PDA

View Full Version : Keanu Reeves shooting 3 gun - Prep for John Wick 2. (video)

foxtrotx1
03-03-16, 23:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpr8oqyjKIc&feature=youtu.be

Looks like he has put some work into learning his way around a gun.

Vandal
03-03-16, 23:22
I saw that today, looks like he's put in the time and ammo to learn to run those guns. You don't get to be like that over night.

Loved John Wick, can't wait for number 2.

AKDoug
03-03-16, 23:34
I've never competed in three gun. Is his transition from rifle to pistol, flipping the rifle around the back and sweeping the camera man, allowed? I was taught to transition to the pistol by keeping the rifle out front and accessible.

Benito
03-03-16, 23:44
That was pretty cool.

Linebacker
03-03-16, 23:45
Gezz, that cat can move.

foxtrotx1
03-03-16, 23:57
I've never competed in three gun. Is his transition from rifle to pistol, flipping the rifle around the back and sweeping the camera man, allowed? I was taught to transition to the pistol by keeping the rifle out front and accessible.

Rifles are usually dumped in a barrel, so no transitions like that. I think hes just working on it for the film.

MountainRaven
03-04-16, 00:02

I've seen a few guys push their rifles off to the side during transitions: A local-to-me retired SEAL-turned-firearms instructor, Jason Falla, and Pat McNamara (if memory serves).

An issue I have run into with keeping the rifle up front is that I frequently will get the buttstock of the rifle either in my face or smashing into the bottom of my jaw. Pushing the rifle off to the side solves that issue.

Endur
03-04-16, 00:19
Good stuff and cannot wait for numero dos.

ramairthree
03-04-16, 00:32
Any multi gun I have been to has cheesy transitions.
Put down pistol. Put long gun in barrel, etc.

He is doing real transitions. Sweeping vs let it hang which takes more time and he is kicking ass in my opinion.

I personally would not want to get in a real gun fight with him.

I am impressed.

I suspect he has a degree of natural talent most don't.

I suspect he has been putting in serious, for real training time.

I Would like to note the cool looking center axis stuff for some reason is not seen when actually hitting targets. Hopefully in the sequel they will save it for when he is getting rolled up inside a smart car or in a prequel in a phone booth or something.

Tzook
03-04-16, 01:59
It's pretty damn cool to see a Hollywood celeb who can run and gun. It seems that he is very good, obviously a lot of hard work on his part.

I wonder if he's as liberal and ridiculous as most of Hollywood. I bet as much time as he's obviously spent in the gun community he might not be.

Moose-Knuckle
03-04-16, 03:06
I wonder who he as been training with?

Former SAS Mich Gould has trained many actors in films (Heat, Collateral, just to name a few).

Sam
03-04-16, 06:22
I wonder who he as been training with?

Taran Butler.

Averageman
03-04-16, 06:28
That's Cool.
I hope he comes out and speaks up for the 2nd now.

Brahmzy
03-04-16, 07:36
Wow. Who knew!

Dist. Expert 26
03-04-16, 08:43
Dude could give some of the top 3 gun guys a run for their money. Color me impressed.

Firefly
03-04-16, 08:55
I did not think I would like John Wick but the plot was probably the best I've seen in a movie.

Don't mess with a man's badass car or his dog. Excellent moral. Doesn't need to go any deeper than that.

This is a promising taste of things to come.

Also it seems Taran Butler shoots with a lot of Hollywood types. I'm sure there's a lot of actors who would love to be all for guns and so on but kinda can't because of blacklisting.

tarkeg
03-04-16, 09:00
Taran Butler.

Bingo. When I heard a while back that Keanu was training with Taran for John Wick 2, I knew he was going to be putting in some real work. If you watch the John Wick DVD, in the special features there is some footage of his training for that movie. Pretty impressive.

And that is not a 3-gun match in the video. No ruleset out there allows "hot" reholstering of a pistol during the COF.

