PDA

View Full Version : Guns you like to take to the range and play with..

ramairthree
03-13-16, 04:56
But could never really like for anything else.

My Desert Eagle 44.
Bought in 87 or so. Put an Aimpoint 1000 on it.
I enjoy shooting it some.
Hate paying for the ammo, carrying, trying to shoot fast, mag changes, etc.
God damn that gun was so cool. And man were you cool to have a pistol with an Aimpoint 30 years ago.
Sight shit to bed. Been years since I shot it. Decided I had to accept it can never be as cool as I think. They do sell for a good price. I should get rid of. Then Deadpool came out.
It is so cool I think I will take it to the range today.

My 8 shot 608 revolvers.
Like to shoot some.
Don't like to carry. Partly because hard to find a good holster.
Fun for a speed load or two.
Then not fun anymore.
Yes, they are made by Taurus. Their saving grace being I did not spend smith performance center money to find out how cool 8 shot revolvers are. For ten minutes at a time.

Speaking of Taurus. My 357 Thunder bolt. Pumps are so much cooler and faster than lever. This is going to rock. Much more a jam session than rock session. When vigorously handled, rounds slip out past the cartridge stop and get under the lifter. The stop is so small. I keep meaning to weld it a touch bigger and see if that helps. It is also so easy to get pushed out of the way and not stop. Like it needs a stronger spring. I have not gotten around to sorting this out in like three years.

Speaking of revolvers.
My old Blackhawk also bought in the 80s. Great gun. But I hate loading and emptying it.
A 45 LC Colt clone my uncle recently gave me. Love it but as I said I hate loading and emptying it. I should probably get a Taurus Thunderbolt in 45 to go with it. That would be cool.
Did I mention
I hate reloading SA revolvers.

My Buntline 22 LR is the same. But was used when younger as a raccoon gun when climbing trees. I used to ask dad why the barrel was so long. If a coon was tree'd and you could see it I would shoot it with my 1890 22 WRF.
If it was in an evergreen and you could not see it from the ground he would climb up and shoot it with the colt. So it had a purpose except the range that I no longer do. Lots of memories. Inherited from Dad. First pistol he taught me to shoot.
I used to ask him why the barrel was so long 9 1/2". He said I would find out one day. Was up in a tree. Shot coon in head and ran right at me on branch. I reflexively pistol whipped it and it fell and put up a few seconds of fight with the dogs. Ejector rod tab was broken off. I got a new one for it. Grips were old and beat and wrong screw. Bought beautiful NOS grips and screw. One of the colt emblems fell out. Bought emblems. Pushing in split the grip. If not for the memories I would pistol whip myself with it.

We have already gone over stuff like HKs, etc. we could not love,
But they do have other purposes.
So I will leave them out.

My AP4 DPMS 308.
Got this around 2006 or so.
Still felt the urge to lament the 308 vs 556 then.
Loved the JP rail Lamb had on his gun. Said I was thinking of making an "M8" but did not think there was an easy rail option like his. He said they had one. Not many 308 ARs then except at SR price. Got the DPMS. Ground down front sight with rail. Same Eotech as work except aa as 123 not as easy to find then and more costly than now. Gun is heavy as shit and like to shot once in a while at range but that is about it. Talked so much smoke about making a "real man's M4", but hate it so much I will only admit it here on the Internet under a nickname. It's like waking up in the morning next to Wynonna Judd when you thought you went to bed with Nicole Kidman.

My SIG 556 SBR.
I wanted an AR SBR with a true folding stock.
I wanted a piston AR.
The ergs are so much closer to an AR than an Ak, it makes it just that much more frustrating that hey are not the same. And the front sight sucks and the Popsicle stick rear sucks worse. And the stock height even more. And the factory grip even more than that. Christ. It's like expecting all your favorites candies mixed into one bar and then instead getting a melted, misshapen power bar you found in a pocket you forget your Crye pants had after they had been through the wash a few times. And you can't for some reason just throw it away.

My SWD M11/9 I sold last year.
Fun for a couple of mags at the range. No other use.
My first NFA back in 93.
Horrible ergs, sights, quality, etc.
Decided to cash out at a huge profit vs Lage it.
Saying it had horrible ergs and quality is like saying Charlie Sheen enjoys to party a little now and then. It is like saying Hillary Clinton might not be the prettiest girl out there.

300 win mag savage. Ok, fun 3 shot group. Tired of shooting it. Now what? Why the hell did I need to buy an up caliber sniper rifle again? I was never a trained sniper. I don't even have a ****ing 308 sniper rifle. I did not even put a great scope on it.

Magazine fed bolt action 50 cal. I had the urge for a 50 cal. I don't know why. It had to be magazine fed. I don't know why. I wanted a semi auto Barret for some reason. I don't know why. I was too cheap to spend that much. I needed a post deployment toy. Why did I need a 50? I don't know. But it's America, and I ****ing can. I have put ten rounds through it. It is fun. What in God's name am I ever going to do with it?

Sub2000.
Before Glock mag ARs I got one.
I have a thing for pistol carbine mag combos.
Too flimsy for serious use.
But it folds up.
And has shitty plastic parts.
It had one and only one other purpose than range toy so far.

FIL got draft notice. Tried to join NG after. Told too late. Went to basic and AIT. Took OCS only to delay going to Vietnam. Offered flight school. Took another branch instead as less chance going to Vietnam. Assigned to a training post state side. Took an extension to original service commitment as training unit guy which would guarantee him finishing up state side then getting out and not having to go to Vietnam. Always bragging about he got the job for being such an awesome pistol shot and how smart he was getting out of going to Vietnam.

One visit took him to the range with son. He choose Glocks. I offered Beretta's, 45s, etc. and it was his choice. Glocks are like KaBars to me. I'll be fine to dig a shit hole, cut something, or hammer something with it and happy to stab someone in the neck with it, but I have no reverence or connection to one like a Randall or such.

At ten yards with 26 could not hit standard plates on a rack. Was "getting the hang of the grip." No luck after a few more mags. Needed a bigger grip. Then 19. Same. Short barrels are inaccurate. 17. Same. 100 rounds and not a single dropped plate with same guns and ammo son and I having no issues with.
Could tell he was feeling lower than a snake's belly in front of his grandson.

Pulled out sub2000. Said with the longer sight radius and the sight way out there he should be shooting like he used to despite his eyes getting older. You won't go to hell for little white lies. He did not appear to ever have been able to shoot for dick. He worked for years requiring great sight for fine, skilled repairs and always has good glasses and scripts. He sees with those better than I do without.

None of the basics down and was not by any means a former great shot that had gotten a little rusty and was getting used to a new gun. We are talking he was like some guy that went to the range a few times in the service, and over the decades had forgotten that and only remembered the great shot story.

Anyways, with the carbine, He was dropping plates like a champ and enjoyed the rest of the trip.

As we were finishing up and son out of shot, he said "Thanks, I owe you one."
I said "you keep bragging about dodging Vietnam to a man who has spent multiple tours in combat zones in front of a wife and kids who have spent years of their lives with Dad gone. I have not expressed my opinion of that to them. I suspect it does not have the effect on their opinion of you that you think it does. Stop."

Have not heard the story since. I think I'll give him the Kel Tec on the in laws next visit.

Moose-Knuckle
03-13-16, 05:06
My Rugers; GP-100, 10/22, and 22/45.

All fun blasters.

ABNAK
03-13-16, 08:27
As we were finishing up and son out of shot, he said "Thanks, I owe you one."
I said "you keep bragging about dodging Vietnam to a man who has spent multiple tours in combat zones in front of a wife and kids who have spent years of their lives with Dad gone. I have not expressed my opinion of that to them. I suspect it does not have the effect on their opinion of you that you think it does. Stop."

Given your background I was wondering how that went over! Your choice of words was pretty good.......obviously he's your FIL so you can't just say "You're a pussy".

Bulletdog
03-13-16, 09:37
My latest fun gun is my daughter's M&P 15-22 in pink tiger stripe camo. Polymer upper and lower so its light weight and easy for her to handle. My range has some hanging steel on the pistol range at about 30 yards. I'm not exaggerating when I say I have fun playing a song on that steel. Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding… Fun gun.

Firefly
03-13-16, 10:14
Pretty much at this point I just shoot .22....

But of my stash what I enjoy shooting when I can:

Ruger 10/22: cheers me right up

Kimber 1911: This is supposed to be tge most broke-dick 1911 in the world like ever, but mine works. Had it over a decade. Use inherited Vietnam War(possibly made in Korean war...) GI mags. Fed it TulAmmo during the panic.
It just runs and females enjoy shooting it. I took out the FLGR. So if this is a suckass 1911 I can't wait to get a Colt :p

AR-180: it's just fun.

S&W 629: expensive to shoot but I like it.

Walther PPK: Because Goldeneye

That's pretty much it in the just for fun pile.

