PDA

View Full Version : I think the lightweight AR crowd's gone too far...

ColtSeavers
03-03-16, 15:22
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ph1212/products/82/images/579/DSC_0069__73067.1447711667.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

http://f-1firearms.com/bdr-15-3gupper-lower-set/

Really?

I understand the desire to build a special snowflake AR of your own personal pleasure. I'm fine with that.
The above, however, is just absolutely beyond my understanding.

dylank0723
03-03-16, 15:23
I'd probably break it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColtSeavers
03-03-16, 15:31
I'd probably break it

It actually frightens me with just how much (more) can go wrong.

26 Inf
03-03-16, 15:40
They certainly aren't passing the savings in metal along to the consumer. (sarcasm font)

bluebird
03-03-16, 15:42
There's definitely more metal that can be removed.

I don't see this being going too far as long as it's not for combat.

Ick
03-03-16, 15:45
Wow. Imagine firing that thing suppressed!

TMS951
03-03-16, 15:59
Gas in your face much?

GH41
03-03-16, 16:02
It'd be easy to clean and lube and run cool in the rain.

PapaFoxtrot
03-03-16, 16:03
Kind of makes a dust cover seem a bit.... pointless.

Ick
03-03-16, 16:04
A photo of a man firing this new AR15 upper... suppressed.

Benito
03-03-16, 16:12
OP, beat me to the punch by a few minutes. I just saw this thing and shook my head.
Just completely retarded.

The_War_Wagon
03-03-16, 16:30
It WOULD be a hoot to run without gloves and a welding mask! :rolleyes:

Airhasz
03-03-16, 16:38
And at $525 a pop you definitely pay more for less. :)

Torquetard
03-03-16, 17:00
And attach this abomination as well:

http://i.imgur.com/493Lcw8.jpg

wildcard600
03-03-16, 18:04
I would be afraid to fire that thing.

Kenneth
03-03-16, 18:16
Actually several 3 gun guys are running them. Search them on YouTube. They run fine. Not my cup of tea though. My crazy build will be a battle arms milled set haha. That's about as crazy I want.

AM-15
03-03-16, 18:20

That is some funny stuff.
I am still laughing.
Thanks;
Clarence

Uprange41
03-03-16, 18:22
Neat piece of machine work, if nothing else.

Mikill Drengr
03-03-16, 18:28
It doesn't have to be for everyone to be something that sells. And yes 3 gunners are using them in numbers.

Kenneth
03-03-16, 18:31
If you all have never been to a 3 gun match that should be something you go watch. The things those guys do are just awesome. Some crazy build and they abuse the living hell out of them. Just like USPSA competitors. They beat the hell out of those guns as well. That's why I don't buy into certain brands being the end all of reliability. I have seen every brand fail while I was really active in USPSA.

Airhasz
03-03-16, 18:59
Nice gamer gun here:http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ph1212/product_images/uploaded_images/11813237-707874356024881-2057934163343394037-n.jpg?t=1441055998

redmist
03-03-16, 20:49
.98 Lbs????

That's lightweight .308 set territory, without all the holes.

It would be bad if you dropped your rifle, and your head followed it down because your tacti-beard was caught in the carrier group.

Hehe

Ryan

Uprange41
03-03-16, 21:02
It would be bad if you dropped your rifle, and your head followed it down because your tacti-beard was caught in the carrier group.

Sounds like a Fat Tony threat lol.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/regulars/fat-tony-3.png

redmist
03-03-16, 21:32
Sounds like a Fat Tony threat lol.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/regulars/fat-tony-3.png

It would be bad... say.. if perhaps, you were to drop your gun, and your head followed, because your TACTI-BEARD was caught in the carrier group. Now wouldn't it.

OrbitalE
03-03-16, 21:42
None of the material removed is structurally significant. Now would it be possible to damage certain portions of the receiver more easily? Perhaps. Is foreign object ingress a concern? Likely. Are either of those of concern at a 3 gun comp? Not really.

Gamer guns are a large portion of the industry and increasingly responsible for the proliferation of our culture into the mainstream. This is good and should be embraced.

ace4059
03-03-16, 22:10
It would be bad... say.. if perhaps, you were to drop your gun, and your head followed, because your TACTI-BEARD was caught in the carrier group. Now wouldn't it.

LMAO.... I cant stop laughing.

Stickman
03-03-16, 22:16
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ph1212/products/82/images/579/DSC_0069__73067.1447711667.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Really?

