PDA

View Full Version : Mac or PC

elephant
03-10-16, 02:09
I've had a PC for years. Once you get use to something, you really don't like change. However, after the Windows 10 install, I feel that Microsoft is trying to imitate Apple with there design, look and Desktop apps and making you pay for more shit. I have had to register and sign up for 4 different features before I could even get on the internet. Its like they took there mobile version and applied it to there desktop computers. I lost my Windows XP and now using EDGE which sucks. I lost my tool bars and favorite bars but I can purchase the apps to get to the apps to the pages I go to most like ebay, amazon, Pandora, Netflix, youtube etc. Not really, that's all they have in the "featured" section. I have never in my life used a Mac computer, except 1988 and they were called Macintosh. Only experience with an apple product is my IPhone and IPad. I have said I would never buy a apple computer because I didn't want to associate with the kind of people who line up outside of there store. I don't fit in with the apple crowd but it looks like that's where I am headed tomorrow.

Would you recommend a Mac over PC or vice versa? If so, does a Mac have a short learning curve?

I don't really use a computer for anything than internet surfing, photo editing, video editing and emails and paying bills and buying shit. Ive never had Microsoft Office/365/Word/ Powerpoint and anything like that.

Travis B
03-10-16, 05:58
I grew up in a PC household and had a PC until my wife decided she wanted a MacBook Pro. I was reluctant because the last Mac I had used was the old fluorescent Macs in school. But when we unboxed it I was hooked. I didn't have to spend two days uninstalling fluff software like on the Lenovo we bought 6 months before and we were online in less than a minute after going through the initial setup pages (like on any OS). I've always been a keyboard shortcut guy and most of the same shortcuts transfer over, using the apple key instead of CTRL.

Especially since you're an iPhone guy I say go for it. You won't regret it.

Tigereye
03-10-16, 06:18
Mine has become a Mac family. The first Mac was bought for the oldest daughter when she was a Sr. in HS. She's now 24 and the Mac is still going strong. We now have 3 Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc. Very short and easy learning curve. The youngest daughter's Mac had a problem this week (the Mac is 5 yrs old). I called them on the phone and spoke to someone in Atlanta who walked me through the repair. FOR FREE on a 5 yr old computer. Prior to Macs, we always had Dells or one Toshiba. We didn't get that kind of service from them. The Macs are also the preferred machine for kids in college, or at least at our daughters' schools.

TheChunkNorris
03-10-16, 06:30
PC is good for gaming and that's about it. Now that you can run Microsoft applications in Mac without using partitions(Word, Excel, and PP), there's no real reason to run PC for daily stuff.

MichaelVain
03-10-16, 06:37
We are a Mac family.

Mac's are very easy to use and very intuitive. Like most things, once you get used to the short learning curve, you'll be fine. All your Apple products will work together as you grow. Handoff is very useful where you can work on your iPhone or iPad and continue to work on the same email or document on your Mac. There are lots of examples, but that is just one.

I do have a Sony Laptop with Windows 7 that I only use for 1 PC game. I don't put anything else on it. It's been trying to force me into a Windows 10 upgrade for months. When Windows is trying to force me into an upgrade, that's how I know it can't be good.

Also, if you buy an Apple Extreme wireless router, you will never have issues with connectivity (like having to reset your router etc).

I'm still using my mid 2010 Macbook Pro 17". It's been going strong for almost 6 years with only 1 hard drive replacement that was covered under Apple Care 3 years ago. Just last week, Apple designated this model "vintage" where they will not service it anymore. After 6 years of hard daily use carrying to and from work, being my media server for 4 Apple TVs, and 3 kids playing on it, it shows no signs of slowing down.

I'll probably get the next gen Macbook Pro when it comes out later this year, I'm sad they don't make 17" bags anymore, but at least with a 15" I can justify buying a new Vertx pack to carry it. :cool:

Hmac
03-10-16, 06:48
I used to be in the PC camp, years ago. Built a progressive series of high-end gaming machines for online gaming. I finally got tired of a muddled infrastructures, programs that wouldn't run reliably or interfered with each other, crashing OS, non-intuitive interface, and switched to Mac. Now, I have to use PCs at work, although the mobile aspect of the environment is all iPhone and iPad, which in itself uncovers a lot of weakness and frustration in the enterprise PC environment. As to gaming, I still play online, but I just install Windows 10 on my Mac and boot the Mac into Windows. It runs Black Ops III at full resolution without a hitch.

The main thing that I like is that running the computer, attaching accessories, all that stuff that has pages of instructions on a PC, just plugs into the Mac and it works. The equipment is reliable, and customer service is excellent. I can't imagine anything that would bring me back to the PC world. Even if I was thinking about it, my daily experience with Windows and PCs at work would snap me back to reality.

VooDoo6Actual
03-10-16, 07:03
MAC's tend to be more "UI" user interface, intuitive, adaptive aka user friendly w/ apps & commands. That pretty much is the industry gold standard of thought regarding MAC vs. MS PC. Your observations are correct as there has been clearly a shift towards MS PC taking a bigger bite out of the Apple especially regarding Laptop market.

The recent Microsoft Surface Book / Surface 4 is a good case & point metric. Clearly it's design was closely patterned as MAC Book species close copy. The DNA is different but the outside metric is clearly similar.

MAC has it's evil as well & they all are part of the BORG. That being said, the MAC tends to get infected less w/ viruses, malware, BOTs, worms et al etc.

They both (Apple & MS) develop Cult of Personality extremist's, pseudo intellectual vacuums & seemingly void less programmed organic twits. All part of the polemic paradigm & Jungian duality theory.

Here's the simple reality to the way it's all laid out via consumerism & control. The Computing industry is patterned after The Auto industry. As the now infamous philosopher said "there is nothing new under the Sun"....

Planned Obselescence is they're God of revenue & profit to the "Borg of Directors". They achieve that by either purposely obsoleting the software, inventing new "work a rounds" to purposely obsolete or create the illusion of obselescence of the software / or incompatibility issues to continually create the perceived need for upgrades, new toys that do not much more upon final scrutiny. A "shiny new object" to ramp up man's ego & need to have or separate him from the rest. All part of the organic programming of humans that most don't have a clue.

Welcome to the consumer machine of social hacking & planned obsolescence.
Enjoy your journey !

chuckman
03-10-16, 08:01
I would love to have a Mac but my reasoning for not owning one so far is the expense. I know it's another version of buy once/cry once, but with so many priorities competing for my $ it's hard to justify the expense.

Kenneth
03-10-16, 08:05
^^^ yea they are expensive but I still use my late 2009 27" iMac. I have never had any problems with it at all. I have never had a Windows PC last this long.

Windows if your a gamer. Mac for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis B
03-10-16, 08:08
I would love to have a Mac but my reasoning for not owning one so far is the expense. I know it's another version of buy once/cry once, but with so many priorities competing for my $ it's hard to justify the expense.

Check Best Buy and others for deals. I spent $400 on a Lenovo that had less storage space and was horribly slow. OK processor but it had a traditional hard drive and with so many pre-loaded programs it would lag opening Google Chrome. I think we resold it two months later for half the price. My wife's MacBook Pro, on the other hand, came with a SSD and is lightning fast. And I picked it up for around $900 because I found it on sale at Best Buy.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-10-16, 08:12
Converted to about three years ago. Wife and I have MBPs and a gaggle if i devices for a family of four.

The MBPs are tough and have longer lives that any PC laptops. They just upgrade and update the OS so much more elegantly. The trade off is that if it does something, it does it well. If it isn't set up to do it, there really isn't a way to hack it to do it.

I have noticed that Apple devices are getting goofier. Longer start times, iOS updates having issues. The universe of Apple devices are so vast now, I think the complexity is catching up.

Yep, and the cost. Though if spec'd out similarly, pipe hitting Lenovos are on are par with MBPs. My MBP is three years old and my wife's is 6 and she really doesn't want a new one.

chuckman
03-10-16, 08:14
Yeah, fella's, I have no counterargument. I like Apple and every three years when I have to invariably buy a new PC I always say I am going to buy a Mac. I have inherited my wife's financial prowess (she can squeeze a penny and make change), so really, really hate to spend the money. But I will. Next machine.

Firefly
03-10-16, 08:31
Macs are like Glocks
PCs are like 1911s/2011s.

If you just wanna skype, facebook, laugh at cat videos.....Mac. It holds its value should you resell it, has great customer care, and is pretty simple if a bit limiting.

PCs, again, are like 1911s. You can get a RIA made in the Philippines by spastic ladyboys who lost their looks using old tooling or you can get a Wilson Combat.

You can run it stock or mod it in good ways or bad ways.
You can run Linux, Winblows, OHShititsXpired (OSX), Et Al on your PC sort of like swapping out barrels.

There is more aftermarket and if you keep up on your drivers, patches, and updates; you should have no problems. Or keep a 'quarantined' workstation.

Macs virus control is like the Waltons with a shotgun in an unlocked farmhouse in the country

PCs are like guys in a bad Detroit neighborhood with bars on the wall, chain-smoking and cradling their ARs with magazines ranger taped.

Food for thought.

jstalford
03-10-16, 08:36

I have had problems with every pc I've ever owned from $300-$900. Maybe a more savvy user could have extended their usable life but not I. Most were unusable within 2 years.

However I have 5 macs ranging from 15 years old to less than a year and they all still work for basic things like word processing/internet/music etc.

