PDA

View Full Version : I need a trigger!

sprice
03-10-16, 19:40
What's the most reliable/durable trigger with a single stage (or comparable) 4-4.5lb pull?

Right now I like the idea of the Hiperfire EDT, the Wilson TTU series, and I've also come across Velocity triggers. I would also entertain the idea of a Geissele S3G. Which is the most reliable/durable trigger out of these?

I just need a general use trigger, but the reliability factor is #1 for me and a close #2 is performance.

GH41
03-10-16, 19:45
I'll have my TTU tomorrow and let you know what I think about it.

MajorLonghorn
03-10-16, 20:14
POF actually makes a pretty nice single stage trigger.

zackmars
03-10-16, 20:28
Geissele doesn't make a single stage.

I would look at wilson ttu

Str8shooter
03-10-16, 20:37
Timney hands down for what you are asking. Drop in self contained unit.

TexasAggie2005
03-10-16, 20:42
Geissele doesn't make a single stage.

I would look at wilson ttu
Geissele SD-3G is a 4lbs single stage.

stwings
03-10-16, 20:47
What's the intended application? Match gun, HD, duty?

firefighter37
03-10-16, 21:25
Wilson TTU is the best single stage trigger I have ever felt in an AR, two stage goes to Geissele SSA or Knights 2 Stage

Phylodog
03-10-16, 21:44
I've got two Chip McCormick triggers, been very pleased with them.

zackmars
03-10-16, 23:07
Geissele SD-3G is a 4lbs single stage.

No, its a 2 stage, its just the 1st stage is almost unnoticeable.

Brahmzy
03-10-16, 23:43
Wilson TTU.

quackhead
03-10-16, 23:48
No, its a 2 stage, its just the 1st stage is almost unnoticeable.

According to Geisslle and written in the product description on their site, it's a single stage trigger

zackmars
03-11-16, 00:32
According to Geisslle and written in the product description on their site, it's a single stage trigger

They say it "feels like a single stage"

They also call it a hybrid

Look at it, and tell me if that looks like a single stage

http://cdn3.volusion.com/yvorz.yfkmp/v/vspfiles/photos/SD-3G-2.jpg

quackhead
03-11-16, 00:44
[QUOTE=zackmars;2283627]They say it "feels like a single stage"

http://cdn3.volusion.com/yvorz.yfkmp/v/vspfiles/photos/SD-3G-2.jpg[/QUOTE

It clearly states single stage in description 3825738257

bp7178
03-11-16, 01:15
I just ordered the Paul Howe Wilson Combat TTU that is 4.5-5lbs. I'm looking to bring my rifle in line with the new NRA comp specs.

I had a Geissele SDC-C, and it was good...not to mention a SSA and SSA-E, but I was wanting to get out of the two-stage thing. The Hiperfire was nice, but adds parts and complexity. If you want a 4.5lb pull, you have to settle for reduced hammer energy, which I don't want.

The Geissele 3G trigger feels like a single stage...and the manufacturer classifies it as a single stage, so what is the drama about? Just a smooth pull, but IIRC it was 3.5 lbs. It had a very nice pull, and if the weight was in the 4.5-5lb range I would buy another. Just a smooth pull then a sudden drop. No feeling of stacking etc.

t1tan
03-11-16, 02:07
I just ordered the Paul Howe Wilson Combat TTU that is 4.5-5lbs. I'm looking to bring my rifle in line with the new NRA comp specs.

I had a Geissele SDC-C, and it was good...not to mention a SSA and SSA-E, but I was wanting to get out of the two-stage thing. The Hiperfire was nice, but adds parts and complexity. If you want a 4.5lb pull, you have to settle for reduced hammer energy, which I don't want.

The Geissele 3G trigger feels like a single stage...and the manufacturer classifies it as a single stage, so what is the drama about? Just a smooth pull, but IIRC it was 3.5 lbs. It had a very nice pull, and if the weight was in the 4.5-5lb range I would buy another. Just a smooth pull then a sudden drop. No feeling of stacking etc.

They come with 2 springs now, Geissele lists them as 3.25 and 4lb.

TomMcC
03-11-16, 02:21
If you're looking for something way less than $250 you might take a look at the Hiperfire EDT series of triggers.

Tape
03-11-16, 02:44
I use a 3lb Timney, all the major manufacturers are all quality and more of a preference than "this ones better than that one" my preference is the single stage.

Mars attacks...
03-11-16, 02:53
POF actually makes a pretty nice single stage trigger.

I agree. Using one in my GP rifle now.

zackmars
03-11-16, 03:03

Because it feels a lot closer to a single stage than a 2 stage

I've used several S3G's (not the SD-3G) and aside from differences in pull weight, etc, they function similarly to their other 2 stages, hence the "hybrid" nomenclature.

Anyway, i digress.

Rayrevolver
03-11-16, 08:50
The real question though, are you guys advocating the use of the "3G" for a general purpose rifle? I bet the answer is no.

