PDA

View Full Version : EDC light reccommendations

Kain
03-13-16, 19:36
So, I've been carrying a Surefire G2X tactical that I swapped the original tailcap with a clicky cap a long while ago. I like the light, and it does meet my needs/wants in a carry light, durable, bright, simple. Since things have been rather cold up until the past couple weeks, tossing it in my jacket pocket hasn't been an issue and I have been trying to carrying a EDC light on me like the rest of my gear, gun, knife, mag, ect. However, with the weather breaking I am getting to the point that I am just getting damn tired of carrying the light, not so much due to weight, but the size of the light just is becoming more and more annoying for shoving in a pocket, and the fact that it doesn't have a pocket clip means that half the time I end up fishing for the damn thing when I need it.

Now, I have a SF titan on my key chain if I need a low output map lap at 15 lumens, and for lesser administrative tasks the 125 output on it would work. What I am looking for here is something more GP and that could be pressed into service as a defensive light should the need arise.

So over the past few weeks I have been searching around for a slimmer light that would fit my needs for carry.

Have broken my wants to more or less this.
1: single output. I don't need or want something where I have to click my way through half a dozen settings, or even just two, to get to the output I want. If it has the ability to choose my output like the older Fenix lights by twisting the bezel or something manual like that I would be interested though.

2: slim profile. would like the bezel to be no more than an inch or so, and the body to be a little bit less, a la the SF E2D if one needs a point of reference.

3: decent output, 200-300 lumen being about where I would like the light to be. Can be persuaded a bit higher or lower, as long as we aren't getting into stupid high or low lumen outputs.

4: Pocket clip. If we are talking a perfect world one that allows me to go bezel up or down and that I can get replacements for easily to have extra on hand because while I haven't bend a pocket clip on one of my Emersons in quite some time, it has happened and I like being able to fix things without waiting on something to be shipped.

5: clicky tail cap for momentary and constant on.

I will say this as well, I'd like CR123 as the power source, but am more than open to AA or AAA. Also the need for the light to be both durable and reliable are kind of givens here as well. some sort of knurling would be nice too. As far as price, if I can keep it under $150 that would be a bonus, beyond that I'd likely end up with the L4U mentioned below here.

So far the lights that I have found that have fit, at least most, though not really all, my wants have been the Vtac SF L4 lights, lack of easily ordering an extra pocket clip or two being the main draw back here otherwise I've likely have bought it already. Now the minis for that are only 110, which is a little light(No pun intended) for what I want, and it is hard for to have my Titan having a higher max output than it, and could be a bit short for me, the normal L4U with the Ultra head is a bit over kill and at $250+ ain't what I would call cheap. I have looked at picking up a E2D or an older one used and swapping the head to a 200 lumen scout head, but the issue that crops up there, is that for a big more i could just buy the L4U and swap heads with my old M600C and basically give myself another M600Ultra and have the output I want and a high output on one of my BCMs. Have also looked at some of the Fourseven offerings, and think that I may need to read more up on them, since I still ain't sure exactly how their set ups work.

So in short, for the wants/needs that I have here, what other options are out there that I need to look at. Am trying to be open minded here, and the only things I am hard set on is single output/manual non click through output selection and it being slim. Can fudge on the output, even going well above 300 lumens, and I could forgo the pocket clip even, if it were long enough to ride high enough in my pocket to be easily grabbed. I am just lost trying to find anything other than what I have already mentioned that fits my needs and doesn't have forty different settings or options that you can click through if you go button masher on the tail switch, which is why I am asking here before spending the $260 for the ****ing L4U.

Uprange41
03-13-16, 20:17
Have you looked at the EB1?

I have a couple of the older models with the tactical tail cap (http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Backup-Tactical-Switch-Flashlight/dp/B007S0L4YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457917721&sr=8-1&keywords=eb1) (push light for 5, press harder for 200, and twist for constant). 5 lumen low, 200 lumen high, with their TIR lens. Meaning, it's a very efficient 5/200 lumens. Not a lot of spill, but it really throws well (throws better than my 320 lumen G2X's), and the 5 lumens all go to where you point them... You won't be using it to find a trail, but it's still useful. If you're used to the floodier beam on the G2X, the beam on the EB1 might feel a bit tight.

If you can live without the clicky function, it might be what you're looking for. The new models are 300 lumens, but they're clicky, and they cycle through modes. Which is fine for utility lighting, but no bueno for use with a handgun, which is why I personally carry it. I want to go "oh shit" on the tailcap and get high output every single time. But the tailcap is easy to twist with one hand for constant, so it's not as much a nuisance as I expected.

Other options are Malkoff and Elzetta, who I don't know as much about, other than they're generally regarded as GTG and make lights very similar to the EB1, and might have a clicky single-output option.