Defaultmp3
03-10-16, 08:40
Its like they took there mobile version and applied it to there desktop computers. I lost my Windows XP and now using EDGE which sucks. I lost my tool bars and favorite bars but I can purchase the apps to get to the apps to the pages I go to most like ebay, amazon, Pandora, Netflix, youtube etc. Not really, that's all they have in the "featured" section.This sounds like purely a web browser issue. Windows 10 still has Internet Explorer, last I checked, so you're hardly tied into Edge. Or, picking some other browser from the menagerie; I personally use Chrome. I'm not a big fan of Windows 10, but it's quite serviceable; I like it better than Windows 8.

Longevity of the different machines is wildly variable on the computer you get; it's not fair to compare the lifespan of a MBP with a random Windows box, given that there are so many external variables at play. My ThinkPad's been running strong for almost 5 years now; my desktop's CPU is hitting 7 years, and is still a beast, as I've been able to swap out parts over the years.

Outlander Systems
03-10-16, 08:46
Unfortunately, my PC is a tool, so Mac is not an option.

For the uses you've outlined, Mac is the way to go.

I don't really use a computer for anything than internet surfing, photo editing, video editing and emails and paying bills and buying shit. Ive never had Microsoft Office/365/Word/ Powerpoint and anything like that.

ggammell
03-10-16, 08:48
We want to MAC in 2011 when my PC finally had it. I was scared. One plug and up and running. My first thought was why didn't we do this sooner? Integration with iOS devices is stupid easy.

I like that MAC upgrades hardware once a year which slows the obsolete nice factor down considerably versus PC. After 5 years there isn't anything out there my system cant run. I've upgrades RAM just to keep up with the new OS versions for optimal performance but it wasn't necessary.

My wife bought a MacBook Air the next year. That thing is great.

OS stability is great. Easy to use. MAC all the way.

Hmac
03-10-16, 08:51
The "planned obsolescence" concept is way overblown. Everything becomes "obsolete" as new models with better technology become available, cars, computers, toasters....

The construction quality of Mac computers is excellent and they will last and continue to function a long long time. You can't blame Apple for creating faster and better OS and software that takes advantage of faster and better hardware. The support of legacy hardware and software has to have its limits.

Hmac
03-10-16, 08:59
PC is good for gaming and that's about it. Now that you can run Microsoft applications in Mac without using partitions(Word, Excel, and PP), there's no real reason to run PC for daily stuff.

PC games still don't run well in a partitioned window. The other non-graphics intensive stuff runs great, but all those programs are available natively for Mac, so no need to rely on Windows for Office functions. If you do want gaming, it's pretty straightforward to install Windows in a separate disk partition and run it natively on any Intel Mac (which the all are these days).

You can do that on an iPad. I still have my old MacBook Pro from 2010, runs great, but the reason I haven't bought a new laptop is that when I'm on the road, my iPad, now iPad Pro, does all the stuff I need, including the photo editing (Photoshop app).

jmp45
03-10-16, 09:07
We use both here. I'm very slowly moving my business from pc to mac. The win software that I can't part with runs fine on mac using parallels. My work gets backed up redundantly on network drives partitioned and formatted exfat so I can access and work from any machine without conflicts.

Singlestack Wonder
03-10-16, 09:10
If ones needs to be able to have access to software for any conceivable application, the PC. If one needs limited software offerings and a more stable operating system, the Apple.

Dienekes
03-10-16, 09:10
I am a cheap Luddite, interested only in results with a low tolerance for complexity. The thing is intuitive and just works.

Koshinn
03-10-16, 09:18
Just like when people ask "what is your use case" when someone is looking for their opinion of firearms, the same goes for PC.

What is your use case?

If you game, PC is the only option if you want better than console graphics. If you want to do GPU-based calculations (CUDA, OpenCL), PC will also generally be your best bet unless you're just dabbling in it.

If you're doing basically anything else, both will serve your purpose. I mean really, you're likely in your web browser 99% of the time anyway, and Chrome and Firefox are on both PC and Mac.

Macs tend to get less malware and hackers because they have a small market share - why spend resources developing exploits and learning the OS of a 8% niche of the market when you can go after the other 90%+? Be under no illusions that it's because Apple is better at security or anything. It's security via being a smaller target.

If you have an iPhone, a Mac might make sense. Idk, I've never plugged my phone into my computer.

I kind of see Mac vs PC like a SCAR vs AR. SCARs are pretty great, there are some after market components but not a whole lot, and you can generally just buy it and run it. ARs come in a wide variety, from cheap economy models that won't last very long to high end models that make owning a SCAR sort of redundant. Parts are plentiful and if you put in a little time and effort into learning the system, you can upgrade individual components or not based on your individual need or preference. But some people don't like upgrading and just want something "that works" out of the box. And you can get one of those in a SCAR as well as an AR, but the AR "brand" gets dragged down by the low end machines.

So. What's your budget? For your use case of:

What kind of video editing? If you're doing 4K, you'll likely want a PC for a smoother experience because of higher end hardware. Internet surfing, photo editing, emails, and bills can all be done equally well on both.

SomeOtherGuy
03-10-16, 09:48
We currently have five PCs, two running Windoze 8.1 and three on Win 7. The Win 7 machines run OK. One of the 8.1 machines runs OK and the other terribly. Windoze 7 worked fairly well and everything since is awful. We are resisting the Windoze 10 downgrade as long as possible, which has required disabling automatic updates and closing that annoying pop-up almost daily.

In the past we've used versions of Linux with good success. We would like to again, but use certain software that isn't available for Linux, and for business I have to have one machine that runs "Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 or 3, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later, Windows 8" and nothing else. Looking at switching one or two machines to Linux and keeping 1-2 Windoze for business.

I haven't done it, but I'm told that many PCs can be made to run MacOS with custom configuration, and that you can by legitimate MacOS for $25 if you want to do so. I might look into this also.

Koshinn
03-10-16, 09:53
We currently have five PCs, two running Windoze 8.1 and three on Win 7. The Win 7 machines run OK. One of the 8.1 machines runs OK and the other terribly. Windoze 7 worked fairly well and everything since is awful. We are resisting the Windoze 10 downgrade as long as possible, which has required disabling automatic updates and closing that annoying pop-up almost daily.

In the past we've used versions of Linux with good success. We would like to again, but use certain software that isn't available for Linux, and for business I have to have one machine that runs "Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 or 3, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later, Windows 8" and nothing else. Looking at switching one or two machines to Linux and keeping 1-2 Windoze for business.

I haven't done it, but I'm told that many PCs can be made to run MacOS with custom configuration, and that you can by legitimate MacOS for $25 if you want to do so. I might look into this also.

PCs running OS X generally isn't a great user experience. You need a hacked version of OS X to do it, you'll probably get lag, all your hardware might not work, and auto-updates might break things. And it's not exactly easy to install.

Macs running Windows is a much better experience.

scooter22
03-10-16, 10:21
I can't imagine ever going back to a PC.

It's so easy to use, Mac OS is way nicer than Windows, and it's never crashed for any reason.

I bought my MacBook Pro in 2010 and it's still going strong.

Koshinn
03-10-16, 10:31
I honestly don't understand why people with Windows PCs get crashes. I essentially never get crashes* and the only hardware that fails is generally the hard drive (which has only happened to me when using my macbook from 2009), but hard drives are the same on both. 90% of the hardware is more or less the same, actually.

Windows 7 and 10 are both quick with good user experiences. I'm on a 10 year old Dell desktop with Windows 7 right now and it's fine, besides that it has less RAM than my phone.

* I have gotten crashes when trying to push my graphics card more than 30% past factory specs. My OEM 980ti was just not happy at 1,400 mhz. I'm not sure what I expected though, considering even the EVGA 980ti kingpin comes in at 1300mhz, and that costs $400 more. And idk why I was even doing that, getting 100+ fps on BF4 with ultra settings at 2560x1440 is fine and that only takes 1,200 mhz.

scooter22
03-10-16, 10:38
I honestly don't understand why people with Windows PCs get crashes. I essentially never get crashes and the only hardware that fails is generally the hard drive (which has only happened to me when using my macbook from 2009), but hard drives are the same on both. 90% of the hardware is more or less the same, actually.

Windows 7 and 10 are both quick with good user experiences. I'm on a 10 year old Dell desktop with Windows 7 right now and it's fine, besides that it has less RAM than my phone.

Perhaps, Mac is just easier to use for those (including myself) who aren't particularly tech savvy?

Koshinn
03-10-16, 10:41
Perhaps, Mac is just easier to use for those (including myself) who aren't particularly tech savvy?

I honestly don't see how it's easier to use. On Windows, you double click things and things happen. On Mac, you double click things and things happen.

I guess OS X does a better job at preventing the user from being stupid, like installing toolbars on browsers. I've actually seen some people with browsers approaching this: http://i46.tinypic.com/2q21qi8.jpg

Hmac
03-10-16, 10:44
I honestly don't understand why people with Windows PCs get crashes.

I've had that conversation with our IT people a lot, since the more I use Macs at home, the less tolerant I am of program crashing or lock-ups on the PCs at work.

-corrupted registry...probably the most common reason, I'm told

-bad drivers...a variety of cheap crappy hardware with bad drivers. The PC environment isn't as closely regulated as Mac

-bad software, or software that doesn't work with other software trying to run at the same time. May crash Windows, but more often just crashes one program or the other. Irritating, again occurs because of relative unregulation of the software

Koshinn
03-10-16, 10:52
I've had that conversation with out IT people a lot, since the more I use Macs at home, the less tolerant I am of program crashing or lock-ups on the PCs at work.

-corrupted registry...probably the most common reason, I'm told

-bad drivers...a variety of cheap crappy hardware with bad drivers. The PC environment isn't as closely regulated as Mac

-bad software, or software that doesn't work with other software trying to run at the same time. May crash Windows, but more often just crashes one program or the other. Irritating, again occurs because of relative unregulation of the software

I guess a corrupted registry could cause a crash. It hasn't been the cause of any crashes I've seen, but I don't work IT support.

