PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else prefer USGI over Lancer, Pmag, etc?

XD40Colorado
03-14-16, 13:37
I have about 10 of each type, with the USGIs upgraded with magpul follower and L plates. All have been reliable. Nothing against the polymer mags, but I just like the look and feel of w a USGI. Anyone else feel that way?

Nightstalker865
03-14-16, 14:00
No, I much prefer the P-mags. Gen 2-3 have always worked flawlessly for me. Even in some nasty conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XD40Colorado
03-14-16, 14:02
No, I much prefer the P-mags. Gen 2-3 have always worked flawlessly for me. Even in some nasty conditions.

Can you elaborate on the "nasty conditions"?
Thanks.

t15
03-14-16, 14:15
The biggest advantage of pmags from my understanding is the geometry. No idea if the latest surefeed, d&h, and lancer mags incorporate this enhanced design. There is a good thread titled d&h vs okay that should answer your questions.

Seems lots of people have sworn off pmags in favor of GI or lancer after splitting spines.

Pmags also use CS springs vs stainless which is a much better, longer lasting spring steel. Not sure what's shipping in competitors products.

_Stormin_
03-14-16, 14:19
Pretty much all magazines have their proponents and their detractors here. I have a blend of PMAGs, GI Mags, and Lancers. All have worked well for me. My USGI mags originally were acquired to go with a retro build that I was going to do, and I ended up liking them enough to stock up when quality mags were available at a great price.

Nightstalker865
03-14-16, 14:40
Can you elaborate on the "nasty conditions"?
Thanks.

Sand, mud, swamp muck, salt water, sub zero temps, and 130+ degree temps. Also extreme temp swings. They just flat work.

USGI mags with the updated followers work, but they aren't my personal preference for field use.

XD40Colorado
03-14-16, 14:46
That's pretty impressive Nightstalker.

FWIW, I saw them doing a training exercise here in New Mexico, at the Double Eagle II Airport (private/corporate airfield).
It was pretty cool. They were giving out posters and such and doing some flying demonstrations...pretty slick operators.

HKGuns
03-14-16, 14:54
I have far more GI mags than PMags mainly because I've stocked up when they were cheap for those times when they are not. Both seem to work just fine in most of my rifles although I have a few rifles where PMags don't fit.

Nightstalker865
03-14-16, 14:54
That's pretty impressive Nightstalker.

FWIW, I saw them doing a training exercise here in New Mexico, at the Double Eagle II Airport (private/corporate airfield).
It was pretty cool. They were giving out posters and such and doing some flying demonstrations...pretty slick operators.

If you ever get the opportunity to attend the annual SOFIC in Tampa, you'd be in for a treat. It's one of the few times each year the public gets to see the birds up close and have a glimpse at what they are capable of. Never a fun event as far as planning goes, but it makes for a nice change from the "routine."

Glad you enjoyed the exercise in NM.

XD40Colorado
03-14-16, 14:57
THanks for the replies guys :cool:

KalashniKEV
03-14-16, 14:57
90% of the time it's USGI for me... although I do have a few PMags and Lancers in the mix.

I've saved myself a ton of headache, butthurt, and money by not chasing the new hotness in Mag wars, Lube wars, etc...

Probably enough to justify that I never shoot Russian 5.56 or 9mm.
(Which may be my pet issue if I have one...)

DreadPirateMoyer
03-14-16, 15:09
I have a 50/50 split of both NHMTG USGI and PMAGs. It's like stocks: best to diversify. That said, if I could only have one, it would be PMAGs. I have yet to abuse a PMAG to death. I've killed a few USGIs.

I've also used other brands (Lancer, C-Products, Troy, D&H, etc.) as test mules, but those two are the only ones that met my standards.

The biggest advantage of pmags from my understanding is the geometry. No idea if the latest surefeed, d&h, and lancer mags incorporate this enhanced design. There is a good thread titled d&h vs okay that should answer your questions.

Seems lots of people have sworn off pmags in favor of GI or lancer after splitting spines.

Pmags also use CS springs vs stainless which is a much better, longer lasting spring steel. Not sure what's shipping in competitors products.

I'm 99.99% sure PMAGs are SS. Magpul tried CS and even with coatings, it didn't meet their standards for salt spray testing. Also, CS provides a longer life, but probably not necessarily a longer useful life. The bigger threat to mag springs in my experience is corrosion, not cyclic fatigue. I've had to replace many CS springs in old beater mags due to rust. I've only replaced one SS spring due to loss of spring strength.

ColtSeavers
03-14-16, 15:46
USGI, though my small number of Troy battlemags get used and abused the most and continue to do their job.

thebarracuda
03-14-16, 15:57
I use both and like both. My preferences run a little towards the GI mags just because two tuck into a pocket a little better. So generally when I'm on my range I'm running a GI mag for this reason. However, a Pmag rides in the well of my bedside gun. Its like my wife picking her outfit for the night, its a 'feeling at the moment' thing for me. But only because I only run quality GI mags. My split is pretty much 50/50 Pmag/GI.

seant8
03-14-16, 16:05
I've always stuck with Pmags, although there is nothing wrong with GI mags. To me they are more affordable than Lancer mags and have enough features to keep me choosing them. Magpul is also a great and innovative company that I don't mind giving my money to.

bfoosh006
03-14-16, 16:16
Deleted

Dionysusigma
03-14-16, 20:23
Have run both PMags and USGI, have had both fail on me (split welds near the top on the USGIs, bolt hold-open failure on the PMags).

That said, of my current stock, 20-25% are Okay Industries and FN USGIs with MagPul followers, the rest are PMag Gen 3s. Haven't wanted (or needed) to buy any new magazines in years. Kinda like the USGI mags a little better since they're not as bulky. Think I have a Troy BattleMag and PMag Gen II 20rd in there somewhere, too.

556BlackRifle
03-14-16, 21:10
I have USGI and PMags. Love my PMags but USGI gets the job done quite nicely as well.

Primus Pilum
03-14-16, 21:19
Lancer > Colt 20rnders > USGI > PMAGS

kenny256
03-14-16, 21:30
Pmags and usgi mags have never given me a problem. I have never felt the need to even buy lancers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DreadPirateMoyer
03-14-16, 21:44
Lancer > Colt 20rnders > USGI > PMAGS

:rolleyes:

MeanCarbine
03-14-16, 21:56
Funny. I just said to friend the other day that I think I like my GI mags better that my pmags. lol

Just tried out my Lancers this weekend and like them too. My Hexmags had trouble locking in fully loaded with 30. So far the only other troubles I've had were with my ETS mags...have seen some double feeding. I'll test them out again this week.

mariodesmo
03-14-16, 22:25
I've been a big fan of USGI 20 round mags for more than 30 years.
I do have Pmags and I like them just fine, and tend to use so I can
keep my Colt mags in like new condition.

quackhead
03-15-16, 00:40
PMags and USGI mags are good to go. I prefer the magpul follower in USGI mags. I've run a handful of lancer mags and am luke warm to them

elephant
03-15-16, 01:44
I like that Magpul includes fitted dust covers for there Pmags.

Iraqgunz
03-15-16, 06:18
Donald Trump told me to diversify. That's why I have a few hundred stockpiled. USGI, PMAG's of various flavor, Surefire mags Lancers and throw away Troy's.

Watrdawg
03-15-16, 07:13
I've got a ton of both PMAGS and USGI mags. They both have worked fine for me and I pick up what ever happens to be on sale at any given time.

XD40Colorado
03-15-16, 09:03
Donald Trump told me to diversify. That's why I have a few hundred stockpiled. USGI, PMAG's of various flavor, Surefire mags Lancers and throw away Troy's.

LOL!!