SeriousStudent
03-13-16, 20:23
Is 120 lumens just too low for you, based on environment and needs?

If not, I have been running these for about a year now: http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1920-LED-Flashlight-Black/dp/B005OLYVS2/ref=pd_bxgy_468_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=10BJWC1AFN8SN9FG4G9T

A Pelican 1920 is only 22 bucks off Amazon. They are cheap enough you can have a couple stashed in different place. They are slim enough that they do not take up too much valuable pocket real estate. You can still carry a phone or knife or wallet in that pocket.

They have a clip and run bezel down, use AAA's, have a single output with a momentary on and click once constant on.

I have about a grand worth of Surefires in a drawer, and have been using this for some time. I also like being able to give them as a gift to new folks. Just about every time a lady asks for a flashlight to see something, I give her mine. Then I grab a spare from my vehicle. They are cheap enough to give away.

I do wonder if you could get someone on Candlepower Forums to mod one of these up to about 200 lumens, that would be perfect. They have some serious electronic ninja's over there. That would also be a good place to ask for input.

And I hate that "cycle through 847 modes" crap. <grumpy old man mode off>

Hope that helps.

Kain
03-13-16, 20:46
For $22 bucks I don't see having much lose, 120 is on the low side, but again for $22 it wouldn't hurt me if it ended up in a pack as a backup next to another old and well used M1 Pelican light. Hell, was looking at a 4Seven light at $50 figuring that would be worth beating up just to see if I could get it to my needs.

Also the old EB1 could be an option as well, will look around.

Does Malkoff even offer complete lights? Thought they were just a head company. And get you heads out of the gutter, thank you.
Forgot about Elzetta so will look them up as well.

I really am hoping we reach the point soon where we can buy a light, hook it to a computer and configure it to what we want, single output, multiple output, dial the lumens up and down, ect. Wold make life much easier and everyone would be happy. At least I would.

SeriousStudent
03-13-16, 20:51
Malkoff does allow you to build a flashlight, with bodies and switches. Like all of his products, Gene's work is very popular and subject to availability. He makes great stuff that is always in demand.

I'd love to see what you propose. Just plug in a USB cable, click a few buttons on your smartphone, and your flashlight is now reconfigured.

Uprange41
03-13-16, 20:56
For $22 bucks I don't see having much lose, 120 is on the low side, but again for $22 it wouldn't hurt me if it ended up in a pack as a backup next to another old and well used M1 Pelican light. Hell, was looking at a 4Seven light at $50 figuring that would be worth beating up just to see if I could get it to my needs.

Also the old EB1 could be an option as well, will look around.

Does Malkoff even offer complete lights? Thought they were just a head company. And get you heads out of the gutter, thank you.
Forgot about Elzetta so will look them up as well.

I really am hoping we reach the point soon where we can buy a light, hook it to a computer and configure it to what we want, single output, multiple output, dial the lumens up and down, ect. Wold make life much easier and everyone would be happy. At least I would.
Malkoff does complete lights now, I think most are 250 lumen and they may have different mode and cap choices.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/all/malkoff-mdc-pocket-flashlights

The biggest thing I couldn't get behind with Elzetta is the size with the pocket clip. It's just a little bit too bulky for me. Plus, I do like Surefire's TIR lens/beam better for something that I carry primarily as a handgun light.

And I'd like a user-customizeable light as well. I managed to swap Surefire Sidekicks' outputs from L/M/H to H/M/L, which felt so 21st century, but that's about the extent of it.

Kain
03-13-16, 21:02
I'd love to see what you propose. Just plug in a USB cable, click a few buttons on your smartphone, and your flashlight is now reconfigured.

I think it will come. 4seven has an app that is set up with one of their likes now though from what I see, they are still more in the utility opposed to my desire for a more GP/defensive light. To get to where WE want it, I think it may take longer. But, the idea of configuring a light with a phone or computer isn't far off. Just like we might configure a rifle for different applications I don't see why not configuring a light for it as well. Perhaps with the right light it would be able to configure white and IR as well as output. Someone has to think of ideas. Maybe I should get with a tech guy and design some of these things and patent them.

Going to go check out malkoff and see what I might be able to build with his parts.

Kain
03-13-16, 21:14
Malkoff does complete lights now, I think most are 250 lumen and they may have different mode and cap choices.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/all/malkoff-mdc-pocket-flashlights

The biggest thing I couldn't get behind with Elzetta is the size with the pocket clip. It's just a little bit too bulky for me. Plus, I do like Surefire's TIR lens/beam better for something that I carry primarily as a handgun light.