Bad hardware is definitely a problem when you let anyone install anything. Apple protects its user experience by strictly regulating what hardware you can use. All Apple computers come from Apple, for example. It's a dark side to the freedom a PC user has to do almost anything.

Bad software is another issue of a more open system. In OS X, you generally need to be a registered developer with Apple to get a valid signature for your apps to run on OS X. More advanced users can by-pass the signature check, but by default it prevents unsigned apps from running. Microsoft is working to mitigate that with their Windows Store... but meh.

But honestly, if I didn't game, I'd probably only have an ultrabook-class laptop and it would be whichever had the best combination of hardware and price at the time. Right now, IMO, that's the Dell XPS 13. I just got one for that reason, and it blows its same-class Mac and PC competitors out of the water. Will it continue to do so in 6 months or a year? Who knows. But since I generally use Google Chrome and Github Atom and both are cross-platform, OS doesn't matter to me.

Hmac
03-10-16, 11:21
But honestly, if I didn't game, I'd probably only have an ultrabook-class laptop and it would be whichever had the best combination of hardware and price at the time. Right now, IMO, that's the Dell XPS 13. I just got one for that reason, and it blows its same-class Mac and PC competitors out of the water. Will it continue to do so in 6 months or a year? Who knows. But since I generally use Google Chrome and Github Atom and both are cross-platform, OS doesn't matter to me.

I game on my iMac Retina with 5k display. The entire COD series. I have a 500 gig Windows partition that runs Windows 10. Hold down the option key at startup and a dialog comes up asking me whether I want to boot MacOS or Windows. Click Windows and the Windows 10 desktop comes up. Open TeamSpeak, open Black Op III (or whatever PC game I'm running) and game away. All the hardware works, both 27 inch monitors work, networking is normal (wireless or WAN)...it's a Windows machine indistinguishable from the one's I use at work, except faster with better video performance. I'd have to go look at the video settings I'm using and the frame rates I'm getting, but it's not an issue. Gameplay is as smooth as anything else I've used, and far better than BOIII on my son's Xbox.

AS to program stability, this just happened on my PC at work. Not an unusual occurrence at all.

Firefly
03-10-16, 11:50
PCs and Winblows got SUCH a bad rap because with Win 98 you'd get that horrid BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)
It was like M16s and Vietnam it got so bad.

Apple protects it's proprietary chinese made hardware. Apple will read off a script to get your OS going should you do anything beyond browsing.

But you're using a SCAR like one guy pointed out.

With the right hardware, you can have an SR-15 of a PC. You don't even need Winblows.

An ASUS Zenbook is my next big move.

I have a 12 year old Acer laptop. It works. I probably couldn't get 10 bucks for it at a flea market but it works. It's seen a few Powerpoint presentations, written up more than a few reports, and so forth.

It's not whizbang but it works. So I never bought into the whole macbook spiel.

I will say that iPads are probably the most handy tablets vs android. But can be used with a PC or Mac.

FWIW I'm not that much a computer guru. I'm probably a bit behind the curve but on that same note I could set water on fire and irreparably break a rock. Sooo....

YMMV

Hmac
03-10-16, 12:58
PCs and Winblows got SUCH a bad rap because with Win 98 you'd get that horrid BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)
It was like M16s and Vietnam it got so bad.

Apple protects it's proprietary chinese made hardware. Apple will read off a script to get your OS going should you do anything beyond browsing.

I agree, the BSOD is rare these days. And I agree, Apple protects its proprietary Chinese-made hardware. If the PC world protected its Chinese-made (non-proprietary and Chinese-designed) hardware as well, there wouldn't be the difference in stability and reliability.

At work, they gave me a Surface Pro so I could work remotely. It's cumbersome to use and the necessary remote connections are difficult. I found that it's far easier to use my iPad or iPhone to connect through the VPN and log onto Citrix and then our Windows-based Electronic Health Record.

elephant
03-10-16, 13:46
I appreciate the feed back, most likely I am going to by a mac today.

brickboy240
03-10-16, 13:54
I have a kid going to college in a year and a mortgage.

An expensive computer is just not in the mix, sorry. I don't have 900-1400 bucks to blow on a laptop.

So I stick with a Windows based system, running 7 Professional and good virus protection. Using a 4 year old Lenovo ThinkPad and never seen the BSOD or had a virus.

BuzzinSATX
03-10-16, 14:28
Mine has become a Mac family. The first Mac was bought for the oldest daughter when she was a Sr. in HS. She's now 24 and the Mac is still going strong. We now have 3 Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc. Very short and easy learning curve. The youngest daughter's Mac had a problem this week (the Mac is 5 yrs old). I called them on the phone and spoke to someone in Atlanta who walked me through the repair. FOR FREE on a 5 yr old computer. Prior to Macs, we always had Dells or one Toshiba. We didn't get that kind of service from them. The Macs are also the preferred machine for kids in college, or at least at our daughters' schools.

My story is almost identical. I used to get 3-4 years from a PC before I had to upgrade it or replace it, but the first MacBook Pro (bone basic, stock, 13") I bought in 2009 has survived both daughters and I'm now using it myself. Just had to replace the original battery which had stop holding a charge for more than a few days, but it was both old and abused by both kids.

Easy to reset to factory specs, and the Apple Store folks are an outstanding help whenever I have problems.

Yes, Macs cost a lot more, but they have had much more durability in my experience, and no more "blue screen of death" issues!!!!

YMMV.

Take Care,

Buzz

BuzzinSATX
03-10-16, 14:48
I will say there are some things I miss using a Mac. The "delete" key is probably the biggest thing. And I was a Quicken user for years and the Mac Quicken version isn't nearly as good.

And we all use Microsoft Office for Mac, which we prefer to the Apple suite. So Macs are not perfect, but at least I haven't spent several hours of my life trying to talk to someone I can barely understand in India trying to help me fix my PC that blew up.

And when my kid at college 200 miles away has issues at midnight, there is always a few kids she can call who can help AND Apple phone techs are way more user-friendly in my experience.

Take Care,

Buzz

Koshinn
03-10-16, 15:19
I game on my iMac Retina with 5k display. The entire COD series. I have a 500 gig Windows partition that runs Windows 10. Hold down the option key at startup and a dialog comes up asking me whether I want to boot MacOS or Windows. Click Windows and the Windows 10 desktop comes up. Open TeamSpeak, open Black Op III (or whatever PC game I'm running) and game away. All the hardware works, both 27 inch monitors work, networking is normal (wireless or WAN)...it's a Windows machine indistinguishable from the one's I use at work, except faster with better video performance. I'd have to go look at the video settings I'm using and the frame rates I'm getting, but it's not an issue. Gameplay is as smooth as anything else I've used, and far better than BOIII on my son's Xbox.

AS to program stability, this just happened on my PC at work. Not an unusual occurrence at all.

Cause a Flash error is a problem with PCs? Flash is the scourge of the computing world, both OS X and Windows.

A $2300 top of the line iMac has a AMD Radeon R9 M395X, which is roughly an nvidia gtx 960, which is a decent card in the grand scheme of things, if you're playing 1080p. It in no way delivers what I'd consider an "A" rated experience at 5K, which is maxed out graphics settings and consistent 60 FPS. For around half the price you can get a PC with a better GPU and CPU. Of course the iMac will be better than a console though, even the XBox One and PS4 struggle to output 720p and 30 FPS.

There is zero chance that you're maxing out graphics settings, getting a stable 60 FPS, and running at native 5K on your iMac on a modern Call of Duty game. But then again, maybe maxing out settings or getting 60 FPS or playing at max resolution isn't important to you, and that's ok.

I have a kid going to college in a year and a mortgage.

An expensive computer is just not in the mix, sorry. I don't have 900-1400 bucks to blow on a laptop.

So I stick with a Windows based system, running 7 Professional and good virus protection. Using a 4 year old Lenovo ThinkPad and never seen the BSOD or had a virus.
I'd highly recommend this as something that comes in under $900... or for any price: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-XPS-13-9350-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.326871500

Defaultmp3
03-10-16, 16:09
I'd highly recommend this as something that comes in under $900... or for any price: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-XPS-13-9350-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.326871500No clit mouse. No go.

Seriously, the TrackPoint™ style pointer is straight legit, at least on my ThinkPad (not terribly fond of it on my Dell Precision, but still prefer it over leaving the home row to use the touchpad). Keyboard, too. Most laptop keyboards suck, IMO, MBPs included.

Hmac
03-10-16, 16:50
Cause a Flash error is a problem with PCs? Flash is the scourge of the computing world, both OS X and Windows.

A $2300 top of the line iMac has a AMD Radeon R9 M395X, which is roughly an nvidia gtx 960, which is a decent card in the grand scheme of things, if you're playing 1080p. It in no way delivers what I'd consider an "A" rated experience at 5K, which is maxed out graphics settings and consistent 60 FPS. For around half the price you can get a PC with a better GPU and CPU. Of course the iMac will be better than a console though, even the XBox One and PS4 struggle to output 720p and 30 FPS.

There is zero chance that you're maxing out graphics settings, getting a stable 60 FPS, and running at native 5K on your iMac on a modern Call of Duty game. But then again, maybe maxing out settings or getting 60 FPS or playing at max resolution isn't important to you, and that's ok.

