PDA

View Full Version : McMillan A5 V.S. AICS 1.5

exd3686
08-19-08, 11:46
I'm looking to have a rifle built up with a Reminton 700 in either .260 or .308 for F-Class, Practical Precision, and varmint hunting. I like both stocks. Is one better in quality, fit, and accuracy? Of course, shouldering each would help in my decision but I have not yet had the opportunity. A MCM A5 with adj. cheekpiece, butt spacer system, Badger Ord. detachable mag., and bedding would cost around $300 more than the AICS 1.5. What are your experiences with either or both stocks?

Tucker
08-20-08, 22:41
I like the AICS but because it fits me well, more so than any accuracy advantage it has over a properly bedded MCM.

In situations where you can't compare them first hand you might consider that you can drop your action into an AICS and if you decide you don't like it you'll likely get most of your money back selling it used. Once bedded you'll take a big hit on an A5. Lots of people don't like how high the AICS puts their hand relative to the trigger, lots of people don't like the fat palm swell on the A5....it is nice to figure out which works for you.

AICSs lag in fit and finish if you are into that sort of thing. You get to pick from just 3 colors, all solid. The skins have a seam that doesn't match up exactly. They get dull spots easily. When you bang on the sides the whole thing sounds hollow and plasticky.

exd3686
08-21-08, 11:51
Tucker,

Thanks for the information. It is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. I do favor a better fit and finish but it is no use getting a really expensive stick that is not comfortable, does not fit the shooter, and can not be shot well just because it looks better. Good point on getting the AICS first and try it out. Sell it later if you have to. I'm going to do some real searching around the Illinois area for people, shops, or matches where both can be shouldered to see which fits best.

Thanks again!

PRGGodfather
08-21-08, 15:44
From a cost perspective, the AI stock is tough to beat. The v-block in the AI is excellent, and EVERY sniper I have worked with who uses an AI stock is VERY happy with the groups it produces without having to bed the stock.

The A5 is definitely top of the line, but it costs a lot, and the wait was up to six months, the last time I checked. I prefer the A3 stock, FWIW.

Lastly, Tom Manners makes an outstanding stock that can compete with any McMillan stock, and Tom is GTG: www.mannersstocks.com

Tom made a custom stock for me that was priced VERY well (including a LEO discount), is virtually indestructible and weights only 32 ounces.

Still, for money and performance -- the AI is an awesome value that produces great groups, provided the action and barrel are true to start.

JMHO...

theJanitor
08-21-08, 19:14
my 1.5 is very solid and user friendly as the action easily bolts down with out anything more than a torque wrench. ergonomics feel fine to me, with the exception of the fact that i needed higher scope rings.

buggsb
10-21-08, 16:22
I really thing you need to find a way to spend some time behind both of them before making a decision (unless, of course money isn't an object, then you should just buy both :-) ). I own and have shot both and they each have a different feel. Some good points made here about ease of mounting the AICS. I have had both stocks on the same action and accuracy is the same regardless of the stock.

What flipped me was the weight of the package with the AICS. If you plan to shoot primarily from a bench or fixed position, then that may be the way to go. If you have to hump it around a lot it might get heavy. The lightweight versioin of the A5 is serving me well now.

uscbigdawg
10-22-08, 08:26
Gotta try 'em both bud. My 6mm Ackley rifle used to live in an AICS, but I just didn't like it. It now has a McMillan A2.

On my long range/sniper match rifle, it's in a A5. On a side note, consider going 243 and having the barrel cut to load the 115gr. DTAC bullets. The ballistics are way, way better.

Another stock to consider is the R5 from CSS.

Rich

photo2u
12-29-08, 02:33
Gotta try 'em both bud. My 6mm Ackley rifle used to live in an AICS, but I just didn't like it. It now has a McMillan A2.

On my long range/sniper match rifle, it's in a A5. On a side note, consider going 243 and having the barrel cut to load the 115gr. DTAC bullets. The ballistics are way, way better.

Another stock to consider is the R5 from CSS.

Rich

I second that! I currently own both. I like the looks of the 1.5 but my favorite is the ssg that goes with my sig.

Good luck with your decision, Let us know.

Goober
02-11-09, 03:01
Having tried em both I personally went with the AICS. Just fit me better. Both are tip top I just felt more comfortable (and hence shot better) with the AICS. Well there are my 2 cents. Let us know what you go with.

-Goober