PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia in Texas

Travelingchild
03-03-16, 20:45
In Texas ? Really?
http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/75-rounds-of-ammunition-found-underneath-house-nearby-homes-evacuated

Apologies if this is discussed else ware.

Firefly
03-03-16, 21:04
First of all the old dude that lived there was cool as hell. I bet there's whiskey, pictures of nekkid girlfriends, and maybe even a Thompson/M2 Carbine/AK47 hidden somewhere there too.

And that family is gay, possibly from California, and unfit to lay their sorry heads under the roof of old dude.

ColtSeavers
03-03-16, 21:09
That's just sad. Really really sad. It is even worse when you realize that this feeds into the fear indoctrination and training against firearms. Teach the peasants to PHEAR the evil autonomous self aware inanimate objects known as GUHNZZZ as well as their EVUHL cohorts AAMOH

Holy shit, for a second there, I thought I was in before Firefly.

Firefly
03-03-16, 21:13
Holy shit, for a second there, I thought I was in before Firefly.
Hey, I get bored sometimes. Cut me slack

Kain
03-03-16, 21:17
First off, that isn't paranoia, that my friend is stupidity. The only way it could get worse would be to have blown it in place. Secondly..... aw **** it, they evacuate homes because someone found 75 rounds of old ammo under a house. "It was decades old!" I know guys with thousands of rounds of WWII vintage shit, I can't ****ing imagine what they'd do if they saw that, clear out the entire county? And third, it was weathered and old, then it probably wasn't going to explode unless someone was packing rounds with dynamite. People need a ****ing education.

wildcard600
03-03-16, 21:38
Seriously ? the bomb squad for some old ammo ? That is probably the most idiotic thing i have ever read in my fukcing life.

brushy bill
03-03-16, 22:10
Hang your head and look ashamed time...ridiculous.

MegademiC
03-03-16, 22:14
Sorry, but what the ****. Since when does water cause ammo to explode? It's ammo, not a few dozen jdams. The locals should take action on wasting taxpayer money.

And the family.... good god, I hope they don't have kids. Previous home owner is probably rolling in his grave.

nml
03-03-16, 22:18
Thanks for sharing a whole new level of stupid

SteyrAUG
03-03-16, 22:20
OK, without getting into specifics, when I was about 14 my friends and I discovered a couple live grenades his father brought home as souvenirs from his vietnam experience. They were in the basement in an ammo can next to the rest of his stash.

These were not dummies or deactivated, they were the real thing. We opened the can, picked one up and realized it was the real deal, said "Holy Crap!" and put it back in the ammo can and closed it. We then continued to screw around looking at OD jackets, web gear, knives and similar things of interest.

We didn't even bother to investigate the ammo cans full of "just ammo." The idea that anyone would call the police, let alone evacuate, over 75 rounds of old ammo is simply sad and depressing. I've seen that much live ammo plaque mounted on a wall.

Benito
03-03-16, 23:36
These pathetic people would call 911 if they found a Super Soaker. Seriously, I would strip such retards of citizenship, drop them off in Somalia, and import some deserving freedom-hungry Christian Arabs or Eastern Europeans in their place.

No joke.

Moose-Knuckle
03-04-16, 03:23
Capt. Troy Balcar of the San Antonio Fire Department said a family member found a sealed box with about 75 rounds of decades-old ammunition underneath the house. He said the rounds were about 40 years old, based on a date written on the box. Half a dozen nearby homes were evacuated for about three hours.

This is the second time old ammunition has been found at the home. Just last week, the bomb squad spent about half an hour disposing of shotgun shells found there.

WTF over?!

If Hilary gets in I can see her going after what Obama called; "these guys stockpile ammunition in their homes". Limits, permits, no mail/catalog/internet sales, etc. Go after ammo and you leave We the People with expensive clubs.

And I'll repost this again just cause . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

Averageman
03-04-16, 06:26
It's the Kalifornication of Texas and it's coming to a City near you.
Back in the day some Sweet Lady with a Bee-Hive hairdoo would have crawled under there herself and got the ammo out and then been disappointed because it didn't fit anything She shoots. Oh, and She would have killed a snake while she was at it.

rjacobs
03-04-16, 06:35
They should not come to my house. Would have to evacuate the whole county.

Eurodriver
03-04-16, 07:01
I don't understand this.