I assume the one I shot was with the light spring (SD-3G on a full JP 3-Gun rifle) and in 10 rounds it doubled on me once. Call it user error but that never happens with an SD-C or any milspec trigger I shoot.

Sounds like the TTU or Howe TTU would be a nice setup. Let us know!

Kenneth
03-11-16, 08:57
I have the SD-3G and I would not recommend it for an every day rifle. I have an old one before they came with two springs and mine doubles a lot. I can almost mag dump from my shoulder. It has really surprised me the first time I shot it. I want to try the SSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uprange41
03-11-16, 10:38
The real question though, are you guys advocating the use of the "3G" for a general purpose rifle? I bet the answer is no.

I assume the one I shot was with the light spring (SD-3G on a full JP 3-Gun rifle) and in 10 rounds it doubled on me once. Call it user error but that never happens with an SD-C or any milspec trigger I shoot.

Sounds like the TTU or Howe TTU would be a nice setup. Let us know!

Doubling with an SD3G is likely because you're squeezing the trigger like a two-stage.

I've had no issues in the time I had with an SD3G (borrowed lower, ~400 rounds), or an ALG AKT, which is very similar, though lighter, as my go-to AK trigger for the last 1500 rounds. If one has a rifle setup that can take advantage of that speed, I see no problem at all training around a 3G for a general use rifle.

Biggy
03-11-16, 10:53
The Paul Howe Wilson Combat TTU that is 4.5-5lbs is my favorite trigger for my RDS carbine and my 1-6x scoped Recce type rifle, bar none, and I have tried just about all of them.

bp7178
03-11-16, 11:34
They come with 2 springs now, Geissele lists them as 3.25 and 4lb.

Still under what the NRA rules call for.

docsherm
03-11-16, 11:52
What's the most reliable/durable trigger with a single stage (or comparable) 4-4.5lb pull?

Maybe a Geissele or hiperfire?

I only use single stage triggers. All of mine are Timney and CMC. 1000's of rounds with them and no issues at all.

dbain99
03-11-16, 12:16
I've had a CMC 3.5lb flat blade single stage on one rifle for about 3 years and love every pull.
I just got a DD V11 and the factory trigger reminds me how much I love the CMC.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

seedubs1
03-11-16, 12:57
CMC for my single stages as well. VERY nice, especially when you can get them for $130ish. They're every bit as nice as any of the other high end single stages. Absolutely love mine.

As was stated up thread, all of the major players make good reliable triggers. You won't go wrong with CMC, Geissele, Wilson, Timney, AR Gold, Larue, Hiperfire, etc... It'll come down to how you like the feel and price of each of those.

carolvs
03-11-16, 13:16
Wilson TTU. Accept no substitutes.

b2dap1
03-11-16, 14:22
I have the TTU Mil-Spec. Love it...cant say enough about it!! Its got about 2500 rounds on it and Ive run it in a weekend long class. By the way... I think the Paul Howe TTU is a 2 stage?

ColtSeavers
03-11-16, 15:01
ALG ACTs are all I have in my ARs.

bp7178
03-11-16, 15:32
I have the TTU Mil-Spec. Love it...cant say enough about it!! Its got about 2500 rounds on it and Ive run it in a weekend long class. By the way... I think the Paul Howe TTU is a 2 stage?

It is. Thanks, I missed that in the product description. Shit.

Just ordered a TTU Mil-Spec, thanks for the heads up.

t1tan
03-11-16, 19:38
Still under what the NRA rules call for.

Not a concern personally. I'll run whatever I'm comfortable with as I'm sure others will do the same.

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-11-16, 19:51
The SD3G is like a spongey single stage, slight take up. The Timney triggers are really nice, I had one before the geissele and put the timney in a lower for my dad.

bp7178
03-12-16, 01:16
Not a concern personally. I'll run whatever I'm comfortable with as I'm sure others will do the same.

Yeah, if you don't plan on competing why would it be a concern? :blink:

hals1
03-12-16, 11:15
From the Geissele dexcription:
Super Dynamic Enhanced (SD-E) Trigger
Full Description

The Geissele Super Dynamic-Enhanced (SD-E) Trigger featuring an exclusive flat trigger bow, is a finely-tuned two stage trigger providing enhanced trigger control and weapon accuracy while maintaining the robustness and reliability of our combat-proven two-stage trigger.

OrbitalE
03-12-16, 11:18
SD-E and SD-3G are to different triggers that share the same flat trigger bow...not sure what your point is.

