PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Parts for new upper

wrecks30
03-01-16, 14:11
So a few days ago I posted about my PSA freedom barrel. The barrel was just a bonus as I only bought the complete upper for the FF hand guard and upper receiver. Well, as it turns out I am getting a new barrel anyway. Keep in mind that this is my first build!

My question is: Can I use the gas block and tube from the PSA barrel on a new Wilson barrel considering that they are both mid lengths. I think it should work, but want to verify. I also suppose both barrels must be the same profiles.

Thanks

HeruMew
03-01-16, 15:43
Not sure on the mounting method used, but if its the same length gas sytem and same barrel diameter, the gasblock will fit and the tube will reach the BCG gas key.

Edit: on the topic of mounting, if its pinned, thats ideal, if not, you'll have to do the alignment yourself and lock it down as tight as possible.

henschman
03-03-16, 13:25
As long as the Wilson barrel is also a .750" gas block journal, it will fit. If the PSA barrel has a pinned gas block, you'll have to ream and pin it onto the Wilson barrel.

wrecks30
03-03-16, 15:42
Wow...ok. Now we're talking outside my knowledge. I do know that the PSA gas block is not pinned though. It has what looks to be allen type screws

henschman
03-03-16, 19:21
I didn't read that the Freedom upper came with a free float handguard. In that case it will be a low pro gas block and won't be pinned, so it will work as long as the other barrel has a .750" gas block journal, and will be easy to switch out.

PSA also sells their Freedom barrels with FSB setups. Reaming and pinning is what you have to do to put a mil spec FSB from one barrel onto another.

ABNAK
03-03-16, 19:30
ADCO does a mean pin job for a gas block.