PDA

View Full Version : My "retro" son

MarshallDodge
08-18-08, 22:56
My ten year old son has accumulated a little cash and would like to get an AR-15. I asked him what kind and he said "Vietnam style".

I thought that was pretty cool. The nice thing about this style is the pencil barrels which make the gun nice and light for him.

I am going to start out by building him an upper and am on the lookout for a set of triangular handguards and a pencil barrel. Any recommendations? This is going to be a fun plinker so I will be following the KISS rules.

M16A1
08-18-08, 23:11
He's got class.

28_days
08-18-08, 23:20
My ten year old son has accumulated a little cash and would like to get an AR-15. I asked him what kind and he said "Vietnam style".

I thought that was pretty cool. The nice thing about this style is the pencil barrels which make the gun nice and light for him.

I am going to start out by building him an upper and am on the lookout for a set of triangular handguards and a pencil barrel. Any recommendations? This is going to be a fun plinker so I will be following the KISS rules.

I believe CMMG offers "modern" triangular handguards, you have to call them though.

Cool son!

carbinero
08-19-08, 00:41
Another big thumbs up to your son. Please be sure to post your results :cool:

cqbdriver
08-19-08, 05:31
I made a retro a few years ago to match my 1st rifle in the Army. There were plenty of Colt M16A1 uppers availiable then. There is a retro forum on TOS. If you are interested in being accurate, there is even a guy making old style lowers http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

Here's mine. Colt M16A1 upper on a stag lower. The lower was refinished with Norrell Resin to match the lighter gray of the earlier Colts.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/17177AR15A1_Stag_Finished_01.jpg

M16A1
08-19-08, 07:27
I made a retro a few years ago to match my 1st rifle in the Army. There were plenty of Colt M16A1 uppers availiable then. There is a retro forum on TOS. If you are interested in being accurate, there is even a guy making old style lowers http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

Here's mine. Colt M16A1 upper on a stag lower. The lower was refinished with Norrell Resin to match the lighter gray of the earlier Colts.

I need to check that forum. I still have my cleaning kit.

Solid
08-19-08, 14:51
I had the perfect upper for him a few years ago. 20" slick side, triangular grips, A1 sights, etc.

Sold it off though :(

ThirdWatcher
08-19-08, 15:21
That NDS-32 (with original-design charging handle in the carrying handle) looks pretty cool.

carbinero
08-20-08, 01:07
BTW, I have more than a casual interest, since I and another friend are keeping our eyes peeled for a 20" standard upper with 1:7 which has neither Colt's price nor CMMG's challenging QC and CS. So if you find that magic company, please share!

N4LtRecce
08-20-08, 02:14
Your son's far ahead of several friends of mine, and I'm 19!

When I told my dad that I wanted an AR-15, he told me that ".223 is a girl's round."

I love the guy, but... :mad:

JPolito830
08-20-08, 09:04
As long as you post some images of the gun when you can...I am interested as to see what you and your son went with. Good luck!

crob1
08-20-08, 19:21

Must be rough!

MarshallDodge
08-20-08, 19:42
Must be rough!

Yep! :D How is your son liking his AR?

crob1
08-20-08, 19:45
He loves it. We need to get out shooting though.:(