purchase. Kind of why I thought the G19 MOS or P320 RX would be a good choice since they would come like that and be easier to sell if needed/wanted.

As much as I'd like to keep the FNX, it will have to be sold for the new gun purchase or to put to the cost of the suppressor (Osprey 45K).

okie john
02-29-16, 20:13
Your original post has this line:

Ultimately, I want a compact, suppressed 9mm that is accurate, reliable, and will be a good choice for home defense.

which says nothing about an RMR.

You also say that you haven't shot a pistol with an RMR before and that you probably won't before you start this project. All the guns you mentioned do an excellent job of meeting your criteria out of the box, but the RMR is the complicating factor. For one thing, it sounds like you've already decided to go with an RMR despite never having tried one. There are a number of problems with the RMR-equipped pistol. Perhaps the biggest is that a LOT of very experienced shooters (including Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers) have tried it and found it wanting, especially at speed up close, which is probably the kind of shooting you're most likely to encounter in an HD situation.

The RMR is the biggest single expense associated with this project, so why not add a threaded barrel, a suppressor, and suppressor sights to your FNX, then shoot that setup for a while? That way you could establish baselines on standard drills like the FAST, El Presidente, The Test, The Humbler, the Mozambique, etc. THEN if you can get your hands on a pistol with an RMR, you’ll be able to see pretty quickly whether it helps you or not.

I’m guessing that you’ll probably opt to go without it for the long haul.

Okie John

teutonicpolymer
02-29-16, 20:25
A lot of people are complaining about the Glock MOS system

I have to ask, why are you considering only compacts?

I would go full sized unless you plan on concealed carry but I'm not sure I would use an RDS on a CCW

okie john
02-29-16, 20:32

Another excellent question. It will be anything but compact once you add the can, so a full-sized pistol makes a lot of sense.

Okie John

hbrogers
02-29-16, 20:47
Your original post has this line:

which says nothing about an RMR.

You also say that you haven't shot a pistol with an RMR before and that you probably won't before you start this project. All the guns you mentioned do an excellent job of meeting your criteria out of the box, but the RMR is the complicating factor. For one thing, it sounds like you've already decided to go with an RMR despite never having tried one. There are a number of problems with the RMR-equipped pistol. Perhaps the biggest is that a LOT of very experienced shooters (including Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers) have tried it and found it wanting, especially at speed up close, which is probably the kind of shooting you're most likely to encounter in an HD situation.

The RMR is the biggest single expense associated with this project, so why not add a threaded barrel, a suppressor, and suppressor sights to your FNX, then shoot that setup for a while? That way you could establish baselines on standard drills like the FAST, El Presidente, The Test, The Humbler, the Mozambique, etc. THEN if you can get your hands on a pistol with an RMR, you’ll be able to see pretty quickly whether it helps you or not.

I’m guessing that you’ll probably opt to go without it for the long haul.

Okie John

I got in a hurry and left that red dot part out in my description of what I was looking for, but that is something I'm interested in. And I guess I'm interested in it because some of the things I've read about them. I'm sure they're are people that find pistols with red dots appealing and others that don't like them. You make a good point though, so I'll read up a bit fore on them and go from there.

Yes, it is the biggest expense, but is a lot cheaper to go the P320 RX route whenever it becomes available. The threaded barrel is cheaper for the P320 and the P320 comes with raised sights if I'm not mistaken, so I was considering that for the cost saving aspect. Another good thing about the P320 RX is I could always sell the red dot if I did not like it.

I'm contacting a local instructor about private lessons and hope to learn appropriate skills and proper techniques. Hopefully he'll cover the drills you are talking about.

hbrogers
02-29-16, 20:50
A lot of people are complaining about the Glock MOS system

I would go full sized unless you plan on concealed carry but I'm not sure I would use an RDS on a CCW

I'm considering a compact for the ability to use as a concealed carry if needed. And the RDS can always be taken off if I'm wanted to use it as a concealed carry.

hbrogers
02-29-16, 20:52
Another excellent question. It will be anything but compact once you add the can, so a full-sized pistol makes a lot of sense.

Okie John

What are some of the benefits of having a full size? I know the P320 can easily be converted between sizes which is why it was more appealing to me than the others.

jstalford
02-29-16, 22:38
I think the amount you're saving is going to be small in the long run over the life of the pistol. Plus you should subtract the money you're losing on the sale vs. the initial purchase price of the fnx and mags from any savings.