Arik
03-04-16, 09:08
It's pretty damn cool to see a Hollywood celeb who can run and gun. It seems that he is very good, obviously a lot of hard work on his part.

I wonder if he's as liberal and ridiculous as most of Hollywood. I bet as much time as he's obviously spent in the gun community he might not be.
From the interviews I've read he's indifferent to guns. Pro ownership but doesn't own any. Kinda like if you like them cool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 09:16
From the interviews I've read he's indifferent to guns. Pro ownership but doesn't own any. Kinda like if you like them cool.

This is what I remember reading as well. Like a lot of people I knew in the ARMY, you want one (or more), have at it, it's your right, otherwise, no real particular personal interest in them other than them being another type of tool.

THCDDM4
03-04-16, 09:19
Ted Theodore Logan can shoot! Wild Stallions style!

Pretty impressive really.

Koshinn
03-04-16, 09:28
I've seen Will Smith and Tom Cruise do similar.

They should have a 2 or 3 gun competition between the 3 of them.

sadmin
03-04-16, 09:30
That guy is a regular blue flame special...

docsherm
03-04-16, 10:30
Nice shooting Ted..... ;)

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTC9jcdp3EIfFgv1VDFADn1la3M8_xgKB3TR48jZLsUd-lLywvcEA

Rayrevolver
03-04-16, 12:09

I took a locally taught pistol/carbine class (WA state) and the one of the transitions taught was similar-ish, but was a malfunction drill so the rifle needs to be out of the way. I want to say I was a little more controlled with the primary but I was also working at 1/10 his speed.

Digital_Damage
03-04-16, 14:00

In competition it is just dumped into a drum.

In my combat training I was always taught to push it out of the way to prevent injury to yourself. There is a reason you are going to secondary, the primary has failed you.

Moose-Knuckle
03-04-16, 14:55
Taran Butler.

Cool, thx.

In the special features on the Collateral bluray there are some vids of Tom Cruise shooting drills under the watchful eye of Mich Gould. A lot of people hate on Cruise cause he's small, in a cult, etc. but the man can ****'n shoot. And according to a LAV post here he is also an avid 1911 guy.

Tzook
03-04-16, 15:31

I've also heard that Tom Cruise is a pretty impressive pistol shooter. His gunslinging in Collateral is really well done.

Koshinn
03-04-16, 15:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMMLF1x_mOc

JC5188
03-04-16, 19:04
I've also heard that Tom Cruise is a pretty impressive pistol shooter. His gunslinging in Collateral is really well done.

Alley scene is epic. Double tap, failure drill, then coup de gras from a single draw.

http://youtu.be/xDqLOJy0O_A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed L.
03-04-16, 20:46
Not to be a cynic, but I would have liked to have seen the targets and where the hits were.

Jer
03-04-16, 21:00
Not to be a cynic, but I would have liked to have seen the targets and where the hits were.

It's pretty obvious with the shotgun and even at those ranges the speed he was running it upped the degree of difficulty. That headshot after running the tube & dropping the spare shell in from the side saddle (nice technique BTW) was pretty impressive for any shooter. So, yeah, you are being a cynic even though you said you're not. My guess is that those paper and cardboard targets were properly poked just as well.

Also, most 3-guns you go to will be barrels for long guns and safe zones for handguns. We run private matches pretty regularly where you do lots of transitions and running and all sorts of things but this isn't something we do with inexperienced shooters. Hell, even the guy that owns the range (plus the instructor for the area plus LE) managed to ND into his right thigh upon reholster because he didn't clear the trigger guard of his bugger hook so shit still happens and there's a reason that most public type courses don't do such things with life fire.

Kenneth
03-04-16, 21:01

He's been training with Taran Butler. 3 gun rules most likely. Any two hits in paper. It's still very impressive.

daddyusmaximus
03-04-16, 21:03
Never seen collateral, but it looks good. I liked John Wick, and looks like I'll enjoy the 2nd one as well. That clip had some good shooting in it. Realistic in how you would act when not on some stupid range. I never could get the whole throw the gun in the barrel crap.