I don't recall where I set the graphics, but I'll check it out and let you know, along with a frame rate counter. I've been playing FPS a long long time, since the days of Doom, then Quake. I'm very critical of the performance on the computers I use. The performance on this iMac is excellent, and I'll confess I was a little surprised. Macs are not peak performers in the computer world. From a performance standpoint, they are "good enough". Their strong suit is stability, interoperabililty, and a mature and very seamless environment. If you're the kind of guy that just has to have the fastest PC in your Call of Duty clan and love tinkering under the hood to squeeze out every last frame, then you're correct...Macs are not for you. For my part, I used to obsess about motherboards, hard drives, RAM, and video cards and NewEgg made a lot of money off my obsession over those details. I outgrew that shit years ago and now just want to sit down at the computer and do my work without a lot of involvement in how the thing is working. Computers in and of themselves just aren't a hobby for me anymore.

As to Flash, yeah, it sucks on all platforms. Fortunately, it's going away. It just happens to suck more on Windows than on Mac in my experience. I've never had Flash crash at home, while it's fairly routine here at work. But that's only an example....let's not focus on Flash. It's the kind of bullshit that I have to put up with at work, and fortunately don't have to tolerate at home. My most recent headache has been random crashes of Powerpoint. Only happened once today, fortunately. And I'm dreading the need sit down with Premiere Elements to get some of the video edited and off my desk. Fortunately I can do that at home where PE is less problematic.

Different strokes. The OP sounds like his performance demands aren't particularly elaborate. As I mentioned, I do most of that stuff on an iPad. For his purposes the trade-off is only money vs OS environment.

Koshinn
03-10-16, 17:55
Yeah, it seems the OP's only major concern should be cost, then finding the best system from anywhere for that amount of money.

He could build a PC for fairly cheap, spend more money for something with a warranty, spend more money for something with an Apple on it, spend more for a computer powerful enough to literally act as a room heater (like mine does... fml), and anything in between. A small computer, a large computer, a laptop, a tablet, a hybrid, all are possible based on cost and requirements!

Hmac
03-10-16, 17:59
We are inundated with data management choices these days. One reason, I suppose, that people ask about computers on gun forums. It can be an intimidating landscape.

Outlander Systems
03-10-16, 18:28
Holy awesomesauce, Batman! You just made my night.

I honestly don't see how it's easier to use. On Windows, you double click things and things happen. On Mac, you double click things and things happen.

I guess OS X does a better job at preventing the user from being stupid, like installing toolbars on browsers. I've actually seen some people with browsers approaching this: http://i46.tinypic.com/2q21qi8.jpg

Dude, you'd be surprised...

I'm currently doing my best John Titor impression, trying to track down a 386, in good/great shape, with less than 50MHz on the clock, for less than a couple hundred bucks. Ain't happenin'.

I have a 12 year old Acer laptop. It works. I probably couldn't get 10 bucks for it at a flea market but it works.

jmoney
03-10-16, 20:02
I honestly don't understand why people with Windows PCs get crashes. I essentially never get crashes* and the only hardware that fails is generally the hard drive (which has only happened to me when using my macbook from 2009), but hard drives are the same on both. 90% of the hardware is more or less the same, actually.

* I have gotten crashes when trying to push my graphics card more than 30% past factory specs. My OEM 980ti was just not happy at 1,400 mhz. I'm not sure what I expected though, considering even the EVGA 980ti kingpin comes in at 1300mhz, and that costs $400 more. And idk why I was even doing that, getting 100+ fps on BF4 with ultra settings at 2560x1440 is fine and that only takes 1,200 mhz.

Me neither. I've had 0 crashes with windows 10. I still use a mac book all the time around the house. But for work, its Windows. Even have a windows phone.

kwelz
03-10-16, 20:13
If you are gaming, get a PC. Well build a PC. If you are working then get a Mac in most cases.

I have a custom built water cooled PC that I use for just gaming and rendering. Nothing more. However for anything serious I use my Macbook Pro. And honestly I would prefer a Mac Pro for my production work.

Firefly
03-10-16, 21:16
Outlander,
Do tell.

I'd love a Commodore 64 again. Emulation exists but it's not the same.

I also miss my old 386. I guess that's why I'm so hardcore into vaporwave now.

I now understand why guys fought over wood cabinet turnstiles and old RCA black and whites.

Man...just think. Some day kids are gonna be waxing nostalgic over iPads and whatnot.

Meh, I stick with PC as my religion because it is all I know except for Apple IIs in elementary school library.

elephant
03-10-16, 22:04
i got a MacBook Pro today, the apple store made it easy for me. walked me through everything and i was sold. The problem with windows 10 is that you have to pay monthly for edge and they don't sell software anymore, you pay monthly as well as have to sign up for windows cloud and pay for that. Almost the same model Adobe uses. I'm happy so far, getting use to it, not having to buy upgrades and antivirus is nice. i got the 15" pro, cd drive, case all for less than $2000.

Koshinn
03-10-16, 22:21
i got a MacBook Pro today, the apple store made it easy for me. walked me through everything and i was sold. The problem with windows 10 is that you have to pay monthly for edge and they don't sell software anymore, you pay monthly as well as have to sign up for windows cloud and pay for that. Almost the same model Adobe uses. I'm happy so far, getting use to it, not having to buy upgrades and antivirus is nice. i got the 15" pro, cd drive, case all for less than $2000.

Did the Apple store tell you that you have to pay monthly for Edge and that you have to sign up for windows cloud? Cause if so, they flat out lied to you to make a sale. I personally have 3 Windows 10 machines and I don't pay Microsoft a single dime on any sort of regular basis.

You need antivirus as a mac user just as much as pc users. Which varies from not at all for very savvy users to definitely without question.

Firefly
03-10-16, 22:34
It bears repeating:
Mac "antivirus" is akin to the Waltons with a single double barrel with a handful of shells living in the hills of rural Virginia.

PC Antivirus is like five guys in plate armor with battle rattle and Mk. 18s with ranger taped mags, chain-smoking and living in a house in downtown Detroit with bars on the windows.

Who is really "safer"? Who would survive the home invasion?

JoshNC
03-10-16, 23:21
Mac. I held out for years while friends made the switch from PC to mac. Finally I made the switch while working at an institution that had amazing employee pricing on Macs. Now I will never go back. Macs are just better computers all around.

elephant
03-11-16, 00:08
Did the Apple store tell you that you have to pay monthly for Edge and that you have to sign up for windows cloud? Cause if so, they flat out lied to you to make a sale. .

i spent over an hour on the phone with microsoft today. in april they are not going to offer a "hard copy" of any software, meaning you will not buy a disk in a box. You will go to there app store and purchase a month to month lease for each product and pay through microsoft account. you will also have to have a microsoft cloud account and depending how software you need will determine the amount of storage. 10gb is $4.99/month its BS but that is the same business model Adobe went years ago. the way i figured would be microsoft office would be $9.99/month, microsoft cloud $4.99/month, microsoft edge is free but if you want the full web browser it is $4.99 month and comes with email and a few exclusive content and apps. NO THANKS!!! The microsoft store is right across the hall from apple in the mall i went to to buy the macbook pro, i went in to look for a external harddrive, and after a few minutes of being talked down to for buying an apple, i said i didn't want to pay all the new fees and they looked at me and said, get use to it, thats the way its going to be for everyone. They don't want your money once, they want it every month.

cwgibson
03-11-16, 00:11
I've had a PC for years. Once you get use to something, you really don't like change. However, after the Windows 10 install, I feel that Microsoft is trying to imitate Apple with there design, look and Desktop apps and making you pay for more shit. I have had to register and sign up for 4 different features before I could even get on the internet. Its like they took there mobile version and applied it to there desktop computers. I lost my Windows XP and now using EDGE which sucks. I lost my tool bars and favorite bars but I can purchase the apps to get to the apps to the pages I go to most like ebay, amazon, Pandora, Netflix, youtube etc. Not really, that's all they have in the "featured" section. I have never in my life used a Mac computer, except 1988 and they were called Macintosh. Only experience with an apple product is my IPhone and IPad. I have said I would never buy a apple computer because I didn't want to associate with the kind of people who line up outside of there store. I don't fit in with the apple crowd but it looks like that's where I am headed tomorrow.

Would you recommend a Mac over PC or vice versa? If so, does a Mac have a short learning curve?

If that's all you use the machine for I would just install Linux. It's free and more reliable than PC and Mac in my experience. It may be a bit of a learning curve but it's not bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Koshinn
03-11-16, 00:25
i spent over an hour on the phone with microsoft today. in april they are not going to offer a "hard copy" of any software, meaning you will not buy a disk in a box. You will go to there app store and purchase a month to month lease for each product and pay through microsoft account.
But not Windows. They've flat out said that Windows 10 will not become a month to month payment. They've offered monthly payments for office for a while now, but also allow you to buy the full version for a one time fee.

you will also have to have a microsoft cloud account and depending how software you need will determine the amount of storage. 10gb is $4.99/month its BS but that is the same business model Adobe went years ago.
Microsoft Cloud is a distinct product from Microsoft OneDrive. Cloud is for businesses. OneDrive, which is cloud-based storage, is $1.99/month for 50gb and free for 5gb. https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/

It's also not required.

the way i figured would be microsoft office would be $9.99/month, microsoft cloud $4.99/month, microsoft edge is free but if you want the full web browser it is $4.99 month and comes with email and a few exclusive content and apps. NO THANKS!!! The microsoft store is right across the hall from apple in the mall i went to to buy the macbook pro, i went in to look for a external harddrive, and after a few minutes of being talked down to for buying an apple, i said i didn't want to pay all the new fees and they looked at me and said, get use to it, thats the way its going to be for everyone. They don't want your money once, they want it every month.
So if you're not going to buy Microsoft Office, what are you going to use on your new Mac? Are you going to buy Microsoft Office anyway? Or are you going to use a free version (Google Docs, NeoOffice, LibreOffice), which you could also do on a PC?