And I'd like a user-customizeable light as well. I managed to swap Surefire Sidekicks' outputs from L/M/H to H/M/L, which felt so 21st century, but that's about the extent of it.

250 lumens would be about ideal for my wants. So i will be looking hard at time. Will likely grab the Pelican for the interm.

I am surprised you could even do that. It is something I suppose, but damn is it hard to want something simple in this age of lights.

SeriousStudent
03-13-16, 21:21

This one looks like a winner:

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/products/mdc-ha-sho-1cr123-flashlight

Single mode, goes straight to high, and $106 price tag.

At that price, I may just order one of those.... thanks for the tip.

Kain
03-13-16, 21:39

I saw that one too. They also have a 2 cr123 body that should work with a Scout head. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

SeriousStudent
03-13-16, 21:51
LOL - true. More Lego's for grownups. :cool:

That's why I have a drawer full of flashlights and parts, and a footlocker full of holsters.

Kain
03-13-16, 21:54
LOL - true. More Lego's for grownups. :cool:

That's why I have a drawer full of flashlights and parts, and a footlocker full of holsters.

Only a footlocker? Amateur. :p lol.

Though, I think these things and ARs are proof than even grown ups need something to play with.

SeriousStudent
03-13-16, 22:24
When we grown-ups do it, it's "engineering." That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

JulyAZ
03-13-16, 22:47
I love my E1D defender. It's a great little carry light, I added a 1.5 inch metal Oring attached to it that sits outside my pocket, that acts light a switchback/quick draw device for the light.

CLHC
03-13-16, 23:11
There's Armytek (https://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/hunting-and-military/) that can be looked into and isn't too overly priced. Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy! :cool:

CLHC
03-13-16, 23:15
Here's my EDC Torches if you will:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-03-10%2016.18.18_zpsljfwwagu.jpg

The SF.M2Centurion has the Malkoff Devices M61W that I've been using for more than a couple of years now with no problems. The other is the SF.P2X IntelliBeam.

philpac33
03-14-16, 00:38
I really love my Elzetta lights and they seem to meet most, if not all, of your needs as outlined. I started off with the original 3-cell; it was great but ended up being longer than I liked for pocket carry so I added a 2-cell "Bravo" body and Elzetta Speed Clip. I still carry that set-up quite often. The 900 lumen(650 w/ 2-cell) AVS head is overkill for some situations but a great option to have. I have swapped the 2 and 3 cell bodies with both heads and prefer the high/low clicky(twist cap 1/4 turn for low). I don't own the Alpha 1-cell but at 375 lumens, really piques my interest. The Speed Clip has worked well for me; it's adjustable for bezel up or down and for depth of carry. Before the Speed Clip came out I had researched for a clip to fit and I believe there were a couple other options out there; I seem to recall a titanium clip from somewhere that would've worked but it's been a long time ago now. Google and candlepower.com forums were my means of information on the subject. With 1,2,&3 cell bodies, 2 different power Malkoff heads, several different bezels and tail cap options, and at least some clip options, you should be able to come up with pretty darn close to what you want in a carry light.

mjpgolf1
03-14-16, 06:11
I have several lights but the one that comes to mind for you is the Streamlight Protac 2L. Great output, programmable, and very nice to carry. Disappears in the pocket but is still big enough to use in a defensive situation where you don't have to worry about the light being so small that you can't hold onto it. Worth taking a look at in my opinion.

Nightstalker865
03-14-16, 07:34
I've carried a Streamlight Pro-TAC 1L for the past two years. It has been my favorite EDC light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdgiii
03-14-16, 08:20
I go back and forth between a Pelican 1920 and a Streamlight Protac 1L. They are both less lumens than the OP is looking for but for the price point of each i'm happy. And if I lose either of them it's not so painful. I've carried one or the other daily in my pocket for the last two years and I have no complaints whatsoever. The Protac is programmable.

LSK
03-14-16, 10:24
I'll second the Elzetta recommendation. I have been using them since they came out. As bombproof as a light can be and it maintains it's light output for most of the battery life, something I can not say of SF lights.

HCrum87hc
03-14-16, 11:05
I've been pretty happy with my Fenix PD22UE (current model PD25). It's small, has a pocket clip, uses one 123A battery, and has clicky/momentary on. There are 4 brightness modes, but whatever mode the light is in when it's turned off, that's what it's in when it turns on. I usually leave mine on the 200 lumen mode. The modes are 6, 60, 200, and 400 on 123As. It also can run on the rechargeable 16340 batteries for higher output.

dlquinn71
03-14-16, 13:02

I bought that light. Can't see myself carrying any other light, unless I lose it. Even beam, way better clip than other lights, quality craftsmanship. Worth the money imho..