Airhasz
03-13-16, 12:30
G26,G19, AK UF and one of several AR's I choose from. I enjoy them all every time I head to the shooting area. I very rarely go to a public range, probably been over three years since I've shot with a range officer and rules.

26 Inf
03-13-16, 12:39
For fun I really like anything .22 -

Ruger Mark I - my favorite .22 pistol
Kimber Classic Gold Match - I'm like Firefly - I know they are supposed to suck but mine sure doesn't. Nowadays I shoot it more with the .22 conversion kit on it.
GSG 1911 .22 - daughters training gun
M&P 22 - other daughters training gun
Dedicated AR .22 built with a CMMG .22 barrel and their bolt - daughters service rifle trainer

I shot these guns for recreation more than I shoot anything else.

I still shoot the 'big boy guns' at work, though.

soulezoo
03-13-16, 15:55
I have an old marlin model 60. Very fun to shoot. Amazing accuracy out to 75 yards or so.

Not so much fun: I have a pair of .300 wby mags.

Looks like most enjoy the .22. Wife has an old lever action .22 (winchester wannabe) that is fun as well.

duece71
03-13-16, 16:12
LMT MWS .308, BCM mk12 SPR-ish AR, any of my .45's. I bought a .22 (ruger) but hardly shoot it.

buckshot1220
03-13-16, 16:48
Pretty much all of my AK variants - Don't get me wrong, they're uber reliable, I think the 7.62x39 is great for close range work and they can be set up reasonably well nowadays (think Ultimak, Magpul, VLTOR etc), however, I can't get past the safety, lack of BHO and having to re-rack with left hand (either over or under). I love working on them, re-finishing both the steel and wood surfaces and enjoy the history, good and bad, behind them. For the aforementioned reasons though, they are toys and anything I'd pick up in a serious situation would be an AR variant.

1911s - I may catch some flack here, so please know I'm not beating up the platform or anyone that chooses to carry one. For me I only like all-steel, full size 1911s that look like they came straight out of WWII with low-pro sights and all. For those reasons alone it kind of relegates it to "fun use only." They're heavy, have horrible capacity and like AKs I enjoy working on them and the history behind them more so than I'd ever care to rely on one when the chips are down.

Long range guns - I've built several over the years, got bored and sold them only to punish myself again buy building another one to repeat the same process. For some reason I trick myself into thinking it will be really fun. It isn't, for me at least. I'm doomed to repeat this process. Has anyone seen the new Ruger Precision Rifle???!!! Here we go...

elephant
03-13-16, 17:08
My cousin and I bought some western replicas a few years back, 1874 Sharps, 1873 carbine, 1860 Henry and some pistols and that is all we shoot when we go out to our place in Hamilton. We even have replica western holsters.

Firefly
03-13-16, 17:22
My cousin and I bought some western replicas a few years back, 1874 Sharps, 1873 carbine, 1860 Henry and some pistols and that is all we shoot when we go out to our place in Hamilton. We even have replica western holsters.

The Quigley Down Under gun is on the bucket list. That and the 1892 from The Rifleman. And whatever revolver rifle Lee Van Cleef gave brain surgery with on Few Dollars More.

No idea the cost but I'm assuming a lot but I'll be the talk of the rest home.

JoshNC
03-13-16, 17:39
The items that almost always accompany me to the range:

- HK MP5K-N with DLO full auto frame, SWR QD3K suppressor
- Colt M16 with Noveske N4 10.5" Mk18 CQBR upper, AAC M4-2000 suppressor
- SIG 552 SBR
- Steyr AUG
- Glock 17

ramairthree
03-13-16, 17:48
The items that almost always accompany me to the range:

- HK MP5K-N with DLO full auto frame, SWR QD3K suppressor
- Colt M16 with Noveske N4 10.5" Mk18 CQBR upper, AAC M4-2000 suppressor
- SIG 552 SBR
- Steyr AUG
- Glock 17

You Sir, with such an appreciation for fine things,
I picture in a large comfortable leather chair in a smoking jacket, with a fine scotch in one hand and your arm around an attractive woman half your age in your other, in your library. With a fine hound at your feet and a large wood fireplace. With the dog kicked off the polar bear carpet as you and your lady friend are about to need it. Well done.

ramairthree
03-13-16, 17:57
I forgot to mention AKs Buckshot.
From my first Mak 90 to my SAR 5.45 to my PAPs and under folder and my Dragobased SBR,
I love them the way I love to for for a drive in my 70 GTO, etc. but not for a daily driver.

I love taking them to the range the way Charlie Sheen loves to party. Only they are a lot safer.

Putting a POSP scope one an AK based fun though, I freaking end up hating the time to zero, etc.

JulyAZ
03-13-16, 18:19
I'm surprised not one of the fake range commandos has chimed in yet with that garbage that goes a little like:

"guns are tools, I don't have any more fun with a nail gun then I do with my firearms. Their not meant to have fun with"

Firearms in America, are more than tools they could also be for sport (you know activities you do for fun).

With that said. I have a nice collection of Winchester 94s chambered 30-30. I love them for what they are, not so much what they can do. They serve no purpose for me, other than they were something I always wanted. I took a Winchester 94 from '76 added a large loop lever on it then added a saddle ring to it. To look like the rifle from the Rifleman tv show. It's a fun gun I enjoy killing empty cans with. My other 94 predate that rifle and mostly tend to sit in the safes as collector pieces.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/eb6bcb9090431434cd5ed0e513aedb89.jpg

Wake27
03-13-16, 18:27
My Garand. Although I want to go hunting with it so that would be using it for something else. Either way, I love shooting that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
03-13-16, 18:40
I just enjoy shooting... everything.

That said I plan on picking up a 1911 and a short, handy 308 bolt gun just for kicks in a few years.

26 Inf
03-13-16, 18:41
JulyAZ - you made me think, I also have a couple guns that I cherish and enjoy for what they are - don't go to the range at all or on rare occasions:

1903 (Remington mfg.) - my dad was working on this when he passed away at age 37, it is in a hand finished/shaped Herter Monte Carlo stock, bare metal, with no scope mounted, I keep it oiled and free from rust and think about my dad's last couple years and the things we didn't get to do whenever I see it in the safe.

Belgian Browning Sweet 16 - mom's 16th anniversary gift to dad - it is pristine - I've hunted with it, but it is a safe queen now. My oldest son will get it when I go.

M1 - IHC - I shoot it pretty much just to hear the 'ching' when it ejects a clip - WWII movies you know - shoots good, looks good, I have it to have it.

Mark V Jungle Carbine - named 'Jenna' because she's been rode hard. I've always liked the looks of them and bought her as a project. Can't decide whether to leave as is or refinish wood and metal. Shot her to see if she worked, could have bought a headspace gauge for what the gunsmith I took her to charged me. Oh, well.

SteyrAUG
03-13-16, 18:50
MP5 and P226.

Vegas
03-13-16, 19:05
My Mossberg 930 doesn't really have a purpose other than fun. Once in a while I use it for no other reason than cleaning the layers of old paint off a steel target.

Dienekes
03-13-16, 21:04
My CMP M1 Garand ($165 in 1984) that I rebarelled, tweaked, and bedded to NM specs. As I can no longer use irons I lament my lost middle age. My WWII ETO father carried one; maybe I'll earmark this one for his great-grandson...

Colt 6720 with TA33 ACOG--sights I can SEE, lightness added. Can't get it to go PING! on the last round, though, no matter what I do. Maybe I can get an aftermarket sound chip installed.

Well worn Ruger Security Six .357; work and training gun for most of my career. Old Reliable.

Ruger "Mk. I" .22 auto pistol; used, abused, and rehabbed truck gun from hock shop in OK for $59. Even cleaned up and reblued it looks awful; replaced all springs and did a trigger job on it. It always goes to the range with me and is scary accurate, always fun.

S&W Model 18 .22 LR; understudy to the above Security Six since 1983. Class, reliability, and lots of fun too.

Ruger NM Blackhawk .45 Convertible, 4 5/8": short, light, handy, big honking hole in muzzle. Big bullets, ample power, shoots ridiculously well. Very cathartic.

1911s from way back. BHPs have begun to find their way into the house, too.

It was a very good year...

ccosby
03-13-16, 22:13
I have a few 10mm pistols that I don't take out often but really enjoy. I have a glock 20, smith and wesson 610 revolver, sw 1006, and a colt delta elite. I also have a sw 357 686+ 6 inch revolver. That thing is such a blast to shoot.

The gun that draws the most attention is my m10 submachine gun with lage upper. People generally walk over to see whats up with that.

JoshNC
03-14-16, 00:32
You Sir, with such an appreciation for fine things,
I picture in a large comfortable leather chair in a smoking jacket, with a fine scotch in one hand and your arm around an attractive woman half your age in your other, in your library. With a fine hound at your feet and a large wood fireplace. With the dog kicked off the polar bear carpet as you and your lady friend are about to need it. Well done.