Btw, you can get Microsoft Office AND 1 TB of cloud storage for a total of $6.99 / month... not $15/month. https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/
For comparison, Apple iCloud is $10 / month for 1TB and you don't get Office with it.

And uh... I've never seen a cost for Microsoft Edge. I can't even find one on Google. And even if there was one... why would you use it? Get Chrome or Firefox like any half sane person.

I feel like whoever you talked to on the phone at Microsoft was incompetent. You should do your own research, it seriously took me like 5 minutes to find this stuff.

elephant
03-11-16, 01:00
this is just what I heard today from Microsoft. The prices I was told were for businesses and not home use. Apparently the full version of edge is able to open any type of file and they said every type of file extension without having to find some app or program to open. It also has some other functions that are only available if you purchase. There new pay email service has acrobat reader and other software built in. Both apple store and Microsoft store agreed and said the world is changing and the free stuff wasn't going to be free much longer. Google, Apple and Microsoft are not stupid people, they got it right away. When they see people lined up to spend $500-$800 on the newest tablet or phone and pay astronomical amount for data and voice plan, they knew they could cash in. I learned that Sony is not in the phone, tablet or computer business anymore, soon Samsung, Toshiba and Lenovo will stop production on mobile devices, tablets and computers. Since Samsung is using android most likely google will pick up all of there products and merge with there current line, Lenova is owned by IBM which will most likely to sell to google because they own Motorola. Its safe to say that in the next few years there will only be 3 go to companies for your phone, tablet, computer. Microsoft, Apple or Google since they all have very similar products. One product will have Edge, one will have Chrome and the other Safari and some type of cloud service that you will have to pay for that will store your music, photos, movies, emails, and everything else. Even Facebook and twitter have explored the ideas of charging a small amount and offering data back up and storage- after all they just built there 3rd data center for $1billion dollars. In not a computer expert or even advance, I just get on the internet, email, and edit photos and video I took with my drone. But I know a lot of business have been counseled to expect something like this happening in the future.

TheChunkNorris
03-11-16, 01:03
PC games still don't run well in a partitioned window. The other non-graphics intensive stuff runs great, but all those programs are available natively for Mac, so no need to rely on Windows for Office functions. If you do want gaming, it's pretty straightforward to install Windows in a separate disk partition and run it natively on any Intel Mac (which the all are these days).

That's pretty much what I said. I've been using Mac since 2009 and the operating system that the UAS I work with runs on PC... it crashes constantly and is extremely finicky. I'm a deployer and thankfully none of my Macs(2 since 2009) have ever crashed and all I've done is upgrade the HD, the HD in my particular Macbook Pro is a 960gb Crucial SSHD and it's amazing.

The last PC game I played was the original Battlefield and my brother builds high end gaming computers on the side, I see both systems a lot and prefer the Mac OS.

Hmac
03-11-16, 06:40
You need antivirus as a mac user just as much as pc users. Which varies from not at all for very savvy users to definitely without question.

There's some truth to this. Macs (and Linux) are inherently more resistant to viruses than Windows, but if you do stupid stuff then there are viruses you can pick up, even on MacOS or Linux.

Hmac
03-11-16, 06:49
Microsoft Cloud is a distinct product from Microsoft OneDrive. Cloud is for businesses. OneDrive, which is cloud-based storage, is $1.99/month for 50gb and free for 5gb. https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/

It's also not required.

I haven't looked into it much...I'm confused by the differences between Microsoft Cloud, One Drive, and Office 365 and I don't know what Edge is. I do subscribe to One Drive, which I find convenient. I can use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint across my Macs, PCs at work, and my iPad. I don't subscribe to Office on Macs (just bought the stand-alone version), but I did have to subscribe to One Drive to get access on my iPad and iPhone. That works pretty well. It's a little easier than saving multiple versions of any particular document to DropBox.

_Stormin_
03-11-16, 07:05
soon Samsung, Toshiba and Lenovo will stop production on mobile devices, tablets and computers. Since Samsung is using android most likely google will pick up all of there products and merge with there current line
No... Samsung won't stop making phones alone any time soon. The phones are a huge portion of their business. Overall Samsung produces 17% of South Koreas GDP. They're going to be around for some time.

Lenova is owned by IBM
No... Lenovo is a Chinese company that bought IBMs PC business in 2005 and their server business in 2014

which will most likely to sell to google because they own Motorola.
No... Google sold Motorola's handset business TO Lenovo in 2014 for just under three billion dollars.

Its safe to say that in the next few years there will only be 3 go to companies for your phone, tablet, computer.
No... It's not safe to say anything of the sort. It's safe to say that 3 companies will be the dominant force in smart phone operating systems, but that's the case now. Somehow BlackBerry won't die, but even they have started making Android phones.

In not a computer expert or even advance, I just get on the internet, email, and edit photos and video I took with my drone. But I know a lot of business have been counseled to expect something like this happening in the future.
Whomever is doing the counseling needs to be corrected...

To keep things kinda on topic. I'm a well established Apple fan. Between the wife and I we currently own three of their computers, three iPads, three iPhones, and various other little things (Apple TVs, routers, etc). They all work together very well and I've not yet had an issue with anything. I used to build my own PCs, and while I can admit that you can turn out some beautiful and powerful systems for a fair price, the desire to do so just isn't there anymore. (And building your own laptop is still not practical)

sadmin
03-11-16, 08:12
^Lol

sadmin
03-11-16, 09:56
I haven't looked into it much...I'm confused by the differences between Microsoft Cloud, One Drive, and Office 365 and I don't know what Edge is. I do subscribe to One Drive, which I find convenient. I can use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint across my Macs, PCs at work, and my iPad. I don't subscribe to Office on Macs (just bought the stand-alone version), but I did have to subscribe to One Drive to get access on my iPad and iPhone. That works pretty well. It's a little easier than saving multiple versions of any particular document to DropBox.

Hmac - are you on Epic for work?

Koshinn
03-11-16, 11:31
Whomever is doing the counseling needs to be corrected...

Thanks for parsing through that before I woke up.

Yeah, elephant, pretty much every "fact" you've gotten from your sources is a flat out lie or at the very least the computer equivalent of a gun store salesman. I mean if you changed some proper nouns, this conversation would fit perfectly in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?26703-DUMBEST-things-overheard-at-the-gun-store/page303. They pretty much pulled the "Obama is going to ban this ammo and all AR-15s so you better buy our stuff now" routine, except with even less proof than gunstore guys have.

I'm confused by the differences between Microsoft Cloud, One Drive, and Office 365 and I don't know what Edge is. I do subscribe to One Drive, which I find convenient. I can use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint across my Macs, PCs at work, and my iPad. I don't subscribe to Office on Macs (just bought the stand-alone version), but I did have to subscribe to One Drive to get access on my iPad and iPhone. That works pretty well. It's a little easier than saving multiple versions of any particular document to DropBox.
One Drive is Microsoft's version of DropBox, Amazon Cloud, Apple iCloud, and Google Drive.

Office 365 is Microsoft's monthly Office subscription service. You pay a small monthly fee instead of a large price up front, and you get Office and syncing across all your devices.

Microsoft Cloud is their business-centric cloud services product. Not exactly sure what it does, probably some combination of One Drive and Office 365.

Edge is Microsoft's new web browser that's included in Windows 10 and is supposed to eventually replace Internet Explorer. A lot of people tried it, then went back to Chrome or Firefox.

Hmac
03-11-16, 12:33

Yes. It's actually Excellian, a proprietary version of Epic with a little streamlined shell. It's interoperable though, able to access all Epic records at other facilities.

chuckman
03-11-16, 12:50

Holy crap. I just glanced at this and it was enough to make me have a seizure. I ****ing loathe Epic; or, at least what my employer has done to it.

caporider
03-11-16, 13:13
The guys I work with get a new PC laptop pretty much every year because they break easily. Over the course of two decades they've gone through EVERYTHING from ThinkPads to Dells to Asus' and even a Toughbook. I only use MacBook Pros and each one I've had has lasted at least 5 years. My current MBP is in its third year. I've had MBPs with bashed, dented bodies that would not close properly and they just continue to chug along. Meanwhile, one of my partners drops a few cookie crumbs in his Sony Vaio or whatever and it's Lights Out, Judy...

As others have pointed out, it's much easier to run Windows on a Mac than it is to run MacOS on a Windows machine. Use BootCamp to boot into a 100% native Windows install, or run Parallels or some other emulation software inside MacOS for easy stuff like QuickBooks Pro. With an SSD, rebooting takes all of 20 seconds.

sadmin
03-11-16, 14:00
Holy crap. I just glanced at this and it was enough to make me have a seizure. I ****ing loathe Epic; or, at least what my employer has done to it.

Well trust me, its 900 times better than Centricity and NextGen...to me anyway.

@Hmac- I was asking to see if you experience any issues or limitations while using a Mac with it-

Thanks

Koshinn
03-11-16, 14:15
The guys I work with get a new PC laptop pretty much every year because they break easily. Over the course of two decades they've gone through EVERYTHING from ThinkPads to Dells to Asus' and even a Toughbook. I only use MacBook Pros and each one I've had has lasted at least 5 years. My current MBP is in its third year. I've had MBPs with bashed, dented bodies that would not close properly and they just continue to chug along. Meanwhile, one of my partners drops a few cookie crumbs in his Sony Vaio or whatever and it's Lights Out, Judy...

As others have pointed out, it's much easier to run Windows on a Mac than it is to run MacOS on a Windows machine. Use BootCamp to boot into a 100% native Windows install, or run Parallels or some other emulation software inside MacOS for easy stuff like QuickBooks Pro. With an SSD, rebooting takes all of 20 seconds.

SSD booting on any OS takes 20 seconds or less.

