PDA

View Full Version : 77gr Loads in 1:9 Twist - Risk of Hitting Muzzle Break?

Kdubya
03-01-16, 16:18
This question may be buried in a thread somewhere, but I couldn't find a definitive answer with the search. So, hopefully this is a quick, asked and answered thread?

I mistakenly purchased some 77gr rounds today and want to know if there is any risk of clipping the muzzle break on my 1:9 twist barrel. It's 16", and the manual states it will stabilize up to 75gr loads. I have seen quite a few comments that the 77gr loads do okay inside 100 yds for some with 1:9 rifles, but the experiences are far less positive when shooting to 200+ yds (keyholing, poor groups, etc). I run a J-Comp break/fh that has relatively tighter tolerances than the standard A2. I'd be very surprised a 77gr pill was so poorly stabilized at the muzzle that there'd be an issue. But, I'd rather ask a dumb question and avoid possible damage to the muzzle break. If the consensus is "go ahead, you won't hurt anything", I'll try to shoot beyond 100 yd and report back my findings. If I'm better off not trying it, someone will get some free ammo :D

Thanks!

GH41
03-01-16, 17:15
I'll trade you 55s for your 77s if it makes you feel better. Jokes aside... Don't worry about it.

Gabriel556
03-01-16, 19:40
I'll give you 2 for one! In all honestly, I'd try the 77 in your rifle.

Kdubya
03-02-16, 00:15
Thanks guys! And, I fully expected the "just send them to me" comments, :laugh:.

I'll probably give them a shot. I suppose the absolute worst case scenario, as unlikely as it would be, is that I damage a very good, but inexpensive,muzzle break. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Kansaswoodguy
03-02-16, 22:40
I doubt the 77gr would be an issue I have 2 1-9 twist barrels they shoot 75's ok. I would take off the break and make sure they don't keyhole at 50 yards. If not I would think your gtg.

Kdubya
03-03-16, 11:57
I would take off the break and make sure they don't keyhole at 50 yards. If not I would think your gtg.

That's a great idea. A crush washer is cheap to replace, and will save me from the possible headache of damaging the break. Excellent suggestion!

Auto-X Fil
03-03-16, 12:18
You will NOT hit the brake (not break). Stabilization issues will take much longer than the length of the brake to show up. Even if a bullet did start to yaw enough to clip the brake, it wouldn't hurt the brake a bit.

seedubs1
03-03-16, 13:15
You won't have an issue with striking your muzzle device unless the projectile, barrel, or muzzle device is out of spec. No bullet (if it's the right caliber for the barrel and not massively under powdered) is going to tumble within less than an inch of the barrel crown.

Kdubya
03-03-16, 13:26
Thanks for the input and the correction on the break/brake misuse. I think the consensus is pretty clear. But, if they shoot like garbage I'll put the names of all that commented in a hat and draw for someone to ship the unused box to. Much thanks!