Kenneth
03-04-16, 21:07
^^^ never seen collateral?!? One of the best gun play movies there is.

usmcvet
03-04-16, 21:21
Bingo. When I heard a while back that Keanu was training with Taran for John Wick 2, I knew he was going to be putting in some real work. If you watch the John Wick DVD, in the special features there is some footage of his training for that movie. Pretty impressive.

And that is not a 3-gun match in the video. No ruleset out there allows "hot" reholstering of a pistol during the COF.

I liked that. It's more realistic. I saw this earlier today on FB and had no idea who it was! I just thought it was a cool video.

This looks awesome too.

http://resurgence3gun.com

I hope it spreads to the East Coast Soon!

Big A
03-04-16, 21:43
^^^ never seen collateral?!? One of the best gun play movies there is.

I know, right?

"You killed him"

"No. I shot him. The bullets and the fall killed him."

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-05-16, 13:02
Funny thing is that if he shot bad guys that fast in the movie, people wouldn't be able to follow and the movie would be half as long.

Firefly
03-05-16, 16:35
He needs new bad guys.
Russian mobsters are boring.
The Strike Back guys killed people from LA to Tokyo.
Chechens, Arabs, Yakuza, Africans white and black, Koreans, Colombians, hillbilly mercenaries, old IRA guys, and whomever they didn't kill; they impregnated.

Jer
03-05-16, 23:33
He needs new bad guys.
Russian mobsters are boring.
The Strike Back guys killed people from LA to Tokyo.
Chechens, Arabs, Yakuza, Africans white and black, Koreans, Colombians, hillbilly mercenaries, old IRA guys, and whomever they didn't kill; they impregnated.

Man I miss that show.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-06-16, 08:50
Man I miss that show.

I miss it from when it was good. The last few seasons started to show some sloppiness.

Jer- where do you shoot three gun? I haven't shot in a while since the kids were taking up time, but the boy is starting to be the excuse to go shooting. That and I hate shotgun stages. If the zombie apocalypse comes and I'll I have is a 12 gauge pump, I'll just shoot myself.

tarkeg
03-06-16, 18:49
I liked that. It's more realistic. I saw this earlier today on FB and had no idea who it was! I just thought it was a cool video.

This looks awesome too.

I hope it gains popularity after their inaugural run this year. I'm already signed up.

Firefly
03-06-16, 19:05
I wanna do tgat resurgence but don't have time or money right now.

Otherwise I'd get my fat ass out there in desert tigers and get dirty.

I hope it catches on and spreads

usmcvet
03-06-16, 19:24
I wanna do tgat resurgence but don't have time or money right now.

Otherwise I'd get my fat ass out there in desert tigers and get dirty.

I hope it catches on and spreads

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

MountainRaven
03-06-16, 21:28

This looks awesome too.

Neat.

But there's a shotgun involved. And I'm guessing that it isn't going to be used for breaching.

ETA: Rules seem wonky. At one point they mention the 6.5mm Grendel (and 6.8mm SPC and 300 BLK) as a minor caliber... and then mention that only military calibers are allowed. Which the 6.5mm Grendel and 6.8mm SPC are not. I'm not sure that 300 BLK should qualify either, given it's very limited issuance. And then "rifles must be equipped with battle sights", but "no [...] dual aperture sights" which rules out M16A2s (and similar), ARs with "chop-mod" rear sights, Magpul MBUS sights, Troy BUIS, AKS-74Us, and many others that I'm sure I'm not thinking of.

And while shotguns are in the competition, at least it appears there is no penalty for rocking a VEPR 12 or Saiga. So there is that. And if I were going to buy a "combat" shotgun, it would probably be the VEPR. I'm not sure who makes magazine pouches for the VEPR and Saiga, though....

"5.10. No neon colored mag base pads, mag carriers, holsters or brightly colored magazines are allowed, We find them offensive in this format."

(Emphasis mine.) Lawl.