I understand the desire to build a special snowflake AR of your own personal pleasure. I'm fine with that.

Is the large hole on the side of the receiver, commonly known as the ejection port door freaking you out any? If not, I don't see why anyone would care about this unless you expected it to be a combat weapon, which clearly is not the intent.

fledge
03-04-16, 00:32
Their stand alone stripped upper is to be released soon. I want one to try out. Reports I'm hearing is that it actually dissipates gas well when shooting suppressed rather than pushing it into your face through the charging handle.

There are real lightweight options of that's what you're after. This set weighs about the same as a standard upper/lower combo.

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 01:14
Is the large hole on the side of the receiver, commonly known as the ejection port door freaking you out any? If not, I don't see why anyone would care about this unless you expected it to be a combat weapon, which clearly is not the intent.

I thought it's intent is to house a reciprocating bolt carrier group that is being powered by igniting a primer that blows up gunpowder and actuating a buffer and spring combination. I don't see that as a combat specific intent or scenario. Do you?

My issue is with the large amount of very important reciprocating mass inside that cheese grater upper now being exposed. God help you if you get a Kaboom (double charge, 'poppa' no kick followed by another round, etc) situation or anything caught inside the upper especially while the BCG is reciprocating for instance.

I would like to see this upper in the upper reciever flex test thread this forum had going awhile ago.

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 02:27
None of the material removed is structurally significant. Now would it be possible to damage certain portions of the receiver more easily? Perhaps. Is foreign object ingress a concern? Likely. Are either of those of concern at a 3 gun comp? Not really.

Gamer guns are a large portion of the industry and increasingly responsible for the proliferation of our culture into the mainstream. This is good and should be embraced.

I abjectly disagree. The entirety of the upper receiver is structurally significant as this forum has shown in the upper receiver flex test. Also both the vastly increased ability to introduce detritus into the upper (especially if somehow while the BCG is actuating) and the lack of material to withstand a kaboom situation are always a concern in any shooting situation.

Mikill Drengr
03-04-16, 03:34
I think this thread is quite amusing, if you don't like it don't buy one.

Ick
03-04-16, 08:30
I see two really good points there.

1. Good point about flex. Would love to see high-speed camera footage to see if there is any flex. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't affect my ability to miss my targets.
2. Good point about this missing metal for kaboom situations. I think I agree, you are giving up some protection.

KalashniKEV
03-04-16, 09:11
I would be afraid to fire that thing.

I wouldn't be afraid, but I might take the weight penalty for a few feet of 100MPH tape to fix that bad boy up.

It would probably look cooler too.

OrbitalE
03-04-16, 10:27
I abjectly disagree. The entirety of the upper receiver is structurally significant as this forum has shown in the upper receiver flex test. Also both the vastly increased ability to introduce detritus into the upper (especially if somehow while the BCG is actuating) and the lack of material to withstand a kaboom situation are always a concern in any shooting situation.

The point you highlighted was speaking to the expansion of our overall culture, which is always good in my opinion.

I disagree regarding foreign object ingress...as the receiver windows just as easily allows egress as well; short of a dust storm as you're on the stage I don't particularly see the problem. Regardless, this receiver set isn't particularly lightweight so I wouldn't be running it in a gamer build anyhow.

The kaboom situation is actually a warranted concern IMO. However, these types of guns aren't /usually/ tuned for the worst case scenario, but for an ideal flow. The requirements aren't likely built around a statistically anomallous occurrence like your standard M4 upper. The end user is /likely/ fine with this.

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 10:48
The point you highlighted was speaking to the expansion of our overall culture, which is always good in my opinion.

I disagree regarding foreign object ingress...as the receiver windows just as easily allows egress as well; short of a dust storm as you're on the stage I don't particularly see the problem. Regardless, this receiver set isn't particularly lightweight so I wouldn't be running it in a gamer build anyhow.

The kaboom situation is actually a warranted concern IMO. However, these types of guns aren't /usually/ tuned for the worst case scenario, but for an ideal flow. The requirements aren't likely built around a statistically anomallous occurrence like your standard M4 upper. The end user is /likely/ fine with this.

One necessary opening (that can be closed off) versus several (unecessary) openings (that are always present) all over the upper reciever result in the same probability of detritus introduction?

No.

