PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Generation/MHS M&P Rumors?

jedi391
02-29-16, 23:20
I was talking to a California Highway Patrol buddy not long ago and giving him a little crap about their continued use of the 4006. He agreed that it was not an ideal patrol gun I today's environment but said that given CHP's long relationship with S&W it wasn't surprising. He went on to say that the 4006's days are numbered as CHP plans to transition to the 2nd Generation M&P (his words) after its released. I also just read a pn article in an investment journal where the author is talking about future stock performance potential of S&W and it also cited a likelihood that a S&W/General Dynamics next generation M&P would win the MHS contract. He was writing from a strictly investor point of view and could care less about the guns. Point is there are rumors and info about this gun out there obviously, I was hoping everyone who knows something could post it for those of us who are curious. Anyone?

Mike169
03-01-16, 03:57
It's my understanding that the 2nd gen M&P already exists, where current production models have an upgraded sear assembly.

Surely one of our vendors can chime in on that?

VT1032
03-01-16, 06:56
It's my understanding that the 2nd gen M&P already exists, where current production models have an upgraded sear assembly.

Surely one of our vendors can chime in on that?

I'm pretty sure what he is referring to is an entirely new gun built jointly between S&W and General Dynamics for the MHS competition. I can't remember where I read it, but it's supposed to have a modular chassis system like the Sig P320.

Beat Trash
03-01-16, 07:38
I have also read about the modular chassis system being a part of the Gen2 M&P. The guns, whatever they ended up being exist, as the samples for the MHS trials have already been submitted.

It will be interesting to see what was submitted to the MHS trials. Maybe there might be some new products introduced at the NRA meeting this year? Time will tell.

jedi391
03-01-16, 14:06
I've seen some people refer to the newer current M&P's as a gen 2 but from what I understand that is just something that people have called the current guns on their own but S&W has never called them that. I don't know if the new guns will be called that or not, but they are actually a significant change, but just an update. I love my department issue .40 and have thought about throwing a 9mm Storm Lake Barrel in but I just have confidence issues carrying it as a 9. I have a buddy who has been using that setup for about a year with no problems but the conversion aspect gives me pause.

HCM
03-01-16, 22:58
The CHP has much bigger firearms related problems than the 4006.

Detroit PD has transitioned to the Gen 2 M&P. As noted above the Gen 2 M&P currently being sold to LE is an internally improved M&P.

There are rumors S&W's MHS candidate is a new design using a modular chassis system like the SIG P320 and Beretta APX. Time will tell.

piedrarc
03-02-16, 00:02
The CHP has much bigger firearms related problems than the 4006.

Like what?

To the OP 4013's are currently being replaced with M&P .40c's.

That may add to the speculation that the full size will be selected however the testing process is not over yet.

jedi391
03-02-16, 00:14
The CHP has much bigger firearms related problems than the 4006

What firearm is more important then a pistol for an agency that is overwhelmingly assigned to patrol?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what S&W has to offer. If they put out a next generation M&P in 9mm that's as accurate as the military requirement....they will have a winner.

Tzook
03-02-16, 00:56
What firearm is more important then a pistol for an agency that is overwhelmingly assigned to patrol?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what S&W has to offer. If they put out a next generation M&P in 9mm that's as accurate as the military requirement....they will have a winner.

Couldn't agree more. I would venture a guess that an agency like CHP probably has 90% of their shoots with their duty handgun.

samuse
03-02-16, 12:47
I thought the M&P was the second gen. The Sigma was first gen.

HCM
03-04-16, 20:25
Like what?

To the OP 4013's are currently being replaced with M&P .40c's.

That may add to the speculation that the full size will be selected however the testing process is not over yet.

Their program is (or at least was up till a few years ago) based largely on point shooting. When I worked in CA, we alternated between a military reserve range and a municipal PD range we shared with CHP. The results were not pretty.

