PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of 6.5 upper...

buckshot1220
08-18-08, 22:50
After using a bolt action 30-06 for deer season the past seven years I've decided I might set up my AR platform for this coming season. I've done some research and I'm thinking the 6.5 Grendel fits the bill as I also want something to do some long range practice with. Here is what I was thinking.

16" barrel and bolt from AA on a mil-spec (maybe CMT?) upper with Hogue free float tube , Harris Bi-pod, low profile gas block, compatible muzzle brake and a quality ~2.5-10x~ optic. Upper will go on a complete Bushmaster lower I already own.

Most of my shots will be within 150yds, the game as mentioned will be deer, but also possibly bear. What are your thoughts?

Lastly, anyone have any input on how much the 16" barrel will effect/detract from the accuracy/energy of the round?

Thanks in advance.

Grendelizer
08-18-08, 23:13
Your build plan sounds good! When you're playing with barrel length, you're playing with velocity, which, in turn, is playing with trajectory. It is what it is and the decision is your personal choice. For hunting at 150 yards, it'll be about the perfect balance between ballistic performance and usability and handling. Using the same barrel for longer-range, non-competitive target shooting should also be fine, because you'll mostly be shooting at known distances where you can dial in your bullet drop.

John