Chiral
03-04-16, 10:53
Interesting concept, but not for me. Curious to see this tested hard

OrbitalE
03-04-16, 10:54
That's not what I said; I said the cutouts allow egress as easily as they do ingress. That's all.

We just disagree, so let's agree to disagree. :)

jbjh
03-04-16, 11:42
If you all have never been to a 3 gun match that should be something you go watch. The things those guys do are just awesome. Some crazy build and they abuse the living hell out of them. Just like USPSA competitors. They beat the hell out of those guns as well. That's why I don't buy into certain brands being the end all of reliability. I have seen every brand fail while I was really active in USPSA.

+1
USPSA/IPSC and 3-Gun are proving grounds for much of what we take for granted today. Everything from compensators to red dot sights. I doubt Aimpoint would be what it is today without top competitors using, breaking, modifying and giving feedback to manufacturers.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 12:13
That's not what I said; I said the cutouts allow egress as easily as they do ingress. That's all.

We just disagree, so let's agree to disagree. :)

I owe you an apology as you are indeed correct, I read egress as a second ingress somehow. I apologize for the mistake.

I will agree to disagree as well. :)

ETA:Pretty sure my take on this is fairly well presented so I will bow out of the thread and no longer argue it.

wildcard600
03-04-16, 12:23
I thought it's intent is to house a reciprocating bolt carrier group that is being powered by igniting a primer that blows up gunpowder and actuating a buffer and spring combination. I don't see that as a combat specific intent or scenario. Do you?

My issue is with the large amount of very important reciprocating mass inside that cheese grater upper now being exposed. God help you if you get a Kaboom (double charge, 'poppa' no kick followed by another round, etc) situation or anything caught inside the upper especially while the BCG is reciprocating for instance.

I would like to see this upper in the upper reciever flex test thread this forum had going awhile ago.

This is where my concern would come from as well. Seeing pics of what happens to a standard AR upper when things go awry, i want all of the upper material to be there.

YMMV

jayhowell1215
03-04-16, 14:03
what're we doing today?

Just a little off the top & clean up the sides

me using tapatalk

Press Check
03-04-16, 14:06
If these practically weigh the same as a forged set of receivers, what's with the thread title? They simply appear to be lighter.

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 14:54
If these practically weigh the same as a forged set of receivers, what's with the thread title? They simply appear to be lighter.

From the linked website:

This set was meticulously engineered to be as lightweight as possible, while remaining rigid and cosmetically pleasing.

Not arguing anything about it anymore, just clearing up the reason behind the thread title.

ColdGOOSE1974
03-04-16, 16:55

It's kind of like a stock car(NASCAR). They have a performance edge over a true stock car off the lot, but they sure wouldn't be an everyday driver.

Bayoublaster
03-04-16, 17:21
Kind of makes a dust cover seem a bit.... pointless.

When the local rep had one transferred in through our shop we each asked him why it didn't have a dust cover.

Tzook
03-04-16, 21:47
Wow. Imagine firing that thing suppressed!

Hahahaha now that would be self torture.

Bayoublaster
03-05-16, 10:07
Hahahaha now that would be self torture.

May I interest you in a custom skeletonized gas tube to reduce that pesky blowback? :p

MtnMan6114
03-05-16, 20:08
I would really love...to see a slo-mo of that being fired! I can even see it leading to a cooler barell by dissipating the heat faster.

Benito
03-05-16, 21:21
May I interest you in a custom skeletonized gas tube to reduce that pesky blowback? :p

Lol. Well played.

skimbleshanks
03-07-16, 04:38
Kind of ugly and it doesn't bring anything to the table that I can't achieve easier/cheaper. I'll pass.

XD40Colorado
03-07-16, 18:55

Really?

That thing would gunk up with dirt/grit within 5 minutes of taking it out to the range.

OIPactual
03-07-16, 18:58

I spit coffee on my phone because of this [emoji23]

REdruM0351
03-08-16, 14:56
There comes a time when you just need to hit the gym instead of cutting weight.

JusticeM4
03-08-16, 18:43
Its a neat idea, for a range gun. If weight is your utmost concern, I guess this may be your cup of tea.

I was tested on DemolitionRanch Youtube channel. Worked just fine. I wouldn't buy one myself though.

https://youtu.be/LQalucXr_tQ?t=2m3s

Benito
03-08-16, 23:06
Light weight is great, but slim handguards, fluted and carbon fiber wrapped barrels, titanium parts, polymer this and that all offer that advantage without being relegated only to range use.