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Auto-X Fil
03-14-16, 14:15
I have several lights but the one that comes to mind for you is the Streamlight Protac 2L. Great output, programmable, and very nice to carry. Disappears in the pocket but is still big enough to use in a defensive situation where you don't have to worry about the light being so small that you can't hold onto it. Worth taking a look at in my opinion.

Thanks, I'm about to grab one of those, I think. Any thoughts about that vs the 1L? I currently have a bunch of Surefire G2-series light around the house, car, etc., but find that size too big to pocket carry.

I have a StreamLight MicroStream that's my EDC - it's hardly a defensive light, but is absolutely perfect for a utility light: vanishes even in dress pants or light shorts, very secure clip, just big enough to grip, just bright enough to light up a work area, and even clips to a ballcap brim to make an improvised headlamp. And the battery lasts for a month or two of really heavy use. I used to use my phone flashlight (camera flash LED) all the time, but this is way more useful. Easier one-handed, brighter, can be held in the mouth, can be used in wet/dirty environments, can be dropped, etc.

I am thinking about the 2L as a defensive light that I can carry the same way, so that I'm used to reaching for it. The SureFire Titan line is tiny and plenty bright, but at the size of the MicroStream it's hardly something you can firmly hold and manipulate under stress. And runtime is comical - it's practically single-use. So, I'm thinking the 1L or 2L might provide the best balance of pocket-able size and sufficient meat to really grip, plus a bright beam.

Freelance
03-14-16, 14:34
I have 2 EDC's I currently like and carry that are small, adjustably bright, and have nice pocket clips. My current favorite is the Sunwayman V11R (540 Lumens off a single RCR-123A/3.2 volt cell,) I like this best because of the adjustable light lvl, 1 to 540 with a twist of the lens cap. Been using for 3+ years now. Also another great option is the Olight S1 Baton ( 500 lumens single RCR-123A, 3 modes of light + strobe,) I like this one because it comes with a charging base and is a bit smaller than the VR11 and has a magnetic base which makes it easy to use as a work light in small spaces. Both have been solid performers so far and are under $100 bucks.

Uprange41
03-14-16, 17:46

No problem. Do a "range report" after you've got some miles with it. I know Gene makes good stuff from talking to guys who use his gear, but it's hard to find the quality level of reviews that Surefire and Elzetta enjoy on anything Malkoff.

And FWIW, since we're talking about our own EDC lights now, I carry the EB1 and a Sidekick.

The EB1 is a defensive light, so I don't use it at all, and I carry it any time I carry a gun. I have another to mess around with for training and practicing (and just getting to dick with a $140 purchase :D), but the one I carry is preserved. The Sidekick is my go-to light for just about everything, including tasks around the house. It's rechargeable, so I charge when I'm in the car (lots of commuting for me), and I get excellent runtime out of it. I don't notice a drop off in output (meaning, if it's there, it's not drastic), and with a floody beam, I find that I don't need full output all the time. I can walk around a dark path with it at 5 lumens just fine, or shine it across the yard (~60 yards) to light up a dark corner well enough to see if something's there It's not the sun, but it's enough. Plus, when I'm not carrying and it's my only light, the 300 lumens is still a good amount to stick in the face and reap the benefits of light concealment (mine, as mentioned earlier, are set to go high first). If one can live without a pocket clip, it's a fantastic option.

jpmuscle
03-14-16, 18:07
Didn't want to start another thread so figured I'd jump in here.

Looking for a good duty light. I want 500 plus lumens (ideally 800-1000) and single mode operation. Surefire Fury and malkoff hot throw or hound dogs are at the top of the list.

Y'all have any experience with the solarforce offerings too? The p1/L2 bodies and xplv3 engines look nice but for less than 40 bucks I want to be sure their not total crap. If nothing else I wouldn't mind putting a few of their LED drop ins in a bunch of my surefire g2s, 6Ps, and C2 that I have.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kain
03-14-16, 18:17
I go back and forth between a Pelican 1920 and a Streamlight Protac 1L. They are both less lumens than the OP is looking for but for the price point of each i'm happy. And if I lose either of them it's not so painful. I've carried one or the other daily in my pocket for the last two years and I have no complaints whatsoever. The Protac is programmable.

Define programmable for the protac? I have in the past looked at them, but unless I can lock it out to one output they really aren't of interest, well that and the fact i've killed several streamlight carry options, albeit the cheaper ones. Again, I am being a little neurotic I know, but if I have the ability to, by clicking quickly, causing it to go to a different output or mode then I am not really interested. One of the reasons I sold and traded off my TLR1s was because while working through a house or building illuminating I had on several occasions managed to cause it to go to strobe, and while not a lethal malf of the light, it was enough for me to dump it for something where I had fully and complete control of what the damn thing was going to do.

sammage
03-14-16, 18:28
Define programmable for the protac? I have in the past looked at them, but unless I can lock it out to one output they really aren't of interest, well that and the fact i've killed several streamlight carry options, albeit the cheaper ones. Again, I am being a little neurotic I know, but if I have the ability to, by clicking quickly, causing it to go to a different output or mode then I am not really interested.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/education/ten-tap_prog.html

To change the programming, you would need to activate the light ten times in four seconds. With the Streamlights I have used, it never became an issue. YMMV.

Also have been very pleased with the AAA Pelican 1910 and 1920 for the money.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Kain
03-14-16, 18:33
There's Armytek (https://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/hunting-and-military/) that can be looked into and isn't too overly priced. Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy! :cool:

Hmm, interesting lights. I am glad to see there are more options out there than I had hoped for. The Malkoff and Elzettas are the ones that I am looking at the hardest. Though I fear if that one cell Malkoff works well I'd end up with another one of the heads and one of slippers bodies on a rifle. Should have asked sooner in all honestly and saved myself some hair pulling. Lol. Hopefully I am not the only one who gets to find what they are looking for.

As far as EDCing a maglight, if I need a baton I'll carry an ASP. Or just use my swinging cod :jester: Lol.

Kain
03-14-16, 18:39
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/education/ten-tap_prog.html

To change the programming, you would need to activate the light ten times in four seconds. With the Streamlights I have used, it never became an issue. YMMV.

Also have been very pleased with the AAA Pelican 1910 and 1920 for the money.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmm, may be worth a look then. I sometimes, with the amount of variation, have a hard time knowing what is what with some of those. But 10 times in 4 seconds is more than I could generally foresee.

As far as Pelican lights. From the ones I have owned and used, underrated lights. Really they are.

jdgiii
03-14-16, 18:42
Define programmable for the protac? I have in the past looked at them, but unless I can lock it out to one output they really aren't of interest, well that and the fact i've killed several streamlight carry options, albeit the cheaper ones. Again, I am being a little neurotic I know, but if I have the ability to, by clicking quickly, causing it to go to a different output or mode then I am not really interested. One of the reasons I sold and traded off my TLR1s was because while working through a house or building illuminating I had on several occasions managed to cause it to go to strobe, and while not a lethal malf of the light, it was enough for me to dump it for something where I had fully and complete control of what the damn thing was going to do.

Im with you on the multi modes. I'm not necessarily a fan of the program options on the Protac 1L. It comes in a high/strobe/low mode and also has a high/low and high only mode. I keep mine in the high only mode. The multi modes are of no use to me but I would like to be able to program any of the single modes; high, low, or strobe.

Big A
03-16-16, 09:56
Too bad Raven Concealment no longer makes this:

I wonder if enough people showed interest they'd bring it back. It's a must have for a 1" bodied light.

JulyAZ
03-16-16, 10:00
Too bad Raven Concealment no longer makes this:

I wonder if enough people showed interest they'd bring it back. It's a must have for a 1" bodied light.

I made my own at the hardware store for less than $1.50, she may not be pretty, but she gets the job done. I just need to find some that have been anodized black. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160316/34fe87c8fc8f925b9ab49534c4534436.jpg

Big A
03-16-16, 14:24
I made my own at the hardware store for less than $1.50, she may not be pretty, but she gets the job done. I just need to find some that have been anodized black.

You made the pocket clip for you E1D for $1.50?

JulyAZ
03-16-16, 14:28
You made the pocket clip for you E1D for $1.50?

Not the pocket clip but the ring for your finger like the Raven. The E1D has the pocket clip already.

Big A
03-16-16, 14:32
Not the pocket clip but the ring for your finger like the Raven. The E1D has the pocket clip already.

Right, what I posted was the pocket clip that raven used to make for the G2/6P series and something the OP was lamenting about his G2X not having.

Kain
03-16-16, 14:46
I knew of the Raven clip for the G2 lights. however since i had replaced the tailcap with a SF clicky cap z68 i think. not sure on the number but it let me click for constant i wasnt sure it would work. also while a pocket clip was wanted the other reason i wanted something else was the G2X was too big for pocket carry for me. otherwise i wpuld have gone with something like the Raven Concealment clip, i belive there are other manufacturers that make simular profucts and filed down the tailcap so that it would work. a finger ring isn't high on my importance list, but i know others will feel different.

Freelance
03-16-16, 14:58
Yes I have 5-6 Solarforce lights that I have assembled and have been very happy with the units. Solid lights and head units, I've had them about 3 -4 years. Very bright and programmable as well as single mode units.

Didn't want to start another thread so figured I'd jump in here.