SD-E: 2 stage, flat bow. SD-3G: mushy single stage, flat bow.

quackhead
03-12-16, 11:58
I have thousands of rounds through the SD3G and it is a single stage in my book. I probably have double to triple that amount through an SSA and it is a distinctive 2 stage. I was never a fan of 2 stage triggers until I used the Geisselle triggers

bp7178
03-12-16, 14:59
Well, I got my Paul Howe TTU trigger today and it is indeed a two stage. But, it couldn't be farther from a Geissele two stage. The first stage is extremely short and very light. Every Geissele trigger I've owned, SSA, SSA-E, and a SD-C all had a longer and heavier first stage. With the PH TTU it almost seem as pressing the pad of your finger onto the trigger is enough to pull through the first stage.

olympicmotors
03-12-16, 21:02
Here is a video by Geisselle himself that totally explains all of his triggers. He states himself about 2/3 of the way through the video that some people mistakenly call the SG3 a single stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc

Exactly 20 minutes into the video is where he explains the super 3 gun trigger.

Hopes this helps to clarify and alleviate any confusion.

t1tan
03-12-16, 22:05
Here is a video by Geisselle himself that totally explains all of his triggers. He states himself about 2/3 of the way through the video that some people mistakenly call the SG3 a single stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc

Exactly 20 minutes into the video is where he explains the super 3 gun trigger.

Hopes this helps to clarify and alleviate any confusion.

From what I've read of their new SSP Super Speed Precision trigger, it's the first of theirs they consider to be a single stage trigger, further supporting the S3G/SD3G not being a "single".

Not that it really matters, I'm waiting for the SSP to compare to the SD3G before I buy either for myself, single, hybrid or whatever.

bp7178
03-13-16, 03:47
All the bullshit aside, when you press the trigger on a SG3 there is no detectable wall. It pulls straight through until discharge. It gives the perception of a single stage. If its technically a two-stage so f'n what. Way too many posts in this thread have been wasted on it.

Mikill Drengr
03-13-16, 10:16
I have been shooting a Geissle super 3G on a borrowed lower and liked it. But I tried a Hiperfire and loved it so that's what I bought for my BCM which I use in 3 gun.

Caeser25
03-13-16, 12:45
All the bullshit aside, when you press the trigger on a SG3 there is no detectable wall. It pulls straight through until discharge. It gives the perception of a single stage. If its technically a two-stage so f'n what. Way too many posts in this thread have been wasted on it.

Agreed. There's no wall. It makes zero sense as to why Bill calls it a two stage. Every other two stage you can take up slack and hit the wall or back off. On this when you pull the trigger, it breaks, that's it.

Livefreeordie92
03-13-16, 17:20
Wilson TTU is the best single stage hands down. I have nearly 6000 rounds on mine with a variety of different kinds of ammo, I've had probably less than ten light primer strikes. I trust it to the point of having it in my go to rifle.

TomMcC
03-13-16, 21:22
The OP asked a simple question about a 4-4.5 lb decent trigger. Man, talk about thread drift. LOL

sprice
03-15-16, 15:55
Hahaha I come back in a week and this is what's happened?!

I'm just looking for something reliable,

Right now I like the idea of the Hiperfire EDT, the Wilson TTU, and I've also come across Velocity triggers. Which is the most reliable/durable trigger out of these?

I just need a general use trigger, but the reliability factor is #1 for me and #2 is performance.

TomMcC
03-15-16, 16:10

Right now I like the idea of the Hiperfire EDT, the Wilson TTU, and I've also come across Velocity triggers. Which is the most reliable/durable trigger out of these?

I just need a general use trigger, but the reliability factor is #1 for me and #2 is performance.

EDT is a simple trigger, in the way a stock trigger is simple, all that I've read about them indicates that they are quite reliable. The Wilson is without a doubt a good trigger, but a lot more money. If you just want something a bit better than a mil-spec get the EDT, it seems to fit your criterion to a T.

GH41
03-15-16, 16:31

Some of the triggers you mention are held in with setscrews (a liability). Another has way too many extra parts (another liability). If you don't want a gourmet trigger save some $$$ and get an ACT. You would probably get better answers if you told us exactly WTF you want to do with this rifle/trigger combination.

bp7178
03-17-16, 00:56
I just installed my Wilson Combat TTU MIL trigger. I'm very impressed. Just an approx 5lbs press and it breaks super clean. Very distinct reset. Exactly what I was looking for.

I like it better than the Paul Howe version because there no stacking, or first stage. The MIL doesn't have any movement prior to break. As soon as you get the right pressure it just goes. Full hammer strength too. I once felt a Timmeny (sp?) trigger that just felt anemic. The TTU Mil seems like it has the same hammer strength as your typical GI trigger.

b2dap1
03-17-16, 05:52
I just installed my Wilson Combat TTU MIL trigger. I'm very impressed. Just an approx 5lbs press and it breaks super clean. Very distinct reset. Exactly what I was looking for.

I like it better than the Paul Howe version because there no stacking, or first stage. The MIL doesn't have any movement prior to break. As soon as you get the right pressure it just goes. Full hammer strength too. I once felt a Timmeny (sp?) trigger that just felt anemic. The TTU Mil seems like it has the same hammer strength as your typical GI trigger.

The TTU MIL is the best option IMO. Its such a fast single stage but not light as a feather. That 4.5-5 lb break is perfect.