I literally took my HP laptop to Afghanistan, it survived perfectly fine in the dust and shit there, dropped it about 4 ft onto concrete, dented the shit out of it, it's still working 6 years after I bought it.

I think you're just unlucky, bro.

caporider
03-11-16, 15:11
SSD booting on any OS takes 20 seconds or less.

For sure! The point in the pudding was that switching between MacOS and Windows is painless on a MBP.

Firefly
03-11-16, 15:49
FWIW the Soviets still use a 30 year old MSX computer in their space station....
Which uses Microsoft Basic...

And people year dropping Macs...meh.
Were one to get something and maintain it and use Linux....there would be no issues. I've got a shitheap Acer that was like a clearance sale back in 04 or 05.

Windows is good for vidya games, OSX is good for Facebook.

I got turned on to Linux in college. Now...well...now I don't even see why everyone doesn't use it.

As per Apple "security", there are a lot of nekkid pictures of some of our favorite Hollywood starlets all over the Internet all thanks to Apple's secure Cloud service.

Windows has gotten rather snoopy lately but it still isn't as insulting as OSX.

I'm not a computer guru but if my dumbass can keep a PC laptop alive well....just say'n

Digital_Damage
03-11-16, 16:01
use windows for work
use windows for gaming
use mac for home
use Linux for your basement with the faraday cage.

/thread

sadmin
03-11-16, 16:02
use windows for work
use windows for gaming
use mac for home
use Linux for your basement with the faraday cage.

/thread

so what is the new silk road going to be called?

Digital_Damage
03-11-16, 16:08
so what is the new silk road going to be called?

they reopened the old one. so it will be silk road... and tails sucks

Firefly
03-11-16, 16:14
Hey now....
Don't say basement with a Faraday cage like it's a bad thing.

When the Russians/South Koreans/Cloverfields show up...SOME of us will still be enjoying snakebite videos, 80s music videos, and Tetris.

As to the barrels of HK G3 builds soaked in cosmoline and sealed in a PVC pipe. I will thank you not to discuss that eithet.

pinzgauer
03-11-16, 16:28
I literally took my HP laptop to Afghanistan, it survived perfectly fine in the dust and shit there, dropped it about 4 ft onto concrete, dented the shit out of it, it's still working 6 years after I bought it.

HP makes two tiers of laptops. The elitebook family are very robust and are pro grade. That's what my company uses, and we run them 3 years. My favorite wintel laptop. Sleeker than a toughbook, almost as rugged

They are as solid as macbook pro's and I had two survive a lightning strike that took out a white macbook *and* charger.

On any laptops the key is to load them up with RAM when the price point gets right. And lately, use SSD.

And avoid the latest MS version or two. Win 7 still works very well and is very stable.

On the Mac's, I usually do fresh installs instead of OS upgrade, and usually only do it every other major release.

I have two white Macbooks from '08 that with a memory upgrade and SSD swap still run very well in '16 on Mavericks.

I don't like the new Apple approach of soldered RAM and non-user serviceable batteries. That is a no go for me.

Hmac
03-11-16, 18:50
Well trust me, its 900 times better than Centricity and NextGen...to me anyway.

@Hmac- I was asking to see if you experience any issues or limitations while using a Mac with it-

Thanks

We were using Meditech, which was bad. I'm OK with Epic. It's a little cumbersome, but it works fine for me.

No, Epic works fine on Macs, iPad, even iPhone. I connect from home via Citrix. Kind of a PITA since our implementation of Citrix access requires a SecureID either by app or by fob. I generally prefer to connect by VPN, which is simpler and requires only username and password and makes remote access via iPad or iPhone straightforward.
I will occasionally use my Surface Pro for connecting via VPN into our Banyan interface so I can see OR, PACU, and ICU vitals, as well as remote viewing of video from the ORs.

elephant
03-11-16, 21:52
No... Samsung won't stop making phones alone any time soon. The phones are a huge portion of their business. Overall Samsung produces 17% of South Koreas GDP. They're going to be around for some time.

Samsung also makes nuclear reactors, MRI, dialysis machines, surgical lasers, Offshore oil rigs, hospital beds, washers, dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, microwave, semiconductors, smart bombs, shoes, furniture, oil tankers, diesel engines, mining equipment. If fact, there one of my biggest customers by billing. Trust me. They are GETTING OUT OF THE CONSUMER ELECTRONICs BUSINESS!!! They have told many vendors so! They are building a ship yard in Mississippi and North Carolina along with a semiconductor plant in California.

I heard Google sold hardware to Lenovo but not all of the intellectual property- might not be true. but who cares

But it doesn't matter, the writing is on the wall for big changes in that world. The people we pay are the same people who give advice to governments and fortune 500 companies. There assessment are usually pretty spot on. 4 years ago when oil was $167/barrel they said oil would drop to around $30/barrel- we all laughed but turned out to be true. These are very smart people.

elephant
03-11-16, 22:24
Thanks for parsing through that before I woke up.

Yeah, elephant, pretty much every "fact" you've gotten from your sources is a flat out lie[/I].

This is what Microsoft told me over the phone, I was talking to there sales department. If they lied to me, it did nothing except get me to walk in the Apple store that night and walk out with a new Mac Book Pro. They said they were going to offer there products for a monthly fee through there cloud service. This way it is always automatically backed up, updated to current version and maintained. To me, its like Xbox live but across the whole spectrum of products. I figured if millions are willing to pay $7.99/month to play online then people are willing to pay to use Microsoft products. It is the same model Adobe is using right now. You pay monthly for the product, and then pay monthly for storage. Its a win-win for Silicon Valley. I don't blame them either. It will force there stocks to continue to rise. Remember, the people running these companies aren't the visionaries who started the companies from the ground up, they are now ran by CEO's who only job is to turn a huge profit for the stock holders.

All of the other information was obtained during a summit/conference. They don't focus on IT, but they do forecast certain market trends for businesses to keep an eye on. They know that IT is a large cost in small/medium size companies. These are the same people that told us that oil would drop to around $30/barrel and this was back in 2011, they also said city water could rise 100% by 2018 nationwide. These are the same people who counsel governments and fortune 500 companies. If they are wrong then they are wrong, but to what I said, it does seem like Microsoft, Google and Apple are setting themselves up to be the biggest players on a larger scale than just tablets, computers and phones. They are not investing billions of dollars on data centers across the Midwest to give you free storage. To me it seems like they want to eventually sell you hardware, then software, then storage and then charge for data. But then again I might be wrong.

It might all be rumors of coarse and I might have spoken on something I knew nothing about but it was discussed in a seminar and after talking to Microsoft, I kind of felt like what I had heard was going to come true.

Koshinn
03-11-16, 22:35
Samsung also makes nuclear reactors, MRI, dialysis machines, surgical lasers, Offshore oil rigs, hospital beds, washers, dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, microwave, semiconductors, smart bombs, shoes, furniture, oil tankers, diesel engines, mining equipment. If fact, there one of my biggest customers by billing. Trust me. They are GETTING OUT OF THE CONSUMER ELECTRONICs BUSINESS!!! They have told many vendors so! They are building a ship yard in Mississippi and North Carolina along with a semiconductor plant in California.

I heard Google sold hardware to Lenovo but not all of the intellectual property- might not be true. but who cares

But it doesn't matter, the writing is on the wall for big changes in that world. The people we pay are the same people who give advice to governments and fortune 500 companies. There assessment are usually pretty spot on. 4 years ago when oil was $167/barrel they said oil would drop to around $30/barrel- we all laughed but turned out to be true. These are very smart people.

If samsung is getting out of consumer electronics, you know something that no one in the world knows, and you should look into making some money off of that prediction.

Vandal
03-11-16, 23:01
I have been Mac exclusively since 2002. I have to use Windows at work and feel like beating my head against the wall half the time. This is typed on a MacBook Air, I've had 3 iPhones, a MacBook Pro and started with a G4 Power Book. Love em and the OS. They aren't cheap by any stretch and you can find Windows machines for a lot less but I have yet to have any issues.

I can do anything I need on an Apple and have processing power to spare.

cbx
03-11-16, 23:10

Hoo leee fuccckkk!!!

cbx
03-11-16, 23:13
If samsung is getting out of consumer electronics, you know something that no one in the world knows, and you should look into making some money off of that prediction.
Ask Martha Stewart how that maneuver worked our for her.

cbx
03-11-16, 23:16
It bears repeating:
Mac "antivirus" is akin to the Waltons with a single double barrel with a handful of shells living in the hills of rural Virginia.

PC Antivirus is like five guys in plate armor with battle rattle and Mk. 18s with ranger taped mags, chain-smoking and living in a house in downtown Detroit with bars on the windows.

Very solid mental imagery.

Defaultmp3
03-11-16, 23:21
4 years ago when oil was $167/barrel they said oil would drop to around $30/barrel- we all laughed but turned out to be true.The Brent hasn't broke 140 USD since the peak in 2008. WTI hasn't broke 120 USD since its peak in 2008. Even at their peaks, they did not break 150 USD, let alone reach 167 USD; both Brent and WTI peaked at about 145 USD.

Just sayin', is all, if you're going to be throwing around hard numbers.

cbx
03-12-16, 00:05
I hope Samsung doesn't quit building phones. That's gonna be a sad day if that happens.

Apple anything is great for people who think computers are black magic. I'll admit, something's are a bit stupid in the pc world. But pc doesn't scare me. Never has. I still remember running tree commands in grade school.

Intuitive blah blah blah........ I wished that tech in general didn't have to be so dumbed down so often.

Apples hardware prices are a bit silly too.

