PDA

View Full Version : Universal sight pusher or specific sight pusher?

bushwacked
03-02-16, 09:28
I am in the market for a site pusher because I would like to be able to adjust and swap out sites when I see fit. I figure at the cost of a gunsmith after 2-3 times I could have just bought my own.

I am curious if i could get a universal sight pusher and that would work or are they only mediocre at best and I need a specific sight pusher per different brand of pistol?

Right now I have glock ...

I was thinking of getting
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160302/d80575804477e0b965a44dbce72d7b1f.jpg

The reviews seem pretty good overall and the price is right.

Would this work well or just mediocre?

Chiral
03-02-16, 09:47
I have something similar and it worked well enough to put ameriglo pro Idots on my glock 19. It was somewhat difficult to get everything lined up properly and required "shimming" with cardboard to line up the slide just right. An MGW sight pusher is much easier in that regard to replace sights. If all you have are glocks, I'd go with the MGW for ease of use.

Caribe
03-02-16, 09:52
I have that sight pusher. It worked great. I used it to replace sights on a Glock 19, M&P Fs and compact, and a an M&P Shield. I bought the extra blocks for the Shield.

T2C
03-02-16, 09:53
I have the Fisher sight pusher and like it. I use it for a wide variety of handguns and pushing rear sights on M1 Carbines.

domestique
03-02-16, 10:45
You need the XL model if you ever plan on using tall (suppressor/RMR sights).

bushwacked
03-02-16, 10:53
cool ... glad so far this seems to be a solid choice on the cheaper end to get me started.

I dont plan on throwing RMR sights or anything on it ... If I do, I will look into that when the time comes.
The MGW look nice, but at almost double the price do they warrant the extra $50?

teutonicpolymer
03-02-16, 11:16
I have installed multiple sight sets and never used a sight pusher

A triangle file and blunt object are about all you need

T2C
03-02-16, 12:56
You need the XL model if you ever plan on using tall (suppressor/RMR sights).

That's the one I purchased and it came with a lot of shims and blocks for a wide variety of slides. I believe the whole kit cost me $90 and I have used it several times.

GNXII
03-02-16, 13:00
MGW Pro for the win. Have changed S&W 3rd Gen, M&P, SiG, Springfield, etc. using this sight tool.Just plain awesome, never had an issue and definetly worth the extra bucks.

officerX
03-02-16, 13:34
MGW Pro for the win. Have changed S&W 3rd Gen, M&P, SiG, Springfield, etc. using this sight tool.Just plain awesome, never had an issue and definetly worth the extra bucks.

I have the same one.

t1tan
03-02-16, 14:08
I am in the market for a site pusher because I would like to be able to adjust and swap out sites when I see fit. I figure at the cost of a gunsmith after 2-3 times I could have just bought my own.

I am curious if i could get a universal sight pusher and that would work or are they only mediocre at best and I need a specific sight pusher per different brand of pistol?

Right now I have glock ...

I was thinking of getting

The reviews seem pretty good overall and the price is right.

Would this work well or just mediocre?

Tried one and returned it, total trash. Bought the MGW Pro and use it for everything now.

MStarmer
03-02-16, 17:08
MGW Sight-Pro, it's so worth the money it's not even funny. I change sights like the wind and am fanatic about micro-adjustments. Some of the best money I ever spent! Here it is on one of my P320's, I have a fair collection of "shoes" now so I can adjust just about every handgun me or anyone I know owns.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/mstarmer/sightpro.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/mstarmer/media/sightpro.jpg.html)

beastonakron
03-02-16, 18:47
I have the universal one mentioned in the OP and it works great. I have changed out many of my own Glock sights and friends and families with no problems what so ever.

PrivateCitizen
03-02-16, 21:03
Timely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151944507684

Interesting unit to me.

I just got a set of Ameriglo IDots local from a guy who mussed up the rear trying to use a vice and punch it. Apparently he had issues with a few dings and wanted to unload it. I got them for $40.

Anyway, I've always had my sights installed by a smith but figured the karma-balance of the deal was to find a tool also. I try to give a 'go' on US craftsman as much as I can. Will post back when I get it (probably Saturday). Will be placing them on the wifes new G26

nova3930
03-03-16, 08:59
I was looking at one of the fisher units recently. They seem to have decent reviews. If I was a smith doing sights constantly I'd probably go with the MGW but just for limited use on my personal weapons I think the universal will work fine. Probably going to pick up one soon.

bushwacked
03-03-16, 09:32
I was looking at one of the fisher units recently. They seem to have decent reviews. If I was a smith doing sights constantly I'd probably go with the MGW but just for limited use on my personal weapons I think the universal will work fine. Probably going to pick up one soon.

Ya my thoughts exactly. I don't plan on changing sights a ton. Maybe once or twice a year on mine until I find a good setup and then probably a lot longer after that.

DireStraits
03-03-16, 09:41

Beat me to it: This ^^^

Gunfixr
03-03-16, 09:47
I got a couple of pushers, but none do the front sights. Maybe there's one out there now, but I stopped looking.
I ground a push tool, and use the mill vise. I have been able to clamp every slide so far in it, and push front or rear sights with ease, and very precise control of it. Setup is a bit longer, but no big deal.

Oh, and after the "triangle file ground flat and a blunt object" meets night sights and a extra tight fit once or twice and kills the vials, there will be a change.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

WatchTheWorldBern
03-03-16, 09:49
Are there any cheaper options for the MGW Sight Pro that are still in its league?

bushwacked
03-03-16, 10:08
Are there any cheaper options for the MGW Sight Pro that are still in its league?

I would assume the standard MGW sight tool. It's like $99. Not sure what all it can do since I don't own it.

t1tan
03-03-16, 13:26
I would assume the standard MGW sight tool. It's like $99. Not sure what all it can do since I don't own it.

The Pro is universal only requiring a new shoe($15-20) with each weapon type. Standard MGW only work with a particular model handgun, Glock $99, M&P $99, Sig $99, etc, so the Pro while the Pro is a significant cost, it's worth it if you own or plan to own multiple brands/models.

bushwacked
03-03-16, 15:01
The Pro is universal only requiring a new shoe($15-20) with each weapon type. Standard MGW only work with a particular model handgun, Glock $99, M&P $99, Sig $99, etc, so the Pro while the Pro is a significant cost, it's worth it if you own or plan to own multiple brands/models.

Oh gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up.

teutonicpolymer
03-03-16, 18:58
I got a couple of pushers, but none do the front sights. Maybe there's one out there now, but I stopped looking.
I ground a push tool, and use the mill vise. I have been able to clamp every slide so far in it, and push front or rear sights with ease, and very precise control of it. Setup is a bit longer, but no big deal.

Oh, and after the "triangle file ground flat and a blunt object" meets night sights and a extra tight fit once or twice and kills the vials, there will be a change.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

This is the method Dawson precision uses to install sights but feel free to buy a sight pusher...
https://youtu.be/do8sHBDfIGk

The whole point of using the file is to size the damn sights so how are you going to end up with an extra tight fit?

You'd probably run that risk moreso with a sight pusher when you don't size them to the dovetail...

Kain
03-03-16, 19:00

Would be curious as well. Am considering a sight pusher and the $300 price tag is a little hard to justify for my needs while the $100 for just a glock model would make sense for me at this time. But, looking around it appears to be two models of a glock sight pusher from MGW. So, what would the recommendation be regarding that? One says slant sights, the other straight. Not looking to run suppressor sights, likely Trij HDs, may be looking at some of the Wilson Vickers, or Ameriglos, or about four other options since I have two that are in need of sights and would like to be able to swap them myself, and likely be swapping a few others for friends.

Helix12
03-04-16, 16:45
Kain, I have the standard MGW (not Pro) sight pusher for Glocks. Like you, when I was first considering whether to buy the slant version or the straight version I chose the straight one. My thinking was that the sights would be easier to remove than install and the sights I was going to install were straight sided.

The MGW straight pusher has worked perfectly on the Glocks I have used it on, both to remove the factory sights and install the after-market sights. I'm not recommending what you should do, just passing along what has worked for me.

Good luck with your pusher choice and new sights.

MStarmer
03-04-16, 17:38
This is the method Dawson precision uses to install sights but feel free to buy a sight pusher...
https://youtu.be/do8sHBDfIGk

The whole point of using the file is to size the damn sights so how are you going to end up with an extra tight fit?