Looking for a good duty light. I want 500 plus lumens (ideally 800-1000) and single mode operation. Surefire Fury and malkoff hot throw or hound dogs are at the top of the list.

Y'all have any experience with the solarforce offerings too? The p1/L2 bodies and xplv3 engines look nice but for less than 40 bucks I want to be sure their not total crap. If nothing else I wouldn't mind putting a few of their LED drop ins in a bunch of my surefire g2s, 6Ps, and C2 that I have.

jpmuscle
03-16-16, 15:23
Yes I have 5-6 Solarforce lights that I have assembled and have been very happy with the units. Solid lights and head units, I've had them about 3 -4 years. Very bright and programmable as well as single mode units.
Much obliged. I'm going to grab a few of the single modes then. For the price I can't complain. I'll likely grap a couple elzetta Charlie's for duty use.

epfrank
04-15-16, 13:49
I use stream light micro. Nice everyday use light

Kain
08-19-16, 17:40
Well, kind of bumping this on the off chance anyone is like me and wants a single output EDC light and was looking at the VTAC lights. Just ordered a L4U from Impact Weapon Components for $185 since it appears that the are on sale. I know some here have been hating on SF as of late, but.... well it was my first choice, and the price is right. Will still likely grab a malkoff though before the end of the year. Just thought I'd let others know who might be looking for a similar light.

Straight Shooter
08-19-16, 21:12
http://9d9c8b7494c82adfe64c-d82aa1d8f60881abad2d5b8c2c592ca0.r40.cf2.rackcdn.com/2016-8-16_NitecoreTIP/2016-8-15NitecoreTip_01.jpg

Just ordered this. Ill review it once I get it. Ive carried the 45 lumen version on my keychain for a long time now, its been used a lot. Also got washed in washer...no problems at all. Nitecore is making QUALITY stuff that is very affordable.

Uprange41
08-19-16, 22:08
http://9d9c8b7494c82adfe64c-d82aa1d8f60881abad2d5b8c2c592ca0.r40.cf2.rackcdn.com/2016-8-16_NitecoreTIP/2016-8-15NitecoreTip_01.jpg

Just ordered this. Ill review it once I get it. Ive carried the 45 lumen version on my keychain for a long time now, its been used a lot. Also got washed in washer...no problems at all. Nitecore is making QUALITY stuff that is very affordable.

Looks like a lot of great features for the price. I'm still carrying the SF Sidekick every day, and 300 lumens out of a light that small that costs nothing to power is... well, it spoils a guy. I look forward to the review!

Well, kind of bumping this on the off chance anyone is like me and wants a single output EDC light and was looking at the VTAC lights. Just ordered a L4U from Impact Weapon Components for $185 since it appears that the are on sale. I know some here have been hating on SF as of late, but.... well it was my first choice, and the price is right. Will still likely grab a malkoff though before the end of the year. Just thought I'd let others know who might be looking for a similar light.
I didn't know the L4U was a thing... NEED!

I knew of the L4 Mini, which I opted out of in favor of the 200 lumen EB1 Tactical that has been on clearance everywhere for the $135-$150 range. It's 5/200, and a progressive cap so no mode confusion. But the L4U looks like a killer value, considering how difficult EB2 Tactical's are to find.

Kain
08-19-16, 22:16
I didn't know the L4U was a thing... NEED!

I knew of the L4 Mini, which I opted out of in favor of the 200 lumen EB1 Tactical that has been on clearance everywhere for the $135-$150 range. It's 5/200, and a progressive cap so no mode confusion. But the L4U looks like a killer value, considering how difficult EB2 Tactical's are to find.

Lol. I have known about it for sometime. I think it has been the better part of a year with me looking at it going $265 is pricey. Honestly at $185 it a steal if you are wanting to upgrade a M600C and get a 200 lumen light. Or if you just need 500 lumens of I hate your eye sockets. I have not seen the EB1s in the $150 range often, otherwise I may have given them a good consideration, I think the ones I had been seeing were more. That said, if I come across one around election time and everyone is panic buying everything else I might put funds towards that opposed to optics. My only complaint with the L4U, and I think I brought this up in my OP, was that replacement pocket clips cannot be readily ordered from SF, if they could I'd have pieced together a light to these specs some time ago. Then again I have "fixed" an Emerson folder's pocket clip with nothing more than a vice grip and some brute force.

