PDA

View Full Version : First Line Belt

DireStraits
03-09-16, 12:01
Earlier you guys steered me away from a chest rig to a first line belt for a pistol/carbine class I'm taking this fall; I appreciate it. I've read the First Line Belt thread tacked at the top of the page and it has allowed me to make some initial decisions and prompted a few more questions.

First off, I will be purchasing the following unless compelling reasons are given to the contrary:

-HSGI Sure-Grip Padded Belt
-HSGI Rigger Belt, no D-ring
-HSGI Pistol Taco LT for Surefire light

Now for the questions:

1. For my CCW, I've always used a 1.5" belt and I see HSGI offers their rigger belts in 1.5" and 1.75". What size do you recommend and why?
2. What is your preferred separation distance/gap between the ends of your outer belt; 2", 3" or 4"?
3. Is there a valid reason to choose a Slim-Grip belt over the standard Sure-Grip?
4. For the pistol/carbine class, would you recommend a Double Decker Taco LT or the Single Taco(s) for my mags?
5. This is a real noob question, but I only used the old TA-50 web gear when I was in the service (early '90s), so don't flame me too hard here: How do you orient your rifle magazines in the Taco? I will orient my pistol mags bullets forward. Should I orient the rifle mags the same way or does it depend on how I grip my mags for reloading? Flame suit donned.
6. I need a suggestion (make/model) for a dump pouch.

If you need any additional information prior to making a reply, just ask.

That should be about it for the time being. Thanks in advance.

bruin
03-09-16, 13:28
I used to run the SGPB but switched to a quality 1.75" Cobra belt with Micro Grip Belt Panel. It's lighter, cooler, cheaper, still secure and comfy, and as a civilian I don't need a molle belt. We're spoiled for choice with all the good belt pouches available today, plus you can easily adapt a molle-backed pouch to belt with a couple strips of Velcro one wrap.

I use a CSM gear dump pouch because it's roomy enough to put all kinds of stuff in there, and I like how mags don't bounce out when you run. You can pick one up cheap on eBay.

Inkslinger
03-09-16, 15:29
I know the urge to by gear is strong, I feel it as well. The honest truth is you don't need a ton of fancy gear for your first class.

Get a quality belt. I like the 5 stitch wilderness instructors belt. It's a nice belt that can be worn everyday but won't cost you an arm and a leg.

For magazine pouches, Ready Tactical makes nice ones that aren't super expensive. I like the HSGI rifle/pistol tacos. They make belt mounted ones with Velcro tabs, or you can get the molle ones. Those would require the Raven Concealment moduloder. I quite enjoy the subload with two tacos. As for a dump pouch, you would be fine without one.

So my $.02, sturdy belt an two belt mounted rifle/pistol tacos. Spend your time at the class learning about the gun and not about your gear.

ggammell
03-09-16, 15:42
I would say the micro sure grip belt with the 1.75 cobra belt. There aren't a lot of pouches that require you to have a full battle belt's worth of of height to use. The cobra belts are nice. I used a 1.5" as an under belt every day at work but it's a pain to run through the belt loops so if you're wearing say one uniform a week it's no biggie to setup once and leave it for a couple days. If it's just going to be a put on as needed type of system then go with the bigger. The extra support will be useful especially when you start loading it down with weapons and mags.

Single TACO or double decker. That's a personal call. If you're going to carrying rifle mags and pistol I'd go with the double just to avoid having stuff completely covering the belt. Crap in the small of your back gets old quick when sitting or laying supine.

I run pistol mags bullets forward for the index finger draw. I run my rifle mags bullets rear for a "beer can" style grip. Just my preferences.

Of course now I re-read the micro belt description and see that it's only for the 1.5" cobra belt.

Jellybean
03-09-16, 19:06
+1 for the Wilderness 5-stitch instructor belt.
It will support a 2 pistol/2rifle mag + handgun load pretty well, or a subload like the HSGI leg panel. It also makes a great CCW belt.

Per battle belt, I may have mentioned this already, but I'm going to mention it again- not pushing a brand/type of gear on you, just another option that I think will get you what you want on a bit lower budget.
Check out AWS's LAB Shooters Belt- http://www.awsin.com/products.asp?id=164
If you do order anything from them, just make sure to use a pre-loaded credit card.

Unless you're looking to also run the inner Cobra belt as your EDC, in which case, perhaps a classic-style battle belt is the right choice.

For a dump pouch, I like the tactical tailor fight light. Simple, works, and for the money, a good option if you're on the fence about whether you want/need one.

drtywk
03-09-16, 20:17
I really like the Blue Force Gear belt pouches for a simple belt setup on an Ares Gear Aegis Enhanced belt, but they can also be used on any belt including the HSGI riggers belt. All of my belts are 1.5" belts, due to being able to wear them in the majority of pants I wear. I used to wear 1.75" belts exclusively, but have found the 1.5" belts to be slightly more comfortable and easier to configure, plus I have standardized all more holsters around the 1.5" belt loops. I also like the belt mounted Tacos from HSGI, but the BFG pouches are becoming my new favorites, due to them being able to flatten out when a mag is removed. I run a double pistol, high mount rifle, and their dump pouch, along with a baton pouch that has a tourniquet in it. I also run a Dark Angel Med kit on my belt. BFG has a new belt mounted med kit pouch coming out this year that I will be transitioning to, due to its super low profile.

In saying that, I also run a battle belt setup. It consists of a custom 1.5" HSGI Cobra Riggers Belt, Velocity Systems Operator Utility Belt, First Spear Double Speed Reload Pistol Mag pouch, First Spear Speed Reload Single M4 Mag pouch, BFG Helium Whisper Ultralight Dump Pouch, Mayflower Low-Vis Blowout Kit, BFG Ten Speed MP7 pouch that holds a tourniquet, and a BFG Boo Boo Pouch.

bighawk
03-09-16, 21:38
I have the HSGI suregrip with the 1.75" cobra belt as well as a 1.75" Cobra belt with the velcro lining attached to the micro grip belt liner.

I like both a lot however I prefer the belt with the micro grip belt liner more. Its more low profile and a lot easier to move pouches around on but its still much more comfortable to me then having all those pouches and a holster on my regular belt.

I use them both with two pistol mag pouches and one or two rifle mag pouches instead of double decker pouches. (again because its much more low profile)

belt- http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-COBRA-Riggers-Belt-p/hsg.511.htm
belt liner- http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Micro-Grip-Belt-Panel-p/hsg.712.htm

Tzook
03-10-16, 05:06
I would say go 1.75. Different than your CC setup, but I think you'll appreciate the larger size to hang a bunch of crap off of. I orient my rifle magazines bullets facing backwards on the support side of my body, and handgun magazines bullets facing forwards.

DireStraits
03-10-16, 08:26
+1 for the Wilderness 5-stitch instructor belt.
It will support a 2 pistol/2rifle mag + handgun load pretty well, or a subload like the HSGI leg panel. It also makes a great CCW belt.

I have one of these already, it was one of my first CCW belts.