Hahaha....not so much. But thanks for the laugh.

TheChunkNorris
03-14-16, 05:32
The ones I like to take but don't shoot nearly as often:

- FDE H&K Mark 23
- H&K P7(M8)
- Ruger 22/45
- BHP
- HK MR556 SBR
- HK G36C clone

There's some things that are pending Form 1's on my arrival in July but those are the ones that usually get unusual stares/questions(Especially the P7 models). The Mark 23 is an absolute beast... it's just amazing to shoot and nothing shoots better while suppressed. It's a shame it's a total giant but I really need to get a standard model in the collection so I don't shoot the FDE one.

Doc Safari
03-14-16, 11:19
I need more range time with my ACOG. I shoot an AR like it's attached to me, but the 3X on that ACOG is still something I have to get used to.

Other than that, I like taking my Glock 17 because it holds a gazillion rounds and I always seem to be reloading after everyone else.

HKGuns
03-14-16, 11:53
FN Five-Seven and S&W 44 Mag revolvers are a hoot.

Dienekes
03-14-16, 13:10
I need more range time with my ACOG. I shoot an AR like it's attached to me, but the 3X on that ACOG is still something I have to get used to.

I have the red horseshoe reticle. Out to 200 it's essentially a red dot. (I had it changed from a 7.62 with amber post to 5.56 and horseshoe which suits me to a T.)

TMS951
03-14-16, 13:17
Custom Springfield 1911, I have been working on. Its a joy to own and modify. After each mod, its fun to shoot and see the difference. Today I shot it after fitting a Kart xact fit barrel.

H&K Mark23. Fun gun, I shoot it really well. Some hate it, I love it.

Niether are practical carry guns. (though I carry the Mark23 with .45 super in the woods)

ColtSeavers
03-14-16, 13:56
2 1/4" SP101 with AE 158gr .357 mag fodder is pretty fun for "WTF!?" looks.

brickboy240
03-14-16, 14:05
The CMP Garand and my WWII M-1 Carbine are high on the "fun to shoot" list.

The carbine is like shooting a 22 and the Garand makes the 30-06 very tolerable.

TheChunkNorris
03-14-16, 14:08
Custom Springfield 1911, I have been working on. Its a joy to own and modify. After each mod, its fun to shoot and see the difference. Today I shot it after fitting a Kart xact fit barrel.

H&K Mark23. Fun gun, I shoot it really well. Some hate it, I love it.

Niether are practical carry guns. (though I carry the Mark23 with .45 super in the woods)

Yes! Just think that there are drop leg holsters for MP7s.

Alex V
03-14-16, 15:42
Beretta 90-Two in 40. I suck with pistols, but I was able to hit a 1/2 size IDPA steel target at an LAV class from 75y with my M&P-9, can't hit the broad side of a barn with the 90-Two. Its fun to plink with, but that is about it. I'm terrible with it.

pingdork
03-15-16, 00:28
The thump of my Marlin 1895 45-70 never fails to put a smile on my face, and empty my wallet.

Whacking clays on the skeet range with my silver pigeon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunfixr
03-15-16, 13:25
Range only, eh?
A little h&r top break model 999 22 revolver. Always wanted one, but mostly just fun to plink with.
Winchester 1873 I custom built on an original frame, but in 45 colt. Black powder only, so a range gun. Used to use it for cas. Rip out 10 or so 45 blackpowder rounds, and people stop to look.
Winchester 1887 shotgun in 10ga, made 1893. Also black powder only. Short barrel, no choke, so mostly a fun gun. Used to use this for cas also.
Uzi. I built this, too, having wanted one since I was a kid. But, it's big, and heavy for what it is. Building it myself gave me an uzi with all Hebrew markings, and no import marks, but it is semiautomatic. If I need a pdw, my b&t tmp9 sbr is smaller and lighter.
Remington rolling block Springfield musket conversion in 58 Berdan. Basically a post civil war musket conversion, where the barrel is cut at the breech and mounted in a receiver. Most were sleeved to either 50-70, or 45-70, but a small few were left 58 and chambered for the experimental Berdan cartridge. Clearly black powder only, but a 650gr bullet on top of 100gr of powder hits like a brick. It's range now, but I hope to hunt with it someday.
Auto mag model 180, in 44amp. This gets attention pretty quick, too. A couple friends keep telling me to carry it, and I have a nice holster and mag pouches, but it is a large, heavy pistol, so it hasn't happened.
Yet.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk