PDA

View Full Version : ALG ACT Trigger Review

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-02-16, 19:15
One of the first things that we all like to do to our rifles is swap out the trigger or if we're building one we don't even mess with the mil spec trigger in our LPK. But what if I told you that there is a mil spec trigger that actually is worth putting in your rifle? The trigger I'm referring to is the ACT from ALG defense, the sister company of Geissele Automatics. The first thing you'll notice about this trigger is that it's silver. This is because the trigger is nickel boron coated like some bolt carriers are. This helps with lubricity so it reduces the creep and grit associated with mil spec triggers. The hammer is coated with nickel teflon, between these two coatings you get a cleaner trigger pull coming in at 5.5 pounds. This lighter and crisper pull enables the shooter to produce a cleaner and more consistent pull. This trigger will run you $69 MSRP, while it is not a Geissele, Timney, or CMC it is a great trigger. This trigger is respectable enough to be the stock trigger for Noveske, one of the more reputable rifle companies out there. I put this trigger in my go to hell build, I chose it because it is a mil spec, so I know there won't be any worries about durability but it's a refined trigger. It also offered a more familiar trigger feel than the Geissele SSA-E that I installed into my light weight AR.

Over all here are my ratings for this trigger

Value 10/10
Pull 8/10
Reset 8/10
Ease of install 8/10
Overall 8.5/10

Below I have a video of my first impressions and a video of my dad and I running it

http://youtu.be/B-Il8SPnm8I

Mrgunsngear
03-03-16, 10:04
http://youtu.be/PoNRXDxVnHg

Torquetard
03-03-16, 17:07
I have this on a build, used the included 4.5lb spring. Awesome value, fast double taps. There is a slight, and i mean very slight mush before it breaks if you are pulling slowly on the bench.. but not noticeable when shooting fast. It might as well be a single stage SSA with a less crisp break

HardToHandle
03-03-16, 20:02
I like the characterization as a SSA with a bit more mush, but not too much.

Trying to avoid confirmation bias, but $69 price point seemed to be worth one-third of the cost of the SSA. Much better than general mil spec triggers and subjectively closer to the top tier drop in triggers than the distance from mil spec standard. I was more impressed than expected.

crosseyedshooter
03-03-16, 23:07
I was perfectly happy with my two ALG ACT triggers until tried my friend's Geissele G2S. Dang it, now I want the G2S!

lmbass14
03-04-16, 09:52
I was perfectly happy with my two ALG ACT triggers until tried my friend's Geissele G2S. Dang it, now I want the G2S!

crosseyed - I use a G2S and Wilson TTU triggers, the G2S really nice trigger for what it is. Now, if you save your pennies and get a TTU, that's taking it to an all new level. Know there are a ton of triggers out there, so have fun researching them. I did and got really confused. :confused: Really want to try a SSA, heard those are the cat's pajama's.

TacticalSledgehammer
03-04-16, 10:27
If only they made the bow like their AKT. I love the flatness.

crosseyedshooter
03-04-16, 14:11
I use a G2S and Wilson TTU triggers, the G2S really nice trigger for what it is. Now, if you save your pennies and get a TTU, that's taking it to an all new level. Know there are a ton of triggers out there, so have fun researching them. I did and got really confused. :confused: Really want to try a SSA, heard those are the cat's pajama's.

I was under the impression that the SSA and G2S felt nearly identical and the main differences are how the trigger pins are retained and the QC during manufacturing. When I bought my two ACTs, they didn't offer the lighter purple hammer spring that they now have for ~4.5lb pull weight.

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 14:59
I only have ALG ACTs in all my AR builds. Love them. Did not know that they now ship with different power/weight springs until recently. That has me curious, as my previous attempt to use a lower power/weight trigger spring was not that great of an experience.

KOLT_AID
03-04-16, 17:52
I have this on a build, used the included 4.5lb spring. Awesome value, fast double taps. There is a slight, and i mean very slight mush before it breaks if you are pulling slowly on the bench.. but not noticeable when shooting fast. It might as well be a single stage SSA with a less crisp break

The ACT I bought almost two years ago did not come with the 4.5-lbs spring. Can this spring be purchased separately? Is 4.5 lbs. the actual weight or is it the advertised weight. Reason I'm asking about the weight is that my QMS and ACT yield 6.5 lbs. on my Lyman electronic gauge and NOT 5.5 lbs. as people in the internet claim it to be.

Recently installed JP red spring in the ACT (4.5 lbs actual weight) and it's been reliable for approximately 400 rounds of Federal .223 (Walmart 100-round boxes) on my "toy" gun. I actually prefer this set-up over my SSA in club matches. Still want to try the ALG 4.5-lbs. spring though.

crosseyedshooter
03-04-16, 17:59
The ACT I bought almost two years ago did not come with the 4.5-lbs spring. Can this spring be purchased separately? Is 4.5 lbs. the actual weight or is it the advertised weight. Reason I'm asking about the weight is that my QMS and ACT yield 6.5 lbs. on my Lyman electronic gauge and NOT 5.5 lbs. as people in the internet claim

http://algdefense.com/alg-defense-purple-spring.html I'm sure there's some variation with the parts and different lubes and receivers.

t1tan
03-04-16, 18:06
Didn't know about that purple spring, might have to order one to try with some different ammo with the mention of potential light strikes.

KOLT_AID
03-04-16, 18:10
http://algdefense.com/alg-defense-purple-spring.html I'm sure there's some variation with the parts and different lubes and receivers.

Thank you very much. Now I realized why I can't find it...was searching the Geissele website...stupid me!

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-04-16, 19:19
I didn't know they had those purple springs, I wonder the likelihood of light strikes with it.

KOLT_AID
03-04-16, 22:09
I didn't know they had those purple springs, I wonder the likelihood of light strikes with it.

Exactly the reason why I use light springs only in my match rifle.

crosseyedshooter
03-05-16, 01:20
Since the trigger geometry is still the mil-spec design, any reduction in pull weight from a lighter hammer spring will reduce the force on the primer. I think it's more a question of what type of ammo you use since the NATO and European 5.56 seem to have harder primers than the domestic .223 ammo.

556BlackRifle
03-05-16, 03:00
Since the trigger geometry is still the mil-spec design, any reduction in pull weight from a lighter hammer spring will reduce the force on the primer. I think it's more a question of what type of ammo you use since the NATO and European 5.56 seem to have harder primers than the domestic .223 ammo.

True. Additionally, according to Bill Geissele, the US Army Marksmanship Team armorer told him that they found light primer strikes to cause shot stringing.

.46caliber
03-05-16, 08:09

I've not run into any problems yet. Next time I shoot, I'll take a mix of different factory loads to see how it does.

MWT
03-05-16, 09:52
FWIW, I cannot tell the difference between the ALG QMS in my PWS Mk114 and the ALG ACT in my friends BCM. That being said, they are both fantastic value for money. I will be testing the Hiperfire EDT3 though, hope to compare it to the ALG.

lmbass14
03-05-16, 18:55
I was under the impression that the SSA and G2S felt nearly identical and the main differences are how the trigger pins are retained and the QC during manufacturing. When I bought my two ACTs, they didn't offer the lighter purple hammer spring that they now have for ~4.5lb pull weight.

That very well could be a difference on how the pins are retained. The TTU trigger is a lot better trigger IMO. Just think it's an overall better quality piece. Smoother take up, break and reset. But I am by no stretch of imagination an expert. Just a dude that like to shoot more than his budget will allow. There's a guy at the gun show that's selling a SSA-E for $230 OTD. I'm tempted to get that and replace the G2S. IDK if getting the better trigger, or buying more ammo.

t1tan
03-05-16, 19:32
I've not run into any problems yet. Next time I shoot, I'll take a mix of different factory loads to see how it does.

Please keep us updated.

Ordered a spring anyways since there's free shipping just to have one on hand but no idea when I'll get a chance to play around with things.

sbrown3
03-05-16, 19:54
I recently installed the ALG ACT with the purple spring. I put about 100 rounds of XM193 through it this weekend with zero problems.

El Pistolero
03-08-16, 00:18
I've been using the ALG ACT in my budget builds and am very satisfied with it. I recently purchased a PSA enhanced polished FCG which appears to be their version of an ACT-style trigger. I have yet to install it and get it to the range but it's half the price of the ALG offering so I'm looking forward to trying it out and comparing the PSA and ALG side-by-side.

jeffk14
03-09-16, 18:16
I have the ALG ACT and I'm using the purple hammer spring. Haven't put a scale on it but I like the way it shoots/feels.

ClearedHot
03-10-16, 19:13
Has anyone tried the BCM PNT and compared it to the ALG ACT?

t1tan
03-11-16, 19:36
Purple spring showed up today, feels good and like the weight, all other characteristics staying the same. Going to swap back until I get a chance to run some ammo through it.

Just swapped back and came to the realization that I way prefer the weight of the purple spring just in dry firing.

WatchTheWorldBern
03-11-16, 21:03
True. Additionally, according to Bill Geissele, the US Army Marksmanship Team armorer told him that they found light primer strikes to cause shot stringing.
Yeah, to be more specific about what he said Dean Clark said to him: lighter springs lead to less consistent and slower ignition leading to longer lock time, which matters at range. It's not just a question of reliability.

This is not my area of expertise, curious if any experienced long range shooters can expand on this.

masakari
03-11-16, 21:32
My experience with the ACT was long and mushy reset. I removed all of them and replaced them with the ALG QMS, a supposedly worse trigger, but with a very distinct reset. I'm Happy with the QMS.

philpac33
03-11-16, 21:55

My go to rifle the last couple years was built with the ALG ACT and it's performed exactly as expected as far as feel and pull weight. It was one of the early ones and paired with a Battle Arms Development ambi safety selector, I had some trouble re-engaging the safety with the bolt locked back; ALG sent new pins which alleviated the issue. I recently bought a complete 16" BCM ELW w/ KMR. I was pretty excited to see the new rifles and complete lowers were coming equipped with the new PNT trigger. I've only had it out a couple times for a total of 330 rounds so it's not even really broken in yet but the PNT is very similar to the ALG ACT up to this point. Obviously I need more time and rounds fired with it. I also want to shoot both rifles side by side to get a better idea of just how similar they are and be able to notice any small differences in them. Hopefully somebody with more time on the PNT chimes in but at this point, it's hard for me to tell much difference between the two. Both are really nice "combat triggers".

HKGuns
03-11-16, 22:06
My experience with the ACT was long and mushy reset. I removed all of them and replaced them with the ALG QMS, a supposedly worse trigger, but with a very distinct reset. I'm Happy with the QMS.

My experience is 180 degrees different.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-11-16, 22:11
I have an ALG ACT. Found it to be so similar to the BCM factory trigger that I cannot tell the difference beyond the finish of the trigger....

556BlackRifle
03-12-16, 13:09
Yeah, to be more specific about what he said Dean Clark said to him: lighter springs lead to less consistent and slower ignition leading to longer lock time, which matters at range. It's not just a question of reliability.

This is not my area of expertise, curious if any experienced long range shooters can expand on this.

I too would love to hear more on this from some of our long range experts.

556BlackRifle
03-12-16, 13:10
My experience is 180 degrees different.

Same here.

hellishot
03-17-16, 12:55
My ACT experience was good for my budget rifle.

Bayoublaster
03-17-16, 14:52
It was one of the early ones and paired with a Battle Arms Development ambi safety selector, I had some trouble re-engaging the safety with the bolt locked back; ALG sent new pins which alleviated the issue.

I had the same issue with mine, though with just a factory safety. Installed the new pins they sent me and it works great now. I do miss the look of the original pins with the dimples.

bjw182005
06-24-16, 17:03

Unrelated....Cleared Hot, tried to PM you but your inbox is full. If you receive this can you PM me? Thanks.

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-18-16, 22:32
for the money i think its the best value trigger out there

ClearedHot
08-19-16, 03:32
Unrelated....Cleared Hot, tried to PM you but your inbox is full. If you receive this can you PM me? Thanks.

Apologies for the late reply. Just cleaned out the inbox. Doesn't take long for it to fill up apparently.

Send your traffic.

HardToHandle
08-20-16, 08:18

I have both, after installing a BCM two weeks ago. My general perception is they substantially similar in weight, stacking and stage. The engagement of the relative components feels different, but I also have them on separate receivers.

The newly installed BCM had more distinct stages and a bit of hitch on the second stage transition, but that was with less than 100 rounds fired. The BCM also had more of a click on releasing/resetting the trigger after the hammer was struck. Due to the low number of rounds, I would expect this to potentially change over time.

With around 750 rounds, the ALG is just smooth in the right places, crisp when you want it to be.

Jliddle
08-20-16, 09:59
I'd like to know how the ALG compares to SOLGW "fighting trigger"

crosseyedshooter
08-20-16, 12:36
The newly installed BCM had more distinct stages and a bit of hitch on the second stage transition, but that was with less than 100 rounds fired. The BCM also had more of a click on releasing/resetting the trigger after the hammer was struck. Due to the low number of rounds, I would expect this to potentially change over time.

Could you explain what you mean by second stage transition? I thought these were both considered single-stage, mil-spec type, triggers. As far as I can tell from a standard trigger, the improvements are in some polishing of engagement surfaces and surface treatment. There are no changes to the geometry and I'd probably consider BCM PNT and ALG ACT both "tuned" mil-spec triggers.

556BlackRifle
08-20-16, 19:08
Could you explain what you mean by second stage transition? I thought these were both considered single-stage, mil-spec type, triggers. As far as I can tell from a standard trigger, the improvements are in some polishing of engagement surfaces and surface treatment. There are no changes to the geometry and I'd probably consider BCM PNT and ALG ACT both "tuned" mil-spec triggers.

I agree with your points.

IMO the ACT and PNT are great triggers for the money. I have both and have to say I like the ACT just a little better. I have one PNT and four ACT triggers so my sample size on the PNT is small so take that for what it's worth. To me the PNT is gritty and the pull is a bit stiffer, but the break and reset are pretty close to the ACT. To remedy this I lubed the trigger with some of the lube that came with my SSA-E. It really smoothed it out but the PNT was still a bit stiffer on the pull. I'll probably buy another BCM Enhanced LPK and give another PNT another try just to see if its the one that I own.

HardToHandle
08-21-16, 22:39

Incorrect unclear language on my part... I was referring to the second half/ upwards half of the pull in my case. They are single stage triggers, but I was feeling a bit of more definite difference in second vertical part of the pull in the BCM trigger as it pivots on the trigger pin. This may be a result of wearing in or maybe a tolerance issue in my upper. There is not a sheer smooth single pull, but not a clear set-like a two stage trigger, esp. Related to the well worn traditional trigger in the lower previously. YMMV.

I do appreciate the more articulate description from 556. The ACT is smooth and effortless. The BCM PNT has a different feel, closer to what I would call a milspec with a bit of grit.

ClearedHot
08-23-16, 07:59
I have both, after installing a BCM two weeks ago. My general perception is they substantially similar in weight, stacking and stage. The engagement of the relative components feels different, but I also have them on separate receivers.

With around 750 rounds, the ALG is just smooth in the right places, crisp when you want it to be.

Good info right there. Would be interesting to see if the BCM PNT gets better after it "breaks in" with use.

If you were building a Recce or precision carbine, do you feel that the ALG ACT would be up to the task without being a handicap?

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-23-16, 12:19
Good info right there. Would be interesting to see if the BCM PNT gets better after it "breaks in" with use.

If you were building a Recce or precision carbine, do you feel that the ALG ACT would be up to the task without being a handicap?

A two stage geissele would be the preferred option, but I don't feel that you would be hurting your performance with an ACT trigger, it's a good trigger not a great one. But if you can't justify $200+ on a trigger then you can go ACT and get the purple springs to bring the pull down to 4.5 pounds. I have heard of light strikes though with the purple springs.

dramabeats
08-23-16, 14:01
A two stage geissele would be the preferred option, but I don't feel that you would be hurting your performance with an ACT trigger, it's a good trigger not a great one. But if you can't justify $200+ on a trigger then you can go ACT and get the purple springs to bring the pull down to 4.5 pounds. I have heard of light strikes though with the purple springs.

I ordered a Larue MBT for $125 on Friday and it shipped today. It's a great option if you don't want to pay for a Geissele

MWAG19919
08-24-16, 00:33
I have the regular BCM trigger and I actually like it a lot. The pull could be lighter, but the reset is super crisp and short. Someone mentioned that the PNT has a definite click upon reset and my regular BCM trigger does the same thing. I kinda like it actually. My first lower was a complete PSA and that was pretty good, but the trigger was grittier. My dad has a PSA EPT in his PSA lower and that's pretty nice; smooth light pull, but the reset is longer than my BCM trigger. He's got about 200 rounds through it with no problems.

I'm very curious how the PNT and the ACT compare. I'm considering both, but part of me says just save up for the Geissele.