PDA

View Full Version : Famous Movies You Thought You'd Like But Really Let You Down

Doc Safari
03-07-16, 17:40
My list:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

I was of the 'Star Wars' generation. When the original came out (now called Episode IV), it was a movie that as soon as it was over you got back in line to see it again. It's what you did. It changed movies forever. Then came what most people thought would be a straightforward "sequel." Instead, we were informed that we had seen Episode 4 of at least six episodes. So 'The Empire Strikes Back' was episode 5. Sure, it had its moments, but we wanted a slam-dunk ending like the first movie. 'Empire' didn't so much "end" as "come to a stop". That, and Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father. I remember legions of fans giving up on the series after 'Empire.' Myself? I eventually warmed up to the movies again, but I didn't see 'Return of the Jedi' in its first run until it landed at the Dollar Theater.

2. Debbie Does Dallas

The quintessential adult movie, right? Truth be told, the best part about it is the clever title. It's been the punch line of jokes since it came out. In reality, it's hard to watch all the way through. Even if you were into adult movies in those days, it was just a fourth-rate amateur effort.

3. Blazing Saddles

I had been told all my life that this was one of the greatest comedies of all time. I'm admittedly not much of a Mel Brooks fan, but I thought it was just stupid. 'Young Frankenstein' was ten times better.

4. The World According to Garp

I loved Robin Williams. In my mind, he might just have been the funniest comedian of all time. Imagine my surprise when I went to see 'The World According to Garp', and it was a serious movie, with very little comic content. Had somebody warned me that it wasn't a comedy, I might have liked it, but the bleak and depressing events in the movie just ruined any chance of me liking it. Robin Williams was never again as funny to me either.

5. No Country for Old Men

Another movie that doesn't "end" so much as it just "stops." The bad guy gets away. The sheriff retires. Pretty much everyone else is dead. It started out with a great premise but just turned into a waste of time. Wish I'd been warned it didn't have an ending.

I may think of some more later.

gunrunner505
03-07-16, 17:55
The 2005 remake of King Kong. God was that bad. As a fan of the original, the remake was terrible. It was so horribly contrived. The chasm scene with the bugs, stupid. Arguably the worst movie I've ever seen.

Right up until....

Mad Max Fury Road.

So bad I can't even describe it.

I liked Star Wars 4, 5 and 6. Episodes 1, 2 and 3, not so much. Mostly due to the sentient fence post that played Anikan. Horrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
03-07-16, 17:55
Network - Supposedly and ground breaking and prophetic film. All I remember thinking is "That's it?" when it ended. The entire movie revolves around one single line which becomes a catch phrases that is repeated over and over until it loses it's significance.

Pretty much agree with the rest of your list. I was the perfect age to see Star Wars, my friends and I waited years for Empire Strikes back and when they hit us with a cliffhanger ending all I could think was "BULLSHIT!" By the time "Return of the Jedi" was released I was older and really didn't care anymore.

Debbie Does Dallas, was pretty much just a cash in on the title and the cheerleader outfits.

I actually like Blazing Saddles, especially since it couldn't possibly be made today. But Young Frankenstein was better. Mel Brooks is funny but not always funny.

I learned to like The World According to Garp when I accepted it wasn't a comedy.

SteyrAUG
03-07-16, 18:00
The 2005 remake of King Kong. God was that bad. As a fan of the original, the remake was terrible. It was so horribly contrived. The chasm scene with the bugs, stupid. Arguably the worst movie I've ever seen.

Right up until....

Mad Max Fury Road.

Actually the "spider pit" scene is one of the "lost scenes" in the original 1933 King Kong. But several stills existed and were published in Monster theme magazines during the 50s and 60s.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2005/kong/spiderphoto2.jpg

Peter Jackson was attempting to recreate this lost scene.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2005/kong/

I can appreciate what was attempted, and the 2005 versions is vastly superior to the 1977 version, but I'm not sure Peter Jackson was the guy to do the film. I hated Jack Black as Denham and they way they made him into a jackass. The ice skating on Kongs ass scene was horrible.

gunrunner505
03-07-16, 18:16
Actually the "spider pit" scene is one of the "lost scenes" in the original 1933 King Kong. But several stills existed and were published in Monster theme magazines during the 50s and 60s.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2005/kong/spiderphoto2.jpg

Peter Jackson was attempting to recreate this lost scene.

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2005/kong/

I can appreciate what was attempted, and the 2005 versions is vastly superior to the 1977 version, but I'm not sure Peter Jackson was the guy to do the film. I hated Jack Black as Denham and they way they made him into a jackass. The ice skating on Kongs ass scene was horrible.

I can appreciate where they were trying to go and what they wanted to do. I just thought they missed the mark, badly. I didn't care for Jack Black in that movie either. His best work is Kung Fu Panda.

MountainRaven
03-07-16, 18:29
I concur with No Country for Old Men. I think the ending would have been better if the sicario had died in the car accident at the end - so that everybody who touched the "cursed gold" was dead.

Flags of Our Fathers. But only because I was expecting more of a Saving Private Ryan movie, but for the Marine Corps rather than Rangers and Airborne. It's better in the re-watch, partially absolved by its sister film Letters from Iwo Jima and the Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg series The Pacific.