If you were an LEO and were called out because of old ammo, wouldn't you just show up? Say "Pick that shit up and throw it away" and go home?

Whiskey_Bravo
03-04-16, 07:07
Wtf, some serious stupidity.

Although San Antonio is not near as conservative as most think. They have some serious libtardness going on there. This is case in point.

J-Dub
03-04-16, 07:21
I don't understand this.

If you were an LEO and were called out because of old ammo, wouldn't you just show up? Say "Pick that shit up and throw it away" and go home?

Ya most people would. But in the day of "its the police's fault", when it comes to anything, would you want to incur the civil liability of telling someone that? Most of the time even for just a suspicious package someone from EOD is going to at least come out and take a look at it. (and after seeing a coworker get stripped and de-con'ed in the middle of the street for opening a backpack with a one pot'er in it I get it)

In these days of frivolous lawsuits if you don't want the Police to show up with Fire, EMS, and anyone else that *might* be needed, DONT CALL THE POLEASE. Because asses will be covered, policy will be followed, because people don't want to get shit canned or sued....or their life completely ruined.

Plus people (like Fire) have to justify their budgets (or lack thereof).

Ick
03-04-16, 08:22
Two ends of a spectrum there.

I found some old ammo. It looks intact, lets get a rifle and see if it still fires.
vs.
I found some old ammo. Call the bomb squad (whilst pees in pants).

Unreal.

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 09:19
Hey, I get bored sometimes. Cut me slack

Full apologies. I really should have put a tongue out emoticon in that last post.

I'm still dismayed at this (second) event.

THCDDM4
03-04-16, 09:24
Bomb squad for shotgun shells? 3 hour evacuation of the neighborhood for 75 rounds.

This sounds like an article straight outta the Onion.

WTF?

austinN4
03-04-16, 09:35
Although San Antonio is not near as conservative as most think.

Does anybody really even still think that? Austin, El Paso, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are majority blue just like most of the large cities in the US are.

From Wiki re 2012:

"Mitt Romney won the state of Texas with 57.17%, over Barack Obama's 41.38%, a margin of 15.78%. As in past elections, President Obama and the Democrats won in major metropolitan areas such as Austin, El Paso, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston, but Republicans were able to overwhelm the urban vote by sweeping the vast rural areas and suburbs of Texas by large margins."

TAZ
03-04-16, 10:01
That captain is a freaking retard of epic proportions.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-04-16, 10:05

Without a doubt.

"This is definitely a big danger, because they've been under there so long," Balcar said. "They've rusted, they've been exposed to the weather, elements outside so we definitely want to get them disposed of as quickly as possible."

tarkeg
03-04-16, 10:06

This.

brickboy240
03-04-16, 10:37
I currently have 4 wooden cases of 250rd belts of Mk7 303 British ammo in my house. That stuff is dated April 1945 and also says "For Vickers Machine Gun" stamped in red on the top of each crate.

Wouldn't that San Antonio police unit crap egg rolls if they came upon THAT in a search? LOL

Funny thing is that the one crate I opened and shot a few rounds through my Enfields with, I got several hang fires and many duds.

(relax, the Brits used the same pressure 303 ammo in both Vickers MGs and Enfield rifles....British Mk7 ball is Mk7 ball for both arms. My classic Enfleids were in no danger in firing that ammo at all.)

So chances are that 75rds they found were complete duds and harmless.

People get worked up over nothing but a major city bomb squad unit SHOULD know the difference and not evacuate a neighborhood for something that silly...sorry!

SOWT
03-04-16, 11:25

and our Chief is worse

cobra90gt
03-04-16, 17:57
I thought I was reading an article from "the onion" website. LOL

I figured maybe during the previous call for service, an inert explosive device (or replica?) was located amongst various rounds of ammunition and gave the PD/FD cause for concern during this second call to the home.

On a related note, it's definitely odd to see the type of things (ammo, firearms, etc) people turn in to LE from their loved ones' collections when they stumble upon such caches and want nothing to do with those particular items that so many others are fond of.

duece71
03-05-16, 07:27
Hysteria. I saw a video that a fire department made.......showed setting a case of shotgun ammo on fire. A couple of rounds cooked off but NO major explosion at all. The department also shot at a case of maybe shotgun or handgun ammo......NO rounds cooked off at all. I thought Texas was better than this.......oh well.

