PDA

View Full Version : Numbering Your Magazines

Lamented
03-04-16, 19:34
Please post pics of your method for numbering your magazines. Looking to number mine with stencils.

223to45
03-04-16, 19:38
No pics, but I just a white paint pen.
Mag number then group number

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

docsherm
03-04-16, 19:49
Just out of curiosity why are you going to number them?

rapomstage3
03-04-16, 19:50
Stencils? Little fancy. I mark numbers and initials in at least two spots on ar mags. .300 blk also will say .300 and I keep these separate religiously. Pistol mags number and initials on one side and every baseplate. I just use a silver paint sharpie. Messy writing and all.

rapomstage3
03-04-16, 19:51
Easier to keep track of malfunctions.

mack7.62
03-04-16, 19:56
Stencils? Obviously you don't have enough mags. :) Sharpie makes silver, gold and bronze markers that work great.

docsherm
03-04-16, 19:59
I am not trimg to play stump the chump. OK, ligit answer. I just throw them away if they malfunction. It is usually cheaper to buy an new one then get replacement parts.

Unless you are in a Commie place and have preban mags....completely different story then.

El Cid
03-04-16, 20:07
I am not trimg to play stump the chump. OK, ligit answer. I just throw them away if they malfunction. It is usually cheaper to buy an new one then get replacement parts.

Unless you are in a Commie place and have preban mags....completely different story then.

I do it for the same reason I number my pistol mags. As you know, a single malfunction may be caused by a variety of things. But if I have malfunctions and every time it's the same mag I know it's time to ditch it.

joe138
03-04-16, 20:10
I mark mine so they don't go missing at the range. Guys who wouldn't take a dollar will walk off with gear all day long.

MistWolf
03-04-16, 20:15

So you can tell which ones are yours after dumping them on the ground at a carbine class

Here's a good thread- https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?45553-NEVER-AGAIN!!-(updated-with-tutorial)-and-cheesy-poll

Tzook
03-04-16, 20:32
I mark mine so they don't go missing at the range. Guys who wouldn't take a dollar will walk off with gear all day long.

That actually is true.

And I'll admit, that I have done this on accident. I get home from range with some buddies and then I realize, "oh shit, I have a couple rifle mags that aren't mine"

usmcvet
03-04-16, 20:48

I don't number mine I put my radio number M562 or my initials On my mags. I use a silver sharpie on my Glock mags. A black or silver on my PMags depending on the color. Kinda like I wrote my name on inside my baseball cap as a kid so I'd know which one was mine. Nobody was trying to steal it. They just all looked exactly the same. Makes it easier to ID your mags after you've run a qualification or course of fire.

SteveL
03-04-16, 20:58
I number mine with stencils. It helps me keep track of them at the range and also allows me to track malfunctions if necessary.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/AR/20160304_215552_zpssp7ymkxl.jpg

seb5
03-04-16, 21:02
Several yers ago when I was taking several classes a year and shooting a lot while on the tac team I used A 1-12, B1-12 and so on. I usually went to a class with 24-48 mags, cause loading sucked compared to shooting. Now I just keep my initials on them so as not to loose them to the others at the range. Now days though I'm usually the only guy with GI mags with magpul followers so mine are easy to ID.

Lamented
03-05-16, 01:48
I number mine with stencils. It helps me keep track of them at the range and also allows me to track malfunctions if necessary.

Very Nice!

556BlackRifle
03-05-16, 02:50
I use a silver paint pen on mine. Great legibility and is pretty resilient but, after seeing the stencils I'm probably going to give that a try with my next batch of new mags.

ggammell
03-05-16, 03:57
1. Ownership (mags 1-3) are always my dept issue mags. And which are my mags in general once dropped at the range.
2. Problem may identification

Metallic ink sharpies work okay but will rub off over time. Paint sharpies seem to do better. On PMAGs I use the dot matrix. Badge number on one side, mag number on the other.

lvrjcdr
03-05-16, 07:37
I use a silver or bronze sharpie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

hotrodder636
03-05-16, 09:26
Kind of nerdy method but I use the dot matrix on my PMAG gen 3s (similar with Lancers) and number them in binary. Something not many people will do (I imagined) and makes it easy to track mine down when at the range with others or in class.
For all other mags, just binary numbering on the bottom of the mag. I use yellow paint for my .300 BLK and white paint for 5.56.

PrivateCitizen
03-05-16, 13:07
I don't number them but I do mark them as mine. The only other thing I do is make an additional mark after I have used it 5 times without issue.

Since I started doing this I only had one go bad, a USGI from BCM if I recall. I marked it with a hash. I got to three on it and just tossed it. 10 bone replacement not worth the trouble of fixing.

remington79
03-05-16, 13:42
In addition to some of the reasons listed above I also number them to keep track of practice mags and mags that I want to take better care of for carry. Right now all I have to mark my mags is some car touch up paint that's in the little bottles. I can only use the brush part and it does tend to write a bit sloppy so I have only marked a few mags with it. My other mags are in black Sharpie since that's all I had at the time. You can still read the black Sharpie on the black mags. I don't really need the numbers to be bright.