Primus Pilum
03-15-16, 09:37
:rolleyes:

Carried all 4 into combat, how about you? Maybe contribute something instead of trying to troll.

Nothing beats the Colt 20rnders for vehicle ops. Makes getting in/out M1151 & MRAP 's a whole lot easier.

Primus Pilum
03-15-16, 09:37

How do you like the SF 60 & 100's. Never dropped the coin on them but haven't heard glowing reviews. Have you gotten them to work?

feraldog
03-15-16, 10:24
i like pmags in the firearm, but won't use them in my vest which holds two in each pouch.

when removing one, the structural-support ridges catch and pull the second one out.

no problem with USGI-style mags...

stitch702
03-15-16, 10:42
I can agree with the op. I prefer usgi mags over pmags and other polymer brands. I have broken several pmags by accidentally dropping them on the rocks, gravel, or cement at my range or in the desert.

Sent via pony express

nova3930
03-15-16, 11:13
Mix of USGI and Pmags. Whatever is on sale usually. Have a half dozen Troy I got as freebies that I use for 300 mags.

To me mags are wear items such that quantity has a certain quality all it's own. Everything made by a man breaks somehow someway so have the ability to quickly replace it when it does...

Iraqgunz
03-15-16, 15:25
I bought 3 (Surefire 60's) when they were released. I ran them all in a 3 day Magpul course and they ran 100%. I ran them again in another course and then a Patrol Rifle course. Never had an issue. The one single problem that will occur is if you drop one partially loaded. The rounds will dislodge and cause it to bind.

I don't drop partially loaded mags. If I do, I won't be worried about using it.

How do you like the SF 60 & 100's. Never dropped the coin on them but haven't heard glowing reviews. Have you gotten them to work?

Iraqgunz
03-15-16, 15:26
You should probably contact Magpul. I am sure they would love to hear about that. Myself and many others have dropped them with no ill effects.

I can agree with the op. I prefer usgi mags over pmags and other polymer brands. I have broken several pmags by accidentally dropping them on the rocks, gravel, or cement at my range or in the desert.

Sent via pony express

rapomstage3
03-15-16, 18:30
Lately I've grown to love the lancer mags. I only use them for 300 black but there's something about them that just feels like quality. I cannot speak to durability or reliability as of yet. I have more p mags than anything else and some have been through some rough stuff. Not an operator or anything just drop my rifle a lot at the range for some reason.

ramairthree
03-15-16, 18:37
I have used GI forever, Pmags and Troy battle mags for less time.

Have a few of others, such as hexmag, lancer, etc.

I bought a bunch of the Troy at 7 bucks each. When Pmags go on sale I get a dozen. Usually the gen 2s. When PSA puts the GI with followers I order some of them.

Surefire and HK I have tried,
Both are a fountain of gullets when dropped.

samuse
03-15-16, 19:25
I've used real g.i.s, Rev Ms, and new Gen M3s and they all work.

I have deadlined more g.i.s than Pmags, mostly due to impacts. In my experience, a Pmag will endure much more than a g.i. mag. The Tango Down mags are hell for stout too. Moreso than Pmags IMO.

Epoxy
03-15-16, 21:36
I have a couple Lancers and pmags, all gifts or freebies. I've got many many more usgi. I've always followed the doctrine that mags are expendable throw away items. If it breaks on the range, mark it, toss it. I don't mean to sound like I don't take care of my gear, it's just I have had so few usgi mag failures in 8 years and it's a cheap replacement when I do.

quackhead
03-15-16, 23:52
You should probably contact Magpul. I am sure they would love to hear about that. Myself and many others have dropped them with no ill effects.

