PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new AR need some advice

loki993
03-14-16, 11:16
I got a 6920 last year and I'm currently in the market for another. There is nothing the 6920 does wrong for my purposes it's just I feel the need for a second military pattern rifle for the collection. I also think I'm either going to SBR the colt I have now or the new gun...for a few more options and since I don't really have any interest in a SPR/DMR type rifle. Anything I'm shooting at will be inside 300 yards.

So here is the dilemma...I really like the Daniel Defense guns..but I don't like the price. I can get another 6920 OEM, drop a HG and stock on it for right around 1K. A DDM4V11 is going to run me around 1500. What does that extra 500 get me? A little nicer finish, I do really like the mil spec+ bronze but even that's an extra 200 over the 1500 on the standard gun? Aside from the name for what I'm doing, shooting either gun i'd be hard pressed to tell the difference I think..they're both high quality guns.

Also it feel a bit weird just buying the exact same gun I already have....but it's a means to an end...they won't be the same forever.

So for my purposes what do you think? I mean it probably seems obvious..I can get the colt, have a standard upper, get an SBR upper and only be out a touch more than if I bought the DD. If I went DD I would actually buy a pistol and then put a stock on it once the paperwork clears.

Doing searches on the internet seems to correlate quality to price....a few years ago when colts were expensive they were some of the best...now that they're cheap...people don't see to regard them with the same esteem..but that the internet for you and I take stuff like that with a grain of salt.

So the TL;DR is DD better than colt? Is DD better than colt enough to justify an extras 500 bucks.

One other thing. I know this is M4 carbine but as for semi auto rifles all I have is the colt and an SKS....if there was another military rifle to add the the collection is 2 ARs the best option or is there something else I should be looking at? For me it seems really hard going against the AR15 from the simple standpoint of how modular they are....you can really make one do just about anything you want it to....you really cant say that about any other rifle...

sva01
03-14-16, 14:16
The old adage that you see around here is:
One is none, two is one.

If you're going to go the NFA route anyway, buy a Colt 6933 SBR and call it good.

_Stormin_
03-14-16, 14:30
Are you a patient human being? Buy a second rifle and SBR the lower... I know very few people who say that they wish they'd never bothered getting their SBR. I think it's currently one guy.

loki993
03-14-16, 14:50
I can be patient, but that was the whole reason to get a "pistol" or get another 6920, SBR it and get the SBR upper later once the approval comes through. That way I'd have something to play with while Im was waiting for the paperwork to clear.

just to clarify the question isn't really to SBR or not SBR, Im 99 percent sure Im going with an SBR. The real question is do I get another Colt and save myself 500 bucks which would then go to an SPR upper later..or just go with a DD because I like the DDs. I just don't think there is enough difference between the 2 to tell a difference...especially at the distances Im shooting at.

SonOfAGunn
03-14-16, 17:31
The Slim rail that comes with the v11 is $300, that's a pretty big chunk of that 500, the rest boils down to the finish and furniture that comes on DD rifles. You can't forget DD's customer service as well. You'll also be getting a mid-length gas system with the v11. That leaves you options if you ever want to chop the barrel. There's a thread started in here where a guy chopped a mid-length and made it into an 11.5 sbr and he says it works. You say that you won't be shooting longer distances now, but if you're like most of the people that post in here, things change.

If it's within your budget, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the v11.

loki993
03-15-16, 00:05
Sounds interesting but it also sounds like it could be a lot of work. If I were to do that why not just get the DD, keep it as is, SBR the colt and cut that barrel down? It's already carbine length and would probably give me less trouble and require a heck of a lot less tuning to get it to run.

elephant
03-15-16, 00:16
Go with Colt! That way you save money on the purchase and don't feel too bad if you change out major parts later on because your still on a Colt foundation. In the end, you will have 2 Colts, one carbine and another sbr.

Gumier6
03-15-16, 23:50
Have you also looked at BCM? No need to chop anything if you SBR the lower first.

loki993
03-16-16, 00:13
Have you also looked at BCM? No need to chop anything if you SBR the lower first.

I have a little and if I SBR my lower i'll probably get one of their uppers. The place I'll probably be getting the gun from has all 3 so I guess I just need to go take a look. The also do all the NFA stuff as well so they will help me out with the paperwork.

Iraqgunz
03-16-16, 04:25
I would never buy an overgassed Colt 6933 when there are too many good options on the market.

themonk
03-16-16, 05:54
I agree with Guns. If you are looking to get an SBR, I personally would buy a lower (BCM, DD, LMT, Sionics, Noveske) and then get the upper I want. If the upper config you want is a 6933, then I guess that’s your answer but I think there are LOT of great SBR uppers on the market.

loki993
03-16-16, 09:10
No honestly the 6933, for the price, Id just get a DD or Bravo I think. For colt i'd lust get another OEM 6920 1 or 2, it's a hard deal to beat for 800 bucks.

Is Noveske still what it once was? They were top of the line but really expensive...I always liked them but could never justify the money, too much other goods stuff out there for a lot less. FOTMs change and don't hear them mentioned nearly as much as they were say 5 or 6 years ago. Plus I think a lot of other places have stepped up their game or have gotten recognised for their excellent work too..

themonk
03-16-16, 09:20
No honestly the 6933, for the price, Id just get a DD or Bravo I think. For colt i'd lust get another OEM 6920 1 or 2, it's a hard deal to beat for 800 bucks.

If you can find an OEM and then have it cut down + furniture it would all be a wash with the cost if you built one.

PrevailFI
03-17-16, 16:28
A 5R barreled M&P Sport is better than a Colt 6920/6720. Just ask "Dolomite Supafly" on TNgunowners.com he's holding forth at Great length on that topic right now in the long guns forum!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

loki993
03-18-16, 12:52
Yeah...still not getting a S&W..great entry level gun but for the money Colts are going for Im always choosing the colt.

PrevailFI
03-18-16, 13:16
Yeah...still not getting a S&W..great entry level gun but for the money Colts are going for Im always choosing the colt.
I was being facetious Loki. Colt 6720 is the shtuff.

loki993
03-19-16, 00:45
I was being facetious Loki. Colt 6720 is the shtuff.

lol I know..it more directed towards the thread on TNguns....