Red Dawn. Not the original, the remake. The original is a classic that captures the zeitgeist of the mid-1980s and, I think, a much more complicated film than many of those who love it or despise it for political reasons would have anyone believe. The remake was just dumb, in every possible way. The only proper way, in fact, to do a remake of Red Dawn would be to set it in 1980s America with the same premise. Could even do it as a sort of sequel or simply set it in the same alternate 1980s where the Soviets with Cuban and Central American auxiliaries have invaded the US.

ColtSeavers
03-07-16, 18:31
Me, Myself and Irene
I just couldn't get over my frustration and desire to choke someone (if not worse) over his situation that starts the whole thing off. Then it just gets dumb. Has permanently left a bad taste in my mouth and I to this day cannot find comedy in that movie.

The Hurt Locker
Still looking for a plot to this movie.

A Clockwork Orange
I'd rather read Lord of the Flies.

The Departed
To be fair, I only saw it once, in theaters on a date, so my 'attention' was not completely focused on the movie.

BoringGuy45
03-07-16, 18:42
For me:

The Big Lebowski: So many people think this movie is hilarious and clever. There was maybe one or two scenes I cracked a smile at, but otherwise, I found it to be very boring.

Every Kubrick movie: With the exception of the beginning of Full Metal Jacket, I haven't liked a single thing he's done. Everything is too bizarre and the movies move WAY too slow.

Scarface: Easily the most overrated crime movie. I couldn't get myself to like a single character.

Firefly
03-07-16, 19:08
Saving Private Ryan- Having seen it again; it's like someone took a Nick Fury comic too seriously and decided to make it preachy. And I'm sure I could've found a terp in Krautanese who wasn't such a little bitch.
Remove the gory SFX and it's a groaner of cliches and it wouldn't be very noteworthy . I actually saw it first run with buncha guys who were WWII vets who were sponsored to get to see it for free. Aside from the bunker scorching , guys grenading and M1 Carbining a tank hatch, and guys blowing up a bridge being met with "Hell Yeahs", they were mostly "aw this is bullshit."

A.I. God that movie was lame.

The Ring ugh I fell asleep. Literally.

soulezoo
03-07-16, 19:08
Hannibal

Just as bad as "Silence" was good

gunrunner505
03-07-16, 19:17
Hannibal

Just as bad as "Silence" was good

Hannibal sucked. I actually fell asleep in the theater.

I didn't care for Red Dragon either. The Edward Norton remake of Manhunter.

Manhunter was terrific, Red Dragon, meh, not so much.

Firefly
03-07-16, 19:24
People forgot Hannibal Lector wasn't supposed to be a supervillain. He was a shrink who was off.

Manhunter was awesome. Especially when Dude visits Lector and is calm and doesn't buy into his BS.

But Hannibal, UUUGHH that movie was SO BORING.

Arik
03-07-16, 19:34
Red Dawn. Wtf?!?! Just a bunch of random shit with AKs thrown in.

A.I. tried to watch that twice. No!

Battlefield Earth.

The Tarantino movie with the killer stuntman

Titanic. I was only like 13 and couldn't wait for it to sink

District 9. Mixed feelings on that. Kinda liked it but was expecting something more to it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wildcard600
03-07-16, 19:43
Citizen Kane
Supposed to be a masterpiece of cinema. Not a bad film, but it wasn't the awe inspiring, life changing movie experience it seems to be made out to be.

Almost all Kubrick films. I like the end of 2001 and Full Metal Jacket, but the beginnings of both films are so slow, boring and irritating I have to skip to the second half. I did really like Dr. Strangelove however.

JulyAZ
03-07-16, 19:46
Any Will Ferrell comedy, his movies aren't funny they're juvenile in the worst ways. I can't watch any of his movies. Step brothers? I've never seen it all the way through it frustrates the hell out of me.

Yet I'm a huge Mel Brooks fan, Borat was amazing (the first time) and so was the hangover, I can sit through the worst Adam Sandler movies but god damn Will Ferrell and go straight to hell on my dime and I wouldn't think twice. I cringe every time he comes out with a movie.

SeriousStudent
03-07-16, 19:54
People forgot Hannibal Lector wasn't supposed to be a supervillain. He was a shrink who was off.

Manhunter was awesome. Especially when Dude visits Lector and is calm and doesn't buy into his BS.

But Hannibal, UUUGHH that movie was SO BORING.

That's probably my favorite role William Peterson has ever done.

Manhunter had a great soundtrack as well.

SomeOtherGuy
03-07-16, 20:14
Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Basically just a mediocre remake of Episode IV. I'll take any of I-III over it.

The Arrival, a 90's scifi movie. Worse dreck has rarely been seen. Charlie Sheen was ideal for this awful film, as he sinks to the occasion.

I actually liked Network, Blazing Saddles, and No Country For Old Men. Obviously, people like different things.

fallenromeo
03-07-16, 20:24
The Titanic. Just awful, don't understand how it made so much money. Then they re-released it in 3D. If you don't see the iceberg in 3D, you deserve to sink.

elephant
03-07-16, 20:29
Hurt Locker

Miami Vice (2006)

Point Break (2015)

Top Gun 2 ( I know it hasn't come out yet, but I just know it will suck compared to the first)

Jellybean
03-07-16, 20:39
Apocalypse Now. One of the most meanderingly awful and just plain weird movies I've ever watched. Maybe you just had to have lived that era to get it...