JackFanToM
03-05-16, 09:10
As a kid in Germany, living off base in Dechsendorf (outside of Erlangen), I dug up live ordinance pretty regularly. The German family we rented from just laughed, called the police and they came and took it away. One time I dug up a box fulla Nazi rank insignia, medals, marks with swastikas on them, buttons, etc. No one laughed then, and they were not happy that we decided to keep them. I still have some of the items (iron 10 pfennig with a swastika on the back is one I still have). Anyway, I digress, people in Europe probably uncover live rounds from ww2 pretty regularly, and I doubt anyone is evacuated.

Moose-Knuckle
03-06-16, 02:09
Hysteria. I saw a video that a fire department made.......showed setting a case of shotgun ammo on fire. A couple of rounds cooked off but NO major explosion at all. The department also shot at a case of maybe shotgun or handgun ammo......NO rounds cooked off at all. I thought Texas was better than this.......oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

_Stormin_
03-06-16, 07:04
These pathetic people would call 911 if they found a Super Soaker.

This... Entirely this. We have gotten to the point now where these idiots are punishing kids in schools for drawing a gun on paper. I really can't believe that less than 20 years ago I took FIREARM SAFETY in school...

polydeuces
03-06-16, 08:58
As a kid in Germany, living off base in Dechsendorf (outside of Erlangen), I dug up live ordinance pretty regularly. The German family we rented from just laughed, called the police and they came and took it away. One time I dug up a box fulla Nazi rank insignia, medals, marks with swastikas on them, buttons, etc. No one laughed then, and they were not happy that we decided to keep them. I still have some of the items (iron 10 pfennig with a swastika on the back is one I still have). Anyway, I digress, people in Europe probably uncover live rounds from ww2 pretty regularly, and I doubt anyone is evacuated.

Bingo.
I grew up in a bordertown that saw very heavy fighting and bombardments.
Unexploded ordnance (bombs landmines etc by the boatloads.)
We used to find live rounds all time as kids diging around in 'battlefields'
Got really good at taking it apart. Vice, pliers and voila, you had some genuine madein the US powder (rods!) which you then lite in the classroom, really pissing off the teacher.
No one got evacuated, idid get my ass handed by my teacher a few times though. Somehow he didnt appciate the disruption.

BuzzinSATX
03-06-16, 11:08
In Texas ? Really?
http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/75-rounds-of-ammunition-found-underneath-house-nearby-homes-evacuated

Apologies if this is discussed else ware.

Like others said, San Antonio is no bastion of liberty. Better than Austin, but not by much, as you can tell by our former Marxsist mayor being one of the little douchbags being touted as a possible running mate for HRC. This event was embarrassing to say the least, and the "on-site commander" needs some "remedial training" for wasting city resources.

But I will say one thing, and I do not know if this is related or not, but the city and the first responders unions are in a heated battle over their contract, and perhaps the fire chief was trying to use this to play up how 'important' a role they play in the city safety... Again, not sure if this is related or not.

BuzzinSATX
03-07-16, 07:27
Edits to soften my last post a bit...due to an overreaction on my part to the overreaction on the part of the SA first responder commander.

But IMO, politics and the "optics" played a major role in this fiasco.

Take Care,

Buzz

PatrioticDisorder
03-07-16, 07:35
Can't be a real news story, has to be satire.

brickboy240
03-07-16, 10:58
San Antonio is very much like Austin, Dallas and yes...Houston.

Inner city is pretty liberal but the outlying suburban areas are very, very conservative. Both La Rue and STI are located in areas right outside Austin. The largest Tea Party organizations in America also reside in Houston's suburbs of Sugar Land and the Woodlands.

austinN4
03-07-16, 11:19
Both La Rue and STI are located in areas right outside Austin.

Magpul and Silencer Shop are within the city limits.

Moose-Knuckle
03-07-16, 11:47
Magpul and Silencer Shop are within the city limits.

Not to mention some of the best eating spots on the planet. It's not all bad . . .

brickboy240
03-07-16, 14:52
This whole state has great places to eat.

Between the Mexican food, Cajun food, barbecue and everything else, it is very hard NOT to be overweight in this state! LOL

Some poll had Houston as one of the "fattest cities in America" well no shit, Sherlock....have you SEEN our restaurant scene? LOL