PDA

View Full Version : Walther P99 - any update here?

m4brian
03-03-16, 19:50
Rethinking the DA/SA deal, and loving the SP2022. Need something more G19 sized/weight and remembering years ago considering the PPQ over the Glock or M&P. But, because of the large slide stop that I naturally run into with my support thumb, I stayed clear of it. Brake to the P99 - the slide stop is much more subdued, and my thumb doesn't touch it (not enough to matter). The DA seems very good,and the SA is excellent. So... the PPQ has been a smashing success (as it seems here), but no more reports on the P99 lately. Any data here?

pinzgauer
03-03-16, 20:39
Love mine, SA trigger almost as good as PPQ, DA trigger very good as well. Accurate, great ergos reliable easy to shoot.

Can't speak to the slide atop, never had an issue with the PPQ m1 or the P99AS.

It's become my favorite DA/SA

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

operator81
03-03-16, 22:15
If they released a P99 M2, I'd buy 3 on the spot. I love the gun except for the magazine release. All my other pistols and training is centered around the Americanized magazine release and I'm not willing to break it for one pistol.

yrch21
03-04-16, 12:11
If they released a P99 M2, I'd buy 3 on the spot. I love the gun except for the magazine release. All my other pistols and training is centered around the Americanized magazine release and I'm not willing to break it for one pistol.

Aren't the earlier models of Carnik TP9 essentially that? Their latest models seems to have evolved from being heavily influenced by the P99, but the earlier ones looked like P99 with a button mag release. But at the end of the day, they aren't Walther.

mig1nc
03-04-16, 16:56
Pretty much. Actually the TP9v2 I think is also da/sa. As opposed to the TP9SA and SF which are not.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Beef15
03-04-16, 18:53
P99AS is a great gun. Was an absolute steal when I bought the one I had for $365 new. I'd have one now, but I gave it away not knowing the price had massively increased, they've settled down some now, but I don't really want another 9mm.

Most folks stateside don't like DA/SA and paddles when they can have striker fire and the release they're used to. The American market never really took to it.

Mine was very accurate, good trigger either way, and never choked on anything I fed it, though I did not reload at that time. Mags were high back then, and no one had them.

Slater
03-07-16, 08:06
The Canik TP series seems to be selling briskly and getting glowing reviews. Guess the Turks are slowly becoming a factor in the handgun market.

pinzgauer
03-07-16, 08:22
Most folks stateside don't like DA/SA and paddles when they can have striker fire and the release they're used to. The American market never really took to it.

Just a detail, but the P99 is striker fire.

And I find the paddle mag release preferable and faster, but it seems to be very much a personal preference thing.

HeruMew
03-07-16, 09:32
Aren't the earlier models of Carnik TP9 essentially that? Their latest models seems to have evolved from being heavily influenced by the P99, but the earlier ones looked like P99 with a button mag release. But at the end of the day, they aren't Walther.

I have a "Dolphin TP9". Havent had the chance to operate a real P99, but for 299 from JandGsales a few years back, i will not complain. It shoots better then I do. I have the nightsight model, bought mine before they released the two headed vulture model that cones with a low, mid, and high front post options. But, again, it functions and shoots pretty darn great.

Hmac
03-07-16, 10:19
If you like DA/SA, the function and flexibility of the P99AS is sure tough to beat in the compact polymer pistol realm. An alternative might be the Desert Eagle MR9, which is basically the same pistol (Walther frame, DE slide).

I can't speak to the slide stop on the PPQ either. It's never been an issue for me - I vastly prefer the PPQ. On the P99, you do have to be OK with the trigger-guard magazine release. Pretty much zero likelihood that they'll be releasing a P99 M2 anytime soon.