Sin City. Loved the art style, a couple characters, overall movie cliche and mediocre.

_Stormin_
03-07-16, 20:39
I don't admit this one often, and I love golf almost at the level that I love shooting, but I can't stand:

CADDYSHACK

It wasn't that funny. I think I laughed once during the entire thing.

MountainRaven
03-07-16, 20:45
9 Рота (Ninth Company)

Maybe I just don't have a taste for Russian cinema, but I didn't particularly care for this movie. Not sure that I can pinpoint a particular reason, though. Guess it just wasn't quite what I was expecting.

SteyrAUG
03-07-16, 20:47
Citizen Kane
Supposed to be a masterpiece of cinema. Not a bad film, but it wasn't the awe inspiring, life changing movie experience it seems to be made out to be.

Almost all Kubrick films. I like the end of 2001 and Full Metal Jacket, but the beginnings of both films are so slow, boring and irritating I have to skip to the second half. I did really like Dr. Strangelove however.

Citizen Kane was one of the best movies ever made, but you can't watch it in that context. It also helps to know a little bit about Randolph Hearst, when the movie was made, most people knew his story so they could factor that in. If you know nothing about the life of Hearst, the movie becomes less significant.

The Exorcist is one of the scariest movies ever made, unless you watch it with that expectation.

SteyrAUG
03-07-16, 20:51
I don't admit this one often, and I love golf almost at the level that I love shooting, but I can't stand:

CADDYSHACK

I think you had to be 12-14 at the time it came out to find it funny. Fortunately that was me and it was a favorite film in the early days of cable TV. Was in no way as funny as say "Animal House", but I still laughed at parts.

Firefly
03-07-16, 21:01

CADDYSHACK

HERESY

Firefly
03-07-16, 21:07
The Exorcist is one of the scariest movies ever made, unless you watch it with that expectation.

Exorcist scared the hell out of me because I had measles or some shit when it came on TV and thought I had what the girl had. I was a young fellow and probably shouldn't have been watching it. The whole religious aspect went over my head. I thought it was just about some girl with a disease like those after school specials.

The devil doesn't scare me because God and Guns are on my side. Ghostbusters was the best movie ever for 80s kids. If ghosts were real all you have to do is arm yourselves with proton packs.

The new movie will suck

Arik
03-07-16, 21:37
Blade Runner. Boring

wildcard600
03-07-16, 22:24
Citizen Kane was one of the best movies ever made, but you can't watch it in that context. It also helps to know a little bit about Randolph Hearst, when the movie was made, most people knew his story so they could factor that in. If you know nothing about the life of Hearst, the movie becomes less significant.

Yeah, I had never heard of Hearst prior to the film so that might have something to do with it. The movie was beautifully made, especially when you consider the era of cinema it is from so I can appreciate it at that level.

I guess I just feel that when a movie is going to so often described as "the greatest film" it should have a wider appeal and be something that requires no previous knowledge of the subject matter on the part of the viewer to appreciate the story it is trying to tell.

BoringGuy45
03-07-16, 22:24
A couple more I was let down by:

Kill Bill (1 and 2): Honestly, if it had been made by a no-name rather than Tarantino, it wouldn't have any of the hype given to it. The first one was just overly weird and the second one was boring.

Raimi's Spiderman series: I'll add this caveat: The first two are actually very good movies; I won't knock them. But they're just too depressing. Spiderman just gets shit on by everyone for 2 hours, and on top of that, he puts up a wedge between himself and the only people who don't shit on him because he feels it's his duty. Screw that!

Gone With the Wind: The title should just be "Everybody Dies and Nobody is Happy."

26 Inf
03-07-16, 22:48
Top Gun just made me barf - sitting next to the runway on your motorcycle shaking your fist in the air as planes land, the earnest dialog....

gunrunner505
03-07-16, 22:57
Top Gun just made me barf - sitting next to the runway on your motorcycle shaking your fist in the air as planes land, the earnest dialog....

C'mon Mav, do some of that pilot shit!

Endur
03-07-16, 23:10
My list so far:

Scarface
No Country For Old Men
The Hurt Locker
Miami Vice (new one)
Top Gun
Any Rocky
Spaceballs

Firefly
03-07-16, 23:28
Spaceballs

You are dead to me, sir.

That was the only Star Wars prequel that was good

ETA I do agree on Miami Vice. Michael Mann must've been in rehab, bitterly depressed, or something.

It was miscast, misdirected, and just not fun.
Some of the shoot outs were kinda okay...kinda.

Castillo went from being an inscrutable, quiet badass to being a fat black guy
The guy playing Crockett looked bored the whole movie. Like he just didn't care. Be it killing up whomever the bad guy was to screwing the chinese cuban chick he just didn't care.
Jamie Foxx didn't crack a joke or smile. He wasn't even a smooth talker. And he looked all pissed off and on his period. Tubbs was always having a good time.
The real time trip to Cuba was pointless

They managed to make a movie about Ferraris, glamour weapons, hard drugs, and so forth boring. Seriously, wtf

elephant
03-08-16, 00:23

Slider.........................you stink!

glocktogo
03-08-16, 00:53
For me:

The Big Lebowski: So many people think this movie is hilarious and clever. There was maybe one or two scenes I cracked a smile at, but otherwise, I found it to be very boring.