But like it was said earlier about Apple security, many celebs have had private photos thrown out there. Like ol' Jennifer.....instead of catching fire, there's photos of her catching, ummmm...... DNA? On her face? So much for all that cloud bullshit......

Not a cloud fan for photos. Talk about false sense of security.

I have a theory that the antivirus companies create the malware floating around. But that's another subject.

I just put in a new battery in this phone.....try that with an Apple anything......

Pick what you like, spice of life and all that. But, I like to run my computers how I like, any way I like, with a location storage of my choosing.

Dear 9lb baby Jesus, please let that that guy with Cessna jet and the super model girlfriend be totally wrong bout them Korean phones.....

Posted from a phone, that isn't apple, fueled by Miller lite and lagwagon.

elephant
03-12-16, 01:55
Dear 9lb baby Jesus, please let that that guy with Cessna jet and the super model girlfriend be totally wrong bout them Korean phones.....

Your right about the cloud being a false sense of security! And I don't get on any body's WiFi. Pictures go from my computer straight to my external hard drive. Apple might cost more, but from what I have read from everyone on this topic is that they last a long time and have very little trouble.
I don't have the Citation anymore- we sold it in December. Speaking of my gf, I got to meet Candice Swanepoel a couple weeks ago-its a bad photo but that's her and my girlfriend at a victorias secret party

Digital_Damage
03-12-16, 06:28

Samsung is not getting out of consumer electronics... all they did was reduce the number of models they make to stream line production. In 2013...

_Stormin_
03-12-16, 07:27

I laughed for a solid minute. Hell, I'm still chuckling about it after I posted it over on FB for a group of friends that work for MS and Apple...

_Stormin_
03-12-16, 07:40
THIS...

It's akin to being in my business and saying that JPMorgan is going to stop issuing mutual funds. After all, so much of their business isn't funds, why bother? Truthfully, if I took everything I have heard at work related conferences as gospel I would be dead broke and destitute right now. There is always going to be the naysayer in any industry and sometimes they even let that jackass be the keynote speaker.

BuzzinSATX
03-12-16, 08:00
FWIW, in the long run, they are both just magic boxes of circuit boards, wires, and silicon. They both pretty much do the basic stuff I need done like email, web browsing, word processing, spreadsheets, photo stuff, scanning, archiving, etc.

Ultimately for me, a computer USER (not power user) since the old Zenith 286 boxes with MS Works and Lotus 123, it was about buying and throwing away PC's every 3-4 years because my OS would be so jacked up with crap that I'd be spending weekends in 3 hour long conversations with someone who sounded like he just got hired from a 7-11. NO offense, but when your tech support barely speaks my language in a manner I can understand, that was the end for me with Dell, HP, and MS.

And since I was the computer savvy person in my house, when I sent my daughters off to college, I wanted them to have a computer I would NOT have to spend hours on the phone with them trying to figure out WTF was going on with their idiot box. For me, Mac's are like the Glocks of laptops. They aren't the greatest thing out there, but they are durable and once set up the way you want them, require very little PM to maintain.

Just my $0.02 you got for free from the inter webs. Honestly, I can't wait of the day when I finally unplug from 99% of the web and only use it for BS'ing on Netflix, gun forums and browsing firearm sites, and homedepot.com and Amazon.com LOL!

Hmac
03-12-16, 08:25
FWIW, in the long run, they are both just magic boxes of circuit boards, wires, and silicon. They both pretty much do the basic stuff I need done like email, web browsing, word processing, spreadsheets, photo stuff, scanning, archiving, etc.

Of course, by that token, all AR15s, in the long run, are just a collection of steel, polymer, and aluminum, and they all do the basic stuff like shooting a bullet out the front end which in turn strikes something downrange. So, really, a Bushmaster is pretty much the same as a BCM rifle.

PatrioticDisorder
03-12-16, 08:37
It bears repeating:

Good analogy but you need to also add, in Detroit there is many bad mofo's out to get the PC anti virus guys & in the rural hills of West Virginia not too many bad guys... Hence the advantage to the Mac, IMO.

.46caliber
03-12-16, 08:38
Lol. Loads of misinformation in this thread.

FWIW, I still have a Windows Vista machine in deployment at work, about 10 years old. It all depends on how you treat them. We keep tight reigns on them and that helps keep them running.

_Stormin_
03-12-16, 16:44
Of course, by that token, all AR15s, in the long run, are just a collection of steel, polymer, and aluminum, and they all do the basic stuff like shooting a bullet out the front end which in turn strikes something downrange. So, really, a Bushmaster is pretty much the same as a BCM rifle.
You're kind of ignoring/missing the part later in the post where he compares Macs to Glocks and states that they may not be the absolute best, but once they're set up they pretty much keep going. He acknowledges reliability and quality.

And if we are going to boil it down to the most very basic of observations, a Bushmaster is PRETTY MUCH the same as a BCM (0 Bushmasters in my house, 3 BCM's, just to put all my cards on the table). Steel, aluminum, polymer, and the like... The devil is in the details and that's where things evolve. The BCM will keep going at points where the Bushmaster will most likely fail simply due to the quality of the components, but you also have to consider the level of need from the end user... The best phrase I've ever heard to describe Bushmaster's quality came from someone on this board: They are popular, and the people that buy them often say that they accomplish everything they need them to do.
(That said, given the current pricing of a Colt 6920, only a fool is buying a Bushmaster.)

To get back to computers, my grandmother checks her email and plays scrabble online with my aunts and mother. Her Best Buy special PC is the Bushmaster of computers, and in her eyes does the exact same things as my MacBook Pro that cost five times what she paid. For her uses, she's not wrong. In fact, she's got a way larger display than my 15" monitor. :-) For her price doesn't need to be a concern, but she can't see the VALUE in paying five times more for "the same thing."

eodinert
03-12-16, 18:06
I got talked into a macbook pro by some friends recently. The hardware is great, but I hate the software. I even gave it some time to learn it, and get used to it. Still hate it. Went back to the people who recommended it, and asked: What do you actually use your macbook for? Answer: Mostly watching movies, and internet. And Itunes. For work, all of them use Windows boxes. I asked several experienced mac users how to copy pictures from my hard drive to an external drive... Neither could do it. Cloud backup is easy, but I'm in Africa, and Africa is fresh out of cloud...

I hate the file management on the apple, mostly. What I like about the apple is the hardware... they nailed the hardware. FWIW, I have had the software hangup, and programs that don't work properly. As far as I'm concerned, the 'everything just works' mantra is BS.

I learned something about my computer buying habits. I used to buy $500-$800 dollar laptops, and I'd get a few years out of them. If I had spent the same money on a windows box as I did on this Mac book, this story would probably have a different ending.

I partitioned my drive, installed Windows 10, and now I'm happy. The only downside to running windows on a mac book, is you loose all the cool touchpad swipey features, but I hear there is a software fix for that.

I'm working overseas, and didn't want to drag two computers around. Now, I have the small hardware profile of the Macbook, and the utility of a windows box. It's actually a pretty sweet setup.

Firefly
03-12-16, 18:39
Realistically 99% of people could get by on a just a tablet. The iPad actually is the one thing apple got right. Get one with enough memory and you can save movies, etc on it, facebook(if yer into that sort of thing), surf, listen to music. And hook it up to a computer. Android tabs do okay but even I want an iPad.

I use my ancient PC laptop for when I had reports, PowerPoint, etc. Anything gamewise above Pong wouldn't fare well.

If you're gonna game I'd sooner have a good PC desktop(which I don't have).

IIRC iPads should use USB too. I think they do....

Back inna day I would cram a buncha dvds and cds in a box on any kind of trip but now with thumb drives there's no need.

I'd sooner lay my fat ass down and rest a tablet in my chest and watch movies, listen to tunes, surf than sit up with a laptop. That's just me though. Plus it can fit in a claymore sized (mebbe smaller) jump bag.

In my, albeit biased, opinion Apple sells Apple...not really a computer. It's like a religion. Then you realize....hey man...I joined a religion. A different one. And I don't feel any better nor is life easier.

But then again I miss my Commodore 64 so there ya go....

BuzzinSATX
03-12-16, 19:29

Yes, that is a true statement. In form and function, a Bushmaster is pretty much the same as any other AR.

But you seem to miss my point...I bought a Mac for my kid because I believed (and still do) that it was inherently more reliable and required less maintenance than a PC, because I am not someone who enjoys trying to make them run well. I just want them to work.

So in the long run, I do prefer the more maintenance free, reliable, and durable options...which is why I have BCM and DD AR's, and not Bushys...

elephant
03-12-16, 20:06
I have had the Mac Book Pro for 2 days now and I can say that I will most likely be a Mac user for a long time. I got the MacBook Pro 13" on Thursday and got my girlfriend the MacBook Pro 15 today. Mac makes hardware and software, where as, when you buy a PC, your buying a computer from one company and you have to buy software from another. My Mac has similar products to MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint already installed, and it is compatible with MS. The MacBook came with iTunes installed as well as quicktime media player. Once I got the mac, I didn't have to keep spending on other stuff as I had been doing for years. I got there 3 years accidental replacement plan and got a free Airport which is really nice because I can set up a guest wifi network. You can probably do that on any wireless router but it was basically plug in and follow 5 steps. I don't think Apple software is the greatest but at least it comes with the computer. I didn't have to buy a bunch of software, download it and register or sign up for anything. Most of he PC's I have bought in the past usually has 3 months to a year subscription on software and then you have to pay for it. Another thing, I live within 3 miles of 3 Apple stores and they offer a free class to anyone who purchases there product. They sit down with you and teach you how to not only use you device but how to use each program, edit photos, videos, create folders, and other stuff. They also usually fix small issues for free while you wait, whereas if you have a PC, you have to take it to a geek squad or equivalent and pay them and it could take a couple days. I'm pretty happy, I'm not an expert or experienced but for what I use a computer for, they are perfect for me.

cbx
03-12-16, 23:59
Your right about the cloud being a false sense of security! And I don't get on any body's WiFi. Pictures go from my computer straight to my external hard drive. Apple might cost more, but from what I have read from everyone on this topic is that they last a long time and have very little trouble.
I don't have the Citation anymore- we sold it in December. Speaking of my gf, I got to meet Candice Swanepoel a couple weeks ago-its a bad photo but that's her and my girlfriend at a victorias secret party
I just ran all of the scenarios through my head, I can't come up with any positives to selling the bird......