You'd probably run that risk moreso with a sight pusher when you don't size them to the dovetail...

You still have to properly size the sight as some are VERY oversize. Dawson fronts / 10-8 rears to name a few. The tool isn't a replacement for proper fitting and install but does make for an absolute mark free install and micro adjustments at the range possible. When adjusting a rear or front sight to get that last little bit of zero correct (especially on a match gun) can be frustrating with hammer and punch. Tap too far one way, tap too far the other, repeat. The tools whether gun specific or the PRO eliminate this portion. The other advantage to the Sight-Pro is that it is just not clamping on the rails of the slide. It clamps to the rails, has 4 clamps from the slide to prevent movement and clamps from top lastly with the ability to still raise or lower the pusher to keep it off the slide or as low as you can get it. It's extremely well engineered and worth the money.

Kain
03-04-16, 20:45
Kain, I have the standard MGW (not Pro) sight pusher for Glocks. Like you, when I was first considering whether to buy the slant version or the straight version I chose the straight one. My thinking was that the sights would be easier to remove than install and the sights I was going to install were straight sided.

The MGW straight pusher has worked perfectly on the Glocks I have used it on, both to remove the factory sights and install the after-market sights. I'm not recommending what you should do, just passing along what has worked for me.

Good luck with your pusher choice and new sights.

I appreciate the info. What sights were you installing if I may ask?

ejr490
03-05-16, 06:43
I've had good luck wit this one.

http://m.sightpushertool.com/

Helix12
03-05-16, 08:22
I appreciate the info. What sights were you installing if I may ask?

The last two that I installed on my Glock 19s were Truglo TFOs, which are a combination of fiber optic and tritium. All of my polymer 9s have night sights. Before the TFOs they were all Trijicons and Meps. Good sights all, but the TFOs are my favorite night sights. Unlike most of the others, they are good at night and good during the day. When I raise the gun they just pop into view regardless of light level or angle of the sun. My see close vision is not quite as sharp as it used to be so I really appreciate the definition to the front sight that the TFOs provide to me.

I've had TFOs on the Glocks a couple of years now. Those guns are shot a lot and carried a lot on my body, in the car, in my Dillion brief case and in my range bag. No problems with durability so far. I read that the first ones were more prone to breakage but that flaw was corrected. There a couple of other Truglo models now that are supposedly even more durable since they are encased in some clear protectant but I have no experience with them.

My TFOs required no fitting to my Glock 19s. They were sized perfectly from the factory and just slide right into place using the MGW sight pusher. The rear TFO sight does have a set screw to lock it in place. Of course you should use a threadlocker on the front sight screw threads.

MStarmer is correct that a sight pusher is an asset at the range when you are adjusting new sights as you can make small adjustments that are difficult to do by hammer and punch. On my TFOs I initially installed the front and rear sight at home and tightened the set screw. Lock down the front sight with thread locker at home and let cure for 24 hours. After each shot at the range I loosened the rear set screw and used the pusher to adjust the sight until it was sighted in correctly. Then I carefully removed the set screw, dripped a drop of threadlocker into the screw hole and tighten down the screw. Put it aside for 24 hours and you are good to go. I use Locktite Blue No. 42 threadlocker.

Good luck.

PrivateCitizen
03-06-16, 17:28
Timely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151944507684

Interesting unit to me.

I just got a set of Ameriglo IDots local from a guy who mussed up the rear trying to use a vice and punch it. Apparently he had issues with a few dings and wanted to unload it. I got them for $40.

Anyway, I've always had my sights installed by a smith but figured the karma-balance of the deal was to find a tool also. I try to give a 'go' on US craftsman as much as I can. Will post back when I get it (probably Saturday). Will be placing them on the wifes new G26

I received this on Saturday (2 days after buying) and had the Ameriglo IDot sights mounted in 5 minutes to a Glock 19. Took longer to take it out of the packaging.

It was an easy $79 and I would buy it again. Quality all the way. Has a flat and angled pusher for multiple sites, the slide holding setup is rock solid. I mounted it on the side of the sight wiht white lettering and it didn't make so much as a smudge.

Heavy-ish but it could easy go the range if you needed to for initial sighting adjustments.