I don't think it should be money based at all. You have something you like. I would shoot a p320 and see if you like it better. If you honestly do, fine. If not. Stick it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K1tt3n5
03-01-16, 01:10
I wouldn't get an mos Glock. You're better off sending it to a company like atei, fowler, fire 4 effect or dp. I would also go with a sico, s3f, fowler or blacklist industries barrel.

noonesshowmonkey
03-01-16, 07:38
If you have a good firearm that you are comfortable with, looking elsewhere for an edge or something new is not going to make you any better as a shooter. If you want to collect, then fine. If you want to be a shooter, spend that time and money on dry fire and live practice. If you can afford to collect AND shoot, luck you. Go for it.

All of that said, there is no turnkey in the handgun world quite like the glock 19. You can accomplish everything you listed most easily and cheaply with a glock.

okie john
03-01-16, 09:05
Based on your last several responses, I get the idea you’re looking for an all-around pistol. Fortunately, you have a ton of excellent choices, including your FNX, the Glock 19, M&P Compact, or whatever SIG 320 is about the same size as the others.

I'm contacting a local instructor about private lessons and hope to learn appropriate skills and proper techniques. Hopefully he'll cover the drills you are talking about.

Those drills are standard. If your instructor doesn’t cover them, then you need a new instructor. You can start running them yourself once you learn the basics of handling a pistol safely. Until then you can check out almost unlimited variations of them on YouTube.

I'm considering a compact for the ability to use as a concealed carry if needed.

Don’t rule out the RDS on a carry pistol. Despite its flaws, plenty of the folks who like it run it on a G19-sized gun. Some even run it on a G26.

And the RDS can always be taken off if I'm wanted to use it as a concealed carry.

This is somewhere between a bad idea and a very bad idea for at least two reasons. First, you want the same sight picture every time you present your weapon. The last thing you want to do is change sight systems just before you go into a potentially lethal encounter. Pick one system and stay with it. Second, if you pull the RDS, then it's irresponsible to not rezero it (or at least verify your zero) every time you put it back on--ESPECIALLY if you're headed into harm's way. And yeah, I know that people say their mount system always returns to zero. But I don't believe them.

What are some of the benefits of having a full size? I know the P320 can easily be converted between sizes which is why it was more appealing to me than the others.

Full-sized guns tend to be easier to shoot well than smaller guns. Smaller guns tend to be easier to conceal. You can’t have everything.

If you have a good firearm that you are comfortable with, looking elsewhere for an edge or something new is not going to make you any better as a shooter. If you want to collect, then fine. If you want to be a shooter, spend that time and money on dry fire and live practice. If you can afford to collect AND shoot, luck you. Go for it.

All of that said, there is no turnkey in the handgun world quite like the glock 19. You can accomplish everything you listed most easily and cheaply with a glock.

Much wisdom here.

Given the kind of money ($1-2k) you're talking about spending, hardware is probably your worst investment. I suggest that you wait a year before you buy any of the stuff you mentioned in your first post. In that time, get a good holster/belt/mag carrier setup ($150), take a class on fundamentals ($150-200), go through 5k rounds of ammo ($1,000-1,200), take a more advanced class ($200-450), and start shooting IDPA ($50-ish). That will give you a much better idea of where to go from there. You'll also be better trained and more capable than 99% of the folks on any given range, you'll be at least as competent as most law-enforcement folks, and you'll kick ass in more than a few IDPA matches.

Okie John

MegademiC
03-01-16, 12:59
Based on your last several responses, I get the idea you’re looking for an all-around pistol. Fortunately, you have a ton of excellent choices, including your FNX, the Glock 19, M&P Compact, or whatever SIG 320 is about the same size as the others.

Those drills are standard. If your instructor doesn’t cover them, then you need a new instructor. You can start running them yourself once you learn the basics of handling a pistol safely. Until then you can check out almost unlimited variations of them on YouTube.

Don’t rule out the RDS on a carry pistol. Despite its flaws, plenty of the folks who like it run it on a G19-sized gun. Some even run it on a G26.

This is somewhere between a bad idea and a very bad idea for at least two reasons. First, you want the same sight picture every time you present your weapon. The last thing you want to do is change sight systems just before you go into a potentially lethal encounter. Pick one system and stay with it. Second, if you pull the RDS, then it's irresponsible to not rezero it (or at least verify your zero) every time you put it back on--ESPECIALLY if you're headed into harm's way. And yeah, I know that people say their mount system always returns to zero. But I don't believe them.