Why would you do such a thing? Can't you just lay off a few employees or something to pay for the annual? No ones gonna take you serious flying a effing trash can like a 210 or a bonanza? Especially the supermodels.

The solution had to be a better jet. Something like..... A falcon 50...

On a more serious note, I can only imagine what it's like in your business right now. All the people I know in the energy biz have had their world dumped on it's lid.

elephant
03-13-16, 00:32
I just ran all of the scenarios through my head, I can't come up with any positives to selling the bird......

Why would you do such a thing? Can't you just lay off a few employees or something to pay for the annual? No ones gonna take you serious flying a effing trash can like a 210 or a bonanza? Especially the supermodels.

The solution had to be a better jet. Something like..... A falcon 50...

On a more serious note, I can only imagine what it's like in your business right now. All the people I know in the energy biz have had their world dumped on it's lid.

I sold my plane to an executive at Dr. Pepper. It was nice while it lasted, been thinking about getting a King Air 90 or 200, they are a lot cheaper to fly. But that will have to be later when the economy comes back. I can honestly say that I have not let go any employee! We have cut there hours back to 40/week. Its tought out there. We had 8 orders cancled last month. These were big 8-12 month jobs. A lot of my competition has gone under, I went to Houston last week to buy some equipment from a competitor of mine. Its sad when you can buy 4 Haas CNC's, 1 Mori Seiki VTL, 50' honing machine and a few other stuff for less that $100k. But this is what the oil field world looks like. However, I also service the steel mill which sucks and the mining industry which sucks.

cbx
03-13-16, 16:31
I sold my plane to an executive at Dr. Pepper. It was nice while it lasted, been thinking about getting a King Air 90 or 200, they are a lot cheaper to fly. But that will have to be later when the economy comes back. I can honestly say that I have not let go any employee! We have cut there hours back to 40/week. Its tought out there. We had 8 orders cancled last month. These were big 8-12 month jobs. A lot of my competition has gone under, I went to Houston last week to buy some equipment from a competitor of mine. Its sad when you can buy 4 Haas CNC's, 1 Mori Seiki VTL, 50' honing machine and a few other stuff for less that $100k. But this is what the oil field world looks like. However, I also service the steel mill which sucks and the mining industry which sucks.
Your not the only one. My business is in shambles. I quit while I still could.

graffex
03-14-16, 00:01
Mac's are for liberals. Homebuilt PC's all the way :)

Koshinn
06-27-16, 17:21

Sorry about the minor thread resurrection... but something ironic I just realized.

On the very day you posted that, Samsung released the newest version of their flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S7. Samsung sold 100,000 in the first two days and is projecting total sales of around 25 million Galaxy S7 phones before they release its replacement next year. Last year Samsung made $2 billion in profits off of smartphones alone.

Firefly
06-27-16, 19:12
That's nice.

I'm sick of android. No, really.

elephant
06-27-16, 19:25
Sorry about the minor thread resurrection... but something ironic I just realized.

On the very day you posted that, Samsung released the newest version of their flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S7. Samsung sold 100,000 in the first two days and is projecting total sales of around 25 million Galaxy S7 phones before they release its replacement next year. Last year Samsung made $2 billion in profits off of smartphones alone.

$2 billion on smart phones for a company who builds offshore oil rigs, container ships, MRI's, centrifuges, radar, and currently the #4 largest clothes and shoes manufacture in the world is not a big deal. Apple sold 74.5 million iphones in 90 days, 221 Million in 12 months. My comment came from a perspective that Toshiba, LG and Sony are getting out of the computer business all together- almost at the same time.

Koshinn
06-27-16, 19:32
$2 billion on smart phones for a company who builds offshore oil rigs, container ships, MRI's, centrifuges, radar, and currently the #4 largest clothes and shoes manufacture in the world is not a big deal. Apple sold 74.5 million iphones in 90 days, 221 Million in 12 months. My comment came from a perspective that Toshiba, LG and Sony are getting out of the computer business all together- almost at the same time.

I was mistaken, it was $2 billion in smartphone profits in Q3, not in 2015, with a total of $6.4 billion profit in Q3.

So roughly 1/3 of their profit was in smartphones in Q3 2015, which obviously doesn't include the rest of their consumer electronics.

The 100,000 Galaxy S7 phones is just that, a single model (well 2 if you include the Edge) of phones sold in two days. Samsung sells a lot of phone models. But yes, Apple is the most profitable smartphone company and sells more phones than any other company, although a majority of smartphone users are on android rather than ios.

I mean, you also did write this, so it wasn't just from the perspective that Toshiba, LG, and Sony were getting out of computers:

If fact, there one of my biggest customers by billing. Trust me. They are GETTING OUT OF THE CONSUMER ELECTRONICs BUSINESS!!! They have told many vendors so!

Firefly
06-27-16, 19:43
I know it isn't computer specific but I am sick of android, google, and everything else.

At least for mobiles, would iOS be an upgrade?

HKGuns
06-27-16, 19:46
I know it isn't computer specific but I am sick of android, google, and everything else.

Yep. Pretty huge upgrade and you're not tied with the Google privacy invading jackoffs. (Apple is not perfect either)

This is still pretty much the case in 2016.

97 Percent of Malware on Android (http://fortune.com/2013/04/14/android-gets-97-of-malware-apple-ios-58-of-enterprise/)

Ryno12
06-27-16, 20:00

I was hardcore Android & anti Apple for years. One thing that always sickened me though about Androids was that I couldn't keep them from turning into a glitchy POS before the contract was up. In addition to that, I couldn't stand the gargantuan size phones that my carrier was selling.
One day I decided to bite the bullet & get an iPhone. Besides quitting smoking & getting Lasik surgery, getting an iPhone was one of the best things I've done for myself. Rock solid OS and rarely, if ever, a glitch. My only complaints are the lack of text reflow when zooming on webpages & not having a period on main keyboard.

I don't ever see myself going back to Android, especially now after the BS shady search shenanigans that Google is pulling for Hillary.

elephant
06-27-16, 20:27
The main reason for me stating that Samsung will stop making consumer phones all together is from a huge number of analyst that make these claims based on the following:

1. Google is inevitably going to start making there own hardware. Google purchased NEST, Appurify, DeepMind Technologies among 192 acquisitions that would put them in a position for total integration centered around there product. Not all the acquisitions were software or IT related, some were hardware like Nest which makes home automation products, Deep mind which make user AI products, Quest Visual which is a real-estate platform, Motorola mobility which is now manufacturing blue tooth head sets under Google as well as watch and mobile phones branded as Google. Google is currently developing a eco system for all there products which include private clouds similar to time capsule as well as home to office file sharing.

2. Much like Google, Apple is already integrated with technology like Google. Apple has partnered with Canon to build printers compatible with apple products only as well as purchased several IT and cloud related firms as well as semiconductor companies, analytics, streaming services, traffic apps, and several others. Apple has there own file sharing and private cloud based hardware. Apple already provides video streaming with Apple TV as well as music streaming, keyless home entry products, home automation products.

3. Microsoft is trying real hard to keep up with both Google and Apple as far as mobile products and accessibility. Ultimately Microsoft will have very similar products as both Google and Apple. Microsoft has invested billions in apps in the last few years.

Microsoft, Google and Apple already have very similar products across the board. They each have there own operating system, search engine, payment apps, document software, illustration software so basically, whatever google has, apple has its own version, whatever Microsoft has, apple has there own version and vice versa. All of there products are different yet do basically the same thing with minor differences- its all based on user preference. Some are free and some you have to pay separate. All of these companies have invested billions in photo sharing, file sharing, music and tv streaming services, map services, social media, storage, cloud based systems, editing, design software, mobile software, mobile apps and so much more.

There is a lot of speculation of whether who will most likely buy out Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo in the next few years because Apple, Google and Microsoft have put them in a position to own the market. A lot of tech analyst have suggested there will be a day where you will choose between the 3 for all of your needs, computer/laptop, tablet, phone, storage etc. This is what the aviation industry and auto industry has done in the last 100 years, buy everyone out until there is only a few choices. Samsung, LG, Toshiba only make hardware and there is apparently no money in hardware however Google gives HTC, LG and Samsung Android basically for free but now that Android makes up 22% of the mobile market, Google has suggested getting into the hardware business under there own name.

HKGuns
06-27-16, 22:09
Dell is privately held and given Michael Dell's acquisition spree, I doubt he is interested in selling.

MichaelVain
06-28-16, 06:00
Samsung's mobile profits have dropped precipitously. Most of their sales are from their low-end smartphones, not their flagship. They are getting hammered by the Chinese low-end smartphone makers as well.

Samsung also doesn't report how many are actually sold, they report how many they shipped. Shipped and Sold are not the same. Apple always reports what is Sold.

With Google now announcing they are getting into the smartphone hardware biz, Samsung will be squeezed even more.

Firefly
06-28-16, 14:44
Thanks for the heads ups.

I'm getting Apple next time. Android and Google can rot in hell. Desktop PCs, preferably with Linux, are great but everyone else can just stick it