PDA

View Full Version : HK VP40 locked up

OIPactual
03-14-16, 20:59
I had a customer bring in a HK VP40 locked up today. The customer says that he field stripped the gun, cleaned, lubed, and then when he went to put the slide on the frame, he accidentally hit the takedown lever. This locked the gun up so tight that I cannot move the slide at all, the guide rod and barrel will not move a millimeter. I have never seen a gun lock up this tight. It seems odd that the gun would do this when accidentally tripping the lever.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/14/6e2226c7473c39ca4b11cb9b4a8ede67.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/14/0445c62a20df36e8503e572a2c62684f.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/14/c2f8be3181dc7e9c3adb868564b02769.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/14/f0ac054d74b25ae3539f00402fa39d90.jpg

Just thought I would see what you guys think. The gun has been sent into the factory for repair. I decided to send it in before I threw it out the window [emoji6].

Thanks for looking.

Chris

CoryCop25
03-14-16, 21:12
It could be the picture, but it looks as if the barrel is too far forward for how far the slide is back. The barrel lug could be jammed up against the barrel of the take down lever causing all kinds of craziness.

lazerblazer
03-14-16, 21:24
PM sent

OIPactual
03-14-16, 21:27
It could be the picture, but it looks as if the barrel is too far forward for how far the slide is back. The barrel lug could be jammed up against the barrel of the take down lever causing all kinds of craziness.

That is correct. I can't even move the lever. The whole thing is locked up so tight even tapping with a plastic hammer won't move any parts.

OIPactual
03-14-16, 21:30
PM sent
It won't let me respond to your pm. Thanks for the tip though I'll remember that for the future.

Brahmzy
03-14-16, 22:20
Is it me or is that slide actually freakin' bent. Impressive.

Adrenaline_6
03-14-16, 22:29
Your customer is saying that hitting the lever locked it up and from what Brahmzy observed and I concur looks like bent the slide? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you got the full story.

Brahmzy
03-14-16, 22:37
Exactly. There's no way that thing jumped the front rails like that on its own without the perfect combination of dumbassery.

RHINOWSO
03-14-16, 22:40
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you got the full story.
It's not just you...

OrbitalE
03-14-16, 22:43
Not sure that it's bent, but it's definitely not level. The front of the slide is far too high off the frame for it to be properly seated on the frame rails. Owner may have bent/peened the rails if he was trying to smack after locking it up.

RHINOWSO
03-14-16, 22:44
And yes, that slide looks bent from VP40 marking forward.

While it might have started as the customer mention, methinks someone applied some serious force to correct the issue before bringing it to the gunsmith...

lazerblazer
03-14-16, 23:18
It's not the slide gents it's the frame that's flexing.

sent from LazerPhone

tarkeg
03-14-16, 23:20
And yes, that slide looks bent from VP40 marking forward.

While it might have started as the customer mention, methinks someone applied some serious force to correct the issue before bringing it to the gunsmith...

I agree about the "Pre-gunsmith application of force". But I think the bent slide is an optical illusion. I think the frame is being pushed down and away from the slide. The frame is flexed.

JulyAZ
03-14-16, 23:23
I agree about the "Pre-gunsmith application of force". But I think the bent slide is an optical illusion. I think the frame is being pushed down and away from the slide. The frame is flexed.

That's how I see it as well it isn't hard to get a slide to rise above the rails, it's a simple catch to make I can do it on my G19 relatively easy. I've never forced it on but I'm sure you could have some serious issues like we see here.

Linebacker
03-14-16, 23:26
A couple of squirts of WD40 and a chest high drop onto a carpeted floor should fix-it up. :-)

Benito
03-15-16, 03:47
After reading this thread, I took apart my Glock and tried intentionally putting it back together in absurd ways. Tried disassembling with a dummy round in the chamber, reassembling without the recoil spring assembly, pushing down on the slide stop/takedown thingie. Was not able to get it to lock up.
Then again, I didn't use "pre-gunsmith application of force" either (that term is bloody brilliantly hilarious, by the way).