You're a communist. Just sayin...
:)

The Kill Bill movies. I wanted to love them, but just couldn't.

District 9. Lots of hubub, for what was essentially "white people are racist xenophobes, regardless of who the "immigrant" is. Stop preaching to me you liberal shits. Besides, Sharlto Copley was far better as the protagonist in Elysium.

SteyrAUG
03-08-16, 01:06
Exorcist scared the hell out of me because I had measles or some shit when it came on TV and thought I had what the girl had. I was a young fellow and probably shouldn't have been watching it. The whole religious aspect went over my head. I thought it was just about some girl with a disease like those after school specials.

The devil doesn't scare me because God and Guns are on my side. Ghostbusters was the best movie ever for 80s kids. If ghosts were real all you have to do is arm yourselves with proton packs.

The new movie will suck

My experience was a bit worse. First I was 13 years old when I saw it. Second I saw it at the Midnight Movie at the local theater, my girlfriends older sister got us in then promptly abandoned us to go watch "Rocky Horror" which was showing at the same theater.

So since I was with my gf, I had to pretend it wasn't scarring the crap out of me. And then, sometime around 2am I got to walk home from their house on one of the windiest nights I can remember. Everything had me jumping the entire walk home.

SteyrAUG
03-08-16, 01:11
Yeah, I had never heard of Hearst prior to the film so that might have something to do with it. The movie was beautifully made, especially when you consider the era of cinema it is from so I can appreciate it at that level.

I guess I just feel that when a movie is going to so often described as "the greatest film" it should have a wider appeal and be something that requires no previous knowledge of the subject matter on the part of the viewer to appreciate the story it is trying to tell.

Here is the problem. Name what you feel is the greatest movie ever made. Then watch it with that expectation. Even The Godfather is often seen as a letdown by people expecting to watch the "greatest gangster movie ever made."

If you had no idea what you were about to watch, you'd have probably found "Citizen Kane" to be pretty profound, and a remarkable achievement in film for that time. "Casablanca" is similarly viewed as one of the greatest movies of that era, and quite honestly I think it's brilliant. But if you watch it expecting to see the "greatest film ever made" you won't actually see the greatest movie ever made.

SteyrAUG
03-08-16, 01:15
You are dead to me, sir.

That was the only Star Wars prequel that was good

ETA I do agree on Miami Vice. Michael Mann must've been in rehab, bitterly depressed, or something.

It was miscast, misdirected, and just not fun.
Some of the shoot outs were kinda okay...kinda.

Castillo went from being an inscrutable, quiet badass to being a fat black guy
The guy playing Crockett looked bored the whole movie. Like he just didn't care. Be it killing up whomever the bad guy was to screwing the chinese cuban chick he just didn't care.
Jamie Foxx didn't crack a joke or smile. He wasn't even a smooth talker. And he looked all pissed off and on his period. Tubbs was always having a good time.
The real time trip to Cuba was pointless

They managed to make a movie about Ferraris, glamour weapons, hard drugs, and so forth boring. Seriously, wtf

You forgot that they cast Gong Li as a Cuban. WTF was that? On top of that, they managed to make one of the hottest chicks on the planet look like crap.

The ONLY thing about the Miami Vice remake that was any good was the new theme music. Everything else, and I mean everything else sucked. They didn't even come up with an original story but instead cobbled together a couple story lines from the TV series.

I then look at a film like "Public Enemies" and wonder just what the hell Michael Mann did wrong. Imagine Johnny Depp as Crocket, could have been epic.

Moose-Knuckle
03-08-16, 03:42
9 Рота (Ninth Company)

Maybe I just don't have a taste for Russian cinema, but I didn't particularly care for this movie. Not sure that I can pinpoint a particular reason, though. Guess it just wasn't quite what I was expecting.

I don't know man, the nurse's daughter made it worth the price of admission.

Moose-Knuckle
03-08-16, 03:44

Not to mention that Orson Welles was only 25 years old when he wrote, directed, produced, AND starred in it.

Moose-Knuckle
03-08-16, 03:49
I guess my addition to the OP . . .

Avatar: (I rooted for the bad guys the whole time).

John Wick: (could have been epic with the car and gun play but a hitman fraternity in a hotel!?) That's been done like how many times; Wanted, Punisher War Zone, Payback . . .

TheChunkNorris
03-08-16, 03:53
Scarface... worst cuban accent I've ever heard in my life.

The Martian... MATT DAMON

Dist. Expert 26
03-08-16, 09:03
I absolutely hated the new Star Wars. The entire time I was watching it I was reminded of the South Park where George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are raping a stormtrooper, only Disney was the rapist this time.

A few others that come to mind:

Napoleon Dynamite- I didn't laugh once. By far the worst movie I've ever seen.
Monty Python
Spaceballs
The new Red Dawn- it had some cool parts, but the super motivated "Marine" made me want to puke. A good friend of mine actually screamed at the TV and walked out of the room.
Behind Enemy Lines 2

I'm sure there's more I can't remember at the moment.

