PDA

View Full Version : upgrading the bushmaster

lonewolf21
08-19-08, 13:41
yeah yeah, i know. i bought the thing before i ever knew this site existed. its primary function is for patrol use, that is if my dept. ever allows it (yeah i know, thats a whole other post). i just wanted to know, since i cant get rid of the thing cause ive got way to much $ invested in it. i was thinking about investing in a LMT bolt carrier group. would this be a good option. what else can i do to make my blaster top notch.

markm
08-19-08, 14:00
Bushmaster isn't all that bad of a gun. They have a few areas of corner cutting, but nothing like buying an Olympic Arms. I've had great luck with their barrels.

I'd get a BCM M-16 bolt group, and make sure the castle nut is staked if it is so equiped.

Ron S.
08-19-08, 14:03
Is it full auto?

If not, everything is probably fine as is. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a Bushmaster. They're a great gun. I'm on my 3rd, and I love 'em. If you need the gas key staked better (mine was already great), then that's one thing "wrong". Some need their castle nut staked to keep their stock from falling off after 20k rounds of full auto fire. :eek: :-p If you're using it as a patrol rifle, might better check those things. For your normal fella, though, very often unnecessary.

Enjoy your rifle...it goes bang very well, just like the kool-aid stained Noveske's.

C4IGrant
08-19-08, 14:23
The cheapest thing to do is to stake your gas key, upgrade the extractor insert and spring, add an H buffer and stake the castle nut.

If it were my BM, I would put a new BCG in it, and ream the chamber to make sure that it isn't some strange .223 chamber.

C4

markm
08-19-08, 14:45
Some need their castle nut staked to keep their stock from falling off after 20k rounds of full auto fire. :eek: :-p If you're using it as a patrol rifle, might better check those things. For your normal fella, though, very often unnecessary.

I've seen castle nuts come loose in very low count semi auto fire.

Ron S.
08-19-08, 14:53
It'd be an awful thing to happen in the middle of a warrant, that's for sure.

markm
08-19-08, 14:54
Some castle nuts may stay tight for years, but it's such a simple do it yourself fix that there's no reason not to.

Joe_Friday
08-19-08, 16:04
Although it is not a patrol rifle, I also bought a BM M4gery but I had nothing but problems with mine. Then I found this site and followed the wisdom of Grant and Rob_S (staked the carrier key, replaced the buffer with an H2, and added the BCM Extractor Upgrade kit) and my rifle functions fine now. Still does not like Wolf but will work fine with everything else I have fed it. Try Grants suggestion and it should be fine, maybe not great but fine.
With that said I still plan on purchasing an LMT upper before the end of the year. :D

lonewolf21
08-19-08, 17:01
whats the difference in buffers. cant say i know much about that. what do yall think about the enidine hydraulic buffer. worth $70. im definately going to go with an extractor upgrade. probably a new bolt carrier group. why not.

C4IGrant
08-19-08, 17:13
whats the difference in buffers. cant say i know much about that. what do yall think about the enidine hydraulic buffer. worth $70. im definately going to go with an extractor upgrade. probably a new bolt carrier group. why not.

Weight is the difference in buffers. With the BM being over gassed, it is a good idea to run an H or or H2.

The enidine is a bad idea.

C4

lonewolf21
08-19-08, 17:45
who all makes those buffers, im guessing that you sell them. thanks for the input.

Damascus
08-19-08, 18:05
Check out these 2 threads to learn about buffers. Basically, the H buffers are heavier than a carbine buffer, and the H2 buffers are even heavier than that, using tungsten weights rather than steel, if I remember right.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5136&highlight=buffer
http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/
I'd feel fine with a Bushmaster. Granted, it's not the best AR out there, but it's by FAR not the worst either. I have a XM15 A3 20" Hbar Bushy that I added a Magpul PRS stock to, and a Badger Ordnance stabilizer handguard, this was my very first AR-15, it's now about 9 years old, and has over 10K rounds fired through it. It's still sub-MOA accurate (avg. .78 MOA on match ammo), and hasn't failed me yet. I gave it to my wife to learn on, she loves it!

topraider
08-19-08, 19:40
Weight is the difference in buffers. With the BM being over gassed, it is a good idea to run an H or or H2.

The enidine is a bad idea.

C4

C4
Why do you say that the enidine is a bad idea?
Just about a week ago there was a pro enidine thread that ran on the other site. It was all positive. I used to run an enidine on my LMT and even thou it ran perfect, I never felt confortable with it. I dint't like the tiny extra effort to insure the bolt stayed locked to the rear when doing it on manual. I replaced it with the "H" that I got from you and now I can sleep better. Just wondering why you came out so stongly againts it. Thanks.

C4IGrant
08-20-08, 08:41
who all makes those buffers, im guessing that you sell them. thanks for the input.

We sell them here: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=L7CB2F

C4

C4IGrant
08-20-08, 08:44
C4
Why do you say that the enidine is a bad idea?
Just about a week ago there was a pro enidine thread that ran on the other site. It was all positive. I used to run an enidine on my LMT and even thou it ran perfect, I never felt confortable with it. I dint't like the tiny extra effort to insure the bolt stayed locked to the rear when doing it on manual. I replaced it with the "H" that I got from you and now I can sleep better. Just wondering why you came out so stongly againts it. Thanks.

We have seen many weapons failures caused by the Enidine. Once the Enidine is removed, the weapons run well.

C4

M4arc
08-20-08, 08:51
lonewolf21 - Have you had any problems with your Bushmaster yet? If not don't go overboard trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Like Demigod stated I would upgrade the bolt to either a BCM or one of the FN contract bolts that C4iGrant offers. Keep your OEM bolt as an emergency spare. I would also either send your carrier to C4iGrant for proper staking or buy a complete BCG from him. Either way.

The H buffer isn't a bad idea but not 100% necessary either.

Get a good two point Vickers sling and some quality magazines and practice, practice, practice. You'll get more out of that than worrying about what is stamped on the side ;)