Larry Vickers
03-15-16, 05:06
'When sophistication and persuasion fail, brute force and ignorance shall prevail'

montrala
03-15-16, 06:31
My friend, when assembling PC (he did that for a living) and seeing 3 pin connector that must go into two pin socket used to say "man is always stronger than matter". I believe that this apply to firearms as well. Waiting to see how it was fixed. In case I manage to achieve similar results with my SFP9 (however how I would be able to do this evades my imagination at the moment).

RHINOWSO
03-15-16, 07:53

Could be, but I doubt that the owner told the whole story on what was done to this pistol.

BBossman
03-15-16, 09:21
At this point, the only logical course of action is to break it down and see whats up...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/chop%20saw_zpsuiqjkjvg.jpg

OIPactual
03-15-16, 09:45
The l frame is definitely bending in the picture. The customer is very likely hiding something.

I have had a Glock brought in that was similarly locked up, however in that case we were able to remove the takedown lever using a needle and get the slide back off that way. I thought about removing the lever on the HK but it is trapped by the slide.

Thanks for all the responses.

FWIW I have a VP9 and I could not replicate the issue. However I am sure there is more to the story than we all know.

Primus Pilum
03-15-16, 09:47
Looking forward to all the posts across the interwebs about how the VP9/40 is a jamomatic and locks up under normal use.............With this picture as reference.

OIPactual
03-15-16, 09:48
'When sophistication and persuasion fail, brute force and ignorance shall prevail'
Brilliant!

OIPactual
03-15-16, 09:49
At this point, the only logical course of action is to break it down and see whats up...

Don't think it didn't cross my mind.

Brahmzy
03-15-16, 10:06
Looking forward to all the posts across the interwebs about how the VP9/40 is a jamomatic and locks up under normal use.............With this picture as reference.

LOL! Good call. Better ditch my VP9 now while the ditchin's good!

TMS951
03-15-16, 10:27

Likely to be captioned "When you get a VP9/40 wet"

arbninftry
03-15-16, 11:29
Did he throw it around and hit it with a sledge hammer? He might be watching to much Youtube!!!

WickedWillis
03-15-16, 11:55

Lol I sell those

BBossman
03-15-16, 13:58
Lol I sell those

I see a GoFundMe campaign coming...

MegademiC
03-15-16, 20:19
It looks like the guide rod is "wrong".

I locked up my mp one time cause the guide rod fell off the barrel. Try pulling the guide rod forward, or at least moving it and see if that allows movement. It may take 2 people.

OIPactual
03-16-16, 06:13
It looks like the guide rod is "wrong".

I locked up my mp one time cause the guide rod fell off the barrel. Try pulling the guide rod forward, or at least moving it and see if that allows movement. It may take 2 people.
The guide rod will spin but it won't move parallel to the frame in either direction. It felt like the locking lugs on the bottom of the barrel were locked up against the takedown lever.

TAZ
03-16-16, 09:12
That's an easy fix. Just need a bigger hammer. Your problem lies with the use of a small plastic hammer.

Damn. Had a Glock do that once when a "gunsmith" was swapping out my guide rod for a non captive jobber. The rod slipped out from its spot under the barrel and got wedged real good. Took a decent amount of pushing to get it out. Interested in hearing what HK has to say.

GregP220
03-18-16, 13:45
FWIW I have a VP9 and I could not replicate the issue.

Use MOAR Dumbassery

OIPactual
03-18-16, 15:19
Use MOAR Dumbassery
Apparently I don't have the capacity for that much. I tried my best and short of pounding it into place with a hammer, I can't figure it out.[emoji12]

armtx77
03-19-16, 08:38
Apparently I don't have the capacity for that much. I tried my best and short of pounding it into place with a hammer, I can't figure it out.[emoji12]

I had the same issue on the VP9 and it was 100% operator error on putting it back together. The lever was not in the correct position when he put the slide back on and he forced the slide over the top of the take down lever.

It is a pain in the Richard to get undone. I sold both my VP9's shortly after, but for other reasons. If memory serves me correct, I had to pull back on the trigger and force the slide back forward.

OIPactual
03-19-16, 08:39
I had the same issue on the VP9 and it was 100% operator error on putting it back together. The lever was not in the correct position when he put the slide back on and he forced the slide over the top of the take down lever.