Anyways, when I get the light I'll try to post some pics for everyone to drool....I mean see. :)

Uprange41
08-20-16, 01:48
Lol. I have known about it for sometime. I think it has been the better part of a year with me looking at it going $265 is pricey. Honestly at $185 it a steal if you are wanting to upgrade a M600C and get a 200 lumen light. Or if you just need 500 lumens of I hate your eye sockets. I have not seen the EB1s in the $150 range often, otherwise I may have given them a good consideration, I think the ones I had been seeing were more. That said, if I come across one around election time and everyone is panic buying everything else I might put funds towards that opposed to optics. My only complaint with the L4U, and I think I brought this up in my OP, was that replacement pocket clips cannot be readily ordered from SF, if they could I'd have pieced together a light to these specs some time ago. Then again I have "fixed" an Emerson folder's pocket clip with nothing more than a vice grip and some brute force.
I'd be using it for a bedside light, so I've pared the options down to an EB2 (or L4U) and a P3X Fury. The prospect of carrying it when wardrobe allows has been enough to keep me looking for the EB2/L4U. And I'm with you on redirecting funding once everything kicks off... Sending money on stuff I don't need when November is around the corner feels silly.

But as it relates to EB1's; 200 lumen clicky (https://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Backup-Switch-Output-Flashlight/dp/B007S0L4FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471675430&sr=8-1&keywords=eb1) for $86... $86!, and 200 lumen tactical (https://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Backup-Tactical-Switch-Flashlight/dp/B007S0L57W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471675430&sr=8-2&keywords=eb1) for $135 (the silver). I have two of those.

Anyways, when I get the light I'll try to post some pics for everyone to drool....I mean see. :)
Dick.

kenny256
08-20-16, 09:24
I have been carrying a fenix pd20 for 6 years now? Best little pocket light I have owned...it's been the only one though! Thing is a tank spent two weeks under 2 ft of snow and was ran over by a snow plow. Looks used but has been very dependable. To bad it's been discontinued....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kain
08-20-16, 09:42
I'd be using it for a bedside light, so I've pared the options down to an EB2 (or L4U) and a P3X Fury. The prospect of carrying it when wardrobe allows has been enough to keep me looking for the EB2/L4U. And I'm with you on redirecting funding once everything kicks off... Sending money on stuff I don't need when November is around the corner feels silly.

But as it relates to EB1's; 200 lumen clicky (https://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Backup-Switch-Output-Flashlight/dp/B007S0L4FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471675430&sr=8-1&keywords=eb1) for $86... $86!, and 200 lumen tactical (https://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Backup-Tactical-Switch-Flashlight/dp/B007S0L57W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471675430&sr=8-2&keywords=eb1) for $135 (the silver). I have two of those.

I keep a G2X Tactical on my night stand, and in the kitchen, and on the work bench, and in the pack in my truck bag. The Fury is nice, but overkill for me. If you like clicky tailcaps the newest gen of the g2x actually had a pretty decent tailcap.

Well, I know what I'll be looking at down the road then. Actually may have to give them a consideration as a christmas gift for a friend of mine as well as another toy for myself if they are still around in a couple months. One light at a time though and well, I need to order more glock mags this coming week.

Dick.

It's Mr Richard to you ;)
Lol. I've been called that an worse. Hey, at least I ain't showing off some uber nice 1911 in the pic thread. That shit like porn.

Uprange41
08-20-16, 12:28
I keep a G2X Tactical on my night stand, and in the kitchen, and on the work bench, and in the pack in my truck bag. The Fury is nice, but overkill for me. If you like clicky tailcaps the newest gen of the g2x actually had a pretty decent tailcap.

Well, I know what I'll be looking at down the road then. Actually may have to give them a consideration as a christmas gift for a friend of mine as well as another toy for myself if they are still around in a couple months. One light at a time though and well, I need to order more glock mags this coming week.

It's Mr Richard to you ;)
Lol. I've been called that an worse. Hey, at least I ain't showing off some uber nice 1911 in the pic thread. That shit like porn.
Yup, I've got G2X's falling out of cabinets myself. And even a couple of 6P's rolling around. My main interest in the Fury and the EB2/L4U is the throw. I've got space, and I've got black bears... The EB1, even though 200 lumens, is a remarkable thrower (better than the G2X), but obviously you lose a lot of spill. The X300/M600/EB2/L4U's throw better and spill better, and that makes life a lot easier when trying to see into a tree-line 60 yards away. The P3X makes sense to me as a bedside light, it's just the prospect of carrying it keeps me from buying. I'll end up with both. Always do.

And no worries, Mr. Richard, at least posting photos of a light will only cost me $200... Every Wilson Combat photo I see makes me question things.

Adrenaline_6
08-20-16, 22:52
The Klarus XT line is another light to look at. The UI is one of if not the best IMHO...simple and easy to use. The light is very durable and the quality is top notch. Good price for what you are getting.

dm2206
08-21-16, 13:37
Surefire EB1 is great size and brightness. Perfect EDC for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kain
08-29-16, 17:09
Well the new light arrived today. Am very happy thus far. Lighter than I expected it to be seems to carry very nicely in my initial shove in pocket and do my stuff around the house. So far am very happy. Pictures to follow shortly.