"6.4. An empty magazine may be placed in the pistol to keep dirt out of the magazine well during stages where the pistol will not be used. If this option is used, the magazine must be an inert "BLUE" safety magazine only"

(Emphasis mine.) Double-lawl.

So which is it? An empty magazine or an inert, neon-colored safety magazine? Are bright colors offensive or aren't they? (And if they are, why are they?)

"4.3. No compensators on any weapon unless general military or in issue form."

So does this mean that everybody can rock an AK-74 or Mk12-type brake on their guns? What about the SEI brake they make for the USCG's M14s?

Of this at the end there is...

"13.3. Rifle muzzle brakes / compensators will be permitted as long as they are not longer than 3" or have a diameter larger than 1"."

Which means they need to alter or remove 4.3.

"4.2.2. Rifles are allowed any single optic [2016 addendum]"

So Leupold VX-6 1-6x good, Aimpoint with flip-to-side magnifier not.

I like the idea, but they need to have somebody proofread the rules.

And drop that f___ing load of deadweight known as the shotgun.

And add the dates to the match schedule.

And change the match schedule to Mon-Fri. (It's five days long. Some people are going to have to drive or fly. And they're going to need time to get home and get to sleep so they can go to work the next day.)

Jer
03-06-16, 23:30
I miss it from when it was good. The last few seasons started to show some sloppiness.

Jer- where do you shoot three gun? I haven't shot in a while since the kids were taking up time, but the boy is starting to be the excuse to go shooting. That and I hate shotgun stages. If the zombie apocalypse comes and I'll I have is a 12 gauge pump, I'll just shoot myself.

Agreed about the last 2.5 seasons or so but prior to that it was one of the best shows on TV.

Back in Nebraska (where I'm from originally.. just there today zeroing & testing some new firearms in fact) is where I did a majority of my 3-gun & New Mexico was where a lot of the precision competitive shooting I did took place. It's been a bit though since I've done either.

Firefly
03-06-16, 23:37
I just want a shoot match with some hiking, shooting, precision rifle, fighting carbine, and pistol. Anything goes.
Guys tired, bitching about gear, impromptu karaoke/rap battles, cooking out, and just hanging.

Jer
03-06-16, 23:40
I just want a shoot match with some hiking, shooting, precision rifle, fighting carbine, and pistol. Anything goes.
Guys tired, bitching about gear, impromptu karaoke/rap battles, cooking out, and just hanging.

I think you'd get along with our group. ;-)

SteyrAUG
03-07-16, 01:12
Man I miss that show.

I miss it, but it was time to bring it to an end. They had clearly exhausted the plausible story lines and in the last two seasons the bad guys were far less challenging.

Moose-Knuckle
03-07-16, 11:29

Here you go bro . . .

2016 SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

You and your partner will undergo tests involving: land navigation; practical shooting with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; fieldcraft; problem solving; and other related tasks.

Two-man teams will be required to navigate at least 25 miles on foot to complete the course.
Along the way, there will be a series of tasks to accomplish to gain additional points. These tasks may include: shooting problems with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; problem-solving; physical challenges; fieldcraft; communication; target recognition; memory; and other tasks.

http://competition-dynamics.com/sniper-adventure-challenge-2016/

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-18-16, 08:18
https://youtu.be/1RKISkjMtPU

https://youtu.be/1RKISkjMtPU

I don't know the guy he is training with. Not as slick as the 3-gun shooting. He seems to really put time in, struggle and work through stuff.

That sling looks annoying.

One thing I took away from the first video is that he actually shoots 3-gun faster than he shoots in movies. I think people wouldn't be able to follow and appreciate the action at the 3-gun pace.

chuckman
10-18-16, 08:29

Lol....you just described my last MEU workup....

Turnkey11
10-18-16, 11:24

Throw in swimming and climbing/rappelling.

nml
10-18-16, 16:59
Tactical turtle

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OivUW6Rl7F8/TGB3uO4j-PI/AAAAAAAALfE/npgdL88JOIY/s400/tacticalturtle.jpg