I agree. Have dropped numerous P mags on various surfaces with no issues

556BlackRifle
03-16-16, 10:37
I agree. Have dropped numerous P mags on various surfaces with no issues

You can add my name to that list as well. I've been klutzy with PMags and they've never let me down.

stitch702
03-16-16, 17:17
Perhaps my use of the word "several" in my post may be taken out of context. "Several has actually been 3-4 that have broken. I'm in no way bashing Magpul I do love their magazines and they function fine. The ones that broke were from accidents/ stupidity and they all had appeared to break at the feed lips area and were fully loaded with steel cased Ammo. Two broke when they were resting on top of the hood of my lifted jeep and someone accidentally knocked them down onto the concrete and that's where it broke. These were gen 2's. Magpul magazines especially the newer gens are great, I just have an abundance of usgi magazines and those are my preference.

Sent via pony express

_Stormin_
03-16-16, 20:52
I still would have sent them in to Magpul to see what they had to say. I have ejected mags due to "random malfunctions" (dummy rounds randomly inserted in the mag to sim a failure) and had them dump from 5+ feet right onto concrete, sometimes with 25-28 rounds in them. Zero issues...

That said, I love USGI mags from the right mfgs too.

Primus Pilum
03-16-16, 21:17
PMAGS breaking/cracking when dropped on hard surfaces is not a secret. Feed lip expansion and cracking is not a secret. They are good for what they are, cheap, reliable consumable magazines. All magazines are consumable items, but some are just built to last longer.

If you are in a ban or soon to be ban state, they wouldn't be my first, second or 3rd choice for mags that need to last decades.

USGI mags are still hard to beat for value.

twm134
03-16-16, 21:17
I've tossed somewhere between 15 to 20 FDE 30 round P mags after their feed lips cracked while using them at temps of ~10 degrees or below. All gen 2. I've also used black ones at the same temps with no problems. I prefer NHMTG/Colt/Okay Ind. milspec but black P mags are a close second.

stitch702
03-16-16, 23:12
I've tossed somewhere between 15 to 20 FDE 30 round P mags after their feed lips cracked while using them at temps of ~10 degrees or below. All gen 2. I've also used black ones at the same temps with no problems. I prefer NHMTG/Colt/Okay Ind. milspec but black P mags are a close second.

Hmm that's an interesting observation. My Pmags that have cracked or broken were also gen 2 FDE. I didn't think color would affect durability as I assume all magpul mags went through go same manufacturing process regardless of color

Sent via pony express

Iraqgunz
03-17-16, 00:11
Steel magazines and aluminum ones get damaged as well. All magazines are disposable, regardless of name or material.

PMAGS breaking/cracking when dropped on hard surfaces is not a secret. Feed lip expansion and cracking is not a secret. They are good for what they are, cheap, reliable consumable magazines. All magazines are consumable items, but some are just built to last longer.

If you are in a ban or soon to be ban state, they wouldn't be my first, second or 3rd choice for mags that need to last decades.

twm134
03-17-16, 00:12
I believe it has been well observed that non black P mags are less durable than any other color. It is telling that the newer mags were only offered in black. Now "Sand" is available and is advertised as being more durable than black. I've been meaning to pick one up to try but I haven't gotten around to it.

In warmer weather I have used non black P mags for thousands of rounds per mag before feed lips cracked. I haven't had any black ones crack yet. In cold weather (0 degrees or less) I have taken brand new FDE mags out of the plastic wrapper, loaded them and had them crack after as few as 30 rounds. I suppose I should have contacted Magpul for their input but for some reason it never occurred to me. But then, I've never been accused of being too smart.

twm134
03-17-16, 00:32

What would be your first, second and third choice for mags that need to last decades?

zackmars
03-17-16, 02:05
Lancers are my go-to, followed by USGI

At one point i was mostly using Pmags, but i found that i preferred other mags, for no real reason.

Korgs130
03-17-16, 09:00
I've got a pretty even mix of USGI and PMAGs in my inventory. I also have a several Tango Down ARC Mk2 mags and like those a lot.

Primus Pilum
03-17-16, 10:36
What would be your first, second and third choice for mags that need to last decades?

Colt 20's, USGI 30's & Lancer AW5M's.