PDA

View Full Version : new to the black rifle HELP PLEASE!!!!

marionpd
08-19-08, 15:49
sorry this question has probably been asked before but i have a delima. I am tore between a DPMS LR308 OR THE LR 308B. It is going to be used for hunting mostly, also as a secondary sharp shooter's rifle. I have bolt guns but i want a very acurate semi auto rifle and i have no ar15s. this will be my first black rifle so i want to make a good choice, if any other black rifles can stand the riggers of that enviroment. PLEASE let me know so i can make the right decision. thanks for any input

A_shizzle
08-19-08, 18:30
I hear the LR308 AP4 is pretty good. It was NRA rifle of the year or somethin awhile back. But ive had no hand on experience with any of them.

theJanitor
08-19-08, 18:36
sorry this question has probably been asked before but i have a delima. I am tore between a DPMS LR308 OR THE LR 308B. It is going to be used for hunting mostly, also as a secondary sharp shooter's rifle. I have bolt guns but i want a very acurate semi auto rifle and i have no ar15s. this will be my first black rifle so i want to make a good choice, if any other black rifles can stand the riggers of that enviroment. PLEASE let me know so i can make the right decision. thanks for any input

what kind of hunting? also, the DPMS's that you're referring to are more often compared to AR10's not AR15's

Safetyhit
08-19-08, 23:11
Either should be fine for hunting purposes. Your level of scrutiny should increase if you are considering high volumes of fire, but it sounds like you won't be dealing with that.

Take note as to whether the rifle is chambered for .223 or 5.56/.223. Try to go with a 5.56 chamber if at all possible in case you end up running them by necessity or sheer desire. :)

rmecapn
08-20-08, 10:22
Take note as to whether the rifle is chambered for .223 or 5.56/.223. Try to go with a 5.56 chamber if at all possible in case you end up running them by necessity or sheer desire. :)

Dude! He's talking a 7.62NATO/.308 chambering (hence the LR308). ;)

Safetyhit
08-20-08, 11:05
Dude! He's talking a 7.62NATO/.308 chambering (hence the LR308). ;)

Yes, he is, isn't he... :o

My bad. I ASSumed he was referring to one of their .223 varmint models, but I didn't know enough about DMPS's lineup to comment. Error not withstanding, they have far more product since the last time I was on their site a couple years or so ago. Not just all the .308s, but now even .243s and .260s, and a .204?? Seems like overkill, and where does one even buy ammo for a .204?

MarshallDodge
08-20-08, 11:18
I have the LR-308 and it is a big rifle.

If I were going to be carrying the gun around for long periods then I would probably get the LR308B. :cool: