PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with E-Lander Steel 30-round mags (Gen 3)

XD40Colorado
03-15-16, 09:27
I recently bought 5 of these from Botach, for $9.99 a piece, thinking that as they were steel, they would be more durable than aluminum USGI.
Couldn't be more wrong.

I set out to destroy them, and was (surprisingly) easily successful in my attempts. I loaded 3 of them to 30 rounds and then dropped twice each on the feedlips, left side, right side, and baseplate. After this minimal abuse, none of the 3 would load into the magazine well of my DDM4. Once I took a vise grip and bent them back into shape they would feed, but it required an extremely hard shove/slap and the push-pull method to seat them. Then, none of them of would drop free. One was lodged in so tightly I had to step on the buffer tube and force the rifle into the ground while pulling the magazine out; even then it barely came free.
That said, when they were forced in, they fed fine in live fire at the range, so that's something.

For comparison, I did the same with three well-used Lancer L5 AWMs (which have survived a carbine course and lots of training abuse), and there were zero issues with the Lancers. All fed and ejected fine.

Thoughts?

1911-A1
03-15-16, 09:40
There are lots of reports of the ELanders having issues seating and feeding.

I got 5 of the earliest ones back in 2012 when they were all that was available. They seat fine, but I had to replace the followers with modified Magpuls because the originals had feed issues.

Primus Pilum
03-15-16, 09:43
Lander mags has a pretty bad reputation. Mako has burned alot of people with those mags and refuses to make it right. See if you can get a refund from Botach.

I wouldn't give them a dime.

XD40Colorado
03-15-16, 09:59
To be fair, I DID abuse them, as post states...but two drop tests? A GOOD mag should be able to withstand that!

Iraqgunz
03-15-16, 16:51
They don't have a shocked face emoticon here.

Caduceus
03-15-16, 21:53
Lander mags has a pretty bad reputation. Mako has burned alot of people with those mags and refuses to make it right. See if you can get a refund from Botach.

I wouldn't give them a dime.

This.. Check out TOS in Mako's industry forum for the drama. I own a few 2012 versions, NIW, that will be sold in the next panic. Not on this forum.