SRT72
03-05-16, 15:30
I just use a sharpie marker and write it in a couple spots. Reason to mark them. I was in a class last week and my gun malfunctioned 4 or 5 times. Every time was with mag number 7 which is now thrown away. 800 rounds no malfunctions with any other mag. You should definitely number mags.

3 AE
03-05-16, 16:00
I have several dozen Gen "M" Pmags that I use at the range and for classes. I gave them a short blast of hot pink spray paint on both sides. In five years, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY has walked off with my mags intentionally or not. They don't even bother to acknowledge them on the ground. It's like there's a force field around them! Problem solved, problem staying solved! Hot pink leads the way!

Lefty223
03-05-16, 17:18
I number mine, w/ my initials, plus also use those 'magazine ID bands' (for caliber) by Faxon Arms.

See: http://faxonfirearms.com/magazine-marker-bands/

RichFitz
03-05-16, 17:42
Kind of nerdy method but I use the dot matrix on my PMAG gen 3s (similar with Lancers) and number them in binary. Something not many people will do (I imagined) and makes it easy to track mine down when at the range with others or in class.
For all other mags, just binary numbering on the bottom of the mag. I use yellow paint for my .300 BLK and white paint for 5.56.

This is the official dot matrix guide for M3 PMags

Iraqgunz
03-05-16, 17:48
I can't count that high, so for now my mags are not marked. When I am shooting if I encounter an issue, they get segregated immediately. In the previous carbine courses I went to, I was able to track my mags without a problem.

MtnMan6114
03-05-16, 19:38
I do it for the same reason I number my pistol mags. As you know, a single malfunction may be caused by a variety of things. But if I have malfunctions and every time it's the same mag I know it's time to ditch it.

Good stuff to know, (as well as keeping them from walking off at the range).
They also sell, (Grainger has them) colored paint markers-see if I can find a hot pink one LOL!
Thanks guys!

Circle_10
03-05-16, 20:38
Stencils and tan spray paint. I did it just prior to taking a carbine class a couple years back.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Circle_10/Mobile%20Uploads/8717b5bf-001b-4fef-ba28-134545897456.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Circle_10/Mobile%20Uploads/f118f549-4c64-49e4-beb1-5622e7a6489f.jpg

"19" is as high as my numbering goes even though I've bought dozens of mags post-panic. I don't actually use that many others besides those nineteen numbered gen 2s.

hotrodder636
03-05-16, 21:00
LOL, I know how to make the alphabet work in the dot matrix. I just wanted to use binary numbering.

This is the official dot matrix guide for M3 PMags

T2C
03-05-16, 21:30
I never marked AR magazines. I marked M-14/M1A magazines, because different magazines applied different amounts of pressure to the bottom of the bolt and shifted the point of impact at distance.

AR magazines had little effect on shift in POI, so I never bothered to number them. If I started to have problems with an AR magazine, I would wrap red or orange tape around the magazine to identify it as a problem. If a magazine had persistent problems, I would toss it in the trash.

cd228
03-06-16, 09:08
I have several dozen Gen "M" Pmags that I use at the range and for classes. I gave them a short blast of hot pink spray paint on both sides. In five years, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY has walked off with my mags intentionally or not. They don't even bother to acknowledge them on the ground. It's like there's a force field around them! Problem solved, problem staying solved! Hot pink leads the way!
I know a training center and a few fire fighters who do the same with their tools. Since they started painting them pink, they haven't lost any thing.

556BlackRifle
03-06-16, 09:49

I know a training center and a few fire fighters who do the same with their tools. Since they started painting them pink, they haven't lost any thing.

When I was a young deputy (early 1980s) we had a pink room for misbehaving prisoners. None of them liked being in the pink room and most of them were well behaved after their first time in there.

usmcvet
03-06-16, 14:35
The local sheriffs department paints their leg iorns and transport chains/cuffs pink too. It works.

nova3930
03-06-16, 17:23
other than stenciling 300 mags I just use the silver sharpee. number them and I designate the few mags of gold dots I have

ColtSeavers
03-06-16, 17:50
Use to buy pink/purple bics for anti 'smoker's habit' lighter theft.

I just use a silver sharpie. I do not number my mags, just initial. First mag malfunction, it gets a slash. Second mag malfunction, it gets an X. Third malfunction and it gets trashed.

Firefly
03-06-16, 18:36
The only people I've seen number magazines were dudes at IPSC matches. One guy told me it's so he knows when to replace a spring in his 2011 race gun mag. Those mags are pricey and not really "disposable"

Most I've ever done was initial or write last name in silver or white Sharpie on my Glock Duty mags or personal pmags Ive taken to training or keep in jump bag because some people are thieving bastards but there ya go