Yup, I've got G2X's falling out of cabinets myself. And even a couple of 6P's rolling around. My main interest in the Fury and the EB2/L4U is the throw. I've got space, and I've got black bears... The EB1, even though 200 lumens, is a remarkable thrower (better than the G2X), but obviously you lose a lot of spill. The X300/M600/EB2/L4U's throw better and spill better, and that makes life a lot easier when trying to see into a tree-line 60 yards away. The P3X makes sense to me as a bedside light, it's just the prospect of carrying it keeps me from buying. I'll end up with both. Always do.

And no worries, Mr. Richard, at least posting photos of a light will only cost me $200... Every Wilson Combat photo I see makes me question things.

Lumens aren't everything and I would say that the reflector is going to make a difference with the G2X having what I have heard termed orange peel which gives more equal flood compared to tight beam and throw. I know I prefer my M600C to a G2X for a weapon light. If you are wanting something that will cut through the dark and reach out the LU4 might be your ticket, or something similar. Figure it is a basically an M600U without mount ability.

Kain
08-29-16, 18:01
Okay, currently trying to figure out best way to do a beam comparision for the damn light to a G2X, that said, if you've ever seen an M600U it the same.

Does feel lighter than a G2X though, albeit it slightly longer. It is a slimmer light though and the pocket clip fits fine.

And here is a gratuitous family shot of all my Surefires.

Uprange41
08-30-16, 20:13
Well the new light arrived today. Am very happy thus far. Lighter than I expected it to be seems to carry very nicely in my initial shove in pocket and do my stuff around the house. So far am very happy. Pictures to follow shortly.

Lumens aren't everything and I would say that the reflector is going to make a difference with the G2X having what I have heard termed orange peel which gives more equal flood compared to tight beam and throw. I know I prefer my M600C to a G2X for a weapon light. If you are wanting something that will cut through the dark and reach out the LU4 might be your ticket, or something similar. Figure it is a basically an M600U without mount ability.

Right, the E and M series are all TIR lights, so they're generally a little more throw-oriented. I haven't used a TIR light I haven't liked.

The 200 lumen EB1 is something like 10k Candela, the M600U/X300U-B/EB2 is 16.5k, and the G2X is somewhere around 8k IIRC. The newer 300 lumen EB1/E1D is actually something like 9k, it's less than the 200 lumen EB1.

But the only thing keeping me looking at the P3X is the 22k at peak. That is going to reach out very well. I was in an either-or sort of mindset, but now that I'm made aware of the L4U, I think I'll end up with both, rather than holding out for a stupid expensive EB2 Tactical.

And I'd post my Surefire family, but I don't need Euro telling me I'm part of the problem :P

Kain
08-30-16, 20:37
Right, the E and M series are all TIR lights, so they're generally a little more throw-oriented. I haven't used a TIR light I haven't liked.

The 200 lumen EB1 is something like 10k Candela, the M600U/X300U-B/EB2 is 16.5k, and the G2X is somewhere around 8k IIRC. The newer 300 lumen EB1/E1D is actually something like 9k, it's less than the 200 lumen EB1.

But the only thing keeping me looking at the P3X is the 22k at peak. That is going to reach out very well. I was in an either-or sort of mindset, but now that I'm made aware of the L4U, I think I'll end up with both, rather than holding out for a stupid expensive EB2 Tactical.

And I'd post my Surefire family, but I don't need Euro telling me I'm part of the problem :P

Well you have done more homework than I on the subject. As I have said before. I know enough to be very dangerous. And I am happy to show other options and help you spend money. Lol.

The EB1 at 200 lumens is attractive to me still may need to add one to my inventory. We will see in the upcoming months. With the new ones I expect to find some deals on old stock.

Uprange41
08-30-16, 21:12
Well you have done more homework than I on the subject. As I have said before. I know enough to be very dangerous. And I am happy to show other options and help you spend money. Lol.

The EB1 at 200 lumens is attractive to me still may need to add one to my inventory. We will see in the upcoming months. With the new ones I expect to find some deals on old stock.

Hah, I wouldn't call it homework... more like I just read the catalog to find out the numbers after seeing a difference. I actually got the EB1 because of the interface, and thought "meh, I'll deal with lower output". But when I put it up against the G2X and saw the big difference in throw, I was sold on TIR lights (as G2X's were my weapon lights). So, I found some catalog numbers, and sold myself on transitioning over to all M600/X300's on guns, which is just... once you see an X300U-B at 100 yards, it's hard to go back to a G2X lol.

Straight Shooter
09-18-16, 05:16

AWESOME light...