Full-sized guns tend to be easier to shoot well than smaller guns. Smaller guns tend to be easier to conceal. You can’t have everything.

Much wisdom here.

Given the kind of money ($1-2k) you're talking about spending, hardware is probably your worst investment. I suggest that you wait a year before you buy any of the stuff you mentioned in your first post. In that time, get a good holster/belt/mag carrier setup ($150), take a class on fundamentals ($150-200), go through 5k rounds of ammo ($1,000-1,200), take a more advanced class ($200-450), and start shooting IDPA ($50-ish). That will give you a much better idea of where to go from there. You'll also be better trained and more capable than 99% of the folks on any given range, you'll be at least as competent as most law-enforcement folks, and you'll kick ass in more than a few IDPA matches.

Okie John

This.

I would suggest a g19 because it does everything, it conceals, it shoots well easily, and you can mill a slide and have supressor sights to fall back on. Aftermarket is a non issue, and you can quickly dump the slide if rds doesn't work for you.

The g19 isn't the best for everyone, I don't even own one, but they are the best all around gun for most people, imo. Whatever you have, shoot it until it's holding you back.

That said, by all means, master the gun stock before adding stuff. Burning your friends down on the range beats having a nice paper weight to look at. Nothing is worse than seeing someone with a $1k pistol that can't handle it properly.

Once you get good with what you have, you'll have a better idea of what will benefit you.

okie john
03-01-16, 13:06
Nothing is worse than seeing someone with a $1k pistol that can't handle it properly.

And nothing is more fun than shooting rings around them after they trash-talk your choice of pistol.

Okie John

Defaultmp3
03-01-16, 13:14
Shooting with a slide-mounted RDS before you have a solid index will be a frustrating experience, IMO. Accuracy will probably be superior to iron sights, and you'll have much better feedback about your trigger control, but you'll be hunting for the dot constantly on the draw and between shots, and if you're unable to dedicate large amounts of time to developing a good index, you'll be much slower with the RDS than with iron sights.

hbrogers
03-02-16, 08:46
Thanks for all the advice. I plan on at least keeping the FNX until the end of summer and will get lessons during that time. Hopefully after 6 more months of shooting and lessons I'll have a better idea of what I want to do. Also plan on checking out the G19 and P320 to see how they feel. Currently I don't have night sights or a light for my FNX. Which one of those do you think is priority?

okie john
03-02-16, 10:02
Thanks for all the advice. I plan on at least keeping the FNX until the end of summer and will get lessons during that time. Hopefully after 6 more months of shooting and lessons I'll have a better idea of what I want to do. Also plan on checking out the G19 and P320 to see how they feel. Currently I don't have night sights or a light for my FNX. Which one of those do you think is priority?

I'd go with night sights and a timer. The timer will let you compare performance between guns objectively. Feel is misleading.

Okie John

MegademiC
03-02-16, 13:37
I'd go with night sights and a timer. The timer will let you compare performance between guns objectively. Feel is misleading.

Okie John

Nailed it again. A shot timer is a must for serious shooters. People debate night sights, I consider them a must. A cheap handheld light can be used until you can afford a wml. You should have a handheld anyway. Streamlight makes good small ones for the money.

noonesshowmonkey
03-02-16, 15:38

The FNX is a very, very nice handgun. Were I interested in / able to afford collecting, I'd have one without a doubt. They are great guns.

Night sights are, to my mind, a must have. A WML is a luxury, and something that is used on a pro-active weapon, rather than on a concealed handgun. A service weapon in a duty rig, or on a war belt, is a good place to mount one. A light on a concealed carry handgun is rarely something that I'd consider a priority.

Good handheld torches aren't hard to come by. Surefire makes the excellent 6P, and Steamlight's Scorpion and C4 are also excellent handhelds.

Vandal
03-02-16, 16:06
Night sights first with a good handheld light. If you have the cash the Surefire XC1 will mount to anything with a Glock or 1913 rail and eliminates the excuse of not having a WML on a concealed pistol.

hbrogers
03-02-16, 16:42

Okie John

Any specific timer that you recommend?

okie john
03-02-16, 18:14
Any specific timer that you recommend?

I use a Pact, but I think I'm in the minority. I think most folks prefer the ProTimer.

Okie John

alcante262
03-02-16, 18:34
I have an FNS 9 which I won in a giveaway.Ive put a 1000 rounds through it no hiccups and a great carry piece alternating with my Glock 21SF and Kimber 1911