PDA

View Full Version : GI Barrel nut wrench ...which one ?

ww2farmer
03-04-16, 10:12
All of my "builds" so far have been simple so far.............I.E. me assembling the lowers, and putting "pre-assembled" uppers from the like of BCM, PSA, etc...on them. Have some stripped uppers now, and several barrel assemblies with FSB and standard GI style barrel nuts. What is a "good" inexpensive wrench for this..........I will avoid the $20 ebay cheapos, but not interested in the $60+ Magpul wrench. DPMS? Tapco? (I have the Tapco stock wrench and it's pretty good despite being made by Tapco) Other?? I am a lone wolf in my circle of local friends who build AR's in liking the standard FSB/delta ring arrangement, they all have free floated stuff with various proprietary wrenches and couldn't offer any help/advise. Thanks guys.

BrigandTwoFour
03-04-16, 10:43
I have the Magpul wrench, which I find very nice. But if you don't want to go there, Brownells sells one for $45 (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/ar-15-armorer-s-wrench-prod80294.aspx). Smith Enterprises also has a wrench for $60, but it seems that is more than you want to spend.

titsonritz
03-04-16, 11:05
I use the Magpul Armorer's also. It's like cheating.

OrbitalE
03-04-16, 11:20
If you're going to be building more than one upper...the Magpul wrench is awesome. The tolerance seems better than the Tapco I've got, it doesn't slip as easily, the finish doesn't wear as easily, and it just works well. Hard to qualify since it's "just" a wrench, but I believe in having the right tool for the right job.

wildcard600
03-04-16, 12:17
If you are doing multiples, don't cheap out and get the magpul or similar quality wrench. The cheap ones are garbage.

Iraqgunz
03-04-16, 13:39
Magpul simply because it is well made and does more than just a barrel. For the price and function it's hard to beat.

ww2farmer
03-04-16, 14:27
Looks like I'll just spend the extra $$ and go for the Magpul then if it's that much better than everything else.....................damn them...........they get enough of my money as it is. LOL

ColtSeavers
03-04-16, 14:56
Another Magpul armorer's wrench user here. Really is a nice tool.

AM-15
03-04-16, 18:01
I have retired from turning a wrench in the automotive industry after 35 years.
One thing learned is not to skimp on a proper tool.
Pay once and use the hell out of it.
And yes, I use a Magpul wrench :)

Clarence

Hart
03-04-16, 21:03
Spikes Tactical makes a fantastic USGI barrel nut wrench. Has very tight tolerances and will not slip. Their
castle nut wrench is very good also.

http://www.spikestactical.com/tools-st-usgi-barrel-nut-wrench-12-drive-p-563.html

SteveL
03-04-16, 21:04
Magpul simply because it is well made and does more than just a barrel. For the price and function it's hard to beat.

What he said.

clarkz71
03-05-16, 02:12
I have retired from turning a wrench in the automotive industry after 35 years.
One thing learned is not to skimp on a proper tool.
Pay once and use the hell out of it.
And yes, I use a Magpul wrench :)

Clarence

Same here, 30 years as a Mercedes Tech, no question the MagPul armorors
wrench is worth every penny.

I posted a review in the Magpul forum.

firefighter37
03-05-16, 02:14
Magpul wrench goes on sale every once in a while, if you are not in a hurry.

clarkz71
03-05-16, 02:21
Best deal I've seen at Botach $69.95 and free shipping

https://www.botach.com/magpul-mag535-ar15-m4-armorers-wrench/

skimbleshanks
03-08-16, 19:04
PRI barrel nut wrench has served me well.~$25