It is a pain in the Richard to get undone. I sold both my VP9's shortly after, but for other reasons. If memory serves me correct, I had to pull back on the trigger and force the slide back forward.
Thanks for the information, I'll keep in in mind of another comes in.

gunrunner505
03-19-16, 15:42
If it won't go, force it.
If it breaks, it needed to be fixed anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mauser KAR98K
03-19-16, 22:16
Did he throw it around and hit it with a sledge hammer? He might be watching to much Youtube!!!

I can safely say that it wasn't mine.

montrala
03-20-16, 10:33
I took my SFP9 (Euro VP9), removed slide, flipped disassembly lever back into "closed" position, then tried to force slide back in place. Only I did not need to force it. It just went smoothly back in place and it forced disassembly lever to go into open position while I was doing it. Then I tried to play with disassembly lever while I was moving slide assembly back and forth, w/o much success ("success"="locked up pistol"). I think that owner of this locked VP40 was much more clever than me then.

Cincinnatus
03-20-16, 14:37
I took my SFP9 (Euro VP9), removed slide, flipped disassembly lever back into "closed" position, then tried to force slide back in place. Only I did not need to force it. It just went smoothly back in place and it forced disassembly lever to go into open position while I was doing it. Then I tried to play with disassembly lever while I was moving slide assembly back and forth, w/o much success ("success"="locked up pistol"). I think that owner of this locked VP40 was much more clever than me then.

Thanks for the info.
Some people are always determined to smash a square peg into a round hole whenever encountered; either the hammer of Thor or the blubber of Bubba can do it, but never the simple smoothness of common sense.

Slvr Surfr
03-20-16, 15:03
ROFLMAO..... :lol:

If it won't go, force it.
If it breaks, it needed to be fixed anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kantstudien
03-22-16, 00:18
Recoil rod was probably installed incorrectly and jumped off the half-moon cutout. Happens to Gen 4 Glocks quite frequently too.

Need to grab the tip of the guide rod and try to pull it forward and set back into the half-moon on the barrel.

The problem with idiot-proofing is we evolve greater and greater idiots.

montrala
03-22-16, 04:36
It looks like end of recoil assembly may be positioned past barrel control lug. In this case it can't be pulled forward. Only thing that comes to my mind is rubber mallet to back on slide. But recoil assembly will probably shave of some polymer out of dust cover.

williejc
03-23-16, 23:20
He cross-threaded it. :nono:

Spiffums
03-29-16, 10:40
That is correct. I can't even move the lever. The whole thing is locked up so tight even tapping with a plastic hammer won't move any parts.

You know it's messed up with hitting it with a hammer wont fix it! :o

OIPactual
03-29-16, 10:41
You know it's messed up with hitting it with a hammer wont fix it! :o
Why work harder when you can just go get a bigger hammer? [emoji12]

Jpoe88
03-30-16, 06:43
In for recoil rod. When i first saw it all I could think is why is the barrel and recoil rod that far past the end of the frame if the slide is nearly flush with the frame? Looks like what was mentioned. Recoil rod wasnt seated correctly and the guy chambered and shot a round.

What do you expect? Its a .40 s&w. You know how thise guys are!

foxjordan22
03-31-16, 06:58
We had something similar with our rental VP9 a customer pushed down the take down lever instead of the slide lock while in the range shooting. He first pushed down the takedown lever then the slide release then he fired the gun. Locked up just like you are showing. All I had to do was hammer the barrel straight back and engage the take down lever. Worked 100% fine after that.

Big A
04-11-16, 13:55
Any update on how this pistol got FUBAR?

Big A
05-10-16, 09:51
Any update on how this pistol got FUBAR?

Any updates yet?

OIPactual
05-10-16, 12:33
It came back with a service slip that just said they basically took it apart, put it back together and test fired. No details from them as to what was wrong.

lwrkeysfisher
05-10-16, 17:46
A similar thing happened to me, took a fair bit of force (applied by hand) and a little lube to get it unfracked. Gun has run fine and thankfully no idiot marks left to remind me.