Doc Safari
03-08-16, 09:32
Citizen Kane

I chalk this one up to being a "had to be there" movie. Orson Welles invented all kinds of new film techniques and at the time it was totally different than anything on the screen. Now it's just "Please tell us what Rosebud means already."

brickboy240
03-08-16, 10:20
Pulp Fiction

(...there...I said it! LOL)

Seriously, this movie is just not as great as everyone makes it out to be. I avoided watching it for many years, because I think Tarantino is just way overrated as a director.

When I finally watched it, I was like, "what the hell is so damned great about this film?"

Ok, it had some funny scenes but it was not as if I wanted to own the film or watch it over and over or go nuts over it as many have.

Pulp Fiction is not nearly as great as everyone thinks it is...sorry!

Dienekes
03-08-16, 10:23
Tossup between the most recent Star Wars and the most recent Bond. Finally walked out of the latter after wasting an hour waiting for any kind of story line to emerge.

Recently started working my way through all 5 seasons of "Combat!". On the whole, some impressive story lines; some episodes really make you think.

Blind hogs, acorns.

Eurodriver
03-08-16, 10:23

What does Marsellus Wallace look like?

glocktogo
03-08-16, 10:36
What does Marsellus Wallace look like?

A bitch. :D

soulezoo
03-08-16, 10:55
Apocalypse Now. One of the most meanderingly awful and just plain weird movies I've ever watched. Maybe you just had to have lived that era to get it...

Sin City. Loved the art style, a couple characters, overall movie cliche and mediocre.

Pulp Fiction

(...there...I said it! LOL)

Seriously, this movie is just not as great as everyone makes it out to be. I avoided watching it for many years, because I think Tarantino is just way overrated as a director.

When I finally watched it, I was like, "what the hell is so damned great about this film?"

Ok, it had some funny scenes but it was not as if I wanted to own the film or watch it over and over or go nuts over it as many have.

It's as great as I think it is. That's all that matters. :cool:

Big A
03-08-16, 11:33

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160308/157dc69b7f35fad30dd65582851db122.jpg

I hate Scarface too, I just wanted to post that.

brickboy240
03-08-16, 12:07
John Wick and Jack Reacher were also VERY disappointing.

People were telling me these movies were "sooo cool" then I watched them and thought....meh.

HCrum87hc
03-08-16, 13:16
I agree with a lot of you on most of these:
The Hurt Locker
No Country for Old Men
District 9
Kill Bill 1 and 2

_Stormin_
03-08-16, 13:48
Can't believe I forgot District 9... My goodness that was the longest waste of my time. I guess the working title, "White People, We're Somehow Even Racist Against Aliens," didn't test well...

Big A
03-08-16, 13:52
I guess I'm the only one here that likes No Country For Old Men.

Arik
03-08-16, 15:04
I liked it!

wildcard600
03-08-16, 15:30

I liked it!

I liked it as well. But the movie did have some issues with coherence in the story dept. And the ending was shit.

Big A
03-08-16, 15:49
I liked it as well. But the movie did have some issues with coherence in the story dept. And the ending was shit.
Next time you watch it pay attention to the story from Sheriff Bell's (Tommy Lee Jones) POV. Like he's telling you the story of Leweln and Chigur and it might make more sense.

Or read the book because Cormac McCarthy is a great author.

ColtSeavers
03-08-16, 15:52
Gonna have to dogpile on District 9 as well. It took every opportunity it had to crush your soul as a human being (I actualy did not find it to be specifically negative about 'white people').

Benito
03-08-16, 16:00

Right up until....

Mad Max Fury Road.

Halle-fukkin-lujah, another person who agrees that Mad Max Fury Road was a colossal turd (a feminist one at that - see original thread in the GD). I was so stoked for this one, and tried so hard to keep my expectations reasonable, but nothing prepared me for the suckfest that ensued.

Blade Runner. Boring

As a huge, huge fan of sci-fi, and anything involving the future, AI, space travel, etc. I am amazed at how people see Blade Runner as the pinnacle of this genre.

The Hurt Locker
Still looking for a plot to this movie.

The plot is show soldiers doing army/military stuff to an audience that knows nothing about the military, show them as all ****ed up in the head, then profit.
No plot necessary.

Citizen Kane

I didn't get this one either (as a masterpiece that is). Meh. Maybe it just didn't age well. Perhaps at the time it was groundbreaking.

I thought I was the only one.
Yeah, the hippie dippie, kumbaya, innocent perfect natives being violated by the evil greedy white capitalist earth man enraged me.
I can't believe Sigourney Weaver and Sam Worthington got dragged into that crap.

The Martian sucked, but did you seriously think you'd like it? It's Matt Damon after all.

Also,
The Matrix Reloaded. I had high hopes for a solid follow-up to the first one, which I really enjoyed. I'd include the 3rd Matrix, but after the 2nd one I knew I'd hate it.
There Will Be Blood. Great visuals, Great acting. Shite movie.

Doc Safari
03-08-16, 16:05
I'd have to agree none of the Matrix movies lived up to the promise of the original.

WickedWillis
03-08-16, 17:07
The Usual suspects Completely predictable and un-original. The acting was fine, but the movie just isn't good. If you didn't see the end coming, I kind of feel bad for you. Plus Bryan Singer directed it, and he's a no talent pedophile hack.

Doc Safari
03-08-16, 17:09
The Usual suspects Completely predictable and un-original. The acting was fine, but the movie just isn't good. If you didn't see the end coming, I kind of feel bad for you. Plus Bryan Singer directed it, and he's a no talent pedophile hack.

That reminds me of a movie that in retrospect I might have included (except that it's so forgettable): Reservoir Dogs

I saw the ending coming a mile away. The only amusing moment was watching Mr. Pink demand another color. Other than that I truly don't see what anybody found to like in that movie.

WickedWillis
03-08-16, 17:12
That reminds me of a movie that in retrospect I might have included (except that it's so forgettable): Reservoir Dogs

I saw the ending coming a mile away. The only amusing moment was watching Mr. Pink demand another color. Other than that I truly don't see what anybody found to like in that movie.

That is another film I feel is incredibly overrated as well. Good call.

Leaveammoforme
03-08-16, 17:27
Gravity.

I could've filmed that piece of crap in my garage with a GoPro.

Firefly
03-08-16, 18:22
Gravity.

I could've filmed that piece of crap in my garage with a GoPro.

That movie was worth it to see Sandra Bullock in her panties.

She's like 50 and still hot.

Jellybean
03-08-16, 18:39
Kill Bill (1 and 2):

Pulp Fiction

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

I guess my addition to the OP . . .

Same here. :laugh:

The Martian- yeah, I'm not a big Damon fan, but I actually thought it wasn't terrible. predictable, yes, but not awful.
Of course I did not read the book first, and went into it with 0 expectations.

And someone mentioned (current) Mad Max.... Oh. My God. Greatest long-term car chase ever? Possibly. Otherwise, tripe.
There was so much more they *could* have done with it, and so much more I was expecting, given the raving fans....
Also, his mags bullets up on the vest drove me nuts. I'm like, sand, mud, impacts, and he never looses a single bullet or experiences a single malfunction.... :rolleyes:

Since we're sort of off topic of "old" famous movies...

American Sniper.
Yep, I said it. Maybe I just didn't see the same movie everyone else did, but it was mediocre, and just... missing something.
However I had read the book previous to it, so...

Averageman
03-08-16, 18:39
Next time you watch it pay attention to the story from Sheriff Bell's (Tommy Lee Jones) POV. Like he's telling you the story of Leweln and Chigur and it might make more sense.

Or read the book because Cormac McCarthy is a great author.

Another thing about that Movie.
In the last scene where Chigur is going in to kill Leweln's Wife while they are talking look over her shoulder as they pan back and you will see that satchel full of money on the roof of the shed behind the house.
I watched that movie a couple of times and the first time I noticed that I nearly wore out the rewind button on the remote.

Firefly
03-08-16, 18:50
I agree with American Sniper and Lone Survivor. Both strayed way too far from the source material with added fictionalization.

Had American Sniper had Stone Cold Steve Austin play Chris Kyle and left in the part with the Chechens and the Beachball scene; It would've been epic.

Also a 50 year old Dirk Diggler who stands a towering 5'3" is unconvincing as a 6'6" 25 year old who talks like he always has dip in his mouth.

MistWolf
03-08-16, 21:41
Movies that didn't live up to the hype-

Matrix- If Neo was the One, why didn't he quit wasting time on the minions, go into God Mode and Take out the Big Boss?

Forest Gump- A retarded movie about a retard. "You just went full retard"

Jaws- *Yawn* I've never been able to watch the whole thing

Exorcist- Almost as boring as Jaws. Haven't been able to sit through it either

Endur
03-08-16, 22:01
That movie was worth it to see Sandra Bullock in her panties.

She's like 50 and still hot.

Watch The Proposal. Funny movie and you get to see her damn near full on nude.

Firefly
03-08-16, 22:19
Watch The Proposal. Funny movie and you get to see her damn near full on nude.

Oh....MY.

My first exposure to her was Demolition Man and I think Speed (they both came out around the same time) and she was always cute. In that 90s, teenybopper way. Like if you met her on the right day, on the right place, and BOCs Shooting Shark or Sonic Youth was playing....you'd have a chance with her; she was so girl next door. Dark brown hair and brown eyes white girls are my kryptonite.

Anyways there was this B movie I have on VHS with her in it. It had the guy from TromasWar who played the retired Army Ranger who had the ear necklace. Long story short him, a young guy, and some Vietnam Veteran buddies save her and kill off some Yakuza or whatever. Kinda cheesy but I liked it. It was called The Hangmen.

gunrunner505
03-08-16, 23:20
Halle-fukkin-lujah, another person who agrees that Mad Max Fury Road was a colossal turd (a feminist one at that - see original thread in the GD). I was so stoked for this one, and tried so hard to keep my expectations reasonable, but nothing prepared me for the suckfest that ensued..

I bought it with such high hopes. I really enjoy the original Mad Max and Road Warrior, but Fury Road sucks. I have it out on loan to friends but when I get it back I'm actually thinking about shooting it.......

Endur
03-08-16, 23:38
Oh....MY.

My first exposure to her was Demolition Man and I think Speed (they both came out around the same time) and she was always cute. In that 90s, teenybopper way. Like if you met her on the right day, on the right place, and BOCs Shooting Shark or Sonic Youth was playing....you'd have a chance with her; she was so girl next door. Dark brown hair and brown eyes white girls are my kryptonite.

Anyways there was this B movie I have on VHS with her in it. It had the guy from TromasWar who played the retired Army Ranger who had the ear necklace. Long story short him, a young guy, and some Vietnam Veteran buddies save her and kill off some Yakuza or whatever. Kinda cheesy but I liked it. It was called The Hangmen.

I am not a Stallone fan but Demolition Man was good (probably because her and Snipes were in it). I will have to check that movie out though usually I hate b-movies.

gunrunner505
03-09-16, 00:49
The cable guide just reminded me of another crappy one, Kingsman: The Secret Service. If you are lucky enough to have not seen it, keep it that way. Sam Jackson with a lisp. Really?

And I agree, Sandra Bullock is delicious.

tuck
03-09-16, 01:11
The cable guide just reminded me of another crappy one, Kingsman: The Secret Service. If you are lucky enough to have not seen it, keep it that way. Sam Jackson with a lisp. Really?

Kingsman is decent if you watch it knowing it's a film that pokes fun at the earlier Bond films. I can see where it would disappoint otherwise.

The new Star Wars was something I was looking forward to since it's inception, but left the theater wanting more. Another movie I had high hopes for was Looper. Maybe I'm not a big Bruce Willis fan, but I thought it kind of sucked.

Moose-Knuckle
03-09-16, 03:15

No your not, I love it and own it on Bluray. As well as every other film adaptation of McCarthy's works.

But then again I also own on Bluray and enjoy Miami Vice, Kill Bill Volumes I and II (it's one long movie not two parts), Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Fury Road, Red Dawn (2012), District 9, as well as some others that keep showing up in this thread.

glocktogo
03-09-16, 11:05
Oh....MY.

She played a nerd turned hottie in Love Potion #9 before that. it was her 1st major feature film.

WickedWillis
03-09-16, 12:43

And I agree, Sandra Bullock is delicious.

Kingsman is a great action flick that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Arik
03-09-16, 13:12
Halle-fukkin-lujah, another person who agrees that Mad Max Fury Road was a colossal turd (a feminist one at that - see original thread in the GD). I was so stoked for this one, and tried so hard to keep my expectations reasonable, but nothing prepared me for the suckfest that ensued.

As a huge, huge fan of sci-fi, and anything involving the future, AI, space travel, etc. I am amazed at how people see Blade Runner as the pinnacle of this genre.

The plot is show soldiers doing army/military stuff to an audience that knows nothing about the military, show them as all ****ed up in the head, then profit.
No plot necessary.

I didn't get this one either (as a masterpiece that is). Meh. Maybe it just didn't age well. Perhaps at the time it was groundbreaking.

I thought I was the only one.
Yeah, the hippie dippie, kumbaya, innocent perfect natives being violated by the evil greedy white capitalist earth man enraged me.
I can't believe Sigourney Weaver and Sam Worthington got dragged into that crap.

The Martian sucked, but did you seriously think you'd like it? It's Matt Damon after all.

Also,
The Matrix Reloaded. I had high hopes for a solid follow-up to the first one, which I really enjoyed. I'd include the 3rd Matrix, but after the 2nd one I knew I'd hate it.
There Will Be Blood. Great visuals, Great acting. Shite movie.
Nope was not a fan of Mad Max as well. Not for any particular reason. Nothing as deep as feminist views or anything. ...just thought it was crap

sadmin
03-09-16, 14:16
Triple 9 - I loved The Proposition and The Road (same director) but this movie sucked. Weak story line, no character development, jumpy plot; action wasnt even that great. Wait for DVD

jmp45
03-09-16, 17:42
Idiocracy, thought it would be an outlandish visionary comedy but it's more of a current historic documentary.. ho hum..

Endur
03-09-16, 23:32
Idiocracy, thought it would be an outlandish visionary comedy but it's more of a current historic documentary.. ho hum..

Very true but it is hilarious.

Vandal
03-10-16, 00:17
Mordecai. Normally a Johnny Depp fan certainly if he's playing a comedic role. This one just sucked.

Mauser KAR98K
03-10-16, 00:19
Grapes of Wrath.

Yeah, I know...John Steinbeck.

glocktogo
03-10-16, 09:14
Mordecai. Normally a Johnny Depp fan certainly if he's playing a comedic role. This one just sucked.

My wife and I actually wind up watching that for a bit every time we see it on the guide list. Call it a guilty pleasure I guess, because it's not actually that good. I've got a thing for Eva Green and she vamps it HARD in that movie. :)

My biggest guilty pleasure movie is Prometheus. The wife hates it, so it's become a running joke in the house how much I watch it.

uffdaphil
03-10-16, 13:30
I avoided Out of Africa for thirty years until my brother half convinced me it was great and lent me the DVD. Insipid cinematography of magnificent scenery. Redford auditioning for Ralph Lauren and Streep doing her long suffering shtick get old fast. Gave up after an hour.

What is it with Blazing Saddles? More than any other flick opinion is split 50/50 amongst people whose judgment I respect. I'm on the hated it side.

Love Bill Murray, but The Spy Who Knew Too Little is one of the few movies I have walked out of.

Doc Safari
03-10-16, 13:34
I avoided Out of Africa for thirty years until my brother half convinced me it was great and lent me the DVD. Insipid cinematography of magnificent scenery. Redford auditioning for Ralph Lauren and Streep doing her long suffering shtick get old fast. Gave up after an hour.

For 30 years I heard what a great classic "Out of Africa" is. I finally broke down and watched it with an open mind. Without the African scenery and settings it's just a tepid, boring soap opera. I should have waited another thirty years.

SteyrAUG
03-10-16, 13:40
My wife and I actually wind up watching that for a bit every time we see it on the guide list. Call it a guilty pleasure I guess, because it's not actually that good. I've got a thing for Eva Green and she vamps it HARD in that movie. :)

My biggest guilty pleasure movie is Prometheus. The wife hates it, so it's become a running joke in the house how much I watch it.

Pretty sure you are thinking of Dark Shadows.

WickedWillis
03-10-16, 14:29

That was a disappointment of epic proportions.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-10-16, 15:36
9 Рота (Ninth Company)

I actually liked this one.

jpmuscle
03-10-16, 16:10
I guess I'm just lucky.. I can sit down and watch most any movie and be sufficiently entertained for however long. And I consider myself above average functioning lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

glocktogo
03-10-16, 19:59
Pretty sure you are thinking of Dark Shadows.

Oops, you're right! Mordecai sucked.

SteyrAUG
03-11-16, 00:15
I guess I'm just lucky.. I can sit down and watch most any movie and be sufficiently entertained for however long. And I consider myself above average functioning lol

I have a large threshold for bad "cheesy" films and actually enjoy B movies and even some C movies. My only problem is when a terrible movie is heralded as a great movie.

sniperfrog
03-11-16, 12:23
Prometheus was a huge let down for me. That movie just sucked on so many levels.

Blade runner was pretty boring.

Avengers and Avengers Age of Ulton were kinda of lame.

The Dark Knight Rises had a terrible plot that ruined it for me. I enjoyed watching the movie but the more I thought about it the more I didn't like it because of the crappy story.

No Country For Old Men was taken directly from the Cormac McCarthy novel. He generally writes depressing stuff so the ending was no surprise. The book has a few other things that happen at the end which makes you realize that the Hit-man Chigur was really more of the main character in the story. But the way the movie ends sucked.

jpmuscle
03-11-16, 16:27
I have a large threshold for bad "cheesy" films and actually enjoy B movies and even some C movies. My only problem is when a terrible movie is heralded as a great movie.
On that I agree with you.

I was conditioned to enjoy B and C grade movies growing up by watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 with my father. Makes crappy movies enjoyable on so many levels.

SteyrAUG
03-11-16, 17:13
On that I agree with you.

I was conditioned to enjoy B and C grade movies growing up by watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 with my father. Makes crappy movies enjoyable on so many levels.

I almost mentioned Joel and the Bots. My first real movie watching was creature feature with my father in the mid 1970s. Some of them were classics like the 1930s Universal horror films, but there were a lot of them that were 1950s hard B films like "Monster on Campus." They bordered on the absurd but man they were fun to watch.

The entire UFO / Alien Invaders genre from the 1950s is thoroughly enjoyable. You had great films like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" which were almost profound, and then you had "Invasion of the Saucer Men" which is almost MST3K fodder. Didn't matter I loved them all.

Take even something like "Plan 9 From Outer Space", everyone knew it was an Ed Wood film and most people knew what to expect. It was a popcorn movie. Everyone knew what to expect from William Castle, Roger Corman and any American International Pictures film.

The ones I can't watch are European avante garde and art house films that are promoted as intellectually significant when they are typically an amateurish mess where the nonsensical is offered as enlightened. Very few live up to the hype, and the best ones are on par with a Corman film if they are really interesting.

Firefly
03-11-16, 17:37
Anybody remember Theatre Bizarre? In like the 80s?

It came on late at night....on the indy UHF stations. All the gore, cursing, and even titties left intact. On like normal TV. I remember watching My Bloody Valentine and it scared the H E double HELL outta me. I didn't know what I was getting into.
That and C.H.U.D.....

SteyrAUG
03-11-16, 19:23
Anybody remember Theatre Bizarre? In like the 80s?

It came on late at night....on the indy UHF stations. All the gore, cursing, and even titties left intact. On like normal TV. I remember watching My Bloody Valentine and it scared the H E double HELL outta me. I didn't know what I was getting into.
That and C.H.U.D.....

Don't remember that one. I got my exposure to "My Bloody Valentine" on Showtime in the early days of cable TV.

Firefly
03-11-16, 19:39
It must've been a regional thing I guess.
When the 90s hit and everything got bought out, it stopped I guess.

But as a kid I remember on the UHF bunny ear stations that after like 1 a.m. on weekends they'd show it all uncut. Commercials but still. Saw Rawhead Rex, Friday tge 13th, so on.

They also had Night Flight and a music video block. Some new wave, some hair metal, all that. It was like throwing poor kids a bone. If you knew someone with cable they'd record an entire tapes worth of MTV or HBO for you.

ETA and Dracula the Series. I loved the black haired girl

J-Dub
03-11-16, 19:58
Deliverance. I did not see that coming.....