PDA

View Full Version : George Martin, A Musical Giant died today.

Averageman
03-09-16, 21:23
If you've listened to a Beatles song you have heard George Martin.
Sometimes known as "The Fifth Beatle" he was much more than just that. He not only gave us the sound behind the Apple Years, he was key to the careers of many others to include Gerry and the Pacemakers.
When everything was run amok in Apple Studios, George pulled personalities and egos together to make the magic. One of his little known contributions was the key to "A day in the Life".
Here's to you George.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/george-martin-producer-and-arranger-for-the-beatles-dies-at-90/ar-AAgy6z7?ocid=ansmsnent11
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/10/arts/music/george-martin-producer-of-the-beatles-dies-at-90.html?recp=11&_r=0
and of course.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Day_in_the_Life

As a solution for the missing 24-bar middle section of the song, McCartney proposed the idea of bringing in a full orchestra to fill the gap.[25] To allay concerns that classically trained musicians would not be able to improvise the section, producer George Martin wrote a loose score for the section.[27] It was an extended, atonal crescendo that encouraged the musicians to improvise within the defined framework.[25] The orchestral part was recorded on 10 February 1967, with McCartney and Martin conducting a 40-piece orchestra. The recording session was completed at a total cost of £367 (£5,949 as of 2016)[28] for the players, an extravagance at the time.[29] Martin later described explaining his improvised score to the puzzled orchestra:

What I did there was to write ... the lowest possible note for each of the instruments in the orchestra. At the end of the twenty-four bars, I wrote the highest note ... near a chord of E major. Then I put a squiggly line right through the twenty-four bars, with reference points to tell them roughly what note they should have reached during each bar ... Of course, they all looked at me as though I were completely mad.[30]

He was a genius, not only a putting ideas down as notes, but at keeping temperaments of geniuses moving in the direction of musical harmony.
Thank you, bless you and may God Keep you George.

Firefly
03-09-16, 21:25
All the fecking Beatles but Ringo......

tb-av
03-09-16, 22:21
"From the day that he gave The Beatles our first recording contract, to the last time I saw him, he was the most generous, intelligent and musical person I've ever had the pleasure to know." Paul McCartney.

He was the King of producers. If there is a musician alive that didn't respect him, I've never heard it mentioned. Not only brilliant but apparently a really nice guy too.

I never realized it by he produced and wrote string arrangements on Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow which imo was a turning point for him.

I can't imagine the things he must have had to think about to get done what he got done. It actually seems impossible.

Mauser KAR98K
03-09-16, 22:53

We want Pete Best!

Averageman
03-10-16, 08:21

Even Ringo got replaced for a minute.
Apparently he was too sick to tour Australia at one point and show went on without him. Clapton nearly replaced Harrison at one point or another when the studio stuff was pissing George off.
I would say George Martin had his hands full and still produced some of the best music of that era.

Mauser KAR98K
03-10-16, 09:27
Even Ringo got replaced for a minute.
Apparently he was too sick to tour Australia at one point and show went on without him. Clapton nearly replaced Harrison at one point or another when the studio stuff was pissing George off.
I would say George Martin had his hands full and still produced some of the best music of that era.

Wonder if on his death bed, he said he was still pissed at Yoko?