I'm not sure if they are still using that program but they were as of the mid 2000's. similar to this guys curriculum: http://www.gunfightersltd.com/

The 4006 may be a bit of a brick but they seem to be reliable and accurate. From and admin / armorer stand point the 3rd gen smiths are a pain to work on compared to striker guns and S&W will eventually stop supporting them, if they haven't already. A move to the M&P 40 would make sense.

mig1nc
07-09-16, 10:26
Picture posted on DefRev Instagram feed at https://www.instagram.com/defrev/

Check out the post for more details.

Magsz
07-09-16, 11:38
Does anyone at Smith actually shoot the guns they create minus Julie Golob and Jerry Miculek?

Those front cocking serrations are useless for press checking as well as manipulating the slide in front of the ejection port.

They kept the awful hinged trigger, why I dont know.

I THINK the only positive change that I can see there is that they went ahead and removed that AWFUL texturing directly under the triggerguard where your middle knuckle sits.

As far as trigger characteristics, I guess we will wait and see how that pans out but I doubt they're going to get any better than an Apex equipped M&P.

jedi391
07-09-16, 12:07
Just as a counterpoint, I have never found that I really needed front cocking serrations. I'd prefer that they just leave them off. The hinged trigger doesn't look as good as other options but for some reason it fits my finger perfectly when I'm actually shooting it and over the last 10 years or so the 200 guns at my agency haven't had any reliability issues from the hinged trigger. I agree with you on the underside trigger guard and it appears the new texturing is a big improvement. For some reason the trigger was never a problem for me, in fact I shot the .40 M&P as accurately as any other gun.

My experience with the M&P was very positive and the only reason I don't carry it is I'm not a .40 guy and while I've never shot a 9mm, the accuracy reports were enough to scare me off. If this new Gen 2 version has acceptable accuracy, say 2.5 inches at 25yards, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes my new carry gun. I'm excited to see what comes, as I am for the finger groove less FBI Glock.

Koshinn
07-09-16, 14:05
A member here posted that a whole new M&P is being released during or after the summer this year. I forget who, but it was a month or two ago that it was posted.

Does anyone at Smith actually shoot the guns they create minus Julie Golob and Jerry Miculek?

Ken Hackathorn once said that he was invited to the S&W factory or w/e to take an early look at the M&P when they were first designed. The S&W engineers were proud that they almost completely got rid of the reset sound and tactile feel.

jpmuscle
07-09-16, 14:16
I'm hoping they come through with a respectable offering. After a little undercut work my full size mp9 had exceptional ergonomics and the most natural point of aim of all my handguns, and was pretty decent trigger wise with only a poly AEK installed. The accuracy just wasn't there though.

jedi391
07-09-16, 14:23
For me, all they have to do is fix the accuracy, I'll take the rest as is.

Big A
07-09-16, 14:36
They kept the awful hinged trigger, why I dont know.

So much this^ Dear sweet God and baby Jesus, why?

Also:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160709/9b1f59ef460a0228495daa619373be84.jpg

The author of this photo says it's an M&P 9C. Did he mistype or are they finally making a G19 competitor? That would be firm tits and cold beer...well after you put an APEX trigger shoe in it.

mig1nc
07-09-16, 15:08
Honestly I just glanced over that one. It would be neat if that was true.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jedi391
07-09-16, 15:38
I think he's just referring to it as a compact in reference to the long slide version. Looks like a standard 4.25" barrel with the full size grip. One thing I have wondered is why the VP9 and PPQ haven't taken more market share. Both are considerably more accurate then a Glock or M&P, and neither need APEX parts to improve their deficiencies like the Glock or M&P.

Big A
07-09-16, 19:16
I think he's just referring to it as a compact in reference to the long slide version. Looks like a standard 4.25" barrel with the full size grip. One thing I have wondered is why the VP9 and PPQ haven't taken more market share. Both are considerably more accurate then a Glock or M&P, and neither need APEX parts to improve their deficiencies like the Glock or M&P.
That's what I am thinking too. A G19 sized M&P with a Apex style trigger would make me get one.